PDA

View Full Version : Hair Scare!

AshleyTheRed
July 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
So I just got back from vacation a few hours ago :). But yesterday before I left I was swimming at the waterpark. I was in line for the water slide. There were two little black sisters talking in front of me, and I noticed that the little boy in front of them had something in his hair. :eye:

I looked closer and his blonde hair was infested with LICE! :run: I almost screamed.

I had lice in grammar school a few times and it was BAD. I know what it looks like. I went down the slide and told the lady by the desk. They shocked the pool, and I ran back to my cabin to treat my hair. (Listerine and Denorex it's what got rid of it in grammar school) The workers and lifeguards were even sending out someone to get some stuff so they could clean their hair at the end of the day.

I've had my head checked twice, and I'm clean. :joy: I was sooo scared.

gthlvrmx
July 10th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Didn't i read a thread like this about a month ago? Good thing you didn't get any!

LuXious
July 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Ahhh! At Nashville Shores last year everyone had to evacuate the big swimming pool for a while, but I couldn't figure out what for. Now I see. They must have shocked it.

Now, thanks. I am going to be freaked out about getting lice there this year. : P Never considered the possibility of getting lice from the pool.

AshleyTheRed
July 11th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Didn't i read a thread like this about a month ago? Good thing you didn't get any!

I think there might of been a thread about lice but this happened yesterday!

AshleyTheRed
July 11th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Ahhh! At Nashville Shores last year everyone had to evacuate the big swimming pool for a while, but I couldn't figure out what for. Now I see. They must have shocked it.

Now, thanks. I am going to be freaked out about getting lice there this year. : P Never considered the possibility of getting lice from the pool.

Nashville Shores? I haven;t been there. Lake Winne and Holiday World are cheaper. And I miss Opryland. :/

gretchen_hair
July 11th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Lice would scare the crap out of me too.

But out of curiosity, why is it necessary to describe the race of the girls that were behind the boy? I don't see the point.

Explaining that there were 2 little girls and a boy in front of them, with a head full of lice would have sufficed.

spidermom
July 11th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Oh no; now my head is itching.
One of my nieces brought home lice about 10 years ago, and we couldn't get rid of it for a month or more. It was a nightmare!

LunaMoon
July 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM

But out of curiosity, why is it necessary to describe the race of the girls that were behind the boy? I don't see the point.

Explaining that there were 2 little girls and a boy in front of them, with a head full of lice would have sufficed.

yup! I was about to say that.

Good you didn't get it! :D

delsh
July 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM

I don't see it this way at all. The OP also mentioned that the little boy had blonde hair - is this unnecessary? The OP is telling a story, and describes a bit of how all the people looked so we can sort of imagine the scene. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just my :twocents: :)

I'm so glad you're lice free! My family had to deal with a round of lice when I was a child, and it definitely isn't any fun. Good on you for bringing it to the attention of the people at the park, you did the right thing!

Melon Collie
July 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
With my friends that have school age children, every time I hear that there's note sent home to check the kids for lice, I avoid them like the plague. Yak!

That's great that you didn't catch any.

rach
July 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM
shudders in fear

princess03
July 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM

I agree I was like hmm maybe Ill keep reading and there will be a reason for it :rolleyes:

Celtic Morla
July 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe the OP didn't mean any offense by mentioning their race i twnd to notice children more than adults because i love kids, maybe the fact she was possibly admiring them caused her to notice the other boys more closely....

Tea tree Oil kills lice. Dilute it in water and spray it one and they drop dead, can even add it to shampoo and it worls(had a horrible incident with daughter with lice froma school friend of hers and noen of the rest of the fmaily caught it!

RitaCeleste
July 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Would be okay to mention it if the kids were purple and boy's hair was green? If you guys want to pretend you never even notice someone's color fine go for it! I don't know why I'm just suppose to see anonymous blobs when I'm out and about or pretend I didn't even see half the colorful stuff and people that are out and about. I'm only whitish but I refuse to pretend I'm color-blind. You are so lucky my sister wasn't telling the story, you would know what they were wearing, how they styled their hair, the color and cloudiness of the sky, the time of day, the area of the country..... Three hours later, you would have heard lice! lol

Kristamommyx3
July 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Boy, I saw that coming from a mile away

archel
July 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Sigh. I think it's way too easy to be overly politically correct. Why mention that the kids were black? Same reason she mentioned the other boy had blonde hair. She's telling a story. Whatever...

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ooooh... LICE. I had lice when I came back from the Philippines after visiting my family there. Three months of horror trying to get rid of the little demons shudder:

I'm glad you're okay! Soaking hair in coconut oil for a couple of hours is also supposed to help.

thisischristine
July 11th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I had no idea you could catch lice from the pool! I thought you could only catch them jumping from head to head. Slightly horrified by this revelation.....

jasper
July 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I had no idea you could catch lice from the pool! I thought you could only catch them jumping from head to head. Slightly horrified by this revelation.....

They don't jump, actually. They have to crawl or ride on shed hairs.

ttverdy
July 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Yikes! Glad you're safe though :)

Lostsoule77
July 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I didn't know you could catch it from a pool either. I got lice once when I was in school when a girl I was babysitting and the parents didn't tell me their child had it! Luckily my mom was a nurse and I only had to go through one treatment to get rid of them. You're really lucky that you noticed and were able to protect yourself as well as everyone else. :)

Monkey962
July 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Everyone is suggesting that you can catch lice from a pool, but can you really? I would assume that the chlorine wouldn't make the little buggers' lives at all easy, and the fact that their natural environment isn't exactly watery couldn't help.

Mesmerise
July 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Everyone is suggesting that you can catch lice from a pool, but can you really? I would assume that the chlorine wouldn't make the little buggers' lives at all easy, and the fact that their natural environment isn't exactly watery couldn't help.

Chlorine has never killed my kids' lice ;)

Funny...but I never caught lice as a kid. The idea freaked me out! I first caught lice at about 35 from my darling DD who loves to put her head next to mine hehe. Lice are rampant at my kids' school in a way they just weren't 25 or so years ago when I was a kid!

Now, my kids (mostly my DD) catch lice several times a year. In fact... I had lice the other day. Yup, there I was driving along, fingers in my hair when I felt something, I pulled it out, looked at it, and said, "MOO YOU'VE GOT BLOODY LICE AGAIN!!" (Moo's my DD's nickname lol...)

But anyway, I've never heard of a pool being evacuated from lice before. On the other hand, pools routinely get evacuated for vomit and poo!! (So yeah, most likely if you've seen a pool get evacuted...that was the reason ;)).

Keller1128
July 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Gross! My head is itching now after reading this. I'm glad you saw it and pre-treated!

teal
July 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Lice never "took" to my head as a kid. I had waist length hair then, and during a couple of checks my mom found a few husks (or whatever you call the empty, er, egg shells?) but nary a live lice to be had. I'm glad, of course, but a tiny little part of me was all like "what, my head's not good enough for you??" :ponder: LOL

Kathie
July 11th, 2011, 10:33 PM
They don't jump, actually. They have to crawl or ride on shed hairs.
Apparently they can also swing on hairs from one head to another... the one thing I remember from a lice movie we had to watch at primary school.

AshleyTheRed
July 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I don't see it this way at all. The OP also mentioned that the little boy had blonde hair - is this unnecessary? The OP is telling a story, and describes a bit of how all the people looked so we can sort of imagine the scene. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just my :twocents: :)

I'm so glad you're lice free! My family had to deal with a round of lice when I was a child, and it definitely isn't any fun. Good on you for bringing it to the attention of the people at the park, you did the right thing!

That reason, and they were adorable.

AshleyTheRed
July 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
But anyway, I've never heard of a pool being evacuated from lice before. On the other hand, pools routinely get evacuated for vomit and poo!! (So yeah, most likely if you've seen a pool get evacuted...that was the reason ;)).

It was evacuated so he could shock the pool (just to make sure).

"MOO YOU'VE GOT BLOODY LICE AGAIN!!"

:guns: Everybody line up for a head check!

jasper
July 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Apparently they can also swing on hairs from one head to another... the one thing I remember from a lice movie we had to watch at primary school.

Tarzan style? :D Yeah, they can crawl off hair that is still attached and unshed onto an attached, unshed hair of another person if the two people put their heads together. I was thinking of shed hairs as one's best way to leave lice around for other people to pick up, but it wouldn't have to be shed hair.

LaceyNg
July 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Would be okay to mention it if the kids were purple and boy's hair was green? If you guys want to pretend you never even notice someone's color fine go for it! I don't know why I'm just suppose to see anonymous blobs when I'm out and about or pretend I didn't even see half the colorful stuff and people that are out and about. I'm only whitish but I refuse to pretend I'm color-blind. You are so lucky my sister wasn't telling the story, you would know what they were wearing, how they styled their hair, the color and cloudiness of the sky, the time of day, the area of the country..... Three hours later, you would have heard lice! lol

HAHAHA!!!

Sigh. I think it's way too easy to be overly politically correct. Why mention that the kids were black? Same reason she mentioned the other boy had blonde hair. She's telling a story. Whatever...

i agree with both of you though.

a good story has details!

and thats good to know about the tea tree oil killing lice! i've never had it, but i imagine theres a 1st time for everything!

AshleyTheRed
July 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
HAHAHA!!!

i agree with both of you though.

a good story has details!

and thats good to know about the tea tree oil killing lice! i've never had it, but i imagine theres a 1st time for everything!

Well thank you! ^^

Redheadedweirdo
August 15th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I am wondering if tea tree oil and light body sesame seed oil would work? DD found lice in her hair last night and then in mine today. We washed with extra medicated Denorex with the coal tar in it and then i took tea tree oil and dumped some into a bottle with cetaphil in it and have been sitting here. should i rinse and sleep with the sesame oil and tea tree mix? what now????

AshleyTheRed
August 15th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Denorex and Listerine is what always got rid of mine. I had an out break in middle school and another in grammar school.

Redheadedweirdo
August 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I Found another thing that works, it has neem in it and it is called Thereneem Organix from organixsouth.com. I got a 12 oz (360ml) bottle from Wild Oats here in Salt Lake. I put it in my hair after only misting my hair and then put in in my daughter's real thick hair, mine is way thinner. I waited about 4 hours and took a shower. My head is still a bit irritated a day later. My daughter took her shower and she was grossed out by the bugs and stuff falling out of her hair in the shower. I checked her hair and the eggs i did see slid easily with my fingers. I didn't even need to use my nails. I have found what works with us. The bottle was about 12.99 usd, ugh. not working and a week before school too. but so far it works and my hair feels good. i am a CO so I was a but surprised my daughter found a bug and a few eggs.
:D