PDA

View Full Version : hairsyles when you're sick

skara_brae
July 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
The doctor informed me yesterday that I have bronchitis. Needless to say my energy and stamina are lacking, and I am lazing about in bed...with my waist-length hair in a ponytail. *cringe*

What are your favourite ways to keep your hair protected and untangled when you're going to be tossing and turning in bed a lot, but don't have a lot of energy to do much? I'm tentatively thinking a loose one-strand English braid (I'm a side-sleeper).

Copasetic
July 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I always wear my hair in a bun on top of my head when I go to bed. I don't like anything to get in my way when I move around.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Ishje
July 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
if I am really lazy I use a sleeping cap and put my hair in it :)
but usually I braid my hair.

Seeshami
July 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
The naughty mess is normally a sloppy bun or braid when I am in bed. If I am sick and it's not up and I lack the energy to fight with it I let it be a rat snaggle tangle mess.

vanity_acefake
July 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry to hear you are unwell. Hope you feel better soon.
My sleep hairstyle is a side braid or 2 French pleats.

Alvrodul
July 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
When I was in hospital for an operation last month, I wore a braided "Amish style" 'do that i found the desctiption for here on the board. Held like a rock - without any need for hairpins even! I actually did not undo my hair until a couple of days later. :D

dulce
July 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
When I hurt my back and had to spend a few weeks in bed,I used a satin flounced sleeping cap the whole time[hair loose inside]It worked like a charm,no tangles or frizz or damage.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
braided pigtails protects the hair best, yet allows me to sleep with no lumps in the way.

Use a very soft pillowcase, and with bronchitis, consider changing that pillowcase fairly often, turning the pillow over to use the other side first.

The hair is then generally kept from tangling even if it gets kinda messy lookin' meanwhile.

heidi w.

feb26
July 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'd do a very loose braid as I find buns are hard to sleep on.

1953Diygal
July 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM
When I was in the hospital the nurses put my hair into a bun on top of my head. I also had it in pigtail braids but the hair on the back of my head would get kind of tangly so the braids would have to be redone. I would really recommend incorporating a satin sleep bonnet and a satin pillowcase into the mix. You would be surprised at how quickly mats form. Trust me...I speak from experience:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61633&highlight=sickbed+dreads

Madora
July 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I found out that a loosely braided bun on the very top of my head was the ideal way to avoid 99.9% of tangles (as opposed to two braids hanging down). The differance was like day and night.

Also, I braid that braid from a bent at the waist position (all my hair hanging in front, like a curtain). Just detangle your hair thoroughly, divide it in 3 sections, and begin to braid loosely, then coil it in a bun atop your head, and secure it in the 4 positions (N/S/E/W with long crimped hairpins).

Hope you are feeling much better soon, Skara brae!

charalito
July 12th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Get well soon skara_brae!

If it's only for a day or two I do a bun on the top of my head, but longer than that my scalp starts to hurt. Braided pigtails are really comfortable, you can wear them for a week if you must and the don't make my scalp hurt if left too long. And wear a silk scarf over your hair to prevent mats.

celebriangel
July 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
When I was sick I summoned all my energy and slathered my hair in EVOO (it was feeling very dry and tangly at the time because I wasn't able to eat) then dutch braided it. The braid was much easier because of the EVOO, and I left it that way for days. I also lay on a silk scarf so I wouldn't disturb it too much.

LoversLullaby
July 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
My favorite is two English braids. They hold well and are comfy to sleep in.

Angela_Rose
July 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Pigtail braids!

I hope you feel better soon.

torrilin
July 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Twin braids if you have the energy, single braid if you're just dead. You'll have to redo the single braid more often tho.

skara_brae
July 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm tentatively thinking a loose one-strand English braid (I'm a side-sleeper).

LOL. Here you can see how out of it I was. A one-strand braid would be quite a feat! I meant a single braid (as opposed to a double braid), naturally...

When I was in hospital for an operation last month, I wore a braided "Amish style" 'do that i found the desctiption for here on the board. Held like a rock - without any need for hairpins even! I actually did not undo my hair until a couple of days later. :D

I think I actually saw that thread. That was the one with six braids that all braided into each other, and the ends were tucked under the braids, right? I'd like to try it out when I have a bit more energy; it looks interesting.

You would be surprised at how quickly mats form. Trust me...I speak from experience:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61633&highlight=sickbed+dreads

Wow. That sounds like an intense experience. :shocked: I don't think my hair has ever gotten that bad, but I've never been bedridden that long either.

Anyhoo. Off to have a shower and redo this braid into something else. The top part (above the braid) always pulls out a bit and looks so messy after I lay down on it...

Arianoor
July 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Generally, I can't stand to have my hair down. But when I am sick or hurt I can't stand to put it up! Maybe I feel safer with it down? *shrug* Anyway, it is very naughty, but I don't care at the time.

Get well soon!

mysticfishtales
July 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM
The birth of my last child landed me in the hospital for an extended (2 week) stay plus limited movement for a few weeks after my release. During that time pigtail braids and the good ole' french braid was my go to hairstyles.

CariadA
July 14th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Whenever I am in the hospital or too sick to get out of bed at home, I do a nautilus bun held with spin pins.

One of the reasons I don't use my hairsticks as much as I would like is because I spend too much time in bed or on the couch. I know that makes me sound really lazy.:) Bobby pins don't work for my hair, the points on Amish pins prick my head and make it hurt, but spin pins work well for me. I also sleep in a nautilus bun held with spin pins and a scarf wrapped around my head.

Unfortunately, many of the times I have been in the hospital have been unexpected. Because I do not have my hair toys or spin pins with me, I usually have to braid. Sleeping on a braid really messes up my hair for some reason. Some hospitals do offer pretty good toiletries, but never anything for hair. I now have an emergency toiletry pack that DH can bring to me that contains a thin scruncy, spin pins, floss, a toothbrush, toothpaste, facewash, lotion and chapstick. I also toss in a crossword puzzle book just so I have something to do if I don't have a book with me.

ETA: Three of my hospital visits in the last year ended up with me on a heparin drip, which means no bending my arm at all. I was also in the ICU so no one could visit me (no one to help with hair) so I just had to leave it down for several days at a time. It did get very matted! If you can get the strength, please do put it up! Hope you feel better!

skara_brae
July 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I do a nautilus bun held with spin pins.

One of the reasons I don't use my hairsticks as much as I would like is because I spend too much time in bed or on the couch.

I have the same problem with hairsticks at home, actually.

But these spin pins...I just did a Google image search. How on earth do you put them in a nautilus?! Are there videos about these things I can watch, or something?

CariadA
July 15th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I have the same problem with hairsticks at home, actually.

But these spin pins...I just did a Google image search. How on earth do you put them in a nautilus?! Are there videos about these things I can watch, or something?

At least I'm not the only one who can't wear hairsticks while lounging around at home! Now I don't feel like such a lazy bum (even though I totally am one). :)

I do know there are videos on youtube for spin pins, but I don't know of any good ones. They are kind of like inserting a screw; you just twist it in and then twist it back out. They never snag or tangle on my hair. They are really quite brilliant!

I make the big loop on the nautilus small, so when it fits over the rest of the hair it is already pretty secure. Then I put one spin pin in from the top of the bun and another one in from the bottom. I have really fine and slippery hair, and this will hold for me for a very long time. Some days I even leave the bun in all day after having slept on it the night before.

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I do a messy bun when I'm not feeling well, or a half pulled through ponytail. Both are easy and don't take any effort to do, yet they keep the hair out of my way.

Panth
October 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM
You could try a caterpillar 'braid' if you're really exhausted. Basically, make a ponytail. Then, put bands along the length every 3-4" or so until you get to the end. It's less effort than a plait, plus can be done by people who don't know how to plait, but is more protective than a plain ponytail or loose hair.

Rowan1980
October 9th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I'm partial to either pigtail braids or a single braid. I can't sleep comfortably with a bun.

archel
October 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
For those of you who can't sleep in sticks or pins, the Goody Ouchless Updo Barette is fabulous! It's flexible, curved to fit your head, has no sharp edges to poke and is smooth and kind to the hair. They make a set of 2 smaller ones too that might be good for braid ends, but I haven't tried those yet. I have been doing a peacock or a french twist with the large one just about every day and they are comfy for sleeping in too.

naturegirl321
October 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Folded over with a scrunchie.