PDA

View Full Version : How bad is hairspray?

buttercupmcgee
July 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I've given up heat, cotton pillowcases, ponytails, and brushing....but nothing holds a style like hairspray!

I recently discovered how to heatlessly style my hair overnight, so that it has some shape the next day (two bee but buns on top of my head, for those of you who are still searching. Like this, but two of them:)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_87I09eaiJZQ/TK8dNo05bWI/AAAAAAAAAOM/QP-pe_JNJMg/s1600/high+bun+3.jpg

But without a few (about 5) pumps of hair spray upside down and on each side, it falls by breakfast. With hairspray it has oomph all day. I use Dove flexible hold.

After I've used it, the next time I wash it I make sure to detangle with conditioner in the shower first thing. I never comb through hair with old hairspray on it.

So my question is, how terrible is hairspray in a haircare routine without color, heat, minimal washing, satin pillows, etc? Will it hinder my growth and cause breakage, just by itself, even if I don't touch the hair after using it?

Thanks!

FluffSpider
July 11th, 2011, 12:22 PM
There is an article about damage and growing out damage, and it explains the effect of hairspraying: basically, it's themechanic damage(fixing the tangles in their shape then having to detangle might cause breakage) and some drying. I wouldn't say it's such a big no-no, but avoid the maximum hold ones FOR DEAR LIFE! I wasn't really scared of them until I had some in my hair. It remained sticky for 4 days. It dehydrated my hair to the point where I HAD to oil(previously, for 2 months my hair had been VERY low maintenance-barely needed a cup of light condish to detangle and look great).
Baby it, use lower hold sprays, and you'll be OK.
Actually, it's better to detangle dry hair(perhaps work in some leave-in?)
Say you sprayed directly onto a tangle. You go in the shower, wet it...the tangle will still remain there, but the hairs will be much weaker. You condish, but it might not calm it down for good, and when combing, it WILL snag.

chahuahuas
July 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I agree with Fluffspider that it's not so bad, as long as you use low hold.

Actually, it's better to detangle dry hair(perhaps work in some leave-in?)
Say you sprayed directly onto a tangle. You go in the shower, wet it...the tangle will still remain there, but the hairs will be much weaker. You condish, but it might not calm it down for good, and when combing, it WILL snag.

But I don't approve of detangling dry. If I have problems detangling, I just use more conditioner. Eventually it'll do the trick for me. Sometimes I have to get my hair sopping with conditioner, which is expensive if you're using a nice conditioner, but at least its gentle!

My curls get HECKA tangled, so I have to use tons of conditioner every time I shower. It's so much that I'm considering buying a cheap one for detangling, and save a nicer one for leave-in conditioner.

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
@buttercupmcgee...

The woman in that photograph had traction alopecia..in at least 2 different spots!!! Wearing hair that tightly bound will ruin your hair!

As far as hairspray, I wouldn't, but I dislike anything foreign on my hair. I never needed anything to "hold" my hair since I rely on hairpins to secure my hairdos.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

pepperminttea
July 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
How long is 28" (your goal length) on you? Because up until BSL/waist-ish area you can get away with a bit more depending on your hairtype/genetics/luck, especially when you're there any maintaining with frequent trims. Yes, they will be some damage, but in an otherwise very hair-friendly routine, if it means you enjoy your hair more, why not? :)

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
And I bet, Madora, if we undid her hair we'd find a weak spot or two on the hemline!

heidi w.

FluffSpider
July 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe that girl has traction alopecia, or maybe they wet/used product on her hair as to highlight the bits at the sides, making her hairline seem like it's receding. I have little hairs which 'step' out of the line-thank goodness they're transparent blonde! I think most of us have them, and dying them a darker shade may make them stand out.
@ Chahuahuas: I couldn't undo certain tangles while wet without literally yanking on them-and I wouldn't do it again. I usually spray a light mist of oil-based condish(or..well, cones) and then grab my wide toothed comb and get to work. if I hit a snag, I'll work it through with my fingers(while applying more oil/cone) then try to hold them straight for a couple of seconds as to make them maintain a straight shape and not tangle again.Ofcourse, what works for me may not work for someone else, so trial and error is the most likely solution:p

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
@ Heidi w...

Oh, don't you know it!!!!! What a pity one so young has such problems! I suppose the alopecia MIGHT be arrested..depending on how badly the areas were affected..but still, it is a pity her hairstyling caused such trauma!

buttercupmcgee
July 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I agree with Fluffspider that it's not so bad, as long as you use low hold.

But I don't approve of detangling dry. If I have problems detangling, I just use more conditioner. Eventually it'll do the trick for me. Sometimes I have to get my hair sopping with conditioner, which is expensive if you're using a nice conditioner, but at least its gentle!

My curls get HECKA tangled, so I have to use tons of conditioner every time I shower. It's so much that I'm considering buying a cheap one for detangling, and save a nicer one for leave-in conditioner.

Same here...no matter how gentle I am when it's dry or how much gunk I slather on, it rips and snarls. I know combing when wet is a danger zone but I find that after 5 minutes of warm water and gobs of conditioner, my wide tooth glides right through.

buttercupmcgee
July 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
@buttercupmcgee...

The woman in that photograph had traction alopecia..in at least 2 different spots!!! Wearing hair that tightly bound will ruin your hair!

As far as hairspray, I wouldn't, but I dislike anything foreign on my hair. I never needed anything to "hold" my hair since I rely on hairpins to secure my hairdos.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Good eye, Madora, but not to worry....my buns are much looser. That picture is there to demonstrate bun height, not tightness.

Thanks!