PDA

View Full Version : Self trimming

Keller1128
July 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
How many of you trim your own hair? If you do or ever have, what methods do/did you use for self-trimming and how did it turn out?

MissManda
July 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I self trim using Feye's Method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) in the soft U-cut style. Here is a picture that shows the results of my efforts fairly well. Micro-trimming may not be what you're looking into, but the picture does show what my hemline looks like after every time I trim.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=107513

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I second Feye's Self Trim Method! Easy to do. Great results! I prefer a blunt hemline.

gthlvrmx
July 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I started a similar thread before about this:p
I S&D for now, but once i think it's time for a trim, i will go curly by curl and off minimal amount. Or if i am chicken, im going to the salon :p

Keller1128
July 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry for the repeat thread, gthlvrmx - I didn't see anything about self-trimming when I did a search. I've seen some videos on youtube on self-trimming methods (the ones I saw were Feye's method as well) and I'd like to try it once my hair gets longer. It's not yet APL.

Melon Collie
July 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I was finally daring enough to try Feye's method last October and I was impressed with how easy it was. So no more bi-yearly trips to the beautician for me. :D

gthlvrmx
July 11th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Sorry for the repeat thread, gthlvrmx - I didn't see anything about self-trimming when I did a search. I've seen some videos on youtube on self-trimming methods (the ones I saw were Feye's method as well) and I'd like to try it once my hair gets longer. It's not yet APL.
Tis alright, that's why there are forums, for people to answer nicely to questions, keeping it going.:)

Roscata
July 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I used Feye's self-trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) method too. This is the result:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/ioana2adelina/Hair%20site%20uploads/beforeaftertrim.png

QueenJoey
July 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I've self trimmed once. I used Feye's method for a tiny little trim, that only got a few of my longest strands do to all my layers, but it made a world of difference to how healthy the bottom looks. Definitely gonna be doing this more often!

Keller1128
July 12th, 2011, 12:39 AM
MissManda, I can't see your picture. I can see yours though, Roscata, and it looks great! Did you do the v- or u-shaped trim?

Roscata
July 12th, 2011, 12:40 AM
MissManda, I can't see your picture. I can see yours though, Roscata, and it looks great! Did you do the v- or u-shaped trim?

Oh thank you! I did the slight U shaped trim. :D

kme81
July 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Feye's method (as in microtrims) ...or I will have my mom do it because she is a hair stylist who will (sort of) listen to what I want! haha :)

MissManda
July 12th, 2011, 01:25 AM

Oh dear, I didn't realize your post count was under 25. Whoops, my bad. :o My picture was linked through my album, so members under a certain post count cannot view it. I'm so sorry!
Well, you have 25 posts now, so you should be able to see it soon.

Will you take a cookie as an apology? :)

Keller1128
July 12th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Oh dear, I didn't realize your post count was under 25. Whoops, my bad. :o My picture was linked through my album, so members under a certain post count cannot view it. I'm so sorry!
Well, you have 25 posts now, so you should be able to see it soon.

Will you take a cookie as an apology? :)

Don't worry about it :) I can see it now! That's a very clean trim you did there! Looks great! I'm going to have to try that. Yes, cookies are quite acceptable for apologies :D

skaempfer
July 12th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Another for Feye's here. I haven't been to a hairdresser in twenty years, due to a long string of bad experiences.
Works for me.

charalito
July 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I follow Feye's method and so far the results have been great. Started selftrimming a year ago, first with microtrims to test my skills and eventually went up to a 1.5" trim when I felt more confident.

It's a great way to cut only what you want and for getting rid of layers without losing much length.

SoulOfTheSea
July 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Well for me, I put my hair into two pigtails. Then I take one of the pigtails, and separate it into smaller sections. I trim about a quarter of an inch off, and then let down the other parts (bit by bit) and trim those as well. Then I do the other side. And I never trim wet, only dry for me :D

Mesmerise
July 12th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I've been using Feye's method too, and it works quite well for me! Not sure I get it perfect... my issue is that I have so much taper that when I move the hairband down the hair, it gets too loose and floppy and I'm sure it must slip a bit when I try and bring my hair over my shoulder to cut the end!

Lianna
July 12th, 2011, 07:32 PM
My hair is short and full of layers to that method. I just pull two sections to the front and trim those ends. Then I separate the upper part, pull up between my fingers and cut diagonally. It's the standard layer method.

Like 0:22 in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUjOr04DUTM) video, my layers are only in the last inch though.

motormuffin
July 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I use a crea clip. I just cut 1 1/2" the other day. I suppose I should take a pic.