PDA

View Full Version : Shaved Sides with long hair.

Kome
July 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
So... this is REALLY tempting. I saw some pictures today and I'm so tempted to do it. I put my hair up on the sides to check how the thickness would be... and it's really not bad at all.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4oscqN2ie1qzjqjro1_500.jpg

My biggest question though is... how will it look once I'm ready to grow the sides back OUT? Does anyone have experience with this or pictures? That's the biggest part I'm curious about. I don't want to have to cut the rest of my hair short to meet it.

P.S. This pictures is from Google. I dunno who it is.

whitestiletto
July 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I mean... it will just look like long hair over short hair. If you're ok with that, then it will be fine.

silverjen
July 11th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Growing it out will take a couple years minimum, before the layers start to blend. As long as you're good with that, cool.

ArienEllariel
July 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
My first thought was "please dear God, no!". I'm really not a fan of that look on anyone. Reminds me of when my grandfather had to get a brain operation and they shaved away part of his hair. BUT if you like that look... do what you will. :shrug:

Amber_Maiden
July 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I've actually been wanting to do that so badly!!!! But I really don't want to look too weird... because I have enough piercings and tattoos and my husbands family already thinks I'm strange. And when it was growing out I'd have to wear my hair down or I'd just look silly. I also can't help but think mohawk hair- because its basically hair that hasnt been spiked up..... and that just reminds me of mulluts (is that how you spell it?)... so.... But thats just me.

ttverdy
July 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I actually really like that look.

MissHair
July 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My close friend shaved her side. She has naturally curly hair. It does look amazing on her. The growing out part does not look weird at all, especially if you got dark hair like she did. After a while you just dont pay attention to it. Within a year its not even going to be noticable. Better to have one shaved side than a completely shaved head.

Speckla
July 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Is it shaved on both sides?

October
July 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I saw a lady at the bowling alley last night with this hair style. She was in the lane next to me, except she had stars shaved into the side as well. It looked okay, not something I'd ever do but oh well. Growing out probably wouldnt be too big of a deal.

ecologystudent
July 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
One of my friends shaved both sides. Wore it in a pony tail most of the time, but on the job, where they needed to look more feminine, wore it loose and it looked pretty normal.

Kome
July 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Is it shaved on both sides?

Yes, yes! I believe it is, and if not, I would 'cause that would just be silly. :P

My close friend shaved her side. She has naturally curly hair. It does look amazing on her. The growing out part does not look weird at all, especially if you got dark hair like she did. After a while you just dont pay attention to it. Within a year its not even going to be noticable. Better to have one shaved side than a completely shaved head.

This is soooooo helpful. Does she have any pictures? I would really love that, of it shaved and also growing out, if she has them. Would be awesome. :)

pixiedust
July 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
When I had longer hair, I shaved one side and as long as you leave the hair infront of your ear, it'll look fine growing out because you should be able to cover it up. I don't know if id do both sides, though.

1953Diygal
July 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
That picture totally summed up the mid/late '80s for me. I had a huge friend crush on a girl with that same hair. Sigh. Memories. :rolleyes:

Kome
July 11th, 2011, 09:45 PM
That picture totally summed up the mid/late '80s for me. I had a huge friend crush on a girl with that same hair. Sigh. Memories. :rolleyes:

Hehehehe. I hope they are good memories! :) I REALLY want to do it, but one of my friend threatened me pretty badly. Hahahaha. I might be in trouble if I do it. *smiles*

spidermom
July 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
People are still doing that? It was popular among my son's friends 10 and more years ago. It holds no appeal for me, but I'm sure I'm the wrong demographic.

teal
July 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I had that cut in my mid teens. It was a full undercut, so I really only had hair on the top of my head and it was shaved around the sides and back. The rest of my hair was, oh, about shoulder or armpit length. It was a bit wider than the usual mohawk, and unlike a mohawk the long hair did not extend to the nape of my neck. (I never successfully mohawked it as it was too long... that was before I learned about gelatin...)

Pros:
- Refreshingly cool during hot weather
- Easy to maintain (less hair, less time, less hassle!)
- Wear it down when you need to have a more conventional look
- "Cred" amongst your friends who don't have the cojones to try such an avant-garde hairdo :D

Cons:
- Snap-judgement from some members of the general public who don't believe that women should have "that kind of haircut". :rolleyes:
- Related to the above: Because I was a teenager and also wore baggy clothes, this haircut got me tailed by store security because they made the assumption that I was a troublemaker. YMMV, but you should probably not try this if you're sensitive to public opinion. Bottom line - people will occasionally stare.
- You need to keep up with the shaving - get an electric trimmer or make time for your stylist. It starts to look unkempt if you don't.

As for growing it out... I don't even remember what I did or how I did it. It's likely that I cut my hair shorter after letting the shaved parts grow for a bit. I did a lit of things to my hair in those years! :o

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of pictures from that time in my life. I was (and am) usually the one behind the camera, and the few that I did have got lost in a house fire. :(

Barniie
July 11th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I know someone who shaved the left quadrant of their head. it actually looks really. good. whn it tied up high, you can see it from one side, when its out, it just looks like a very deep part, and when it put in a low ponytail, you cant see it at all! i love it :)

owlathena
July 11th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I really dig this style but I dont think I could pull it off...

Kathie
July 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I've noticed this look is in and the moment. We have NZ next top model here and one of the models had half of one side shaved for her makeover. She apparently loves it. Heres a pic-

http://www.tv3.co.nz/Portals/0/AM/2011/6/9/71824/Isabel.jpg?width=300

Kosmos
July 11th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I've done this before, when I started to grow out again I just cut all my hair short to match once it got to about 2 inches.

Kome
July 11th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I had that cut in my mid teens. It was a full undercut, so I really only had hair on the top of my head and it was shaved around the sides and back. The rest of my hair was, oh, about shoulder or armpit length. It was a bit wider than the usual mohawk, and unlike a mohawk the long hair did not extend to the nape of my neck. (I never successfully mohawked it as it was too long... that was before I learned about gelatin...)

Pros:
- Refreshingly cool during hot weather
- Easy to maintain (less hair, less time, less hassle!)
- Wear it down when you need to have a more conventional look
- "Cred" amongst your friends who don't have the cojones to try such an avant-garde hairdo :D

Cons:
- Snap-judgement from some members of the general public who don't believe that women should have "that kind of haircut". :rolleyes:
- Related to the above: Because I was a teenager and also wore baggy clothes, this haircut got me tailed by store security because they made the assumption that I was a troublemaker. YMMV, but you should probably not try this if you're sensitive to public opinion. Bottom line - people will occasionally stare.
- You need to keep up with the shaving - get an electric trimmer or make time for your stylist. It starts to look unkempt if you don't.

As for growing it out... I don't even remember what I did or how I did it. It's likely that I cut my hair shorter after letting the shaved parts grow for a bit. I did a lit of things to my hair in those years! :o

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of pictures from that time in my life. I was (and am) usually the one behind the camera, and the few that I did have got lost in a house fire. :(

Thanks for this... I don't care what others think. My hair has been every color of the rainbow. I'd get more looks with pink hair I think... which I've had many times. Hehe.

Helix
July 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Some women can pull this look off. This girl has one side shaved too...of course she has so much hair that she can cover the shaved side whenever she wants so there was never any room for buyer's remorse:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HairCrush#p/u/18/Ka6IIjBdPbk

Looks great on her (those braidwaves are hot) but I don't think I'll be doing any experimenting like this anytime soon.

TheMechaGinger
July 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
A friend of mine in high school did that with her hair and it looked awesome but she got frustrated with it growing out so she just shaved her head and started over

Ermine
July 12th, 2011, 12:07 AM
If you like it, go for it! I definitely wish I had enough hair for that look. I'm on the thin side of medium thickness, so this look would make me look thinner than ever. Not good...

QueenJoey
July 12th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I'm actually starting to consider doing that! I feel like I've never done anything really cool or daring to my hair, so it's now or never. It does look pretty cool, and it could probably make the rest of my hair appear longer! Just imagine, even down, you hair has a style to it.

The only problem is that I don't know how I'd grow it out gracefully, and I'd probably get frustrated with it very soon. How did all you who've done it grow it out nicely, without the short bits sticking way out as they got longer?

pennyroyal
July 12th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I actually started a thread exactly like this months ago & i did it! It's called an "undercut" & there are some photos in my album. I have not regretted it once-i absolutley love it!!!

Here is how i wear it most often:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7701&pictureid=100988

newbeginning
July 12th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I think styles like that are interesting (and would take a lot of guts to do considering people's reactions) but I think they'd be a pain to grow out.

KajiKodomo
July 12th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I had an undercut a few years back. It was nice and helped keep my neck cool (and I didn't have to worry about those annoying nape hairs!). However, the growing out was painful!

I grew it out to about shoulder length and then cut the rest of my hair (it was an inch or two from waist) to the same length. It was just weird for me to have long hair and this layer of shoulder-length hair that wouldn't go up in an updo.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=633&pictureid=12543

It doesn't look TOO bad, but it was very annoying! :)

LunaMoon
July 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I did that in the 80's. I was a teen, so was the perfect timming. I loved.
I think if you don't need to follow some dress/hair code it is great.
If you like it, do it. :cheese:
Of course this will stop your "growing goals", but who cares, hair always grow back.

Kome
July 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Wooooooooooow, guys. Thanks for all the input. I haven't made a decision. We'll see if I want to do it in a month or so... it's a big decision. I combed my hair over and clipped the sides up to see how thin it would be and I'm surprised that it's actually not bad at all. So that's good news. :)

MissHair
July 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
This is soooooo helpful. Does she have any pictures? I would really love that, of it shaved and also growing out, if she has them. Would be awesome. :)

I haven't actually got any pictures but I can ask her when I see her. :)

Elysium
July 12th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I shave both sides of my head like the girl in the first pic, I've never tried to grow it out so I don't know how annoying that would be :p
I'd wouldn't advise anyone with thin hair to do it, you probably won't have enough hair to cover the shaved bits for work/school etc. I'm a ii/iii without the shaved bits and fringe, I'd say I'd be a *very* solid iii if all my hair was the same length :)