PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to grow from chin to shoulder length??

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
How long do u think it would take to grow from chin to shoulder?

nazzooyzo
July 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
im currently between these lengths. its taking ages! i got to chin in march then trimmed in april back to chin and now am probably an inch from shoulder i guess. from the back i think i actually am shoulder but i wont say i am til my front hair is there.

October
July 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I would think about 8 months to a year. Guess it depends on how long your neck is. Total guess though. I've grown from chin to shoulder - but didn't keep track of how long it took.

pink.sara
July 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I had a POB cut in on the last day of June 2010 to get rid of damage. I was at shoulder by December.
And my growth is slow at under 1 inch per month.
I have only been slightly trimming the front edges as my POB was just chin in front and shaved at the back. I'm now 1 year in with no trims apart from that and a few inches shy of APL. (I'll be there by Xmas hopefully and I'm considering the MN bandwagon again!)
So 6 months chin to shoulder, then it looks like 1 year shoulder to APL. :)

GoddessLocks
July 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I think it took me about 6 months, but it all depends.

QueenJoey
July 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
When I had a chin length bob, I reached shoulder in about 6 or 7 months. And my hair grows very slowly.

KittyLost
July 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
It took me from January to September and the ends of my hair just curled slightly under my chin like a little flip. That is with a layered cut then a trim to get rid of those same layers inbetween growing.

So about 9months from Jaw to Shoulder.

MonikaHa
July 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Takes FOREVER! LOL. Well, to me it took about 8 months.

~Jenny^-^~
July 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM
My hair was actually more like jaw length :P, now it touches my collarbone. That took me about a year, I have a fairly long neck though... Hope this helped! :) Good luck growing!!

Alias
July 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
My friend took year and a half to get from chin to somewhere between APL and BSL without any trimming (and yet her hair is still healthy). I've never been at that length but because of her I know how irritating can be, especially for someone who's aiming for long hair. So, don't lose your patience, take a good care of your hair and good luck growing. :)

TinaDenali
July 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
When I started growing, my hair was at chin length and it took me 2 years to get to waist - so probably about 5-6 months to get to shoulder for me.

spidermom
July 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM
6-8 months? ymmv

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
It took me about 6 months from exact chin to shoulder.

mrs_coffee
July 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I'm at shoulder now. It's taken me about 4 months to get here from chin length.

ETA: I lied, it was 5 months. I went back and checked my progress pictures.

utdesertrunner
July 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM
It look me about 10 months. The hardest stage in my opinion.

Mesmerise
July 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
It is a frustrating stage... but I'd say about 5 to 6 months (at least for me). It's been awhile since I did it... and I suppose it depends on whether you've got waves in your hair too! Last time I had shoulder length hair it sat above my shoulders because of the waves!! Fortunately it was long enough to pull back so I never had to look at it!

SarahKayfa
July 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have a really long neck & fast growing hair. And it took me the better part of a year to get to the shoulder, say 10 months?

MandyBeth
July 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Took me 16 months to get from jaw to shoulder with a lot of trims to kill the mullet and get full shoulder. But that was clearing my trap muscles, which took ages. Then I whacked 4 inches off.

Hotrox
July 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
took me about 9 months, apparantly I have a freakishly long neck :p

Bellona
July 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
about 5 months for me.

cheetahfast
July 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM
It took about 5 months for me, probably a bit less. I did trimed quite a bit during the growing process.

Anje
July 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Probably depends on how long your neck is. Most people, I'd say about 6 months, give or take.

Carolyn
July 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I was in the 9th grade the last time I did that but I know it didn't take long. I have a super short neck. All my other body mile markers are long and spaced out. With my short neck and average growth rate it should only take about 4-5 months to get to the top of my shoulders.

buttercupmcgee
July 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Check out my album for visuals--went from mid neck to collarbone in 5 months.

SC
July 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I wish that mine would be at shoulder length by the beginning of 2012. I try to take good care of it, minimize all the trims, eat healthy & vitamins for hair, hopefully it helps.

InTheCity
July 12th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think it took me about 6 months, but it all depends.

I love your siggy pic hair! I thought I wanted BSL hair but it looked scraggly there and I went for a cut. *^%^& cut layers as short as my ears! But anyway, looking at your pic, I think that's my new goal. Weird, right?

Sadly, as a 2 with barely ii thickness, BSL did not look good.

Also, I think the range in answers to this question has to do what what we actually call shoulder length. My longest layers touch the tops of my shoulders but my hair as a whole looks more like chin than shoulder. In 6 months I'll still be calling it shoulder I'm sure.

mulletesque
July 12th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I had my shaggy layers (from growing out a pixie) trimmed straight across the back around March I think, right at the lowest point of my hairline, which on me is chin length. It's starting to flirt with my shoulders now, but it's still at "falls inside my collar" length. Probably not even "can I call this shoulder length" yet, but it is starting to seem close!

Nae
July 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM
6 months here.

HintOfMint
July 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM
My bob took about 5 or 6 months to grow to shoulder. I don't have the longest neck though.

duckhugger
July 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm glad to hear it doesn't take that long to grow out! I should be at shoulder length by march of next year :D

pixiestar
July 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I'd say about 6 months as well:)

vanillabones
July 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Over 6 months for me.... I will have been trying to get there since Feb/March... still not even really close to shoulder... I'm hoping it won't take more than a year but I'm starting to doubt that.

jojo
July 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
It took me 12 months from cropped to the head to shoulder and I have a giraffe neck.

cocolady
July 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
It took me 0 days since I have almost no neck.:lol:
But really, it depends on the lenght of your neck I think.

jaquelines
July 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
it took me 6 months but no trimming. if your hair grows normally ( 1cm/month) than that will be around 6 cm from your chin to the shoulders. of course depending how fast your hair grows and how long your neck is..

ladylovecraft
July 14th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hmm... I'm not sure... 6-8 months? I started at a pixie in July 2009 and now am at BSL... Typically each stage takes about a year (I expect I'll FINALLY be at waist by next summer) but that stage feels so long because it's so frustrating. Things seem to go faster once you get closer to your goal.

mayoung04
October 26th, 2019, 07:41 AM
It only took me 4 months but my hair grows quick

Dark40
October 27th, 2019, 10:34 AM
I remember when I had a chin length bob it took me only 3 months to get to shoulder length. My hair grows very fast every month. It grows 1/2 inch a month.

Natalina
October 27th, 2019, 11:25 AM
About 4-6 months, I had a layered bob, and I was bleaching and dyeing the heck out of it... After it got to shoulder though it slowed down, mostly due to the breakage (and me completely neglecting it's health).

Begemot
October 27th, 2019, 12:46 PM
I have a long long neck, being tall and all, so I would say that I'd need a little more than six months to get from neck to solid shoulder length. Maybe 7-8 months.

gustavonut
October 27th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Too long. I am currently chin length and ready to be back to longer lengths

SleepyTangles
October 27th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Too long, I agree with gustavonut. I thought that by September my hair would be grazing my shoulders, but it´s not: it ALMOST seems shorter :grnbiggri
The only clue that is growing is the bangs getting into my eyes periodically and getting trimmed.
I blame the wave for length retention. I also blame the fact that my hair, when is above shoulder, is basically immune to gravity: it just expands in width, instead of lenght.
I will suffer in silence until Christmas. Then I hope to see some progress :pray:
I´m growing out from a pixie, so the hemline is hella uneven. I´m just itching to cut the extra bits poking out, but when I think of sacrificing one or two months of growth... :run:

AmaryllisRed
October 27th, 2019, 05:16 PM
2-3 months. I must have a short neck. :)

Stray_mind
October 29th, 2019, 01:34 AM
It depends on your personal hair growth rate. For me it lasted 6 or 7 months i think.

Lady Stardust
October 29th, 2019, 05:12 AM
It took me about 9 months from chin to collarbone length, with small trims. I’ve got a long neck :)

0xalis
July 7th, 2020, 03:25 PM
I have a long neck (at least for my body and I'm ~5'3.3") and the back of my hair was chin back in April,
Now it's at the Very bottom of my neck. Some people call that the start of shoulder length,
but I wait for my ends to brush my "actual" shoulders before calling it.
My hair also grows the average half an inch a month, I'm really baffled by the people saying that it takes almost a year to get from chin to shoulder! I suppose I could be the case if you're trimming a lot, I'm not trimming at all until necessary.
I think I will be solid shoulder by September, so if that's the case it will have taken me 5 months.
Collarbone will take until at least December I think, so that's 8 months altogether.

I think a lot of it has to do with how long your neck is, and then where you start considering it shoulder.
And then of course your genetically determined growth rate, natural texture, and how you care for your hair.

unheardletters
July 7th, 2020, 05:12 PM
It took me 16 months to go from chin to shoulder length with no trims. But my hair grows a bit slower than average (5” per year). My neck is long.

FelishNavidad
July 7th, 2020, 06:42 PM
It's absolutely dragging for me. I'm just about to hit chin length with my front pieces and I hit shoulder with the back pieces. But the stylist added layers last time when I asked for just a trim so now I'm stuck with all these short bits that I'll have to trim out and lose a lot of length for. shudder:

CuteCrow
July 7th, 2020, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure how long it took me from ching length to SL but from bottom of the neck to shoulder it was 5 months, they are about 4cm (~2.5") apart on me. It checks out as I have slower growth than average. So, from chin to SL it would probably take me about 10 months.

strawberryfine
July 5th, 2021, 03:45 PM
I'm SO glad to find others in the same boat, not that I'm happy ANYONE else is coping with the annoyance. Just glad I have company. Misery loves company! 🤣
I'm growing from almost-chin to collar bone. I'm very petite in height so the distance between is shorter. I'm hoping to be at shoulder-collar bone by my birthday in January.
Hoping to be able to do SOME updos by collar bone.
Any advice? How long did your hair have to get before you could do any updos? And what kind?
TIA

TheLuckyLurker
July 5th, 2021, 07:09 PM
Guess I belong here. The first time I did a huge chop myself it went fine. Then I got cocky, and when I tried a trim at the end of May I effed up real bad and now it's choppy, uneven chin-length bob. I'm waiting until it's solidly at shoulder before I even try fixing it.

LilacOrchid
July 10th, 2021, 08:51 AM
Took me 5 months without trims.

Kathie
July 10th, 2021, 06:47 PM
Hoping to be able to do SOME updos by collar bone.
Any advice? How long did your hair have to get before you could do any updos? And what kind?
TIA

I'm able to do a peacock twist between chin and shoulder length- I use some hidden spin-pins for extra grip.

At collar bone I can so a cinna-bun, flipped bun, and a peacock twist that doesn't need reinforcing. The secrete with a cinna-bun at shorter lengths is less twisting of the length.

I've just posted a link to the above shoulder peacock twist on the "I made a hair video" thread. It should link to my other tutorials on YouTube if you are interested.

Kathie
July 10th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Guess I belong here. The first time I did a huge chop myself it went fine. Then I got cocky, and when I tried a trim at the end of May I effed up real bad and now it's choppy, uneven chin-length bob. I'm waiting until it's solidly at shoulder before I even try fixing it.

A self haircut at shorter lengths is tough! Even hairdressers can have difficulty with a bob... its such a precision haircut because at that length everything shows.