PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to My Hair

GlassWidow
July 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Dear Hair,

I have been good to you, and babied you for quite some time now. I don't understand why in the last several weeks you felt the necessity to vacate the premises in huge clumps, but I do appreciate your recent apparent stabilization (as does my husband, since he is tired of finding hairs everywhere). I like to believe that I am a good steward of your health, so any information you could provide to help prevent future losses would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to comend you on your recent expansion. Several of my coworkers have commented this week on your rapid increase in length. Your effort is valiant, and shall be rewarded with a lovely SMT. Please do let me know if there is anything else I can do to support this endeavor.

Sincerely and gratefully yours,
Your Head

homeeduk8tor
July 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM
This is great!

QueenJoey
July 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Love it! I'm gonna write my precious hair a letter as well...

oktobergoud
July 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Dear Hair,

Grow, just grow. Please?

With love, your very impatient caretaker

(sigh pixies, frustrating!)

Slinks
July 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM
lol .. these put a smile on my dial :-)

oktobergoud
July 13th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe it should write you back?

'Dear GlassWidow's head,

I'm looking very much forward to my much deserved SMT. You do know that I worked my butt off, do you? It's not easy to grow as fast as possible, but I've been going to the gym lately, so I guess that has paid off. I'm glad people are noticing that!

Also, I would like some Advocado (or something ;)) in my SMT. If you could do that, that would be awesome. I might consider working a bit harder.. not sure though because I was planning a vacation, but I can always postpone that. For you, I will do everything!

Hairy hugs, your hairy hair

P.S. could you ask your husband for a scalp massage, I'm in neeeeeeeeed of better blood circulation, thank you!'

;)

skyblue
July 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
lol! I love the back and forth letters!

MidnightStar
July 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
This is awesome!

Dear Midnight Star's Hair,
I'm stoked you took so well to the henndigo'ing - it's nice to see you so shiny and healthy-looking! However, why so greasy?? Maybe you could finally adjust to the new sulfate-free routine without having a flare-up every couple of weeks??? I mean, every time I clarify with sulfates you freak out and frizz...you need to find a happy medium! I promise LOTS of NightBlooming's panacea in exchange. Do we have a deal?

krissykins
July 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I wrote a letter like this in my blog. Let me go find it!

ETA: This was posted on February 17, 2011 in my blog. :)

Dear hair,

You are beautiful.

And I mean that. While others may make snide comments about how thin your ends look, I see the lovely fairytales waiting to be unleashed. When they say, "Why don't you just cut your hair short? All you ever do is wear a bun," I free you from the confines of your Ficcare and ask, "Why would I cut such magnificent hair?" And when they ask me why I'm always so confident, I tell them it's because of you. My fabulous hair.

I always knew you were meant for something more than the cycle of chopping and flat ironing. I'm so glad we've found LHC, where you can not only grow longer and stronger, but thrive with other beautiful manes. It's a blessing to be surrounded by so many other inspiring heads of hair, who show us what you can become.

It saddens me that now that I'm starting to love your gorgeous curls, you've chosen to go over to the wavy side. It feels as though you're growing up. Instead of being the wild child I've come to know and love, you're growing into a lovely young lady. It's good to know that you go through these transformations with me instead of falling behind and or racing forward. I know you'll always be by my side (or on my head, I guess :D).

I promise to do whatever it takes to keep you long and strong. You're amazing and I love you!

Love always,
krissykins

MidnightStar
July 13th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I wrote a letter like this in my blog. Let me go find it!

ETA: This was posted on February 17, 2011 in my blog. :)

Dear hair,

You are beautiful.

And I mean that. While others may make snide comments about how thin your ends look, I see the lovely fairytales waiting to be unleashed. When they say, "Why don't you just cut your hair short? All you ever do is wear a bun," I free you from the confines of your Ficcare and ask, "Why would I cut such magnificent hair?" And when they ask me why I'm always so confident, I tell them it's because of you. My fabulous hair.

I always knew you were meant for something more than the cycle of chopping and flat ironing. I'm so glad we've found LHC, where you can not only grow longer and stronger, but thrive with other beautiful manes. It's a blessing to be surrounded by so many other inspiring heads of hair, who show us what you can become.

It saddens me that now that I'm starting to love your gorgeous curls, you've chosen to go over to the wavy side. It feels as though you're growing up. Instead of being the wild child I've come to know and love, you're growing into a lovely young lady. It's good to know that you go through these transformations with me instead of falling behind and or racing forward. I know you'll always be by my side (or on my head, I guess :D).

I promise to do whatever it takes to keep you long and strong. You're amazing and I love you!

Love always,
krissykins

Aw, Krissy, that's so sweet! Seriously...we're all (myself included!) writing irritation letters, and you wrote an actual love letter!
Okay, you've inspired me. I'll try:
Dear Hair,
Forget what I said earlier. You are beautiful, and I will do everything I can to keep you that way. I've bought you natural haircare and lovely hairtoy ornaments to adorn and protect you, and you've repaid me by making all my split ends disappear (seriously, WHERE did they go? Not like I miss them, but I don't think they heal themselves!). So I promise to keep you in panacea, sulfate-free shampoo, and beautiful hairtoys; I also promise to keep the evil elastics far away from you while I exercise, no matter how difficult it can be otherwise (I mean, why else did I buy that expensive Ficcare except to hold you rock steady while I run? *Sigh*).
Love Always,
MidnightStar

krissykins
July 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Aw, Krissy, that's so sweet! Seriously...we're all (myself included!) writing irritation letters, and you wrote an actual love letter!
Okay, you've inspired me. I'll try:
Dear Hair,
Forget what I said earlier. You are beautiful, and I will do everything I can to keep you that way. I've bought you natural haircare and lovely hairtoy ornaments to adorn and protect you, and you've repaid me by making all my split ends disappear (seriously, WHERE did they go? Not like I miss them, but I don't think they heal themselves!). So I promise to keep you in panacea, sulfate-free shampoo, and beautiful hairtoys; I also promise to keep the evil elastics far away from you while I exercise, no matter how difficult it can be otherwise (I mean, why else did I buy that expensive Ficcare except to hold you rock steady while I run? *Sigh*).
Love Always,
MidnightStar

Lol, I guess that's true. I did write a love letter :o

I think sometimes we're too hard on our appearances. I don't have the most perfect head of hair, but it is mine and nobody else's and it is beautiful to me. We need to learn to love our hair for what it is before we can change it healthily.

tinywife
July 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
My dear hair,
You are very little, but I have faith in you. I know you will grow up to be beautiful and tall. Can't wait to see you then,
Tinywife

layla<33
July 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
to my crowning glory, oh poor hair.. youve been so faithful to me.. through the past 5 or 6 years of daily blow drying and flat ironing and washing everyday with that dreaded clarifying poo crammed full of sulfates and to top it all off conditioner was never allowed to touch your precious locks.. yet you stood strong, thin but no more than a few rare splits.. and then the recent blonde highlights.. all because i was so uneducated.. thankfully we have found LHC and all of its followers that were so thankful too, i have buried the blowfryer and iron.. and everyday you get a healthy drink of yummy conditioners! now your almost restored to the exact beauty of elementry days.. thank you for sticking with me through it all! i truly do love you no matter what anyone says and im so glad your all thick and lovely again! i promise to treat you with tender care and together we'll make it to hip length and no matter how long it takes we'll get all that icky damaged ot of your tresses! now as one we will continue through our hair journey with open ears to learn all we can from the beautiful long hairs here at LHC and one day you'll be more beautiful than you've been all your life <33 ...with love, your loving caretaker...

GlassWidow
July 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I love all these letters, and I especially love the response, courtesy of oktobergoud. It makes me smile!

I have a friend who writes similar letters to her reproductive system. Hers are much more hilarious than mine. ;)

MagicAndMayhem
July 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Dear hair,

Don't worry babe, the email said the henna shipped out today.

Love, MnM

krissykins
July 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Dear hair,

Love, MnM

:rollin: I love this one! Short, sweet, and to the point!

luthein
July 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I am really enjoying this thread.
I'm sure this is what my hair wants to say:

Dear Luthein,
Please stop comparing me to others. Let me be myself.

--L's hair

GlassWidow
July 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Good advice, Luthein's hair....I should listen to that, too. :)

GlassWidow
July 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Dear hair,

Love, MnM
Dear MnM,

Need my fix. NEED MY FIX!

Hugs,
Your hair

nazzooyzo
July 14th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Dear hair,
Please grow to shoulder asap!
Love Nazzooyzo xoxo

PolarCathy
July 14th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Oh My God, my letter would look very very different.

It would be something like this (actually I have been e-mailing with a friend about this, so I wrote it, just not addressed to my hair...)

My Dear Hair,

I hate you so much and you know that. I hate you because you've been sunbleached every single f. summer ever since I can remember and you've never grown longer than APL+ because I had to cut you off because you got brown.
Why can't you just stay nice and black like any normal black hair would.

Then I went water-only and was doing that for over a year, you behaved nice and you weren't frizzy but you didn't really grow that much. The only thing I can say I love in you is that you don't shed at all. (And maybe that you are very thick.) But you'll have to do other things for me to love you, I mean you've been treating me bad. Despite the fact that I never bleached/colored/permed you or treated you badly other than driving my car with the windows down you never appreciated how well I've been treating you, if you don't believe me ask ...just about every random person's hair you meet. I don't even use sulfate or cones on you, I let you breathe... I never washed you daily, I have understood that the sebum is being produced for a reason and that reason is not to bug me.

Now you've finally grown to .. what to call it, no man's land length, somewhere between APL and BSL again (after the last trim because you got sunbleached sooo badly last summer and yet I didn't torture you with chemical dyes). I thought I could love you more once you get this loooong (and don't tell me that if it was true love it would be unconditional because that's in the fairytales only, we are talking business here...) but no, I hate you even more because there is nothing I can do with you. Your once much tighter curls relaxed, you're too short to wear down and feel good about that, at the same time you're too long because you are long enough so that I need to take more care. I need to pay attention to how I sleep, that I don't roll over you so that you don't get offended and dry and split. You almost require oilings and all that stuff and all you do, well, you're just stuck at this length. Do you have any idea how annoying that is? Yes I know it doesn't matter for you, you are just hair, but it does matter for me, your head, how you look like.

Here is the deal. I give you 6 more weeks, that is, till the end of August. If you want to save your a*ss you can choose to grow another 5 cm (2") by then, if you don't, you know because I've always been doing that - I will cut you back to collarbone and will never ever let you grow again. It's up to you. You get all kinds of help, I protect you, I wear you up, you can go water-only again, I know you loved that, to be honest I loved that too..., and you even get rooibos rinses. I even have developed methods for removing castor oil without chemicals, so you can get castor oil too. Teaser, it's infused with henna. You should really understand for once how unbalanced of a relationship this has been so far. Me, everything, you, nothing. I would appreciate if you finally cooperated. And don't tell me that something is wrong with me because I hate you, I do love others' hair so I can and am willing to love you as well.

Please, cooperate for once, would you?

Your Head.

PS: If you have any comments talk to one of the more receptive LHC members here, maybe they can translate it to me because I am tired of you. I promise I will try to calm down and listen...

MissAlida
July 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM

It would be something like this (actually I have been e-mailing with a friend about this, so I wrote it, just not addressed to my hair...)

My Dear Hair,

I hate you so much and you know that. I hate you because you've been sunbleached every single f. summer ever since I can remember and you've never grown longer than APL+ because I had to cut you off because you got brown.

Then I went water-only and was doing that for over a year, you behaved nice and you weren't frizzy but you didn't really grow that much. The only thing I can say I love in you is that you don't shed at all. (And maybe that you are very thick.) But you'll have to do other things for me to love you, I mean you've been treating me bad. Despite the fact that I never bleached/colored/permed you or treated you badly other than driving my car with the windows down you never appreciated how well I've been treating you, if you don't believe me ask ...just about every random person's hair you meet. I don't even use sulfate or cones on you, I let you breathe... I never washed you daily, I have understood that the sebum is being produced for a reason and that reason is not to bug me.

Now you've finally grown to .. what to call it, no man's land length, somewhere between APL and BSL again (after the last trim because you got sunbleached sooo badly last summer and yet I didn't torture you with chemical dyes). I thought I could love you more once you get this loooong (and don't tell me that if it was true love it would be unconditional because that's in the fairytales only, we are talking business here...) but no, I hate you even more because there is nothing I can do with you. Your once much tighter curls relaxed, you're too short to wear down and feel good about that, at the same time you're too long because you are long enough so that I need to take more care. I need to pay attention to how I sleep, that I don't roll over you so that you don't get offended and dry and split. You almost require oilings and all that stuff and all you do, well, you're just stuck at this length. Do you have any idea how annoying that is? Yes I know it doesn't matter for you, you are just hair, but it does matter for me, your head, how you look like.

Here is the deal. I give you 6 more weeks, that is, till the end of August. If you want to save your a*ss you can choose to grow another 5 cm (2") by then, if you don't, you know because I've always been doing that - I will cut you back to collarbone and will never ever let you grow again. It's up to you. You get all kinds of help, I protect you, I wear you up, you can go water-only again, I know you loved that, to be honest I loved that too..., and you even get rooibos rinses. I even have developed methods for removing castor oil without chemicals, so you can get castor oil too. Teaser, it's infused with henna. You should really understand for once how unbalanced of a relationship this has been so far. Me, everything, you, nothing. I would appreciate if you finally cooperated. And don't tell me that something is wrong with me because I hate you, I do love others' hair so I can and am willing to love you as well.

Please, cooperate for once, would you?

Your Head.

PS: If you have any comments talk to one of the more receptive LHC members here, maybe they can translate it to me because I am tired of you. I promise I will try to calm down and listen...
:rolleyes:You have one passionate relationship with your hair. Maybe yours and mine are related...:oMine wouldn't grow past APL either. I've been here for more than 2 years. Now I'm determined to grow...either grow, or go back to pixie.(Please, please, please grow:pray:I want long hair, not a pixie...pretty please?)

layla<33
July 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM

My Dear Hair,

Then I went water-only and was doing that for over a year, you behaved nice and you weren't frizzy but you didn't really grow that much.

oh wow this sounds like a nightmare :( theres no way i could deal with that! but maybe to prevent the sun bleaching you could get some sunblock for yor hair? ive heard LHCers talk about that.. also maybe protective updos everytime your out all day? i dont have curly hair but i am a wurly and no poo washing or no CO washing and its straight. also personally i wash my scalp everyday with a gentle slightly diltuted shampoo cause i seem to get more growth that way (normally 1" month) i hate to here that all the effort your making isnt making much of a difference but maybe it needs more time (unless your taking multivit or biotin or using monistat or any of the other methods some LHCers find success with i doubt you'll see 2" in six weeks. but it could be possible i supose if you find the routine yor scalp and hair lik) :)

Nae
July 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Dear hair,

You are my bud! I like hanging out with you, pampering you, being patient with you. We are in a long, long term relationship and that makes me smile.

Sure you still seem short, but you have made it from Pixie to APL in a little over two years, that is fantastic!! In two more years we should be staring down the barrel at waist, how fun will that be?

love you,

Nae

PianoPlaye
July 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
My letter is like too many of my letters - a bit late, but well intentioned.

Dear Hair,
I know I haven't been paying you the attention you need and want & deserve, but I've been getting therapy at TLHC & I think you appreciate the outcomes. After all, we never tried oiling & that came out great - I promise, there'll be more of that in the future. I'm sorry I'm so slow to get the idea, and almost as slow to implement it, but I want this to be a happy, healthy long term relationship, so if you can be patient with me, I'm learning to be much more patient & gentle with you.
I'm really sorry about the brushing when wet. I didn't realise it hurt you. Lots of massaging & oiling to come, I promise, and a nice lady called Thea has a method for me to figure out what you want better, so that's coming up soon too. How does protein sound?
I've done a lot wrong, but I'm really trying to do better now. Could you show me what works more clearly, by growing longer or thicker or both?
Love & gentle combing,
your Head

Ligeia_13
July 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Dear hair,

I know I've treated you pretty badly in the past. But remember how we were before all that? :) you were long and shiny, and I was completely oblivious...So this time around, I promise, I will do everything I can to get you to grow happy and healthy and shiny and strong ^_^

Much love.

duckhugger
July 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Dear Hair,
We have had some great times you and I! I have lovingly taken care of you for many years now and you have always treated me with respect in return. I appreciate that very much. I remember about 3 years ago when I discovered that if I did not brush you, you would be all curly and lovely :D That was one of the happiest days of my life with you. Despite the amount of people who gave me disgusted looks when I told them I don't own a hair brush because I don't brush my hair.
Just before I discovered LHC, I switched to organic shampoo and conditioner all for you. :3 Now that LHC has become a part of our lives, I can continue to improve your living conditions. I have already learned some valuable information and I am hungry for more! I know you are too ;)
Now dear hair, I am going to ask you something that will be difficult. I know together you and I can pull it off though. We are going to go longer than we ever have before! All the way to my waist! I know you are short now, but I promise to continue to cherish you and take care of you for the rest of my life.

Love always,
your adoring head

lorelai2012
July 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Dear Hair,

I can't believe I was blaming you all this time for being dull and all I needed to do was clarify you and rinse with cold water. You are brilliant in all your shiny glory. Thanks also for the recent growth. But seriously, what's with all the white dots? Could you please tell me what it is you don't like me doing?

Cheers,

Arya
July 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Dear Damaged Lock of Hair

I see you there. Don't think I don't. Hiding out on the left side of my neck there. You think you're safe, which you are. For now.
But soon your time is coming. The roots are already healthy and shiny, and you're growing out. Some of you may escape the scissors by reaching the end of their life cycle, true. But most of you are going to feel the cold, sharp edges of the snippers. I am patient, and in six months, you're mine.

If only you'd behaved like your neighbours, you could have been spared this fate, but instead you've become wiry and broken. So luxuriate in your bushy coarse rebellion, but know the end is nigh.

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM
My letter would be a plea please obey me look good for once and please grow. Please dont look bad at the moment I need you to look good.

KrissyKitty
July 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Dear Hair,
You've been through a lot in our life. You've been the one punished whenever something upsetting has happened in our life. Starting at twelve when my mother started dyeing you blonde because she couldn't deal that her little girl was growing up and no longer was platinum blonde. There were those times in college that I flat ironed you daily because I was insecure about your whurls and didn't want to stand out. I apologize for that period when my heart was broken and I forgot that conditioner existed and continued to blowfry you. I especially apologize for this past February when everything seemed to be changing too quickly and I tried to annihilate you completely by cutting all of you off. All the while I expected you to still look silky and beautiful.

Thank you for continuing to persevere throughout. I'm especially glad for the efforts you've been making lately. I promise to treat you well from now on. You seem to like the new SLS-free organic shampoo I've been using, and I promise you'll continue to get more sweet loving as you continue getting longer. Do you think we could be at shoulder in another 6 months? Because after all I've done to you, I'm still going to ask you for more.

-xo,
Kitty.

PolarCathy
July 15th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Alright I have been a little hard on my hair again. Here is what "it" wrote back.

Dear PolarCathy!

In my defense, I have thickened up from 3"-ish to a solid 4" over the last year (I want to remind you that your perception was misleading, it wasn't just the last few months, it was a loooong and constant effort from my part to grow that much.). That's a ton of growth, okay, maybe in the wrong direction but isn't that what you wanted anyways, since half of me fell out in 2007? I thought your goal was to grow that back ;)

Since you finally figured out that you need to add amla to your whatever-henna-y mix to preserve my curls I have become curlier again which you perceive as "my d.mn hair, instead of getting longer, has somehow become shorter". I am very close to BSL if you pull me. But you know what, I will try my best and get to BSL when dry and wavy by the end of August, I assume that's what you meant by the 2". [editor aka PolarCathy: Yes that's what I meant.] You know I can do it, remember how much I grew in February... (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6814&pictureid=99666)

Other than that yes please let me be water-only again and rinse me with a tea. Any tea, really, I love all of them.

I also hope that you will finally stop comparing me to others' hair and appreciate me just the way I am. And please do not chop! ;)

Your Hair.

Eolan
July 15th, 2011, 04:52 AM
This is more of a memo than a letter.

To all hairs of Eolans head:
Fuzzing up is no longer allowed. All fly aways and/or baby hairs will from now on be glued down to the rest of the group via products.

IanB
July 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hope you'll let us know when you get a reply :)

MasCat
July 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hi hair!

Well, we've known each other for a long time. When I was young you've been chopped pretty short, but I always knew what I wanted you to be... loooong...

I always liked your color and structure and only sometimes when I saw someone with classic or longer I sighed and thought "oh, if only you could grow more"

Well, you know? recently, thanks to a bellydancing friend I found this forum... the LHC... there still might be a chance for us...

So what do you say? Would you journey with me to the terminal length?

Yours truly
MasCat
PS. you know I love you, right?

HairFaerie
July 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Dear Hair,

First of all, I would like to apologize for all of the abuse I have ever put you though. It must have hurt you very badly. I didn't mean to hurt you, I just wanted blonde hair. But, now I realize that you are beautiful for exactly who you are. Brown.

Secondly, I am very sorry again for not accepting you for who you are - wavy. I tried to fight you, I swore at you and looked at you in the mirror loathingly when you started making "funny flippy things" at around shoulder length. I got mad at you and cut you off. I promise not to do that again. I will remember the "funny flippy things" are the early development of nice, sexy waves.

I will nurture and care for you and help to bring you to your fullest potential. I will not try to change you, I will accept you for who you are.

I hope you can forgive me for all of the things I have put you through.

I try to make it up to you by making special scented hair mist and pampering you with treatments. You in turn, have rewarded me by growing at a very alarming rate each month that sometimes surprises me when I see the pictures. I really appreciate that.

I promise to stop the abuse and the name calling and the trying to change who you really are.

You have accepted me the whole time I was dealing out the abuse and trying to change you. You are very caring an compassionate. I want to learn from you and become that too.

All my love,

HairFaerie

PamelaViktoria
July 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I think if you experiment long enough on hair and body, you'll eventually find out what makes you your loveliest ever:)