PDA

View Full Version : How do you take a self portrait of the back of your head?

neko_kawaii
July 12th, 2011, 09:49 PM
My SO is a talented photographer but he rolls his eyes something dreadful when I want him to take a picture of the back of my head so I can see what it actually looks like back there. I have noticed a lot of over the shoulder mirror shots and I tried to do that but couldn't get it focused enough to see what was going on. Are there any tricks to this that I just haven't thought of? Or do you just take a ton of pictures and then hope one of them isn't blurry? I'm working with a potentially antique mirror that admittedly needs to be cleaned but has a lot of age spots no surface cleaning will remove and the dresser the mirror is attached to puts a limit on how close I can physically get to the mirror, thought I suppose I could do a back bend. . .

Make suggestions or point-and-laugh, anything would be appreciated!

Mairéad
July 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
For me, all I need to do is make sure the flash is off and it usually comes out alright. If your computer is a laptop and has a web cam built in you can take a photo that way with the timer on.

Roseate
July 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
If you have a self-timer on the camera, set it on a bookshelf or counter. Look in the settings menu to see if there is a shutter delay/timer option. After a little trial and error to find a good spot in your house, you can set it up the same each time and it'll get easier! By now it only takes me 2 or 3 tries to get a good one.

Audrey Horne
July 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM
A self-timer in my case. And then I pick some photos that look more or less fine...

mulletesque
July 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM
My SO is a talented photographer but he rolls his eyes something dreadful when I want him to take a picture of the back of my head so I can see what it actually looks like back there. I have noticed a lot of over the shoulder mirror shots and I tried to do that but couldn't get it focused enough to see what was going on. Are there any tricks to this that I just haven't thought of? Or do you just take a ton of pictures and then hope one of them isn't blurry? I'm working with a potentially antique mirror that admittedly needs to be cleaned but has a lot of age spots no surface cleaning will remove and the dresser the mirror is attached to puts a limit on how close I can physically get to the mirror, thought I suppose I could do a back bend. . .

Make suggestions or point-and-laugh, anything would be appreciated!
I've been thinking about taking some pics and also pondering this. I was thinking how doing a back bend, or even just looking up at the ceiling, would add the illusion of 6 inches of length! I suppose that would apply whether it was a self-portrait or someone else taking the pic. But it seems like the neck/back bending might be more likely to happen when taking one's own pic... I even noticed a couple minutes ago a pic where someone was holding the camera sort of up over her head to get a mirror shot, and it DID look like she was craning her neck, thus adding (inadvertantly, I'm sure :D) the appearance of a couple inches.

neko_kawaii
July 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM
The timer and the camera in the laptop were great suggestions! I'll have to try that when I have time tomorrow. Thanks!

twilight_faerie
July 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
If you have a self-timer on the camera, set it on a bookshelf or counter. Look in the settings menu to see if there is a shutter delay/timer option.

This is what I do. I place the camera on the edge of my kitchen counter and kneel on the floor a few feet in front of the camera. I set the timer for 10 seconds so I don't have to rush to get into position before the picture is taken. Works like a charm, though I do feel a bit like a loser if there's anyone in the vicinity while I'm doing this.

Seeshami
July 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I put my camera on a candle holder and set the timer to ten seconds.
There is a corner of a tile in the bathroom that you stand on and then the candle holder's place is marked so I know I am lined up okay.

QueenJoey
July 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I have a a webcam that has a 3 second countdown before it takes the picture. I pull out my desk chair until the whole length of my hair is seen from the camera. I have a hand mirror that I use to see what the computer is seeing from behind me, I fix up my hair, then carefully click the "take picture" button. Carefully so as to not disturb my hair. It takes a few tries to get it right.

I just did it a few minutes ago to update my siggy pic, but I'm not happy with it. I'm about to redo the whole process until I'm completely satisfied with how the back of my head looks.

Madora
July 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I've tried the bathroom pics thingie and usually had to wait until there was enough sunlight for proper illumination.

I could have used artificial light but the color is always affected by incandescent or flourescent lighting, making my hair look dismal.

I much prefer sunlight and have a 5 ft tripod that I use. My camera also has a zoom and telephoto lens, plus a macro, so with a little experimenting I have much better luck with outdoor photography. I also use a timer. And yes, I have to take several shots, in different angles, before I'm satisfied with the picture (I can't always tell whether the pic is nice and sharp until I see it on my computer screen).

jeanniet
July 13th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I usually set my camera on a shelf and use the timer, but what do you do if you want to take a closer picture (to show off a new hair toy)? Mine always seem to come out blurry, even when I use the close up feature. I need to figure this out, because relying on my boys cruddy sense of photography (at least when it comes to my hair) isn't working that well.

pixiestar
July 13th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I usually get my daughter to take mine:) Occasionally I do my own with difficulty :D
I got caught by my neighbour last week:D wondering why I was taking pictures of my hair:o

Blandine
July 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Those mirror shots with the camera in them look so silly... I don't like them.

My technique is: Camera in right hand, arm outstretched as far to the back as possible, head turned left. Camera is pointing directly at the back of my head. How do I know it does? I am standing in front of a white wall or curtain, so I can see the red light of the autofocus and check if the shadow of my head is centered in this red light. Then take 3 or 4 photos, one of them will be fine.

Dina L.
July 13th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I put my camera on a bookshelf and use the remote control to expose.

Mirsha
July 13th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I don't have a camera that auto-focuses at the right moment when setting it to timer so I do this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/No-Eyes/lalapics.jpg

excuse me if the picture is too big!

IanB
July 13th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Yes, if you can get yourserlf a tripod, and your camera has a self timer, problem solved, it may take one or two attempts to find the right position to get the best shot, but after that, you'll get a good result. Happy snapping! Ian

emma907
July 13th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I find it easier sometimes to video the back of my head for a few mins, and take a still from the video...

mrs_coffee
July 13th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Bathroom mirror, camera over my head.

Becky9679
July 13th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Same, except I use my dressing table mirror as it's the biggest in the house. I really should try out using the timer and putting the camera on a shelf though, the lighting in my room is awful and as you can't really use a flash when taking a mirror picture it always comes out a little blurry. Also the picture tends to be a little wonky when I put the camera on my head, putting it on a shelf would sort this out

Anje
July 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Clean mirror, Digital camera with autofocus, lots of tries in hopes that one comes out.

Cirafly24
July 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I put my camera on the shelf above my computer and use the 10 second timer. I usually take one photo of the room without me in it to decide where I need to stand. Then I keep taking pictures until I get one I like :)

Ligeia_13
July 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Every time I try to take a photo like that, I always seem to photograph the floor, no matter how well I think I have the camera aligned :o so instead, I set my timer on my mobile to 10 seconds, prop it up and get into place. Unfortunately, I have no digital camera at the moment, so I have to make do.

neko_kawaii
July 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
So many great suggestions, thank you everyone! I ended up putting the camera on a small tripod on the top step in the back yard. I was going to use the timer, but my 3 year old wanted to help, so he ended up pushing the button for me. Lots of pictures of him, his giraffes and toy cat were also taken.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8248&pictureid=107798

Roseate
July 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Ha! Love the giraffes, very cute. Good job putting the kid to work! :)

Slinks
July 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
lol .. cut neko !!! :-)

my daughter loves to take photos so I always ask her, she is happy to do it for me :-)

swetiepeti
July 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM
after deleting a couple dozen attempts in the mirror I finally got my ten year old grandson to take my pic outside. So, I can't help much...

faithsdaisy421
July 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I must say... I am so glad that I am not the only one who has wondered how to do this :confused:

HoneyJubilee
July 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM
For length shots I use a mirror or a mini tripod and timer. For undo pics I can sometimes manage to reach behind myself over my head far enough to take a photo (this is what I did for my avatar picture).

Sarahlabyrinth
August 15th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I have just discovered how to put the camera on the windowsill and use the self timer. Works beautifully as long as you know the correct spot to stand.
For close up shots I use the camera in my hand trying to get it behind my head, which explains why my head is so often at funny angles in some of my photos, lol.

CrazyGrace
July 29th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread as this is something I have been trying to figure out. I have trouble taking pictures of the front of my own head for pity's sake, forget the back. I will give these suggestions a try and see what happens.

woodswanderer
July 29th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Fight through the vague feeling of foolishness and make DH do it :laugh:

Ennapic
July 29th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Back of head - tripod, remote control.

<<<< Mirror shot to show grey streaks - flash off.

MINAKO
July 29th, 2014, 11:56 PM
I have an app called snap clap on my ipad, so i set that up run around like a chicken and it takes a pic each time i clap. Success rate is around 1 of 20, lol.

schatten
July 30th, 2014, 12:11 AM
This is a very helpful thread!

eadwine
July 30th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Flash off, iso set to high (not needed when it is very light), macro on, and then I just stick my arm out, turn my face toward toward the camera to make sure it is sitting right, then turn it the other way around and keep the camera still :)

Majorane
July 30th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Baaaah, can I just hop in and complain about my SO? He does product photography (amongst other tings) for his job, but makes awful action shots. And he sighes and gets all cranky and generally just Does Not Want To Do It. :wail:

I'll try the SnapClap! Even if it doesn´t work for action shots, HOW FUN!

lapushka
July 30th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I sit in the same spot every time. Then my mom puts the camera on a dresser a few meters behind the chair. She is shaky so she hits the self-timer and lets it snap a picture. As I'm disabled there's no way I can do this myself, so she does it for me. This way the photographs are somewhat consistent.

two_wheels
July 30th, 2014, 03:54 AM
I have a hand mirror and a bathroom mirror. So I stand with my back to the bathroom mirror, hold the camera in my right hand over my right shoulder, and use the hand mirror to check the camera screen.

Another way is to hold your arm behind you as far as it will go back & towards the middle of your back, look at the camera (to line it up), then look away. That's what I'm doing in my avatar.

JustPam
July 30th, 2014, 05:54 AM
My phone came with one of those car windshield mounts that I stuck on the wardrobe door and used self timer

sourgrl
July 30th, 2014, 06:10 AM
My phone has a selfie option. I just need to stand in front of a reflective surface (car window, bathroom mirror) and I can see the pic as I take it.

Merlin
July 30th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I don't do it, but if I did I'd use a tripod...

NatNat
July 30th, 2014, 12:32 PM
What I do is set the self timer on my digital camera for 10 seconds, I go outside and set it on the bbq and stand a few feet away. A little bit of trial and error but it usually works fine!

neko_kawaii
July 30th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I finally remembered to find a camera timer app so I can do back-of-head photos with the big tablet. I've gotten pretty good with selfies where I aim while looking at the screen and then turn my head away. The best ones are in spots where I can brace the camera against something stable.

Funny to see this thread revived! Glad others can learn from it too.

Remi
July 31st, 2014, 04:36 PM
So happy for all the helpful tips on this thread.