PDA

View Full Version : Hair parting alopecia/thinning

buttercupmcgee
July 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Question 2 of 2: :)

I have a teeny thin patch right where I've parted my hair for the past 30 years....on left side of my head. Naturally since joining LHC I've been conscious to switch up my part but I'm wondering....is this thin patch going to thicken up now or just stay sparse forever?

I read through the parting sparseness thread but I'm still not clear: Has anyone ever thickende up a thin patch in by moving their part? How long did it take if so?

emma907
July 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours.

Is your patch just thin or a full on bald spot?

I have a bald spot where I used to part my hair that required me to change my part to the other side, this was in Feb, its starting to fill in s l o w l y - but its still very obvious if I part my hair on that side, but its hides it pretty well having changed the part.

I have read (probably somewhere on these boards) that if you part your hair the same place for long enough it can have a thinning effect, somewhere along the lines of traction Alopecia so it might be if you change your part the thin bit might have a chance to thicken up again as there will be less tension/stress there

summergame
July 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM
If you think the hairs ar not coming back it can be a variant of alopecia, the best way to know for sure is to go do a dermatologist i think. I have alopecia androgenetica but thats a hormonal hairloss mostly by men (thinning sides left en right from the head) Like a windowpeak.

buttercupmcgee
July 13th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know whether the hairs will come back since I just started changing my part a few weeks ago.

In fact, that's what I'm wondering....do thin spots brought on by traction/parting alopecia ever grow in?

I don't have a bald spot, just slight thinness at the hairline where I've been parting all these years. This thin spot does not exist on the right side (I part on the left) so I'm fairly certain it's a parting issue.

Thanks!

Madora
July 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
You might want to visit a trichologist (hair doctor) to discuss your alopecia issues.

I've heard of a lady who had alopecia, due to putting her hairstick in roughly the same place day after day, year after year. She had a bald spot from all that activity..but WAS able to get her hair to grow back in...but after several treatments (I don't know how long it took her).

The parting in the same place thing will weaken the hair over time..and in some instances, widen the part so that it is very noticeable.