PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Long hair and Horses

Darkhorse1
June 24th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I was curious to see how many long haired ladies have a love for horses. So, this poll should be interesting. As I work with horses, I've seen many long haired gals at shows. I"m curious to see if this spreads all over the world.

Darkhorse1
June 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Multiple answers are allowed ;)

harley mama
June 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
It has been a long time since I last rode a horse.

And, I'm from Texas. ;)

JessTheMess
June 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Horses. I used to ride all the time until I moved to the city. It's been about ten years since I've been on a horse :( I wish I knew of a place close by that I could ride

laughter777
June 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have somewhat long hair BSL, but trying to go to hips. I ride daily, but my horse has short hair (poor app tail comes to his hock)

AJoifulNoise
June 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I love all animals, including horses. I was obsessed with horses as a little girl. Sadly, I'm also scared to death of heights (anything more than two feet from the floor) so I don't ride.

laughter777
June 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I am afraid of heights, but have no problems on a horse!

DotDotDot
June 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I've always wanted to ride, but it's too expensive. I love horses!

Radulfr
June 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I have somewhat long hair at mid-back and I like horses, but don't ride. I love almost all animals.

kate46
June 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I adore horses and would love to ride but I think i'm probably too old now even if I got the chance to. When I was a little girl it was my dream to become a jockey, sadly I went to work in an office just as I was expected to. :(

Anje
June 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Just another horse-crazy longhair checking in. I said I don't ride... I don't ride very well, in any case. I took a few lessons once, so I know how to pick a hoof, put on a saddle, and more or less stay on, but that's about it. I probably would ride if I had regular access to horses.

Darkhorse1
June 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
APPIES!! I LOVE APPIES! I evented an appy for years!! And I got her tail to grow with mane and tail conditioner--right into the base of her tail and it was long enough to bang for dressage by six months :)

Glad to see many animal lovers :D

Oberon88
June 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I love horses, have ridden all of my life and will continue into the far future.

laughter777
June 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
APPIES!! I LOVE APPIES! I evented an appy for years!! And I got her tail to grow with mane and tail conditioner--right into the base of her tail and it was long enough to bang for dressage by six months :)

Glad to see many animal lovers :D

He is a foundation app. Short, stocky, roman nose, does the indian shuffle (without rider) so I like to keep him short and thin...although his tail does it on his own. I roach his mane and its getting thicker and prettier so I think I may leave it His forelock is fairly thick, but not long. I may have to work on the tail now since everything else seems to be getting thick and longer! Granted he is 25+ yrs old and gets grumpy when I do to much of anything to him, unless we are working cows, he loves his job!!

Marcipangris
June 24th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I wonder how many of the people who have long hair and horses, use horse shampoo/conditioner on themselves (like Mane and Tail)...? ;)

Isilya
June 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I like horses and practically everything else on 4 legs (and birds), so I chose those 2 options.

I wanted to pick up horseback riding as a child, but my mom wouldn't let me :-(

jivete
June 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not quite a long hair yet but have always been in spirit. ;) I do have a horse and years ago used to train. My current mare is a Spanish Norman and without keeping her stalled, I'm trying to improve her mane using LHC standards. It's long by average horse standards but pretty weak for her half Andalusian side.

Mely
June 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I had a horse when I was a teenager and used to ride a lot. That was many years ago. I love all animals, but now I just have dogs and cats.

MadHatter
June 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I love all animals! I would ride horses if I had access to them.

Indigo Girl
June 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I love horses! My very first job was at a stable, and I used to actively compete in shows.

Sadly, it's been over a year since I've been on a horse, before that it was seven or eight years. I just don't have much access to them anymore. Two stables I used to frequent got sold and developed into housing communities. But I am a very comfortable rider and would love to be able to ride again if the opportunity presented itself.

mamachanse
June 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I love all animals...except birds. I don't mind then far away (think birdwatching) but I don't like them caged and I definitely dislike being in the target zone. Horses are cool though.

Kiraela
June 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I love love love horses, and I'd consider myself a longhair, at least :P. I'm also an 'every other kind of animal except stinging things' fan, too...
I've had three of my own, but I had to give them all up at one point or another :( ! My second horse, Faran, was my favorite of the three, though. I still miss him and it's been more than 5 years since I had to sell him after a housefire.

I don't ride anymore, but that's mostly due to circumstances( aka money, LOL) when DBF and I get more stable ourselves, I am planning on taking up lessons again.

I've always loved jumping, and had even started Faran over small crossrails, but also I've found myself absolutely captivated by dressage.

I posted about my three former lovelies in the horsey social group.

Riot Crrl
June 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I like horses but don't ride. I did once for like an hour and when I got off the horse my legs had turned to jelly and I almost fell over, haha.

I also love all animals. Except bees.

Dianyla
June 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I grew up with horses. Sadly I haven't had much horse in my life for the last 10 years. :(

Toof
June 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I wonder how many of the people who have long hair and horses, use horse shampoo/conditioner on themselves (like Mane and Tail)...? ;)
It's the opposite for me...I use MY conditioner and oil on my horse's tail! :lol:

Suldrun
June 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
:( I haven't ridden in years due to health problems however I still have a QH/paint and an Arabian that I just cannot part with as I have had them since I was a teen ( they are old lol)
They are my expensive lawn ornaments :)

ahhhh I have been blessed to have had many horses in my life:)

Darkhorse1
June 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Oooh, I rode a foundation QH--roman nose et al, the mare I evented was a bit more refined. I'd say she was Appy cross, as she was fairly sleek. She was amazing---sadly, she developed moon blindness, so was put down in 1999 at 19 years old. She was the best horse ever. I miss her, but I know what was done was for her own good. :(

I've tried Mane and Tail on my own hair, but found it way too heavy a product for my hair type. I know others who use the detangler and love it.

If you are trying to grow a horse's tail/mane, I swear by Mane and tail conditioner. It's amazing!!

Lady Copper
June 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Another horse lover here! I have two right now, after longing for them my whole childhood. I also love animals in general. And yes, I have noticed how much long hair there is at shows/expos. It is interesting!

cherryblossom
June 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
i love horses but sadly don't ride. I have a friend who has long blonde hair and rides (nearly) every day!

saracuda
June 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Horses are nice, and I like the way they smell, but I don't have any or ride.

centurytoolate
June 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I love all animals! I've only ridden a few times. There are tons of people in my area with horses, lots of ranches and rodeo fanatics. Unfortunately I don't know any of them so well that I would ask if I could ride. If someone offers though, I'm there!

Alva
June 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Well im not actual riding right now anymore, I quit a few years ago after I was forced to sell my horse. I did ride for 11 years in total.

Feenzauber
June 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I love all kind of animals, but horses are one of my favorites ever since I can remember and I have been riding for many years.

LongForLife
June 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I love animals in general. But I have always been horse crazy, as others have told me. lol

sexyjacksparrow
June 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I love all animals. No special affection for horses though.

Kerry xx

roxyhead
June 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Another city living horse fiend here. When I lived in the country, I never thought I'd want to get *away* from civilization!

kwaniesiam
June 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I love horses, used to ride a lot but stopped due to lack of funding for lessons and not being able to get my own horse. My friend has horses, and sometimes I go over to her house and ride. I love almost all animals too. :)

Phalaenopsis
June 30th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I love horses! I used to ride every day, but with my studies, that has been a bit hard. When I graduate and get a job, I most certainly get my own horse. I love horses with thick manes e.g. Andalusian horse :inlove:
And I would love to braid its hair too :o

Brianna
June 30th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I love horses. :) I used to ride when I was younger, and I'm planning to start riding again this autumn.

morgwn
June 30th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I've started riding again over the past two years after a 13 break and I'm so happy to have gotten back into. I don't know yet whether I'll start getting back into shows but I've still got my ribbons somewhere from those days. :)

I'm also very much an animal person, however, and wind up swooning over the younger ones quite frequently. :D

laughter777
July 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Just thought y'all might enjoy these pictures:
http://www.weddingannouncer.com/pictures/8940/photoalbums/28863/bridal4.jpg

http://www.weddingannouncer.com/pictures/8940/photoalbums/28863/bridal3.jpg

http://www.weddingannouncer.com/pictures/8940/photoalbums/28863/engagement6-jp.jpg

laughter777
July 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Sorry they are so big!

Isilya
July 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I love those pics! Especially the first one, with the colour accent.

And a bit early, but otherwise there's a chance I'll forget: Happy 1st Wedding Anniversary! :cake:

jenna
July 4th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I have long hair and like horses, but don't ride
I have long hair and love all animals

that's what i picked.

forgetmenotak
July 4th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I love horses, and all animals, but I don't have a horse, and it's too expensive to pay to ride. When I lived in Alaska, I knew someone that wanted her horses exercised so I got to ride whenever I wanted to! That was so much fun! Right now I have BSL hair.

Kiraela
July 5th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Laughter777, thanks for sharing those pics! Your horse is a beauty!

Siowiel
July 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I guess I like extremes... I ride, but oly in side-saddle and with long, flowing skirts... people have stopped gawking at me, because they got used to it :D

feralnature
July 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I have 2 horses and have ridden my whole life. I was a longhair most my life till silly and bad things happened to my hair with scissors. So I am a longhair in my soul :)

I live on a farm and have tons of animals. Horses, donkeys, goats, lots of goats, poultry including chickens, turkeys, duck, guinea, peahen, dogs, cats, snake and so on. Had cattle til the big drought awhile back.

The horses are Quarter Horses, a beautiful paint and a golden palomino....their manes and tails are long and uncut.

Samara Morgan
July 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I would love to go horse-riding :cloud9: Horses and ponies are lovely, but I only stayed long enough with lessons to learn how to trot and jump small jumps lol.

eresh
July 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I have been riding ponies and horses since I was 6.
Also trained two myself later on (a Fjord and a Hackney)
Dressage and side-saddle were my favorite things, I'm not much of a jumping lover.
But it got too expensive for me.
Eventually I will start again, I never lost the horse itch ;-)
If I ever win the lotery...a Shire it is, my alltime favorite horse.

And I love (almost ;-) ) all animals, I work with cats and dogs.

Haith
July 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I used to ride regularly, and I have since being a small child. Once I went away to school I stopped, but I'm only considering this to be a brief break. I will continue where I left off when I'm done my schooling.

Lady Verity
July 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm ever-so-slightly frightened of horses. They're pretty animals, and I'm sure riding is great fun, but when I was a child someone told me not to go near them because they might bite off your face. :-/ I've been leery ever since.

FlowerHair
July 10th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I have long hair and I used to ride horses when I was a child :D
At some point I'll start taking lessons again.

Remke
July 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I love animals and horses, but I don't ride because I'm very allergic for them :( 2 nights ago I was dreaming I was riding a horse, it was soooo nice but then I woke up and thought, O no, I can't do it irl...

Elanor
July 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I also used to ride frequently, and I spent 1-4 days of the week at the stables. Now I ride Icelandic horses once a month or so. It's so relaxing to spend an hour or two riding without a saddle across fields and forests :)

Country Cowcurl
July 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
i absolutely LOVE horses!! and all animals, really.....except chickens, i hate chickens. i got attacked by one at age 7. multiple times.....:steam

starla_zero
July 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM
My Little Pony was the extent of my horse-love as a child ;) Which could explain a lot colour/length-wise, actually, so you may be on to something.

Siowiel
July 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Apropos My little Pony... I had a lot of horses from Barbie, but always cut their manes and tails to make them look more realistically - the excess of hair some american breeds sport was unheard of in Germany in my childhood ;)

AerisDawn
July 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I love horses but I never have an opportunity to ride. I'd love to though.

Katze
July 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I love horses (see profile pic). Unfortunately, I've never been able to afford one of my own. Maybe some day!

My grandpa was a cowboy, as in, really herded from horseback, in the 1930s in Arizona. He taught me to ride when I was 5 or 6. When I was 16 I got to work as a wrangler at a summer camp. That was one of the very best jobs I ever had despite a weird stalker boss. We took care of the horses 7 days a week, but had the freedom to ride them when we wanted as long as no rides were scheduled, including camping trips on horseback! We led nature trail rides and explained about the flora and fauna to camp kids and others, and I had my own horse for those 3 months!

Here in Europe riding seems different; riding around rings, in shows, etc. It's really not my kind of riding. BF's sister-out-law has horses, and she and his brother ride, but the whole "English" style is just too fussy and controlled for me. I'm a Western girl at heart; I can't ride in circles inside a fence for very long.

ShanaMaidela
July 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I voted that I have long hair and like horses but don't ride. I would love to ride but I never have. Hopefully one day.... I have a dream of riding with my hair in the wind. I know, I know. Tangled mess, but I would still do it. :grin:

I also love most animals so....:-)

SHW
January 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I've recently joined and someone told me about this poll.

I've been riding for 35 years. I own a Friesian that has been trained in dressage AND I have my own business massaging horses. I feel like the luckiest woman in the world. I start to go through withdrawal if I don't get my hands on a horse every day.

I had very short hair for about 20 years. It was easier to manage when riding with a helmet. Now my hair is long and it's helmut friendly also. I think the in-between length is difficult to manage with a riding helmut and being around horses, at least for me it is.

So happy to "meet" some other long haired horse lovers.

p.s. I love to pic of the bride and appy!

Remke
January 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I like horses, but don't ride because I'm very allergic for horses.

And I love all animals

Jamme
January 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I used to ride, but I quit some years ago because it took up too much of my time. My mother has a horse, though, and my sister do vaulting.

...when I think about it, my hair was really short during that time, allthough it didn't have anything to do with it being a hassle when working with horses. I had never had hair long enough for it to even BE a hassle :P

dearladydisdain
January 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
My family owns a horse and my sister rides. I never was a big fan of horses but because of that I'm around them A LOT :p

phantastica
January 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
This poll is closed, but I'll answer anyway.

Interesting possible correlation! I've had long hair for years, and I've loved horses for longer than that. I was raised in an almost-rural area, and took riding lessons as a teenager. I've always wanted a horse, but realized that my mostly suburban (and now urban) lifestyle wouldn't allow such a lifestyle shift. Someday, perhaps, when I retire, I can consider having a horse, or living in an area where I could regularly ride.

I like other animals, but not enough to own them right now. At best, I might get a cat someday.

Myrrh
January 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I used to have hair down to my waist. I have owned and ridden horses since childhood. I currently own three [2 arabians, and 1 arabian cross] and ride endurance.

I love long hair, and horses. Don't see it changing anytime soon. :D:D

Gingevere
January 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've been riding my entire life and have noticed a lot of long-haired ladies at clinics, shows, expos, etc. Most of my equestrian friends have medium to long hair as well, but that may just be because we're teens and long hair is generally very popular with girls and young women (around here, anyway). However, I do think that being around all those long, flowing manes and tails day in and day out can have a bit of an effect after awhile... ;)

Darkhorse1
January 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Welcome all horsey people!!! Please link to me as your friend--I could talk horses all day ;)

Hope those who are in this deep freeze are staying warm. Mackanna--yep, I noticed this too. Quite a few long haired people in the industry! I love it. I think it has a lot to do with those long flowing manes :D

SHW
January 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM
Welcome all horsey people!!! Please link to me as your friend--I could talk horses all day ;)

Hope those who are in this deep freeze are staying warm. Mackanna--yep, I noticed this too. Quite a few long haired people in the industry! I love it. I think it has a lot to do with those long flowing manes :D

I would love to, but I don't know how and I don't know if I am allowed until I have 25 posts. DarkHorse1 do you know???

Darkhorse1
January 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
SHW....I have no idea. I've friended people who are brand new, perhaps you have a privacy filter on your profile that you aren't aware of??

Heavenly Locks
January 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I have long hair (want it longer!) and also have and ride horses :)

maskedrose
January 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I started riding shortly after I learned to walk, and I was hooked at my first lesson. I took lessons as often as possible until my parents were convinced that I was serious enough to warrant buying me a horse.

On my eighth birthday my parents told me that we would begin searching for a horse, and a few months later I was the proud owner of an older Arabian mare named Khalie. Shortly after I got her I became involved in Pony Club and with that, eventing.

From then on I was rarely out of the saddle and and by the time I was 14 I started taking on "project horses" that I could train and then sell for a much higher price. They were all wrecks in one way or another when I got them (starved, abused, or neglected in some form or another).

We bought a young QH mare named Dazzle who turned out to be a fantastic jumper - fearless and a joy to ride cross country, a talented dressage horse and an absolute sweetheart to boot. I moved her on to a sweet older woman who wanted a well-rounded horse to advance in dressage and do a little jumping.

I then found a tall, gangly thoroughbred (ex-racehorse) named Andre who became another freaking fantastic jumper and a beautiful dressage horse. He was a gorgeous dapple grey with long slim legs and a powerful body. At the height of his condition I regularily had people mistake him for an Oldenburg. I moved him on to another adult amateur who wanted to start showing and increase her dressage skills.

The day Andre left I was given a little Arabian gelding who turned out to be my biggest challenge to date. I had given my neighbor a hand at her Arabian show barn (saddle seat)and was immediately drawn to a sorry looking little gelding in one of the end stalls. At the end of the day I went to visit him and was appalled at the state he was in. He cowered against the back wall, watching me with fearful eyes, he was obviously full of worms and his feet were at least 2" overgrown. After convincing him that he would come to no harm from me, I took him out of his stall and let him out to graze in one of the pastures. To my surprise, he had the most fantastic movement of any horse I had ever worked with. Later we joked that he could trot over a truck - just floated over the ground and used his whole body to move.

The trainer had serious difficulties with him, so when I expressed an interest they gave him to me on the spot. I let him veg for a year before started working with him, just groomed him, turned him out and started him on a serious de-worming and good-food program. Three years and lots of work later, he was dressage horse extraordinaire and made people drool whenever they saw him. He was by far one of the sweetest horses I've ever had the pleasure of working with and it broke my heart to let him go.

However, I had bred my first little mare many years before and I had her daughter, who I named Legacy. She's my sweetie and I've done all of her training myself. However, I'm moving to the UK next year and I can't afford to take her with me. It kills me to even contemplate selling her, but it wouldn't be fair to her to just wallow around in a pasture by herself for years until I could scrounge up enough money to bring her over. :cry: So, I'm on a search for the perfect home for my special girl (visitation rights will be manditory!).

I won't be out of horses for long though, don't worry. My next purchase will probably be a Percheron. I've always loved the big guys and I think they are truly under appreciated as riding horses. I've worked with a few of them in the past and known people that have gone far with them in dressage and eventing.

Anyway, that's my story and I do have long hair!

SHW
January 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Hi girls. I found out that you have to have posted 25 posts before you can make someone your friend or look at the members. So, I'm off to add to my numbers. Let's become friends when we make our numbers.

Raven69
January 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have long hair and have had the glorious honor of riding atop a few horses...though I have never had any 'official/professional' lessons. Oh, and I have always loved/admired the grace and beauty of horses. Would like to sometime learn and own a horse...

jera
January 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I love horses. :) Wish I owned one but I don't.

You're right BTW. Many people who have a love for horses also have long hair. Must be something to do with horse whispering and horses manes. :p

JessTheMess
January 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
How I missed this thread I will never know:rolleyes:
I love, love , LOVEEEE horses!!! I used to ride and half owned one growing up. It had been almost ten years since being able to ride. My fiance took me over the summer to go trail riding. Well, I am happy to say that I am back in the saddle! I start my lessons in the spring and I am so excited! In a few years after the Fi and I settle down and buy our house, I would like to eventually by a horse of our own. :cheese:

SHW
January 30th, 2009, 05:57 AM
JessTheMess, I love your "name". Ha, ha, haaa...

Wonderful news about riding again. There are lots of lease and 1/2 lease options out there with the bad economy. You never know what kind of deal you might find so that you wouldn't have to wait so long.

Good Luck

Iylivarae
January 31st, 2009, 07:20 AM
I love most animals, but I don't ride and I don't think I'll ever learn how to do it.

annie09
January 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM
im from the uk and while i like the majestic look of horses i am a little scared of them i dont think i would be able to pat one in a field lol

Lissa
March 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I do vaulting, and have also been riding some years ago, but I'm actually not particularily fond of horses. I love all animals, so I don't mind being around them, but I'm not the kind of girl who would want to spend as much time as possible in the stable.

AcadieAnne
March 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Can't vote on this poll, but I ride h/j and very low level dressage. Would rather be at the barn than just about anywhere else, but I also love all animals.

Darkhorse1
March 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hey AcadiaAnne--I do H/J, dressage and eventing. :)

AcadieAnne
March 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Nice. When I'm able to ride as much as I'd like to, I'd like to try eventing and maybe foxhunting. I hear eventers have the most fun.

LittleOrca
March 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Long hair and I love all animals! :D

Darkhorse1
March 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Eventing is amazing. I've never had the opportunity to foxhunt, but I hear it's really tiring. A few of my students have done foxhunting and some friends of mine have hill topped. I'll stick to eventing :) It's a blast!!

Little orca-I LOVE animals. :)

BranwenWolf
March 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have long hair (it was shorter for a while!) and have ridden and trained through most of my teen years.
Do mules count? :) I have one.

To be more specific I show multiple divisions but our strongest suit is in reining and other western riding classes.