PDA

View Full Version : How dependant is your mood on your hairs behaviour?

RebeccaG
July 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
If my hair is misbehaving I get grumpy, introspective and generally miserable and horrible to live with! It really effects my self esteem, conversely if my hair is having a happy day then as long as nothing disastrous comes along to sideswipe me then so do I!

This makes me sound horribly shallow but the quest for better hair is afterall why we all found this lovely place of secret hair advice and shared hair angst in the first place so maybe I am not alone....:)

RitaCeleste
July 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Not much anymore. I'm on the inside looking looking out so as long as I'm not seated near a mirror, I can let it all go. If I am trying to solve a hair problem with conditioning or trying out new methods, that can suck up my time. This I dislike and find very annoying. Mostly I demand my hair be fairly low maintenance. Simple wash and wear, treatments on Saturday.

trolleypup
July 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Not at all. No matter how unruly or gross it is I just throw it up in my usual bun and forget it. The only time it won't stay bunned is when it is clean and sleek.

jujube
July 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I got this when my hair was too short to put up, but now if it doesn't look right I just ponytail it and forget about it and go on with my day, after all it is just hair.

Shorty89
July 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
It depends on what I"m doing. If I'm just doing errands/chores I couldn't care less about how my hair looks, but if I'm going out, or sometimes even around friends and my hair won't cooperate then I get grumpy and sullen. It's kind of silly when I think about it, but I do feel better when my hair looks good/cooperates. :lol:

dragonmyst
July 13th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Rarely.
Unless it is hot and muggy. When it is hot and muggy even a bun bothers me and I have to fight the urge to chop it all off. I get pretty snippy and aggitated with everything in the heat though.

WaitingSoLong
July 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Not much anymore. I'm on the inside looking looking out so as long as I'm not seated near a mirror, I can let it all go.

That.

I am more swayed by my face (complexion) than my hair. I HATE ACNE! Still, I really only look in a mirror in the morning when I am getting dressed for the day. Unless someone points something out about my looks (and, they do) I don't think about it.

However I will say that past bad haircuts have left me sour and feeling ugly for months. That is why I am chicken to cut my hair anymore...thus why my hair is so long LOL.

WaitingSoLong
July 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Rarely.
Unless it is hot and muggy. When it is hot and muggy even a bun bothers me and I have to fight the urge to chop it all off. I get pretty snippy and aggitated with everything in the heat though.

Really? That explains some people's moods then LOL. I love to sweat. I love how it makes my nape hairs curl all pretty and the feel of washing it all off at the end of the day. If I know I am going to be sweating, I put my hair in a "stay" type bun, one I know I will not have to redo, and embrace it.

dawnss
July 13th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Every once in a while, but not very often. I tend to find that when I change up my hairstlyes I feel better about my hair, I used to feel ashamed of my hair, now I do not feel ashamed because I have learned to accept it kinks and all. However, I do wonder though do you hide behind your hair because if it is affecting you this much, then you need to figure out why you are so attached to your hair (I do not think you are being shallow? What is it about your hair being dishelved that causes you to shut out everyone on bad hair days? I know this may sound a bit weird but seriously take a look at how you view your hair and if you place so much importance on it then try to figure out why. I know in my cause I was ashamed because my family and people around me did not like my hair, do you have people around you that are trying to make you conform to their standards or are you doing it to yourself?

twilight_faerie
July 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
My mood doesn't really depend on my hair's behavior...but if I do something to my hair that worsens its condition, *that* sours my mood. A few nights ago I was trying out a new hairstyle and I heard a few hairs snap. That put me in kind of a bad mood for the next couple hours.

mellie
July 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
OMG Yes!!

If my hair is icky, I am a very unhappy camper!!

kitcatsmeow
July 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
It depends on what I"m doing. If I'm just doing errands/chores I couldn't care less about how my hair looks, but if I'm going out, or sometimes even around friends and my hair won't cooperate then I get grumpy and sullen. It's kind of silly when I think about it, but I do feel better when my hair looks good/cooperates. :lol:

Exactly this. I think I'm having a hard time now because my hair is at (one of) it's worst :(

free_hug
July 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I think I got it the other way round - my perception of my own hair is largely dependent on my mood :) I used to believe that I, for some reason, have worse hair days when I feel down, and good hair days when I'm happy. In the end I realized I see my hair pretty when I'm happy.

Except for actual bad hair days... which just totally don't bug me when I'm too happy to care. And actual good hair days, which help a lot when I'm really down :D

Ligeia_13
July 13th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I think I got it the other way round - my perception of my own hair is largely dependent on my mood

This is the case for me too. For example, I've been pretty grumpy these past few days so every time I looked at my hair, I just saw a mess and felt worse. Today I was in a very good mood all day and I enjoyed my hair even though it hadn't actually changed:D

QMacrocarpa
July 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I don't get this much. I can feel momentarily frustrated if an updo just isn't working for me, but after a few unsuccessful tries, I just switch to something utterly dependable and all-day stable and go on my merry way. Thank goodness for folded braids!

C.H.
July 13th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Not terribly. I will say it puts a little spring in my step if I've managed to put it in a particularly nice updo (I'm still learning and experimenting). And I do get distracted by it at times, which I suppose at its most extremely might make me a little irritable. But other than that once it's up and away, as it usually is, I more or less forget about it.

Topaz
July 13th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Like several others have said, if I'm having a terribly bad hair day or even a bad hair week, I just bun it and forget about it. I love my hair bunned and buns never disappoint me as no matter how crummy my hair might look loose, it always looks lovely in a bun. Or I can braid it and enjoy the long braid slapping against my back. It's all good. After all, isn't that one of the big advantages of having long hair --- No More Bad Hair Days! Yippee!
:cheese:

C.H.
July 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
After all, isn't that one of the big advantages of having long hair --- No More Bad Hair Days! Yippee!

Totally. A basic braid never fails me--not to mention the array of other updos I'm learning.

kyandii
July 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I haven't really noticed before but I'll be keeping an eye out next time I'm in a mood.

Copasetic
July 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM
It isn't really. I never feel bummed if I am having a bad hair day, but I do feel the tinniest bit perkier if I am having a great hair day.

ellen732
July 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
When I was younger and my hair wouldn't cooperate it would effect my mood but now I have come to terms with it and just braid or bun it and I am happy.

Joliebaby
July 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Well, my hair has always behaved perfectly well and has never given me grief, but what I have done to it certainly has made me depressed and grumpy! Bad color, fried hair, choppy layers.. all my fault! My hair when I don't ruin it, has always been great :) But yes, my hair does affect my mood.

BrightEyes7
July 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Umm.. kinda. I mean if I think my hair looks really nasty I don't want to go anywhere unless it's like Walmart (which usually has a bunch of weird looking people so I look normal even with greased out hair).

The thing that upsets me is when I'm trying to do a certain style and my hair doesn't want to cooperate! I hate that! Say I'm going out and trying to curl my hair and it's just not working, I'll get really frustrated and hot. I need to tell myself to calm down, but when it keeps doing it it's hard!

UltraBella
July 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
My hair never negatively affects my mood. If it's not a great hair day, I just bun it and forget it. However, if I am having a fantastic hair day, I suddenly feel like a super model. (IRL - too short, too chubby, but so what !)

Silverdragn7385
July 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
My hair generally behaves well...but if it DID misbehave, it would have an effect on my mood. Now, my SO...it seems like he has a bad hair day almost every time I get to see him, and it most definitely puts him in a bad mood. Which in turn puts ME in a bad mood if it lasts for too long. -_-

Amber_Maiden
July 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Not at all related. Luckily, because most of the time it doesn't behave :)

Alaia
July 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
My hair doesn't really affect my mood unless I've done something to it.

If it doesn't look great that day, well, there's always the cinnabun ;)

Madora
July 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
My hair has to do what I want it to. If it doesn't (which happens from time to time) I'm not happy..but just move on to something else. The next day everything is usually back to normal.

Nae
July 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Nah, I don't care much. If it is acting wonky then I just bun it and forget it. I put in a pretty hair toy and everything is good!

dragonmyst
July 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Really? That explains some people's moods then LOL. I love to sweat. I love how it makes my nape hairs curl all pretty and the feel of washing it all off at the end of the day. If I know I am going to be sweating, I put my hair in a "stay" type bun, one I know I will not have to redo, and embrace it.

LOL

I often try to stay away from people when I get like that too. Just for their own protection >.<

I do love the curls I get in the heat and the humidity, but not enough to like the heat you know?

chahuahuas
July 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I feel great when my hair is being nice, because then I get lots of compliments on it. It's a serious confidence booster. :) Turns out people really do notice when my curls are more defined and ringlet-y, haha!

I don't feel bad when it's misbehaving though. Then I put it in a ponytail and add a colorful ribbon, or I clip back my bangs and make a trendy and pretty hairstyle, or I get a shiny barrette in it!

Basically, I know how to make my hair acceptable (in my eyes) no matter the behavior, and I can make it more exciting with accessories or a change in style. In fact, sometimes I feel BETTER when it's misbehaving, since the colorful ribbon I'll add will make me really happy!

bridgetsgirl
July 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
It makes me self-conscious if it's been windy or humid, even more so at work where I'll get a talking-to if it isn't neat. I can't stand how poofy it gets when it's humid out.

janiejones
July 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I think my mood impacts my hair's behavior, not the other way around :P When I'm frustrated or tired my hair gets all fluffy and I notice more little frizz-curls around my face. If I'm excited or preoccupied with something, I tend to comb my hair less and it gets either crazy from braid/bun waves or looks a little wild and dreadlock-ish if its down.

Otherwise, if my hair is misbehaving, I stick a hair stick in it, wrap my head up in a big cloth headband and don't really think about it except with some minor annoyance.

Ermine
July 14th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I get a little depressed when my hair looks greasier than usual or something like that. Otherwise I can't complain too much. But now that my layers are growing out (about 3-4 inches from being all one length), they're flipping every which way and it's taking a lot of discipline not to heat style it. Can't wait until my hair's long enough to "wash and go".

Raiscake
July 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Only when I get an updo headache that won't go away even if I change hairstyles. I get really cranky.

mrs_coffee
July 14th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Not at all, which is lucky because shoulder length hair is the most annoying hair EVER.

trillcat
July 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I get cranky when I want to wear it down, and it just wont cooperate with me! The big hanks of hair formerly known as my bangs are at a length (shoulder) that are just trouble asking to happen when I try to style it into anything. Oh, I can rock some serious Farrah wings, and if I was 20 years younger, I would rock them proud, but it ages me now, side swooping just falls in my face, and I end up back in a pony tail or braid of some sort. *sigh* , stupid former bangs! *kicks at the ground and pouts*

Dorothy
July 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Somewhat dependent. For example, during the 3 MONTHS of growing out grey roots from dark brown hair dye, which was recommended in order to not mix recent chemical dye with Henna, I felt gradually more distressed. My hair is one of the few things I like about my appearance, so having it look like I was not "keeping up" day in and day out as I went to work every day was depressing. There is also just no way to hide an inch and a half of grey roots.

Minor ups and downs don't bother me too much, although when I master a difficult updo and I think it looks lovely, I do feel particularly smug and graceful. Like a fairy. A very large fairy. I don't mind that others don't notice - which is fortunate, because 99% of the time no one does - it's just one more of the many things that thrill me that no one else gives a damn about, like plastic flowers and japanese hair ornaments.

I wouldn't bother to look too deeply into your attachment to your hair looking nice, unless it keeps you from living your life, going out and doing things. I think a lot of people don't feel great when they feel like they don't look good, although people around here seem to like their hair pretty well or have a lot of radical acceptance about hair behavior. We must care something about our hair, or we wouldn't be members of a board discussing the finest details of hair care - another thing I'm interested in that no one in my 3D life seems to care about.

CarpeDM
July 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM
My hair definitely impacts my mood and can make me frustrated and cranky!

RebeccaG
July 15th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Like several others have said, if I'm having a terribly bad hair day or even a bad hair week, I just bun it and forget about it. I love my hair bunned and buns never disappoint me as no matter how crummy my hair might look loose, it always looks lovely in a bun. Or I can braid it and enjoy the long braid slapping against my back. It's all good. After all, isn't that one of the big advantages of having long hair --- No More Bad Hair Days! Yippee!

Yes! i definitely feel the same about buns. when my hair was too short for buns I definitely struggled with it more, now it's past BSL it's so much easier to deal with, less products, less fussing and a whole world of up do's. What's not to love?