PDA

View Full Version : Oiling blocking my conditioner?

liseling
June 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I did a heavy oiling 2 days ago and last night, the second shower since, I went to do a co wash and the conditioner was just not absorbing. It took way more conditioner than usual to get it to be slippery enough to detangle. What's this? The oil made my hair soft and moisturized but now my conditioner won't work. I'm guessing it'll wear off as the effects of the oil wear off, but it would be nice to be able to get the benefits of both my oil and my conditioner at the same time! Suggestions, anyone?

burns_erin
June 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
What type of oil and conditioner are you using?

ChloeDharma
June 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM
You could try doing a 2 step CO wash....many members use a lighter cheap conditioner initially then after leaving that on for a while rinse off then use a heavier conditioner for the 2nd step.

liseling
June 24th, 2008, 01:02 PM
My conditioner is faith in nature (I get it from www.faithinnature.co.uk -the lavender geranium one). Ingredients are:

water, cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, lavender oil, geranium oil, grape skin extract, linalool, citronellol, and geraniol.

It's a great cone-free conditioner, by the way, for anyone in the uk.

The oils I used were coconut oil, vatika oil mix (henna leaves, amla dry fruit extract, lemon oil, neem leaves, and some other fruit extracts), jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil, Shea butter, castor oil, and a bit of olive oil.
I love how the mix of oils makes my hair feel for several days afterward.

girlcat36
June 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that oil is drying my hair, as well. Your theory sounds plausible to me. I think I will take a break from oiling. I oil because I think it's the right thing to do, but it doesn't seem to be helping---just makes more frizz.

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I am very picky that I only put oil on wet hair ever. I know that everyone doesn't like to do this, but I see there are several curlies on this thread and I suspect it is possibly hair texture related.

Adding it to dry hair, I really only get oily dry hair, which isn't the same as moisturized hair.