PDA

View Full Version : Beginning My Growing Adventure, How often should I trim??

ZeppHead
July 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
The last day of March I cut my hair to just below shoulder and have dedicated every ounce of willpower to keeping it healthy so I can grow it out again. I have stopped using the flat and curling iron, even the blow dryer. It was rough for the first few weeks but I don't mind now. I wash every 3rd day with Garnier Color Shield and condition with either Suave, Garnier or Herbal Essences. I check my hair daily for split or rough ends and have not come across more than 3 or 4 split ends since my big cut. I am about at APL right now and the growing process is literally KILLING ME! I plan on going for trims maybe every 4 months since I have naturally thin, fine hair and it tends to get very thin at the ends if I just grow without trims. Getting trims is really hard for me, I get really depressed when it's nearing time for that but I know I have to. I have, in the past, gotten major cuts and been scared to death to go to the salon again and just forwent any kind of trimming for the next year or two but my hair looked horrible and very thin at the ends. I want to do things right this time and get regular trims but I am trying to keep as much growth as possible so is every 4months good since my hair is thin or should I wait til it looks like I need it? I am afraid if I wait that long though I will end up not going at all and just end up with split and thin ends like I did the times before. Since I have thin hair is it best to get more often trims to try and keep it looking thicker or should I just wait til I notice damage and keep growing??
Any other tips that would be handy in keeping it the healthiest possible for getting the most growth with the least amount of trimming? Would S&Ding be enough to get me longer again faster or would actual trims be beneficial since I do not want my hair to thin out...

enjay
July 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
If you are looking after your hair and not heat styling you might find your hair doesn't go thin at the ends due to less breakage. I've got very thin fine hair too and last July I ditched the chemical dye and stopped heat styling. I planned to have a split end removal every 6 months, it is due now (last time DEcember) but it doesn't need it at all.

ZeppHead
July 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I never considered that. I have been flat ironing for many years and stopped right after my cut so I will keep an eye on the ends! Thanks!

Madora
July 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
A small trim every 4 months would seem good to me. It is better to cut those splits and damaged hair, rather than grow the hair longer without trimming. If you don't trim, those ends will split more..and more..and more. Get those splits while they're young!

The growing out phase is hard for everyone. It seems to take forever to make progress...but you do!

Just be gentle with your hair..no blow drying, no hot ironing, no straigtening, no chemicals.

Do S and D (search and destroy) every month.

Use a wide tooth comb and a pure boar bristle brush.

HOW you use that brush will determine the overall quality and beauty of your tresses.

If you don't already know how to put your hair up, start to learn a few styles. Wearing your hair up protects the delicate, fragile ends.

Your ends can also be protected by wearing a silk or satin nightcap, or using a silk pillowcase.

Use hair friendly products and hair toys. There are many great articles up in the "Articles" section (on the grey menu bar).

Many folks here recommend using oil (of some variety) on their ends.

Above all, be patient and be gentle! Everyone's hair grows at different rates, and some folks have more fallen out hair than others. You inherit your hair from your parents and it will only grow as fast as nature intended.

Many here also take supplements to help with their hair journey. Eating healthy, drinking plenty of water and exercising moderately are all pluses in attaining your long hair goal. Good luck!

Anje
July 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
If different hairs grow at different rates on your head (and that happens to most of us), you'll probably have to trim occasionally to keep the fast hairs from getting too far ahead and looking thin. Every 4-6 months, perhaps?

What I would suggest is that you get a pair of hair shears, if you don't already have some. You can use them for S&D, but you can also trim your own hair with them when you think needs it. That way, you (and not some hairdresser who may or may not listen) control how much hair you take off. You can trim as much or as little as you're comfortable with.

I use Feye's Self Trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) Method to trim my hair, and have pretty much since I joined LHC. It works well, and it's nice to have that level of control.

ZeppHead
July 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Yes, I am on a prenatal vitamin, as I am 20 weeks along. I only use a wide tooth comb and only use it to detangle when I get out of the shower. Since my hair is shorter than I would like I tend to keep it up a lot but I just throw it in a quick bun or twist it up in a claw clip. The claw clip seems like a nicer option for my hair, it doesn't pull on my scalp or leave any indents in my hair when I take it out. I l also carry hair scissors in my purse so I can get split ends where ever I am, I used to be OCD with those things!! I would use them driving if I had to!

Alaia
July 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
If you have fine hair that breaks easily you may wish to avoid detangling while your hair is wet. Wet hair is at its most fragile state. Or if you do, detangle in the shower with loads of conditioner.