PDA

View Full Version : Blue hair disaster!

melissa8989
July 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
So this is the biggest disaster since high school. First i had my hair thinned out. Very, very thinned out :(. Then i decided to dye my dark red/brown hair blonde (bad idea i know). Naturally i ended up with neon gold yellow hair. So i dyed it twice with light ash blonde box dye, I figured what the hell at this point. So with it still being a bleach spot i have just blended Clairol 8A ash blonde with Clairol mixed tones blue Foid toner from sally's hair supply.. "..DRUM ROLL..." I now have thin, fried, intensely blue collar bone length hair that CAN'T survive another dye and I happen to look even worse in black hair than blue which is my only other apparent option at this point.. Any suggestions?? Really i can only laugh at myself at this point :jestor: seeing as i knew better and have been babying it from a buzz cut -sigh- :cheese:

embee
July 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I guess you get to have blue hair for a while! :D

When I was in highschool I put an ash-blonde rinse on my hair. When I got caught in a rainstorm it "ran" blue color down the back of my white shirt. Never tried *that* again. ;) Odd, it was not permanent in my hair but it sure was permanent on my shirt.

melissa8989
July 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I thought i knew better by now :( after all the freakin oils and protective up dos lol.. It was the same color when i was 15 and i have a feeling my family thinks it was intentional even though i showed them the dye tubes lol. Is there any way i can at least have the illusion of not fried hair? I know i can't "fix" it but maybe i can make it look ok?

racrane
July 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM
What I would and know others would suggest is *enjoy* your blue hair for the time being, and baby the heck out of it. Maybe the color will fade soon? I have a friend who intentionally dyes her hair blue and it always fades quickly in the summer months.

Signe
July 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
what about veggie dyes and such? surely your hair is perfect for them right now, and they aren't damaging...you should go wild while you can!

melissa8989
July 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM
well i guess its good i live in florida lol. I actually kind of like it but i dont like my family commenting or the idea of going to work tomorrow.

melissa8989
July 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM
what are veggie dyes?

racrane
July 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Um, you could always decorate with a large headband or something? That could help with going into work. And put the rest of your hair into a bun?

melissa8989
July 12th, 2011, 08:20 PM
thanks for the idea but the salon butchered it with a razor and its far to thin to do my old stuff, my pony circumference is under two inches :(.

Signe
July 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Veggie dyes are temporary hair colour. Some popular brands are Manic Panic, Special Effects, Directions, and Elumen. They come in every colour of the rainbow and wash out in a few weeks to a few months. Because they only deposit colour, they don't use ammonia or peroxide, so they aren't damaging. By your description of it, I bet your hair is quite porous at the moment, so it would be perfect for holding onto the colour of a deposit-only dye for a long time.

Nae
July 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Well.....I know next to nothing about dyes. I am hoping one of our resident dye gurus will show up. I would say let it be for at least 2 weeks. Oil and SMT it and hope for the best. (I actually have heard somewhere about oil sometimes lifting color. But don't quote me on that.)

melissa8989
July 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
thanks you guys are awesome for not laughing. As I think you can see from my avatar ive decided to home chop it, back to square one :rolleyes:. btw its turned green :o.

Sama
July 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
A note about the veggie dyes -
I have some experience with using Manic Panic and Special FX. Manic Panic actually stains the hair and will never entirely come out. Special FX/Special Effects is a more reliable option as far as being something that *should* wash out entirely [keyword should LOL please don't hold me accountable to this if it doesn't wash out entirely]. I would recommend Special FX since you don't want to have to damage your hair any further.

By the way, I am sooo not going to laugh at you over this - I am the one who dyed her hair auburn, jumped in a chlorinated swimming pool and climbed out with VIOLET hair, after all. :o

chahuahuas
July 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
OMG! Blue? You should totally throw some green dye in there and make it teal! I've always wanted teal hair.... Maybe you could even at green in highlights, making teal highlights!!

ETA: If it turned green, you should add blue! I still vote teal! :p

RitaCeleste
July 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
You could oil the crap out of it with coconut oil, sometimes that pulls dye out. Sadly it was just a little each wash, in a month it added up to me wondering where all the dark red went though. But it'll be good for the condition of your fried hair too.

melissa8989
July 23rd, 2011, 07:44 AM
LOL at going teal, when i was looking at the blonde toner options I did shoot a longing look at the teal, but i knew it whould be hell to ever get out and would require a bleach and a single dye at least when i wanted normal hair again. i have been trying the coconut oil method, its taken it back down to green so far :p. I think the violet sounds pretty.. but what an odd way for dye to react to chlorine! I would have never thought, i bet you were surprised :D. Maybe ill take this short hair and finally grow out the dye. It seem near impossible with my hair at APL, didn't want to wait for the dye to grow out just to cut it back to short. Pfft! Oh well, i guess its a "short" wait now! :cheese:

shellblue1
July 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe try a gold filler from Sally's? May take some of the green out.

Sama
July 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
LOL at going teal, when i was looking at the blonde toner options I did shoot a longing look at the teal, but i knew it whould be hell to ever get out and would require a bleach and a single dye at least when i wanted normal hair again. i have been trying the coconut oil method, its taken it back down to green so far :p. I think the violet sounds pretty.. but what an odd way for dye to react to chlorine! I would have never thought, i bet you were surprised :D. Maybe ill take this short hair and finally grow out the dye. It seem near impossible with my hair at APL, didn't want to wait for the dye to grow out just to cut it back to short. Pfft! Oh well, i guess its a "short" wait now! :cheese:

Thank you, it was pretty, I suppose. Just not what I was going for, and yes, it was definitely a surprise to turn up with violet hair. I think, because it takes a day or two for chemical color to "set" in your hair, "washing" my hair in the relatively harsh chlorinated water messed with the chemical compounds that had dyed my hair...or something like that. LOL

Kathie
July 24th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I would be donning a hat and making my way to a professional colorist asap :P Deposit dyes that don't have any ammonia etc in them, like the vegetable dyes mentioned above, could help to tone out the blue.

Kristamommyx3
July 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Lol, funny you said that, because I live in FL, too, and I was thinking nobody would bat an eye in this state! :p

well i guess its good i live in florida lol. I actually kind of like it but i dont like my family commenting or the idea of going to work tomorrow.

RitaPG
July 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
- Quit the bleach, the toners, and all peroxide or ammonia based dyes for a while.
- If you really want to change color, use vegetable based dyes, as someone mentioned above; Manic Panic, Special Effects, Directions, Stargazers, are all good and more or less temporary.
- Oil the crap out of it with coconut oil, let it soak for at least two hours before washing (I did this when my hair was fried, it helped a lot) and use a thick, creamy conditioner for dry hair.

Also, I would never laugh at you, I once dyed my brown hair blue and it turned out green too. It actually looked pretty cool :D