PDA

View Full Version : Is this over-doing it?

whiteisle
June 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Do you think this would be ok or too much on a daily basis?

~WO at night and apply good amount of coconut oil for overnight
~CO in morning followed by ACV rinse (1 tsp to 12 oz water)
~Apply coconut oil as needed for shine/moisture to dried hair

Melisande
June 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Wow, it seems a bit excessive to me. Let your hair and scalp rest a bit, I'd say. Deep oilings in the night before a wash are a good idea, I love them. But don't wash daily. Even CO is stressful for the hair.

Why do you need to WO before the oiling? Why every night a heavy oiling? Do you have some kind of emergency going on? Your ava looks fine.

peachy.pudding
June 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yes, why not just shampoo every two or three days, and put all the potions in your hair the night before wash day

FrannyG
June 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yipes! That does sound a bit excessive. The less you have to completely soak your hair and scalp with water the better. I know that with shorter hair, sometimes daily washing is necessary, but I would advise just one CO or WO per day.

I think that as your hair grows longer, you'll be able to stretch out the washes a bit. :flowers:

Lamb
June 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Yipes! That does sound a bit excessive. The less you have to completely soak your hair and scalp with water the better. I know that with shorter hair, sometimes daily washing is necessary, but I would advise just one CO or WO per day.

I think that as your hair grows longer, you'll be able to stretch out the washes a bit. :flowers:

I don't think completely soaking the hair once every day is a problem, or even washing the hair every day depending on method used (a daily CO, if your scalp is okay with it, should be fine). However, the overnight oiling is almost sure to cause buildup very soon. Also, depending on hair type, daily ACV rinses may turn out to be drying.

I think washing every other day and perhaps conditioning every day, with one overnight oiling a week, is a better idea.

whiteisle
June 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Wow, it seems a bit excessive to me. Let your hair and scalp rest a bit, I'd say. Deep oilings in the night before a wash are a good idea, I love them. But don't wash daily. Even CO is stressful for the hair.

Why do you need to WO before the oiling? Why every night a heavy oiling? Do you have some kind of emergency going on? Your ava looks fine.

Oops! I guess I should have added that I work out every night and my head is full of sweat and that's why when I shower I go ahead and wet my hair and try to rinse the sweat out. I thought adding the oil afterwards would be a good moisture thing for overnight.

And I guess I was washing it out in the mornings to avoid the "greasy" look of having the oil in my hair.

Then the ACV was added to give a little shine because CO leaves my hair less than shiney and dull.

ETA: I have only done all this one time, last night and this morning. This hasn't been a long term routine for me.

Lamb
June 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
If you work out every evening, wouldn't it be better to CO in the evening after the workout, and do a WO rinse in the morning if you have bedhead issues?

whiteisle
June 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM
If you work out every evening, wouldn't it be better to CO in the evening after the workout, and do a WO rinse in the morning if you have bedhead issues?

Actually, that's what I was doing before finding LHC except shampooing and conditioning instead of just CO. But, like I said, I've only done this particular routine one time. My normal routine is to use something on my hair at night, like some oil, or the MN, or maybe mega-tek and then wash in the morning. Plus, honestly, I like the way my hair behaves right after a wash verses just wetting it. So that's why I wash in the morning, for the freshest hair. I don't know if any of this makes any sense. :)LOL

soprano
June 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Does your avatar represent your current hair length? Why are you oiling so much? At that length, the sebum from your scalp should provide all the oil you need, provided that you don't strip it all out every day. I find that if I oil anything above my shoulders, then I have to wash a lot sooner or my hair will look and feel greasy.

Washing that much sounds excessive to me, and I *do* get quite sweaty every day - I ride my bicycle to get around, currently in 100 degree heat. The first few inches are generally quite wet when I get home (sometimes all the way down to my bra strap!) but it dries out.

Not washing every day takes some getting used to. It drove me crazy at first. However, I found that over time my scalp stopped producing so much oil (I think that COers go through the same process) and now I only need to wash it every 4-5 days, even with all of the exercise and heat. With shorter hair you might want to do it more frequently (my guess is that you can't hide stringy hair in an updo yet) but every day is going to be a little harsh, plus you'll go through a lot more product.

Off to run some errands now... woo-hoo! It's only 83 right now!

wintersun99
June 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Curlsgirl
June 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
At your length I don't see that what you are doing is actually that bad except for perhaps a little too much oil. But you will notice it getting lank and looking greasy if that is the case. I would cut out the overnight oiling to maybe once a week or when it needs it or maybe instead do a moisture treatment instead of a deep oiling so often. I agree you don't really need much if any on the roots, maybe just under the ears. As your hair gets longer you may want to cut down on wetting it so much and that will be easier as you can start to put it up.

So in other words, I would cut way back on the oil and replace it with moisture when your hair needs it. You'll get to know your hair better the longer you are here and experiment with different things. You are asking good questions and we are more than willing to try to help!

Honey39
June 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I like to condition only wash in the morning, which revives the curl, and I do add a bit of oil to the ends in the evening before I go to bed, which I wash out the next morning. My hair is THRIVING on this routine so far, but it's not that long, just about mid back length.

I've been keeping a journal for the last few weeks, so I can see what works for my hair. That's quite interesting!

The other thing is to play around and see what works for your hair and your needs. I don't actually want to stretch out the washing, because I love the feeling of damp hair each morning that's fresh - but leaving out shampoo has been a total revelation! I never knew that I didn't need shampoo, and that was making my hair look worse. Conditioner (cone free) and cocount oil are really making my hair feel lovely at the moment.

chrissy-b
June 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I work out nearly everyday and was having the same issue of wetting my hair more often than I probably should, especially if I want it to stay healthy as it gets longer.

I usually CO in the evenings after my workout and then mist in the mornings so I can style my hair. I've just recently decided to stop CO daily and stretch it out to every third day and CWC only once a week. Right now my hair is a greasy mess, but I know my scalp will adjust and my hair will be better off.

Elenna
June 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Do you think this would be ok or too much on a daily basis?

~WO at night and apply good amount of coconut oil for overnight
~CO in morning followed by ACV rinse (1 tsp to 12 oz water)
~Apply coconut oil as needed for shine/moisture to dried hair

Seems like you want clean hair after exercising.

Maybe you could switch your routine around. Maybe put coconut oil on BEFORE you do the CO, and just rinse (WO) in the morning.

Coconut oil is great (as well as other oils), but just a small amount is needed.

whiteisle
June 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Last night was the first time I put coconut oil all over my hair and I did that because earlier that day my mom had convinced me to try some new shampoo and conditoner she had gotten for her horse (she had tried it for herself and loved it). Well, it totally dried mine out to where I couldn't run my hand and fingers through it without here some snaps, crackles, and pops. So that's why I decided to use the oil last night to hopefully put some moisture back in. And my hair feels incredible today. So soft and I can run my fingers through it with no problems. That's why I was wondering if this would be a bad thing to do regularly.
It probably isn't something to do everyday but my hair just feels so great today, I'm addicted!LOL I'd love to be able to stretch my washings but I have such a hard time putting up with the dirty and greasy feel that comes from not washing as often. I actually envy those who can WO all the time. I do love products but they frustrate me so much that I think I could easily do without them. Who knows..........maybe I'll start working towards that goal. If I stay here at LHC long enough I bound to try a little of everything, right?:eyebrows: LOL!

ItalianFlower
June 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Question: what is wrong with washing once every day?

TheBlondeApple
June 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I can relate to the need to get a fresh scalp after excercise and I can relate to the need to wash your hair in the morning.
Anja

julya
June 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
When my hair was that length, I would wet it most days, and sometimes twice a day. It was before I found lhc, and I was using only shampoo, every two or three days. The other times I would wet my hair I used just water. I feel like it was ok for my hair.

trollkjerring
June 24th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I think as long as you and your hair are happy everything is fine. As time goes by your routine will probably change anyway,
trollkjerring

Elenna
June 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Question: what is wrong with washing once every day?

Their is nothing wrong with washing once a day, it's whatever suits your lifestyle, your hair, and your current hair length.

Everyone has opinions about cleaning their hair based on their own hair NOT your hair. Some people do frequent scalp washes and wash the length infrequently. Some wash the length and wash the scalp infrequently. Some people use only water or no water. Some use conditioner-only to wash their hair. Some use herbs. Some use shampoo bars. Some wash once a week or two, monthly, etc. The variations are based on individual preferences.

Kirin
June 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I don't see that routine as excessive at all. When working at outdoor venues in the heat, I often take two showers a day, and my hair is a complete sweaty disaster. For these times I generally CO wash night and day, and only use shampoo if its really sickeningly sweaty/greasy.

I've always been a daily washer, though I have cut actual shampoo out to only twice / three times a week, and CO the other days. My hair (and me!) likes that best. Its all about what makes you and your hair happy, and I doubt considering you arent scrubbing shampoo into it, and if you are gentle you aren't going to cause any major damage to your hair.

What you should do, is watch your routine and your hair carefully over the course of it. If you begin to see problems arising, then alter your routine.