PDA

View Full Version : Leave-ins?

buttercupmcgee
July 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hi,

Two questions:

1. What are the different benefits between combing a few drops of oil in dry hair as a leave in, and using a drugstore leave in conditioner?

2. Which drugstore leave-ins are LHC recommended?

*Rose Red*
July 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I don´t know what is LHC recommended, but I like:
coconut oil
lush R&B leave-in

I use oil the night before a hair wash, and only a few drops after the hair wash, and from time to time a leave-in, like I want.

Siiri
July 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
They are supposed to do the same thing, coat the hair and moisturize. I don't use oils as leave-in, because they seem to build up very easily when I do deep treatments with them. So I just use a commercial leave-in conditioner for now, which seems to work fine. I'm thinking the oils may work better for longer and drier hair than mine, so I'll probably try them out when I get more length. My conditioner actually has coconut oil, but the concentration is smaller than using pure oil, so it doesn't build up as easily. I use Alba botanica fragrance free leave-in conditioner. I don't know whether it is LHC recommended, but it doesn't have any "bad" stuff, I think.

vanillabones
July 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Well, I use both. When my hair is damp right out of the shower I apply coconut oil to the ends and then smooth my fingers over the sides of my scalp (it really helps and doesnt weigh down even my hair) For the past week I was kicked out and didn't have my coconut oil but still had my detangler leave-in and wow my hair suffered.

Then I use a detangler leave-in called 'It's a 10' detangler. I found out about it on youtube when I used to search there for hair care before LHC. (it is very coney) I love this detangler I spray about 3 sprays around my whole head then detangle with a wide tooth comb bottom up and leave it alone.
It is expensive though and I plan to buy a cheapy detangler from suave or something instead when it's gone.

Leave-in conditioners scare me... that it will be too heavy in my hair or crunchy or gunky I don't know :(

heidi w.
July 12th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I had a bad experience with product leave-ins, but have never been led astray using coconut oil as my leave-in.

Keep in mind that some can upturn the balance of protein in products if they add a leave-in product. You see, products of a shampoo/conditioner line are balanced to have the right amount of protein in the product...and a leave-in can tilt this in the too-much category. The classic symptom of too-little too-much (more likely too much) protein amongst the plethora of products is suddenly and inexplicably hair literally breaks off, a lot, and suddenly, as in immediately after to a few days after of using said product.

Be SURE to read how to use the leave-in. In my case, I ignored the obvious step of read the instructions and later read the bottle which declares straight hair types should rinse it out! No wonder!

Just be aware this could happen. No guarantee that it will. But just know that it can happen.

heidi w.