PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite APL style?

Mrs. D
July 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
In a rut, inspire me...

Sundial
July 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Not going to be much help because mine were half ups. I couldn't work many of the regular APL styles because of my slippery iii layered hair.

But the usual APL styles are Gibson tuck, peacock twists, French twist, sock bun, split bun, cheater's bun. You can also do half up versions of any other buns (nautilus, lazy wrap, etc) - you can practice doing the buns while growing out your hair long enough to attempt the full bun at a later stage

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Those above work well, but for me, I just play around. I don't know all the names to everything, but just by playing around I found different things I liked. Also, glittery and pretty hairtoys liven up styles. :D

Tabihito
July 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Towards the longer end of APL, I'm getting pretty fond of a really pathetic cinnabun. It takes twenty seconds to do and holds well, even with layers. It's also a great time to play with wearing your hair down before it gets impractical. Braid waves might be nice, since if your 1a/1b is accurate, you don't usually have much wave. Rag curls also work, and even pin curls if you've got the patience. I do braid waves for less wave/curl, but same concept applies.

If it's long enough and not too layered, a single braid to the side of your head is nice. I like to put a flower in with my hairtie. If it isn't long enough, you might be able to do a diagonal French braid to a low side ponytail thing. Not sure how best to explain it.

UltraBella
July 12th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Definitely peacock twist. My favorite at APL !

kme81
July 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM
French braid! ...and then tucking up the end, it can look really elegant!

theodora
July 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I second the half-ups suggestions! My favourite at the minute is the 'cersei' on torrin paige's youtube channel. It's basically a half-up with two rope braids joining at the back, and it looks extra nice with some braid waves.
My favourite style to wear for several consecutive days is two fishtail braids. They take a while to do but I find they're quite resilient as I wore mine to go hiking in very windy weather.

In terms of updos, I have discovered the joy of the french twist. It's so quick and easy to do and once secured properly, doesn't budge much.

Imagine if we can already have so much fun with APL hair, what's it gonna be like at BSL and beyond!

pink.sara
July 12th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I second the peacock twist, although I have to hold mine in a ponytail, split it in half down the middle, twist each side inwards then claw clip as it's too thick to hold otherwise. (That's also why no buns work for me at this length.)
I love sock buns too. At just under APL I usually do 2 aysmmetric ones or one huge fat one, and you can hide the ends really well at that length so it looks fully rolled too ;)
At APL you should probably be able to use forks too, I usually French twist and leave the ends poking up then fork it into place. Looks cute, takes 10 seconds to do and holds pretty well even straight silky hair.

Can't wait for APL + and buns to begin!

kitcatsmeow
July 12th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I've been doing the split bun daily because it's comfy SO I'm in the same rut lol. I'm trying to do some french braids more and I want to play around with the peacock twists as well...

Raiscake
July 12th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Check out my work hairstyles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8126) album! I have APL hair right now and I've been able to do quite a number of styles. :D

So far, I can do a Gibson tuck, French twist, cinnabun, chignon, and a peacock twist (not a fan of this one though).

Mrs. D
July 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Thank you all. I am in an exploding sock bun today. Think I need a bigger sock. Oh how I long to be able to do more. Wore a reasonable version of the cameo bun (hairstyle of the month.
Since it has been scorching hot here (about 80 degrees everyday), half ups aren't an option. :cheese:
Have a great day.
Shannon

Mrs. D
July 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Check out my work hairstyles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8126) album! I have APL hair right now and I've been able to do quite a number of styles. :D

So far, I can do a Gibson tuck, French twist, cinnabun, chignon, and a peacock twist (not a fan of this one though).

Very nice, definitly will be trying some of these.

elbow chic
July 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
French braid! ...and then tucking up the end, it can look really elegant!

yeah, that was a major favorite of mine-- I can't do it anymore and have it look all sleek, so enjoy while it lasts. lol.

And french twists, too. Mine don't work nearly as well at BSL as they did at APL.