PDA

View Full Version : how to talk to hairdressers

archel
July 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
So, if I just go in and tell a hair dresser that I want some "face framing bits" to leave out and around my face when I do an updo, are they going to go crazy chopping the heck out of my hair? How do I talk to someone and explain I do not want some trendy hair cut, just something minor?

archel
July 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
There's an adorable European gal on the board here and she does YT tutorials - she has the kind of thing I'm talking about, long fringe and side pieces and she leaves them out when she does updoes. It frames her face quite nicely. My face is just too round to wear it slicked back like I have been...anyway, anyone know who I'm talking about? I could take in her photo maybe.

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I don't know what to say, except I bring pictures and try to say "this is what I want: ..." in about 10 different ways. It annoys my hairstylist but it definitely gets my point across. When I had waist length I would actually bring a ruler to say "This is how much I want cut off, any more and I will refuse to pay". Funny how they paid close attention to how they cut then.

spidermom
July 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
What I did (several years ago) was separate out the amount of hair that I wanted to devote to fringe and braided the rest back. Then I asked my stylist to use only that amount of hair to create some face-framing fringe that would soften my up-do.

Eventually I trusted her, and she ran a blending line from the longest part of my fringe to the hem. It did give better flow.

Bene
July 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
"You cut more than half an inch and I'll cut YOU :bigeyes:"

shikara
July 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I second spidermom, as well as bringing a picture if you have one. Talk with her/him and make sure you are both clear about what she is going to do. Once they are cut, you can continue to keep them trimmed on your own. Bangs, to me, seem to be pretty easy to work with styling, but if I were to go to a stylist (which I won't) I'd be sure to say DON'T YOU DARE CUT THEM TOO SHORT!! Happened before and it ain't gonna happen again:eyebrows:

BeatlesFanGirl
July 12th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Pictures? Telling? Once I failed in doing that. I took a pic with me, and explained that The shorterst layer should be below my shoulder... Of course the shortest layer was shorter than that... Basically I didnt get what I wanted, never went back to her of course.

Slinks
July 12th, 2011, 02:45 AM
"You cut more than half an inch and I'll cut YOU :bigeyes:"
lol ... a bit harsh, you think ;) :cheese:too funny tho ..

Alaia
July 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Take a picture and be prepared to be firm about where they cut your hair. If you see them go for something that's not right or too short, stop them and explain.

A good stylist should follow your directions but alas we hear so many horror stories.

newbeginning
July 12th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I'll echo those that say bring a picture. Also discuss exactly what you want (if your inspiration style suits your hair texture/thickness, how much styling is involved, how much you want cut off, etc.). I do all these things and it seems to work for me.

CarpeDM
July 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I don't know what to say, except I bring pictures and try to say "this is what I want: ..." in about 10 different ways. It annoys my hairstylist but it definitely gets my point across. When I had waist length I would actually bring a ruler to say "This is how much I want cut off, any more and I will refuse to pay". Funny how they paid close attention to how they cut then.

OOO I like that part about refusing to pay if they cut more, maybe I should try that!