PDA

View Full Version : Extra Virgin Olive oil

BeccaAngel
July 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have been doing EVOO treatments to my ends lately and I was wondering how often is the most you can do that? once a week? twice a month? i just feel like i need to do it a little more often, but I'm not sure how much would be ok and how much would be too often.:)

Madora
July 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I've only done it twice myself..one month apart, and have been pleased with the results.

Once in a while I use a tiny bit of coconut oil on the last 2 inches of my hair.

I don't believe in over conditioning my hair because the strands get over coated, making the hair unappealing and feeling funky.

I condition every time I shampoo, do the EVOO overnight thing and that's about it. I dilute both the shampoo and the conditioner.

~Jenny^-^~
July 13th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I leave EVOO in my hair overnight the night before I wash my hair. It has worked really well for me as long as I wash my hair properly so it not oily, yet it's still hydrated and soft. I don't really think you can do EVOO too much as long as you wash your hair right. As for how often I don't have a set time of when, just the night before I take a shower. Good luck! :)

Sundial
July 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM
As long as your hair likes it, I don't think there's a restriction to how often you indulge in it ;) I used to oil heavily everyday before I head to the gym and there weren't any detrimental effects. I guess the only constraint is the amount of time you can afford to spend on it

celebriangel
July 13th, 2011, 03:04 AM
By "treatment", what do you mean? If you mean you slather your ends in EVOO till practically dripping, well obviously you're limited to how often you can wash. I do an EVOO treatment every week before a wash, covering my whole head in EVOO till it's dripping then braiding and going to be. Almost all of it always soaks in by the morning, when I CO it out.

If you're just adding a few drops to your ends, though, you can do that every day if you like.

Of the Fae
July 13th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I use a mask every time my hair is very dry.
And do the tips every week or so. But when I do not rinse out my hair feels a little crunchy. Same problem amongst you guys?

Other than that I think it is great stuff:)

Belisarius
July 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Well, I only have time to do a deep oiling with it every month or so. But the results have been good so far.

Sookie
July 13th, 2011, 05:39 AM
It's not good to overcondition hair....i learned this from my cousin who is a hairdresser. You will make your hair fragile causing lots of split ends.

Anje
July 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
It's not good to overcondition hair....i learned this from my cousin who is a hairdresser. You will make your hair fragile causing lots of split ends.
It's not good to overmoisturize your hair, as it can result in stretchy, fragile, splitty hair. That typically comes from water-based moisture treatments and affects hair that requires extra protein, though. Similarly, it's not good to over-protein your hair because it becomes the polar opposite -- snarly and stiff and dry.

But the only detrimental effects of oiling I'm aware of is that it can be drying by affecting the amount of water in hair, and that some "drying" oils with high iodine values can oxidize and cross-link, resulting in buildup. Olive oil's not much of a culprit for this, though.

ChloeDharma
July 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
As others have said, you can do it as much as you like really....your hair will probably be the best guide by paying attention to how it is reacting. If you feel at the moment that your hair needs more then do more treatments.

At points i have kept my hair heavily oiled 24/7 washing my hair then loading it up with more oil again while it is still wet and adding more each day until it is next washed then repeating the process.
My hair grew very well during these times and it was not an uncommon practise in traditional Indian haircare to keep it oiled all the time.

santie
July 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I do it about once a month because I find it takes a couple of washes before the EVOO is properly washed out. I don't like the greasy after effect that it gives - it basically makes my hair very limp afterwards. So I try not to overdo it. As mentioned above, you need to assess what's best for YOUR hair based on your own experiences.

lady_hero
July 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I've been using EVOO on my ends pretty frequently ( every 3 days or so ) because I'm swimming a lot and I really want to prevent damage. I haven't noticed any over-moisturizational issues.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I've been meaning to try Olive Oil in my hair. Seems like it would be good from what I've heard. I think I might try it tonight! :)

Manzanilla
October 7th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I was just about to say the same thing!! I will probably try it out tonight on my ends and see how it goes!!

CastaDiva
October 7th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I soak my hair in evoo and leave it on overnight before every wash, two to three times a week. My hair seems to like it a lot, it`s so soft, shiny and easy to detangle and brush/comb:)

kanaka
October 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I used to apply Evoo and leave it overnight before washing, 3 times a week. i love Evoo a lot because it makes my hair moisturized and soft.

But lately i am using it once a week. i was thinking heavy oiling thrice a week with EVOO causing hair loss :confused: Don't know whether its my feeling or not but i am now using it once a week now and i am experiencing less hair fall too.

So these days, applying coconut oil lightly twice a week and heavy oiling with EVOO once a week :) and i am happy with this.......

robey
November 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I will have to try that:)

bunzfan
March 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
I know this thread is old but, i re discovered the benefits of EVOO as my hair is dry,dry dry maybe it didn't like coconut oil. I dont leave it on overnight though that makes it to slippery just 3 hours or so and then co wash it out.

chen bao jun
March 2nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Depends on your hair. Let it tell you. Some of us NEED constant moisture and others get greasy fast, there's no one size fits all. Dry hair soaks up EVOO especially curly hair and is not easily over conditioned but for others less is more. Scalp dryness matters too. If you are not over conditioned now, try to add one more treatment first for a while and see if that is fine, then go from there.

Naiadryade
March 2nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
I know this thread is old but, i re discovered the benefits of EVOO as my hair is dry,dry dry maybe it didn't like coconut oil. I dont leave it on overnight though that makes it to slippery just 3 hours or so and then co wash it out.

Hmm! I just replied to you over in another thread about how cones help your splits, and how we have similar hair types. I guess we really do--my hair loves EVOO to death, but doesn't get along with coconut oil. EVOO does make my hair a bit slippery, and I love it! I use a few drops at a time whenever my hair is feeling dry (this is often), and my hair doesn't really tangle since I started using it because of the slip. It is easy to overdo though and then it looks greasy...

EndlessSunshine
March 2nd, 2013, 12:49 PM
I oil my whole head at least one a week and then occasionally I just put the oil in my length and put it in a bun.

krustallos
March 5th, 2013, 01:47 AM
I started using Olive Oil around a month and a half ago - not soaking, just adding some drops to the ends and spreading it around. I do it twice a week, every time I wash the hair, after it's slightly dried from the wash but still humid.

For me, it solved about 80% or more of what I was unsatisfied about my hair before beginning it: besides dryness, the frizzies and general behaviour when dressed, the natural colour being somewhat undefined and varying too much from part to part, or from time to time (sometimes making it look messy unexpectedly, because of lighter parts becoming too light and other remaining darker, depending of the light on the ambient), and even the definition of the waves. All that considering I'm a wavy, have fairy-tale ends and don't use conditioner.

The only not exactly positive difference is that I never again managed to stretch washes much longer than the usual, as I could do sometimes before. If I get to the sixth day without washing it, I have a real mess over my head. But I wouldn't call that a problem, and the results are certainly more than worth it.

I never tried any other oils before. Basically because I hate coconut and love olives, so that was the reason for my choice. Luckily it worked out, as perhaps my hair might have different preferences than my taste buds. But apparently it doesn't!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 5th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Is it necessary to use extra virgin olive oil? Wouldn't ordinary 100% olive oil be just as good?

spirals
May 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I only use EVOO because it's what I prefer for cooking. But if I had "regular" o oil, I'd use that.

longhairedlady
May 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM
I use EVOO on my hair alot. I saturate it and let it sit sometimes a couple days then wash it out. I do this often, and it really helps my hair when it gets dry. Better than any conditioner I have used!

catamonica
May 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I put two capfuls in my shampoo & conditioner. And spray it on wait five minutes then shampoo. It really helps make your hair softer. And I use a bottle of conditioner & olive oil for the ends twice. A tiny bottle. It really helps dry ends. Hope this helps.

meteor
May 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
EVOO is the best detangler for me.
But it does make my hair limp if I overdo it.
It's probably the only oil that I've ever had serious trouble washing out.
But it's the most potent conditioner I know for dry hair.

beicapelli
August 13th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Hello, but you talk about oil "nature"? no other additions or ointments?

Akville
August 13th, 2014, 05:58 AM
As others have said, you can do it as much as you like really....your hair will probably be the best guide by paying attention to how it is reacting. If you feel at the moment that your hair needs more then do more treatments.

At points i have kept my hair heavily oiled 24/7 washing my hair then loading it up with more oil again while it is still wet and adding more each day until it is next washed then repeating the process.
My hair grew very well during these times and it was not an uncommon practise in traditional Indian haircare to keep it oiled all the time.

wow 24 7 with oil...

kganihanova
August 13th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I love EVOO for making my hair soft. It's almost better than coconut oil in that way......

beicapelli
September 2nd, 2014, 04:35 AM
they look really great advice!

I will try tonight