PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your hair after washing?

Tehillim408
July 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
There's probably a thread about this already, but....

What do you do with your hair after washing it? How do you let it dry?

Do you put it up in a bun? A braid? Or maybe you just leave it down until it's completely dry?

What I usually do is let it air dry until damp, and then french braid it. I get the most amazing waves and texture afterwards!

Copasetic
July 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
On a normal day, I shower in the morning, wash my hair, and then throw it up in a messy bun. If I don't have anywhere to go, then I let it air dry, or maybe blow dry it some so I can wear it down late.

gracenotes
July 11th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I shower in the evening. If there's enough time between showering and bedtime, I let it airdry loose, then brush it and braid it for bed. If I shower right before bed, it goes in a messy cinnabun right on top of my head.

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
After it is washed (I detangle in the shower), I put the detangled hair in a towel, and pin the towel around my head for 10 minutes.

Then I remove the towel, carefully check for any tangles that I might have missed, then proceed to airdry my hair.

I bend the waist and bring all my hair in front of me, like a curtain. I have a special "fanning" technique that I've been using for decades that dries my moderately thick, 42" inch hair in 20 minutes outdoors..or 45 minutes indoors (standing 4 feet from a portable heater).

When drying is completed, I loosely braid it and pin it on top of my head with 9 3 inch crimped hairpins.

JuliaDancer
July 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I shower in the morning, but I tend to wake up kind of late, so I'm always rushing (have to be at work by 8). My hair is hip length, so I rarely leave it down for work. On my shower days, I'll let it drip dry while I'm getting dressed, then while it's still very damp, I'll put it in either a single braid or pigtail braids. They drip on me, but it stops by the time I get to work. If I try to bun it that wet, it stays wet all day. I can bun if I've had time to air dry and it's just a little damp, but that's usually weekends. Now that it's hit 90 degrees, I've been showering every other day, so I'm very drippy on my way to work...

Arrow
July 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'll probably get egged and floured for this, but I towel dry and then blow-dry, usually because I wash before going to bed and can't go to bed with wet hair. I don't know how to go on without my hairdryer. :0(

Toiréasa
July 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I wash in the evening finger comb,air dry till my hair is damp them put up in a messy bun.

Carolyn
July 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM
If I have time I let it air dry, sometimes combing a few times during the drying process to get it straighter. If I don't have time for that, I do some kind of a bun. It will likely be a cinnamon bun, LWB, or a beebutt bun. I try to avoid braiding while damp as I don't like (really hate) the way my hair looks with braid waves. Once in a while I'll use my In Styler for fun.

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'll probably get egged and floured for this, but I towel dry and then blow-dry, usually because I wash before going to bed and can't go to bed with wet hair. I don't know how to go on without my hairdryer. :0(

*throws rotten tomatoes at Arrow*

I'm just kidding. To each their own.

I like to leave mine down to dry, or in a cotton T-shirt. Then I'll usually put it in a bun.

nazzooyzo
July 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
recently ive been good and wrap my hair in a towel, then after 10=15 mins shake it about and airdry. every now and again i blow dry on medium til my hair is a tiny bit wet

Quezie
July 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I put it in a towel, then really just let it down and wait for it to airdry.
I've learned that dealing with my hair when it's wet is a HORRIBLE idea, so I don't detangle at all until it's dry. I'm not sure why, but my hair is impossible to deal with when it's wet, tangles 10x more than when it's dry.

amaiaisabella
July 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
My hair is at a weird length right now (juuuuust touching shoulder) so it doesn't dry nice if I put it up when wet- at least when it's in a bun or braid. Haven't tested a French twist as of yet. When it was longer, I used to put it in a lazy wrap bun, and that was great for waves and non-bendy ends :)

feb26
July 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I airdry it loose; in the winter I'll sit in front of the fireplace and let the heat dry it abit (it's better than a hair dryer I figure as is less concentrated heat) and if still damp at bedtime, i braid it loosely

gthlvrmx
July 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Afterwards, i take a walk down the neighborhood to let my hair air dry. Once it is dry, i put it right back up :)

Zesty
July 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I blot dry with a towel, then cover my hair (hanging down in a normal position; I'm no good at towel turbans) in a towel while I do other after-shower things. Then I separate my wet tentacles of hair, put a towel around my shoulders, and finger comb as it dries. I don't like to do anything much with my hair while it's damp, but if I have to go out before it's dry, I usually just do a plain English braid, and then take it down again when I'm settled elsewhere and continue finger combing, etc. as usual.

lady_hero
July 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I usually shower in the late afternoon or evening. After I wash my hair, I towel dry for about 30 minutes, then I very lightly oil the ends with coconut oil, spray with a leave-in conditioner, and finally use a couple of pumps of Aveda's Phomollient on my roots. Then I blow dry on warm for a few minutes and finish on cool. Afterwards, I throw on a head band and leave it to set up. My fine hair needs blow drying and products to look presentable ;-)

Amber_Maiden
July 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
wring water out of it... wrap in tshirt.... either put up right away or let air dry until half dry and then brush it

ttverdy
July 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I let mine airdry completely, or pin half up and let airdry

Vani1902
July 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I put some coconut oil on and then I let it air dry. Afterwards, I will either bun or braid it.

Fairlight63
July 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I get out of the shower & blot it with a towel, then wrap it up in a turbie towel for a few min. Take off the towel put the sides up in a half-up to get it out of my face (I HATE hair in my face)
split the back into 2 and bring to the front & twist a little to get some curl in it instead of frizz, then leave it alone until dry.
Before going to bed comb & put in a braid.

pineconejg
July 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I squeeze out the water and put it in an upside-down Turbie Twist. After I get dressed, I let it down, brush it gently, put a little coconut oil on the ends, and brush again. If I have time, I let it dry down, and brush it a few times as it is drying to control the fuzzies. If not, I throw it up in a cinnamon bun with spin pins. I can't braid it when it is wet, I have to let it dry for at least 30 minutes before I can style in any other way without serious tangles.

ericthegreat
July 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
That depends on two very important main factors, mainly the weather outside and how I plan on wearing my hair. When its extremely hot like it is right now, I will let my freshly COed hair completely air-dry. In the summer, even with my length and thickness, my hair can dry within 3 hours. In normal room temperature, it takes around 4 to 5 hours for it to fully air-dry. However, in the colder seasons like early spring, autumn, and especially during the winter I need to blow-dry at least partially or I'd be left shivering under a heavy coat of freezing wet hair.

If I have somewhere nice to go out to, I will usually have it heat-styled after its been washed. I will get it blown out and flat-ironed perfectly straight, I will proudly admit that I love the look of my heat-styled hair so much more than my air-dried hair, when flat-ironed my hair gets that super shiny finish that I really love.

whitestiletto
July 11th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I shower at night before bed.

I wrap my tresses in a $500 bamboo and eucalyptus fiber towel for a few minutes, then flip my head upside down and apply only the purest and environmentally friendliest leave-in conditioner made of unicorn spit and shea, scrunching it to encourage the curls to emerge as they are quite timid and afraid of my roommate's flat iron. I then lay down to sleep on my baleen-fiber pillow, and have my roommate put the chains on so I can't toss around in my sleep and disturb the curl pattern as it is forming. Only then will my hair look good the next day. :thumbsup:

RitaCeleste
July 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I can't decide what to do with mine. I brush threw it while its wet and its a real pain to do the top wet, it likes to try and tangle when I try to get it parted and sorted out. If I leave it alone while its drying it has more waves. Some strands are straighter and fuzzier than others and it looks windblown. Then if I brush after its dry, the wavy ends get frizzy, I oil it, I run back to the bathroom, part it down the middle and dip the sides in the sink and wet them again. This time I refrain from brushing it and it hangs better. I haven't figured out what to do with my wet hair to get better looking dry hair. Do I want the curlier windblown look with some straighter bits mixed in or the less curly, more orderly but fuzzy look???

Lostsoule77
July 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I've gotten down to only washing my hair once a week. :) I tend to do this on the weekend so I have more time. I usually apply leave in conditioner, finger comb, & allow to airdry before I style. If I have somewhere to be then I just put it up wet. It'll usually still be damp at the end of the day, but I just take it down and let it dry before putting in my nighttime braid.

Seeshami
July 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I wait patiently till it's mostly dry and then braid it before I go to sleep.

mysticfishtales
July 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I let it dry loose until it's barely damp then put it in pin curls. My hair is very unruly if let to dry on its own. I look like one of those Chia Pets.

shikara
July 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I've recently started holding it together with my hand but in front of a fan on slow speed. I really like doing it this way - it dries much quicker. Once done, I comb it gently with a wide tooth after I've gone through it with my fingers, and up it goes into a twisted chignon.

Keller1128
July 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I shower in the evenings after work. After a shower, I'll leave my hair in a towel for a few minutes, then detangle with a wide-toothed comb. Depending on my mood I'll let it air dry or bun it straight away. I wear it up for work the next day so I find it looks better later if I bun it while it's still wet.

Svart
July 14th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I wash my hair in the morning. After getting rid of excess water (by gently squeezing it off and then towel drying for a few minutes) I secure my hair with an alice band and then go fix a breakfast. By the time I finish it they're air-dried (or almost so if it's a really humid day).
I detangle them when dried and then braid.

trillcat
July 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM

I wrap my tresses in a $500 bamboo and eucalyptus fiber towel for a few minutes, then flip my head upside down and apply only the purest and environmentally friendliest leave-in conditioner made of unicorn spit and shea, scrunching it to encourage the curls to emerge as they are quite timid and afraid of my roommate's flat iron. I then lay down to sleep on my baleen-fiber pillow, and have my roommate put the chains on so I can't toss around in my sleep and disturb the curl pattern as it is forming. Only then will my hair look good the next day. :thumbsup:
What brand of unicorn spit and shea do you use? :p

Monsterkitti
July 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I loosely wrap my hair in a towel for maybe 10mins then add coconut oil / aloe to the ends and then it goes straight up wet into a bun, usually a nautilus or a cinnabun.

I try to take it down and redo the bun a couple of times to help it dry out or the ends will be damp for days :)

Alias
July 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM
First, I wrap a turban with a towel and wear it that way until it's half dried. Then spray it with Express Repair hair conditioner with proteins and UV-protection and leave it air dry.

Signe
July 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I gently squeeze it out after the shower and let it air dry without touching it much...since I only wash once a week or so, I try to do it when I have time to leave it down and let it do its thing.

Arianoor
July 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm glad I read this thread! I've been here only a short time and have been struggling with figuring out how to balance the needs of my hair and my profound inability to get up in the morning even a second before I actually HAVE to to get to work on time. *sigh* I'm going to try a few of these things and see if I can make it work. Thanks!

wvgemini
July 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm headed to work, I let it dry a bit, add some leave-in and then French braid or bun it. If it's on the weekend I will either scrunch a bit with some leave-in and let the waves and curls take over or blow dry. Depends on my mood.

SC
July 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I just have it down and let it air dry. If I keep it up for long time with a turban it gets tangled easier.

Oldfashioned
July 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I wrap my hair in a towel (end up with a funny looking turban) while I get dressed and then either cinnabun it or french braid. Very rarely leave it down to dry because it has so much body it poofs with waves even if I don't touch it. Going to try a bit of coconut oil on the ends while still damp and see if it works. Wish me luck! :)

cheetahfast
July 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I wrap mine in a towel and after I take it out spray some tea into. Then I let it air dry and while it's still a bit damp either braid it or bun it.

RedStripe
July 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I put a tiny bit of oil on it, then just leave it down to air dry. Sometimes it starts to annoy me when it's about half-dry, so then I put it in a braid.

GoatLady
July 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I have to leave mine down until it is dry. If I put it in a bun, when wet, when I take it down it's still wet. :p

I gently comb it out and pull back my face framing front sections and secure to the back with a small claw clip. This keeps those out of my way until my hair dries and I can decide what I'd like to do with it that day.

carmenvanessa
July 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I started using some 'curly girl method' tips and it has really improved my hair.
I use a wide toothed comb in the shower and then squeeze out the water. I turn upside down to blot/scrunch with a tshirt. I let it air dry for about an hour without touching it. I sleep with it loose on a silk pillowcase. In the morning I have awesome curls! The drippies down my back are not as annoying as I thought they would be :D

Olafwa
July 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I keep it down and let it air dry. I only ever braid it if I want waves. I never put it into a bun unless I have to go somewhere. Otherwise I just let it dry when it wants to. I will put my hand in my scalp and shake it around to let the air in, but thats about it. (I don't even own a blow drier.)

EmiliaF
July 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I have it in a towel for 5-10 minutes, put some coconut oil in the length, french braid, put more coconut oil on the braid, tuck the braid and sleep. My hair needs its beauty-sleep :D

swetiepeti
July 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Can I just say ditto? The only other thing I do is put a drop of oil in my hands and distribute it to the bottom couple inches while wet.

>>Quezie

I put it in a towel, then really just let it down and wait for it to airdry.

I've learned that dealing with my hair when it's wet is a HORRIBLE idea, so I don't detangle at all until it's dry. I'm not sure why, but my hair is impossible to deal with when it's wet, tangles 10x more than when it's dry<<

turquoisebud
July 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Sometimes I will let it mostly dry, comb it and then bun it if I want it to be straighter, but if I want it to be wavy I braid it when damp and sleep on it. It all depends on the style I want - straight or wavy. :)

faithsdaisy421
July 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM

OMG... I just laughed so hard at my OWN ignorance. I started reading this and was like who in the world spent $500 on a towel. Oh wait... :rolleyes:. I'm a dork.

JellyBene
July 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I just let my hair air dry after finger combing it. It is very straight so it really doesn't matter what I do to it while it dries and doing nothing causes the least damage so I opt for that route.

Jing
July 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I comb it and blow dry until almost dry, then leave the rest to the air. If I don't blow dry, I get beach hair until next time I wash it (neither combing nor brushing helps - it's really frustrating). I don't mind beach hair as such, but it's in no way a good look for me.

kme81
July 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
When I get out of the shower I put my hair in my own version of a towel turban, otherwise I will leave a water trail everywhere I go! Then I take the towel off after about 10-15 minutes.
I let my hair airdry down because I like having it dry straight, I also comb it when it is still slightly damp.

Phiona
July 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
First i put it in a towel while I wash my comb and brush,then I detangle with a wide tooth comb, after that i go sit out in the sun to let it dry. then I brush it to restore some of the natural oil

SoulOfTheSea
July 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I sometimes put some aloe vera gel on my roots so that they dry flatter and smoother, and then don't touch my hair at all and let it airdry naturally. because it's so poofy, i usually like to clip it half up on wash days as it's drying.

Ligeia_13
July 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I wrap it up in a towel for a few minutes, then take it out and comb and then leave it to dry on its own.

beccababesx
July 18th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I flip my hair over and gently squeeze out some water, then wrap it in a turban while I dry off my body, and dress. Then I take it out and add my leave ins - coconut oil and Aussie luscious long leave in, putting the towel over my shoulders, let it dry down my back.
Now if I want it curly or wavy, I wait until it is nearly dry, gently detangle and set it in (cold) rollers, and will take those out in 24 hours or more.
If I want it normal, I just let it dry down my back, and detangle once it is dry, although weirdly all the tangles seem to get themselves out when it dries.

punkcatknitter
July 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I usually coconut oil the ends, then toss it up in a messy lazy wrap bun for a half hour (or longer if I forget about it!). Then I can take it down and let it air dry without it dripping all over my shirt. :) I leave it alone until dry, other than the occasional shake to break up clumps of hair.

Tuna
July 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I squeeze out water, then just let it air dry. I don't wrap it in towel, because that makes my hair frizzy.
When they are dry i deatngle them and put some coconut oil at the ends.

aliceinmadness
July 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I leave it in a towel until it's no longer dripping, detangle it, put whatever leave-ins/products in, then wrap it around like I'm making a bun...except I don't put it up. I'll just gently twist it until it dries, which is why I do this in the evening. Although it doesn't really take that long, all things considered. If I'm really impatient, I'll give it a quick puff with the blow drying on low around the nape of my neck where it's thickest.

[shrug] If I put it in a bun, it'll have weird kinks because of my layers and take forever to dry. If I straight-up blow dry it, I turn into Puff the Frizzmonster...and if I leave it to air-dry without touching it it'll have a really uneven curl pattern which I then have to fix with pin curls or a flat iron. Fooling with it the way I do is the the only efficient method that I get consistent results with.

torrilin
July 18th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Wring out hair with my hands. If I feel like it, I'll use a towel to squeeze out more water. Depending on my mood, I'll then braid it or bun it so it's out of my way. Proceed with life or sleep as appropriate for the number of showers I've had... we've been painting our new house, and there's an IMPRESSIVE heat wave on, so I've been doing 2 showers a day for the last week.

AuburnAlight
July 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I always let it air dry and reaaallllly gently detangle it with my fingers until it's all dry.