PDA

View Full Version : whatīs the best way to keep your hair during the day ?

jaquelines
July 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
due to my work i have to sit almost of the day on the chair. and i was thinking what is the best way to keep your hair during the day if you donīt have to move around too much ? should i let it loos and wair a hairband, or make some braids ? :cool:

Alaia
July 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
How long is your hair?

I wear braids, buns AND loose hair at this length (1" above waist) but at TB my hair was almost always in a bun of some kind (occasionally a braid).

heidi w.
July 12th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Up. up. and up.

Why?

This is the best way to preserve the health of the hair.

Even if sitting, your head is turning, and potentially you can rub the hair against unfriendly fabrics, cottons included, knits being the worst, and incite tangles.

My hair is up 99% of the time.

IF I am working, this means I'm ready to do anything: filing, bending over, moving a chair, whatever. There's no need to put my hair up.

I make sure my hair is not an issue on the job. I'm there to work, and my goal is to have healthy hair. Up is the only answer.

Learn lots of updos. I have a plethora of them that I can do, some taking more than less time in the morning, but I wear it up, every. single. day.

My hair also doesn't get caught in car windows, wrap a strand unpleasantly about my neck, or in my mouth or across my eyes, or in seatbelts....and the like. Risk of tears and tangles increase when it's down.

All the uber long-hairs generally wear their hair up. That's part of the reason how they arrived at uber long.

I encourage you to learn braided updos as a variety. You could do half up, half down, sometimes, as a slightly special occasion hair style.

heidi w.

denzelswifey86
July 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
a Bun is ideal if your trying to grow ur hair! u can wear cute hair accesories . It doesnt have to be boring you can make it look nice~

heidi w.
July 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I have weaved in as many as 3 ribbons into braided hair to give some color to the thing. It ends up looking more "hat" -like.

I have made s curved buns, and then accented the s curvature with clipped in butterflies or dragonflies....that kind of thing.

Ornaments are your friend. Be sure they're hair friendly.

heidi w.

jaquelines
July 12th, 2011, 09:10 AM
i have shoulder lenght at this moment. the reason i was asking is mainly because...when i do braids on my hair, eventhough they are not necessarily tight, my scalp kind of hurts when i unbraid them. i noticed that sometimes my hairroot ( scalp) hurst, but especially when i untight the braids, there is tension in my scalp in the moment i touch the hair and move its position.
and than, i don´t know why, but if i to make a braid, my hair sticks together after that. although i have no buildup, i do not use cones, or much protein, etc..

heidi w.
July 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Your scalp hurts because you've drawn the hair in a direction other than it grows, and possibly a bit tightly for comfort, which means that the capillaries under the surface of the scalp skin swell from the agitation. Some can even get headaches from this, or even the mere weight of the hair when longer....

You need to rest your hair at night if it's in an updo or tied up somehow, such as braided, by day. Let the hair rest in its natural direction of growth.

We are all born with a way that our hair grows in, which is why so many of us have hair parts...the hair grows off to one side of the other, or the back. Look at a baby's head of hair and you can see this more clearly, the pattern of how hair grows in.

Use a satin or similarly smooth pillowcase at night so the hair can slide.

When you undo your hair from a day's updo, you can massage the scalp skin with padded fingertips (the pads of your fingers), to help encourage blood flow and relax the skin a little faster. Be careful, because if you get good at this, it can produce a bit more sebum.

heidi w.

Anje
July 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Mine's normally bunned, sometimes in a braid.

If you want to wear it loose, make sure you don't let it rub on the back of your chair. Lots of people seem to suddenly get splits at "rubs on chair" length, sometimes to the point where their hair seems to stop growing entirely.

Sitting on it is also generally a bad idea for preserving length. But usually by the time you're realizing you sit on your hair if you're not careful, you're in the habit of wearing it up anyway.

jaquelines
July 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
thank you for the input especially heidi. i will take your comment under advisement. i have now an updo , itīs been a few hours, but i have the feeling i have to scratch over my head. i donīt know if i have to get used to it first or not, but it doesnīt feel really comfortable. no, it is not tight.

Islandgrrl
July 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Up in a bun for me. I don't like the friction of a braid against the back of a chair. Too damaging.

spidermom
July 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I put a very soft pillowcase over the back of my office chair (like the back of the chair is a pillow; I pulled the pillowcase completely over it). If my hair is down, it's not rubbing against anything rough that way.

Most of the time I bun my hair while I'm working. I don't like to have it down because it catches in the space between my back and the back of the chair. But if the bun pulls or becomes uncomfortable in any way, I let it down for awhile. Then I put it back up.

Misti
July 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have now an updo , itīs been a few hours, but i have the feeling i have to scratch over my head. i donīt know if i have to get used to it first or not, but it doesnīt feel really comfortable. no, it is not tight.

Jaquelines, with your hair at should length, you still have time to get your hair accustomed to updoes gradually.

I suggest that you massage your scalp as Heidi suggested any time your scalp complains about wearing your hair up. Also, practice an updo once a week at work, and let your hair relax the rest of the time. Once it doesn't annoy you too much, you can add another day when you wear an updo.

Try also wearing a difefrent type of updo every time you wear your hair up, so that you don't put too much stress on any one part of your hair (and also so you can find out which ones are more comfortable for you.)

jaquelines
July 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Up in a bun for me. I don't like the friction of a braid against the back of a chair. Too damaging.

yes maīam :)

jaquelines
July 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Jaquelines, with your hair at should length, you still have time to get your hair accustomed to updoes gradually.

I suggest that you massage your scalp as Heidi suggested any time your scalp complains about wearing your hair up. Also, practice an updo once a week at work, and let your hair relax the rest of the time. Once it doesn't annoy you too much, you can add another day when you wear an updo.

Try also wearing a difefrent type of updo every time you wear your hair up, so that you don't put too much stress on any one part of your hair (and also so you can find out which ones are more comfortable for you.)

misti, do you know if there is any thread with picture of favorite updos ? which work good for the scalp ? i used to have very long hair, so i donīt have problems with updos, or braids, but since you mentioned to try different ones, i realized that i do only one kind : i sit with my head down, start from behind of my scalp to do a braid and put the braid on the top of my head.

Misti
July 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Jaquelines, the albums are full of photos of updo photos, and there are "how to" instructions in the articles section: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1

I visit there whenever I get bored with what I am doing. :D

Madora
July 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Everything Heidi W said!!!!