PDA

View Full Version : Article you may enjoy reading

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.refinery29.com/four-girls-reveal-their-beauty-secrets-the-long-hair-edition

I don't know if this link has been posted before but reading this story amused me. Basically, this story is about 4 women with "real long" hair. But reading on I find the first woman who uses extensions, and the rest truly don't have very long hair - not as long as the women on here do! So anyway, thought to share for your entertainment. :)

I hope the link works!

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'd love to introduce them to some of the heads of hair we have here! :p

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Me too! I'm kind of amazing the site never thought of LHC women!

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Lol, I wonder how they found those ladies... certainly not by googling "long hair" because that would lead them right over here!

Zesty
July 11th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, my thought was that these people don't know what long hair really is. XD It looks like I have more (thicker and just as long) hair than the second and fourth women (who have hair that's more similar to mine... I can't really compare myself to the curly girl or the woman with the extensions)! Not that their hair isn't nice, I've just been spoiled by LHC, and when I hear "women with long hair" I think Cinnamon Hair, Torrin Paige, Spidermom, Dianyla, etc. Waist length just isn't that long to me anymore. :p

chahuahuas
July 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Oh my gosh, it scares me when that chick with the extensions smiles... :uhh:

Viechen
July 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
It scares me to see the many and expensive products they use... I could not even imagine using anything past drugstore shampoo and conditioner and coconut oil... But that may just be me. I do like the look of woman number 4's hair though :)

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I think that if these women used LHC's "secrets" and advice, their hair would be amazing.

gthlvrmx
July 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Extensions like those hurt. Waist length hurt on me and only caused me horrible shedding.
And to me that is not "long hair", it is average. Once your're at hip, now we're talking about some length!!
But it is rather impressive to see someone have the guts to be walking around with such long braids, they suck to sleep with!

RitaCeleste
July 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm disappointed, their hair really isn't that long. At those lengths I could use Sauve ColorCare, shampoo, condition and go. I didn't really need oil, I didn't need to deep condition, I didn't know what co-washing was. Its only when it gets about to my waist that it needed some pampering and I color mine all the time. They don't know any secrets or their hair would be longer. :rolleyes::D:p

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM
They don't know any secrets or their hair would be longer.

Maybe they don't want longer hair... :p

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I didn't send this article in to impress people here; I knew it wouldn't. I knew people here are always amazed at what the general population considers "long". And yes, none of them really had good tips for hair, they more talked about their style.

julliams
July 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I think it's great that these women have opened their doors to share how they take care of their hair. I think each one of them has long hair and is lovely in it's own way.

Just because someone doesn't have hair that sweeps the bottom of their thighs or longer, doesn't mean it's not long and everyone has different routines that will work for some and not for others. My waist length hair is the longest of anyone I actually know well, and so my hair would be seen as long to the people around me, whilst to others it would barely make it as being defined "long".

To the OP, thanks for sharing the article. I love seeing long hair celebrated and I thought it was an interesting read.

wendy51
July 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Oh that's really beautiful my mother has the same hair, she braids it like that except she doesn't have extensions. also there is this woman longhairdontcare2011 that wear this style often *-*

chahuahuas
July 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I think it's great that these women have opened their doors to share how they take care of their hair. I think each one of them has long hair and is lovely in it's own way.

Awww, that's really sweet :blossom: Great sentiment.

And you're right, they are opening doors. The idea of people going long has got to start somewhere. I don't think the long trend is going to start suddenly with knee length hair. It takes a while to achieve length, as we have seen so well on this forum, so guess they should have a little credit for what they've achieved :)

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I like the sentiment of them starting a new movement a lot. My own mother tonight said she considers SL hair "long". Anyway, they all do have pretty hair. But I still think LHC people have the prettiest hair I know of. :D

MissManda
July 11th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I wasn't expecting the lengths common here on LHC when I read the title and first paragraph and their hair is still "long" by cultural standards. :shrug: It was still fun to read about their routines and drool over pictures. :D What I found interesting was that three of them didn't say how often they washed their hair and the fourth one washes every two or three days. :eyebrows:

Thanks for sharing!

owlathena
July 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I liked the article, beautiful hair. But I do wonder why the article chose those girls as examples of very long hair, since its not very long. LHC makes us biased I guess...

Vanilla Mint
July 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I was really disappointed that the first lady was the one with the extensions. Those braids look gorgeous.

QueenJoey
July 12th, 2011, 12:36 AM
That's considered long hair in the real, non-LHC world? What has LHC done to me?! A few months ago, I'd have been amazed at the amazing length those girls had. But now, I'm just thinking, "really?"

Oh man, if only they got a look out our people's truly long and gorgeous heads of hair. ;) They'd just die of the shock and envy.

Alaia
July 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM
My favourite was the one with the braids. I know it's not her natural hair, but it was fabulous.

The others? Long? Pffft!!! :tongue:

UltraBella
July 12th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I liked the article, beautiful hair. But I do wonder why the article chose those girls as examples of very long hair, since its not very long. LHC makes us biased I guess...

My guess would be that they chose women who the average reader may be interested in or relate too, or having hair they may want to aspire too. I will be perfectly honest, I don't know of any women in real life who want super LHC lengths of hair and I think if they chose women with hair too long, readers would not be as interested. Even though we love long hair here at LHC, many people find it to be plain and boring. By featuring women with average "long" hair, they appeal to more readers.

archel
July 12th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Ultrabella, ain't nobody gonna look at your hair and think "plain and boring." They may thing you're a hair model, though!

SC
July 12th, 2011, 01:57 AM
My favourite was the one with the braids. I know it's not her natural hair, but it was fabulous.

The others? Long? Pffft!!! :tongue:

Yeah, they don't look so long for people who've been on LHC and seen it all, the lengths I mean. Maybe they just thought that it would be out of reach for a normal person if they would have had article about women with almost knee length hair. Article has hair length that everyone can surely get if they have enough patience! :grin:

pink.sara
July 12th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Wow, that's disappointing! Only girl 3 with the natural curls had what I would call enviable hair. Number 1's extensions will leave her bald if she keeps that up too!
Poor show on the longhair front.

freckles
July 12th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I think they all have beautiful hair. I was sad to realise the first girl is the one with the extensions though, because hers was by far the most STUNNING!

Raiscake
July 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Their hair didn't look long to me, but they're beautiful nonetheless. I liked the photography. :D

mrs_coffee
July 12th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Wow, I love those braids! Aren't those extensions heavy? I would think they'd give her a headache from the weight of them pulling on her natural hair, but they must not. Either way, they're beautiful.

It's interesting to read about other people's hair and their routines, which are infinitely more product-oriented and more expensive than what I've learned from the gurus here.

jujube
July 12th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I've seen longer, but I like their hair. For most adult women, this is long hair. In fact, I'd take any of these lengths anytime.

Night_Kitten
July 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Even after the OP's warning I was expecting hair in the BSL-waist range of lengths... Maybe I'm just spoiled (I'm on LHC after all ;) )
Their hair is beautiful nontheless, I especially liked the two braids style of the student (the second girl), looked really cute :)
And it definitely is a step in the right direction! (And there's even a comment mentioning the LHC! :D )

Nae
July 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Well, to my LHC trained eye they don't look "long" but it is encouraging to this "shorty" to realize people in general are going to think my hair is long well before I do. Cool.

racrane
July 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I like the first girl, too. Does anyone know of people here with *real* hair like that? I don't know anyone off the top of my head.

Bianca
July 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
May not be considered that long here, but its great to see a positive article about long hair imo :)

lacefrost
July 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I think those girls are all fashion bloggers and that's how they got picked. The girl with the super curly hair looked really familiar and I'm pretty sure she's a blogger.

I like the first girl, too. Does anyone know of people here with *real* hair like that? I don't know anyone off the top of my head.

I saw a woman with dreads that long. She let me touch them and they were so soft!

racrane
July 12th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Lacefrost: That's really cool. I've never seen real dreads that long!

patienceneeded
July 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
There was a Dad at my daughter's preschool who had hip-length dreads, all natural. They were STUNNING. We left for summer vacation and when we came back and I saw the gentleman again, he had shaved them all off! I was so bummed...

patienceneeded
July 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I found the article interesting, thanks for sharing. It's a nice reminder that the "real" world, or at least most of the people we come across in our daily lives would consider APL-BSL hair to be LONG. I find it helps me to stick with my long-hair goals, to know that to most people my 1" shy of BSL hair would be long. I thought they all had pretty hair, even the extensions.

didrash
July 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I will dare and say that I really liked the first lady's extensions. Maybe harmful to her natural hair but I thought these past hip braids looked awesome!

missmagoo
July 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I also thought it was cool that the last two women are 30 and 33- even though I still feel young, I definitely am starting to feel the pressure to not have such long hair (no my hair isn't super long, but in real life most people consider it to be so), so it's nice to see these women still rocking longer hair

lacefrost
July 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Lacefrost: That's really cool. I've never seen real dreads that long!

Dude, I pretty much thudded in real life! But I was at work. I saw a woman with wurly ankle length hair come in too. I was like o.O. It was so beautiful! I couldn't believe she wasn't worried about letting her hair down in the mall. She was awesome :)

C.H.
July 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
What I liked about the article was that each of the girls mentioned what a fun and versatile accessory they felt their long hair is. So often people see long hair as if not conservative and boring, then at least lacking the style of some uber-styled shorter cut. But these women really showed otherwise and you can tell they like to have fun with it. Which I think could definitely open some minds.

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I loved the girl with the extensions, she really rocks them. :D I just hope they don't give her traction alopecia further down the line - they can't be light making such thick Heidi braids like those!

JaneinMarch
July 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM

Longhairdontcare2011 on youtube wears her own hair in waist-length braids.
There's a vid of her from about a month ago where she curls them with curlformers.

Phiona
July 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Thank You : )