PDA

View Full Version : Hat friendly updos?

neko_kawaii
July 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I live in the desert and wear a wide brimmed hat almost every time I go outside. I had my hair in a low bun this morning and went to put on my hat to walk to the library but even with the bun as low as I could put it, I couldn't get the hat on my head. On my way back from the library I stopped into my favorite dress shop to check out an amazing wide brimmed hat (turned out much too wide and floppy for everyday use, too bad I don't have a beach near by) and was chatting the the proprietor about hats and updos and she plucked a crownless hat (a round brim and band but nothing covering the top of the head) off a shelf and plopped it on my head.

So my question is two fold. What do you do with your hair when you want to wear a hat? And, does anyone have experience with a crownless hat and updos?

Intransigentia
July 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM
When I want to wear a hat, mostly I'll just have my hair in a plain braid that doesn't add volume to my head. I've never had a crownless hat, but I've been mentally designing a hat that discreetly expands in the back so it would fit with or without a bun. Nothing has come into physical existence so far, though.

Anje
July 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I usually wear a brimmed hat outside these days. My go-to bun is an Infinity bun at the nape. It's stretched horizontally instead of being round, and so takes up a bit less vertical space.

kme81
July 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have a similar problem, I wear a baseball cap for tennis but I don't like wearing a ponytail, so I need a do that will hold up to a high action sport, and I would rather it did not lay on my neck either. I will be watching this thread!

karenpetal
July 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Under a hat french or english braid works best for me !! want to hear from more people here

JuliaDancer
July 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I do an English braid, pigtail braids, or I'll criss cross pigtail braids and pin them in a low infinity bun. I love wearing hats, but styling is always tricky. Vintage hats are nice because a lot of them are more for the top of the head, leaving room for buns and styling at the back. Sun hats don't really work that way though...

khan
July 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I've been struggling with this for years. I made a denim hat from a tutorial at Cut Out + Keep that can be folded up to allow space for a bun. Not a summer option. I've been thinking of buying larger hats. I usually buy a small. Next time I buy a hat I'm going to try one that fits over the bun. That way I can buy some pretty hat pins to secure it.

feb26
July 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I'd love to hear some bun ideas as I wear a wool-like beret in the winter and buns do not work (the top half sticks up under the cap) and sticks/claws do the same. I am gonna play with half wraps but ideas other than braids would be greatly appreciated.

Anje
July 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
In the winter I just wear fewer hairstick buns, securing them with pins instead. Then I pull my hat all the way to the nape of my neck. Too cold to do it any other way.

lindaton
July 11th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I wear a high bun and then put on my crownless hat when mowing. I believe someone on here posted the crownless hat a while back. I bought it from Amazon.

neko_kawaii
July 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Anje, thank you for the Infinity Bun suggestion! My hair is just long enough for that updo (I secured the ends with a pin because they were determined to slip out) and I was indeed able to put my hat on! I even got my husband to take a picture before my son noticed that it was secured with one of his chopsticks and pulled it out saying, "Mine! Put in mine hair."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8248&pictureid=107596

Sewas
July 11th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I live in Southern Arizona and really need a hat. I have actually sun-burned the top of my head where my hair is the thinnest. I usually just wear a single braid with a floppy hat. I also have the added problem of having a bigger head than most women. I sometimes just take my walks with an umbrella but they are such a hassle. They get lost, don't fit in my purse, and when it is gusty or windy...forget it. I am looking forward to more ideas from everyone. Thanks.