PDA

View Full Version : Smelly scalp

Bucatini
July 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I've noticed that I have a definite funky smell to my scalp. I've posted on here before about it because I am VERY self-conscious about it. The only thing that kills the stink even temporarily is a selenium sulfide shampoo, which I find too harsh to use daily. And daily shampoos have become necessary for me to stand being connected to my own head.

Once, a couple of months ago, I tried using baby shower as dry shampoo. That's when the funky smell started. I never had it before. Do you think the baby powder is related to the stink starting, or is the timing just a coincidence?

RitaCeleste
July 11th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Once I tried to go two weeks without washing my hair to let it get oily and condition itself. My head stunk so bad and washing with shampoo just didn't get rid of it. It just wouldn't wash away. I know its horrible for hair, but I had to use dish soap to get the funk off. Luckily it didn't come back. I have a funky smell anyway, I smell like wet dog if I don't bath regularly.

Anje
July 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
What kind of baby powder, talc or cornstarch? Something might be able to metabolize cornstarch, though I'll admit that it's quite a longshot.

Have you tried rinsing with dilute vinegar? Sometimes that helps calm unhappy scalps. Also, most pathogens aren't fond of acid.

kitcatsmeow
July 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
It's Sebum. My stretched lobes get smelly like that if I wear non organic jewelry which is why I stick to organic. Emu oil helps!

DoubleCrowned
July 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
If the baby powder fed a fungus or bacteria that unbalanced your scalp, that could account for a funky smell. If it were my scalp, I'd work a cup of plain yogurt into it and leave it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing.

mysticfishtales
July 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Do you put your hair up while it is still moist? If you do try waiting for it to dry first or put it in an English braid while drying. Tea tree oil (mixed in shampoo) restores the ph balance of your scalp if it is off and has a decent fragrance.

pittsburgpam
July 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I agree with trying a dish soap. I was in the hospital for 7 days, totally out and then laying in bed with not just washed hair in the first place. My hair was so disgustingly oily that it actually felt wet and it stank. It smelled like sour milk or something like that.

Try to get the oil out of your hair and use a light conditioner on just the length.

Roscata
July 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your issue with smelly scalp. All I can say is that recently I started to do Conditioner Only (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18) washes and my hair never smelled better, they don't work for everyone, but if they work for you then you have a wide array of pretty smelling conditioners that will give you a fresh smell. If plain conditioner doesn't work (which it didn't for me) you can try to dilute it with water 1/1 to 1/5 (that worked for me although I only dilute the conditioner that goes on my scalp, I use it undiluted on my length).

I hope that helps and good luck! :D

ETA: I have greasy scalp and I can get away with doing a CO once every 3-4 days, but it did take me about 8 months to stretch out my washes.

littlenvy
July 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
If its something fairly new and you haven't had it before I would say its internal.

Vitamin B's can sometimes do it, especially in hot weather. Gelatin or other foods that are derived from by products.

I had this kind of funny smell few months ago for about two months and to this day I haven't figured out what it was. (Thought it was shortly after a coconut milk treatment)
It kind of went away on its own. But then again maybe I did something to help it along.

Did you noticed if it smells bad all the time after a certain time or is it only for few hours at certain times? Do you notice it all day long or only at a particular time?