PDA

View Full Version : Curlies, do you layer your hair or all one length?

Fluffy01
July 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I want to grow my hair out again, and this time I'm going to do it right lol. I have 3a curly hair, and I want to be able to wear it up in those cute buns or braids, etc. when it gets super long. But it won't look right curly if I don't have some layers in it right? I'm perplexed about what to do. I want it to look nice when curly, but the thought of me in a braid or bun makes me swoon too. :) Is there a compromise?

longcurlygirl<3
July 13th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Mines is all one length, for it will be easier to do buns, but layers will have 'cowlicks' i guess?

PinkyCat
July 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I like my hair much better one length. I had layers cut in my waist length hair last August and DESPISED it! :disgust:

Now almost a year later, very close to one length again, but now BSL - never, never again.

Might look good on shorter curls - Not at these lengths.

Fluffy01
July 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah I hear you Pinkycat....I'm definitely planning for the future not the now. I have a pixie I'm growing out, so layers are pretty much a necessity. I'm hoping to get pregnant in the next few months and crossing my fingers for some serious fast growth. So I thought I should start considering what I wanted and when I wanted it. I think it would have to be BSL for me personally before I started thinking about all one length, but I'm interested in seeing what everyone else has done. May change my mind. :)

UltraBella
July 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I am not a curly, I am a wavy. But, I wanted to respond anyway :)
I have layers and LOVE them. They never interfered with my buns, but they did make my braid a bit messier near the end. I don't braid often, so no big deal for me. I have loved my layers at TBL, waist, and BSL. The key to good layers is having them very well blended and leaving the hair directly above the ears even with your hemline. If that hair is significantly shorter, updos become problematic.

PinkyCat
July 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I am not a curly, I am a wavy. But, I wanted to respond anyway :)
I have layers and LOVE them. They never interfered with my buns, but they did make my braid a bit messier near the end. I don't braid often, so no big deal for me. I have loved my layers at TBL, waist, and BSL. The key to good layers is having them very well blended and leaving the hair directly above the ears even with your hemline. If that hair is significantly shorter, updos become problematic.

Ohhhhhhhh what a great point! I wonder if that would have made a difference in my "jellyfish legs" layers!

UltraBella
July 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ohhhhhhhh what a great point! I wonder if that would have made a difference in my "jellyfish legs" layers!

I can't stand when the hair in front, directly over the ears, is treated like a layer and not part of the hemline. It makes for hair that looks significantly shorter from the front and updos often fail. Layers done correctly will not give you that issue !

Roseate
July 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Layers all the way for this wurly! I keep mine subtle, just enough to shape the hemline so it doesn't triangle out. I just got mine trimmed up, the shortest layer is about APL, and hem is BSL. See here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2443&pictureid=107696)

I just make my braid tassel a little longer and it's not a problem for me. I find the tapered ends are actually easier for me to put up than a blunt hemline.

GermanCurl
July 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Definetly layers! Hair is just to heavy without them. My layers start below chin lenght.

yukinohana
July 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I prefer layers, because they make my hair look better when it's down, and I haven't noticed a difference when making braids and buns! :)

Lollipop
July 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Your hair doesn't need to be heavily layered. You can get some long layers that are only a few inches shorter than the longest parts so that braids and buns are an option while giving a bit more balance to your curls. Besides, hair all one length can be difficult for updos that involve tucking in the ends, right?

curlymarcia
July 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I am thin haired and layers make my hair looks even thinier. Also the short layers are much more curlier than the long layers.

chahuahuas
July 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Layers!!!!!!!!!

But you really should get them done by a CG stylist since your hair type is in the 3s. They dry cut the curls, if you didn't already know about it. CG trained stylists actually know how your hair will react to a cut, which is REALLY important. (for example, CG stylists know what the hair "canopy" is.) I have had SO MANY bad layers from stylists who don't know what to do with curly hair!!! If you can't find a CG stylist in your area, you should at LEAST find a stylist who has naturally curly hair. I've gotten a couple decent cuts from stylists with naturally curly hair (not as good as CG trained ones, but hey :) ).

I'm basically a 3a myself (I just keep the "3a/3b" descriptor because of wishful thinking...), and this is how my hair reacts to my CG-cut layers:
(both pictures are from the same day, just different times of day, so different lighting)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107374
Nicely formed curls in back!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107465
But I still have lots of volume in the front, thanks to a couple bangs/face-framing pieces, and a couple nice layers on the canopy :D

I LOVE ringlets, you don't want your hair to be as curly as mine, don't worry. My hair doesn't ALWAYS do that. I still have to do alot of scrunching and a bit of clipping to get my hair to curl up properly like that. I was lazier today (and I was trying a new method out), and my hair turned into looser curls with lots of s-waves. It actually looks nice and beachy and fun! So you still have plenty of options with layers, and you don't need to worry that it'll be suuuper ringlet-y every single day.

ETA:

I am thin haired and layers make my hair looks even thinier. Also the short layers are much more curlier than the long layers.

Who cut your layers? I've had lots of cuts where my hair curled unevenly thanks to layers, but those cuts were by stylists without curly hair or non-CG trained stylists.

ETA #2:

I don't think you need to compromise. My buns go up just fine with layers. Look at all the ladies with fairy tale ends, those have different lengths like layers, but they go up just fine into buns as well! You just need to be sure the layers aren't too short, I suppose.

greygardens
July 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
My boyfriend cuts my hair and when it was long he'd always just naturally put in layers. He's a fabulous hairdresser and they looked great, but I'd really like to try my hair all one length this time around. It's thinned out a lot (medication) and if it doesn't recover it may be the only way to get decent plaits/braids and updos.

Still, it's years away before that will really be an option. I wouldn't want all one length at too short a length because that would be triangle head time. And if it doesn't work, then back to layers.

chahuahuas
July 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't want all one length at too short a length because that would be triangle head time.

I've actually found that all one length at short lengths is what creates triangle head for me. When I have layers, it allows the top to get more volume, and there's volume all the way around. In fact, it gets kinda "circular," like a poodle, lol. I'm okay with that though, because I really like volume at the top, way better than flat-top triangle head with awkwardly wide bottom layers.

gthlvrmx
July 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I have them but it was a dumb idea to get layers for the last few years, they make no difference in my hair, just slightly curlier on the shorter ends. Hoping to maybe one day MAYBE cut it all an even length, but i guess i don't care enough yet. Making braids sucks though, so thin at the end and hair sticking out :p

dulce
July 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
My hair is not that thick,1 had curly layers till apl and loved it,now that it is approximately waist,give or take an inch,the lower layers look straggly and thin out my hem.The layers stick out in braids and tight buns and for that reason am growing to all one length.People with nice thick hair can wear the layers with really long hair but 1 couldn't.

dulce
July 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
CHAHUAHUAS,your hair is to die for!1t's really beautiful!!

greygardens
July 13th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I've actually found that all one length at short lengths is what creates triangle head for me. When I have layers, it allows the top to get more volume, and there's volume all the way around. In fact, it gets kinda "circular," like a poodle, lol. I'm okay with that though, because I really like volume at the top, way better than flat-top triangle head with awkwardly wide bottom layers.

Yeah that's what I was saying. I DON'T want to have my hair at one length when it's short. So growing it out I don't cut off the longer layers to even up the length like lots of straight haired people do. It's curly mullet for me.

Fluffy01
July 14th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all the responses ladies! You all have such gorgeous hair....I will get there some day. :)

CHAHUAHUAS, you have the exact hair that I'm going for lol. Mine does ringlets now, so I hope they will stay when my hair gets longer. I do have a CG stylist that I go to, and she's wonderful. She trained under Massey of DevaCurl before they even came out with the brand! I can't wait now that I have a good stylist to be able to have nice curls and long hair....they were never mutually exclusive for me in the past. No one knew how to handle it, so I ended up with very unruly messy curls. I never even had ringlets until this new stylist came along! Shocking what a good haircut can do right?!

This is a picture of my hair from around Easter. It has grown out a bit more since then. I obviously have to have layers now, but I wonder at what length should I start making sure they're growing out "longer"?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/DylanAngel2001/me1.jpg

chahuahuas
July 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Yeah that's what I was saying. I DON'T want to have my hair at one length when it's short. So growing it out I don't cut off the longer layers to even up the length like lots of straight haired people do. It's curly mullet for me.

Aaaah! I just re-read over your original sentence too many times, and it started getting all convoluted in my head :dizzy:. I'm pretty sure I I've got it now though, haha.

I don't understand which hairstyle gets you curly mullet though... growing out the long layers of a very short hairstyle does? :confused:

CHAHUAHUAS,your hair is to die for!1t's really beautiful!!

Thanks, dulce!! :gabigrin:

CHAHUAHUAS, you have the exact hair that I'm going for lol. Mine does ringlets now, so I hope they will stay when my hair gets longer.

...I obviously have to have layers now, but I wonder at what length should I start making sure they're growing out "longer"?

Thanks! and I'm not really sure when you need to start making sure you're growing your curls out longer. From personal experience, I would say don't rush it. I think growing from pixie to chin can be an incredibly awkward time (I didn't do salon visits, and it turned out very badly. I'm missing pictures of like 6 months of my life, my hair was that bad...) The specific layers put in for "pixie" length won't work the same way at all for when your hair grows out 2 inches, especially with curly hair (it has a mind of it's own!!)

I would say just be sure to let your stylist know that you're trying to grow it out, and don't be afraid to REALLY drive home the point when it comes to how you want your hair cut. Lots of ladies around here have had stylists take liberties with their hair, but I know it's much harder for them to take liberties if you give them very specific directives about how you want your hair cut. I think if you have a good stylist who listens to you and can actually implement what you are going for (which it sounds like you do), you will be able to preserve as much length each time as possible, while still maintaining a decent style. In fact, tell her exactly that, lol, since it's nice and specific :p.

Fluffy01
July 14th, 2011, 06:18 AM
And I decided it was time to take an updated picture, so here it is fresh off the press:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/DylanAngel2001/2011-07-14.jpg

Fluffy01
July 14th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I think growing from pixie to chin can be an incredibly awkward time (I didn't do salon visits, and it turned out verybadly.

See I'm going to see her every 9 weeks or so during this growing out phase due to that same thing. But honestly I've noticed this with my hair when it was longer too. I was so focused on growing it out I didn't maintain it, which made it unruly/ugly, which made me get the itch to cut it. It never fails. So now I hopefully have seen the error of my ways and although it will take longer I think I will be more apt to keep it long.

I would say just be sure to let your stylist know that you're trying to grow it out, and don't be afraid to REALLY drive home the point when it comes to how you want your hair cut. Lots of ladies around here have had stylists take liberties with their hair, but I know it's much harder for them to take liberties if you give them very specific directives about how you want your hair cut. I think if you have a good stylist who listens to you and can actually implement what you are going for (which it sounds like you do), you will be able to preserve as much length each time as possible, while still maintaining a decent style. In fact, tell her exactly that, lol, since it's nice and specific :p.

Well right now she knows I'm going for super long, and I did take pictures in to her the first time we met of my goal hair (lots of pics similar to yours!) :) Plus, I've referred a lot of curlies to her including one with hair similar to how I want mine, so I told her when she saw the girl to keep her hair in mind for my hair haha. I have been super thrilled with her so far because the way she cuts my curls doesn't take off a lot of length but shapes it nicely. I just hope the love affair continues when I begin to get some length on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely keep them in mind.

chahuahuas
July 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
See I'm going to see her every 9 weeks or so during this growing out phase due to that same thing. But honestly I've noticed this with my hair when it was longer too. I was so focused on growing it out I didn't maintain it, which made it unruly/ugly, which made me get the itch to cut it. It never fails. So now I hopefully have seen the error of my ways and although it will take longer I think I will be more apt to keep it long.

Well right now she knows I'm going for super long, and I did take pictures in to her the first time we met of my goal hair (lots of pics similar to yours!) :) Plus, I've referred a lot of curlies to her including one with hair similar to how I want mine, so I told her when she saw the girl to keep her hair in mind for my hair haha. I have been super thrilled with her so far because the way she cuts my curls doesn't take off a lot of length but shapes it nicely. I just hope the love affair continues when I begin to get some length on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely keep them in mind.

It's really good to hear that your stylist is so attentive to your needs!! When I go to look to get my hair trimmed, I plan on possibly calling ahead or stopping by to discuss my hair with the stylists. There's about 3 CG stylists in my area, and I want to pick the best, hehe. I also want the one that will only cut off the bare minimum they need to for my curl pattern.

And it's really interesting to see your progress picture. I'm so jealous, I wish I had gotten my hair "shaped" every couple months when I chopped off MY hair! (because that's what the CG stylists do, really... they "shape" hair curl by curl. :) )

kitschy
July 14th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I currently have layers, but I'm thinking of growing them out.

One thing is, the crown (top layer) is more exposed to the elements and is thus more damaged. When I get a trim to the lower layers, I always trim the top layers too, because they feel so dried out. At this rate, I'll never get my layers all one length.....at some point I'll have to do a big chop. :(

Fluffy01
July 14th, 2011, 06:40 AM
And it's really interesting to see your progress picture. I'm so jealous, I wish I had gotten my hair "shaped" every couple months when I chopped off MY hair! (because that's what the CG stylists do, really... they "shape" hair curl by curl. :) )

That's exactly what my stylist does! She takes each curl and cuts it at an angle on the end. Almost diagonally. It reminds me of that curly-q ribbon people use to put on presents. The end of the ribbon is usually at an angle not straight across. I notice it really helps with the curl pattern...it's amazing. Good luck picking a good one! And make sure to ask them about the angled cutting. ;)

Fluffy01
July 14th, 2011, 06:41 AM

One thing is, the crown (top layer) is more exposed to the elements and is thus more damaged. When I get a trim to the lower layers, I always trim the top layers too, because they feel so dried out. At this rate, I'll never get my layers all one length.....at some point I'll have to do a big chop. :(

I do feel the same way about the top of my hair. The sides and back always do better than the crown...strange isn't it?

And see to me, your hair looks curly enough to where it wouldn't need layers if you didn't want them. I think the curls would still be there, and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting weighed down. Just my 2 cents.

chahuahuas
July 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Noooo! Don't get rid of your layers! Your hair looks SO COOL with the two tone effect! Your darker layer looks awesome poking out from underneath, and they really set off your lighter ringlets.

kitschy
July 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I do feel the same way about the top of my hair. The sides and back always do better than the crown...strange isn't it?

And see to me, your hair looks curly enough to where it wouldn't need layers if you didn't want them. I think the curls would still be there, and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting weighed down. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I'm not worried about the curl - you just simply can't kill my curls. I have layers so I won't have the dreaded 'triangle' head. But once I made it down to mid-back, I quit worrying so much about too much lower weight - my hair is starting to taper naturally.

BTW, I don't have any problems with doing an updo with my layers. The layers are long enough to messy bun (which is about the only style I can pull off anyway since my hair tends to get very 'big' when I try to put it up)

chahuahuas
July 14th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Oh, I'm not worried about the curl - you just simply can't kill my curls. I have layers so I won't have the dreaded 'triangle' head. But once I made it down to mid-back, I quit worrying so much about too much lower weight - my hair is starting to taper naturally.

BTW, I don't have any problems with doing an updo with my layers. The layers are long enough to messy bun (which is about the only style I can pull off anyway since my hair tends to get very 'big' when I try to put it up)

I know what you mean by the messy bun being the only option here... I try braids, but braiding from dry hair can make my hair MAD tangled. Luckily, my curls start to stretch out a bit after I wear them in that messy bun, so the next day they've stretched enough for me to try something new and tighter.

EricaLee83
July 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM
This is an ongoing debate in my head. I currently have my almost bsl 3a/3b hair all one length, but I am constantly thinking "would I like my hair more if I get layers?". I think I want more overall length before I take the plunge, but I am enjoying reading everyone's experiences and opinions!