PDA

View Full Version : What to secure a side pony with, form and function?

Hotrox
July 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I think my hair looks nice in a side pony, with the curls just bouncing over my shoulders BUT I never wear this style out as I never know what to secure the pony with!

A scrunchi is too much, but a simple elastic is too basic, and doesn't give the extra 'wow' factor :p

What do you guys use, I was thinking about a very small banana clip worn low at the side to give a little more volume/waterfall effect but am scared to look like a 80's throwback!

So guys - hit me with some inspiration, pictures would be nice too :D

Joribear
July 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Have you thought about trying a flexi-8?

battles
July 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Maybe something with a flower, like this?

http://images.sugarscape.com/userfiles/image/NOVEMBER/Natalie/s1.jpg

I think it's pretty. :)

chahuahuas
July 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM
How about a nice ribbon? You said you don't want to look too 80s, so maybe a thin, delicate ribbon of a darker color, like dark blue or green or black. That way it isn't as girlish, but it's still feminine and pretty :) You can even tie the ribbon around a non-metal pony elastic.

(If you wanted to go girlish, you should check out the pictures I just posted in my album with my poofy crazy (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107711) curly PINK (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107712) ribbon bow (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107713)!)

Hotrox
July 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the ideas ladies :D

Have you thought about trying a flexi-8?

Actually, I do have a small flexi-8 which I never considered using, I'll give this a go and see how it looks

Maybe something with a flower, like this?

Thanks, This is very pretty, just what I am aiming for but my hair is a little shorter and at this length a scrunchi takes up too much length - perhaps I should hunt out a smaller one

How about a nice ribbon? You said you don't want to look too 80s, so maybe a thin, delicate ribbon of a darker color, like dark blue or green or black. That way it isn't as girlish, but it's still feminine and pretty :) You can even tie the ribbon around a non-metal pony elastic.

Thanks Chahuahuas, your ribbons are adorable, I simple ribbon tied around an elastic could work, even a sipme bow would be pretty.

So many good ideas, I new you all could help!

Flossy
July 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Do you wear it low? Could you twist a bit of your own hair around it and pin it secure?

Hotrox
July 13th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Do you wear it low? Could you twist a bit of your own hair around it and pin it secure?

I could I guess, I need to maser this technique - the wrapped bit always ends up a bit frizzy, more liked frayed rope than an elegant hair tie!

growingpains
July 13th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I could I guess, I need to maser this technique - the wrapped bit always ends up a bit frizzy, more liked frayed rope than an elegant hair tie!

The key is to wrap it only once or twice around the pony so the pin doesn't secure it near the end of the hair. Kinda like braids, if you leave more "tassle" there is less frazzle (at least for me).

I think a small claw would be nice, maybe one of those three or four pronges per side ones, about a an inch and a half by an inch and a half.

I personally also like side french braids or half side french braids that end in pony's for extra wow. For a side french braid I generally start it low and immediately work it off centre so it comes over one shoulder when it gets near my nape.

:)

chahuahuas
July 13th, 2011, 01:43 AM

Ugh I know what you mean. I don't think I could EVER figure that style out.

freckles
July 13th, 2011, 03:05 AM

I've never really mastered the 'hair hair tie' with loose hair either, but sometimes I wrap an accent braid (3 strand or rope) around a hair tie instead -- it's easier secure that way. Maybe that's an idea?