PDA

View Full Version : How much, if any, breakage is normal?

kitcatsmeow
July 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Usually when I brush/comb my hair I get some tiny broken pieces. I always brush and comb over the sink so I can monitor exactly how much. Should I be worried? There is usually 5-20 little hairs. :(

I don't shed almost at all. Maybe a hair here and there and the breakage is becoming less and less but....still happening.

twopoints
July 10th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Do you hear your hair snapping? I, too, get short hairs that naturally shed. They have a tapered end and a white tip at the root.

growingpains
July 10th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Before I switched back to cones I was getting slight tangles that when I tried to comb through even gently would cause breakage. That said, the bottom four inches of my hair are seriously chemically and heat damaged, so yes, in that instance breakage when brushing is normal. But if your hair is not damaged? I dunno if that's normal. Maybe try being even more gentle: finger comb before combing or brushing; make sure your comb is wide toothed with no seams, etc. Look at your product use, do you have any products that make your hair dry? Do you use heat or dye?

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hair loss varies from person to person. Normal range is 80 hairs a day.

How you brush and comb your hair has a direct bearing on how much damage you sustain.

If you detangle with a wide tooth comb before brushing, you'll find brushing goes a lot more smoothly!

Also, combing is not just a matter of putting your comb to your head and then combing down the strands. If you want to protect your hair as much as possible, then comb gently by:

1) bending at the waist
2) bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) take SMALL sections of hair, and working from the ends of that section, gently comb 2 inches. Move the comb up the section and comb the next 2 inches, and so forth, until you reach the scalp. Continue in this way until ALL the hair has been detangled.
4) Then, while still bent at the waist, begin to brush your hair, starting at the nape and working down to the ends. Work slowly! Follow each swipe of your brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on the static electricity caused by the brushing. When your hair has been thoroughly brushed, make a center part from your nape to your forehead.
5) Grab the hair on the right hand side with your right hand.
Do the same with the left hand side
6) Stand erect
7) Take the hair in your right hand and gently put it over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back. Repeat with the left hand side. Do NOT flip/toss/throw your hair over your shoulder. This only creates more tangles!
8) Style as desired.

QueenJoey
July 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM
My hair used to break, not shed, but get little one inch pieces falling out. Is that what you mean by breakage? I used to get that sometimes, but only when I had used to much heat on my hair.

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Breakage isn't a good sign! (I'm assuming you don't mean shedding.)

How do you comb/brush your hair, meaning, what technique do you use? Also, what do you use to brush/comb?

You may want to read this article. *click here* (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) :)

Gulbahar
July 11th, 2011, 04:28 AM
My hair will break, no matter what I do. :shrug: Sometimes it's just the hairtype...

QMacrocarpa
July 11th, 2011, 07:30 AM
For me, numerous little broken bits are one of my cues to trim (along with instant retangling where as soon as I've combed it, it's tangly again (how does it DO that?). It's not something I consciously monitor, it just eventually gets noticed.

spidermom
July 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM
My hair doesn't break off much, but I do shed out quite short hairs sometimes.

Anje
July 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Small hairs can shed out too, but I'd say for most hairtypes, breakage is should be the exception rather than the rule.

(For some extremely curly types who get fairy knots in most of their strands, I believe a bit is practically unavoidable. At least, I've seen a blog entry or two from kinky-curly folks with very healthy hair asserting this.)

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Anje is right! Very curly haired folks have a real battle with knots/tangles/snarls because of the very nature of their hair.

They must be very, very careful how they brush and comb to avoid damage as much as possible.

The tendency towards breakage often greatly slows very curly hair from growing longer. Curlies are often battling against breakage issues.

Curlies who want to grow long have my utmost admiration. It takes real dedication - and patience - dealing with curly hair!

lacefrost
July 11th, 2011, 08:48 AM
If your hair is damaged, then the breakage is about normal. As others have mentioned, sometimes breakage has to do with hairtype (curlies, finies) but damage can be minimized by how you do it. For example, if I comb or brush my hair while dry I'm guaranteed to get breakage. If I do it wet, I don't get even a single broken hair.

Maybe your comb is too fine or you're detangling too fast? Maybe try detangling with your fingers first to see if that helps.

kitcatsmeow
July 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the responses! After I did my SMT my hair feels SO much softer and almost no breakage. I think it was def chemical damage from over dying it. The oiling is helping remove the color and the more that washes out the beItter my hairs condition.

I do comb/brush correctly and I S&D regularly. I probably should be more gentle with my combing and do it less.

This was helpful thanks!

ttverdy
July 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
My hair doesn't break when I brush it; I just shed from the root. However, I do find damage down at the end, and find little pieces that are about to break off--I just don't ever see them when I'm brushing.

Bellona
July 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM
My hair doesn't break when I brush it, either. I do get breakage, but my hair's been bleached a lot. It seems to be way worse after using heat. I S&D quite frequently lately trying to catch them before they get worse.

Mesmerise
July 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
My hair sheds plenty...and will shed short hairs...but it doesn't break. Well, that's not true... if I get my hair caught in something and accidentally pull it it may break (like in my glasses or something)...but it takes a certain amount of force to break my hair... it never breaks just brushing it.

The only time I've ever had hair that just broke when I ran my fingers through it or brushed, it was damaged beyond redemption (bleaching, dyeing, perming, straightening, and then perming again...if you can imagine).

I would say if your hairs ARE breaking, you need to be very careful with your hair. When I had badly damaged hair I knew nothing about protein treatments and other treatments that can help strengthen badly damaged hair. Also find out where the hairs are breaking from... if it's just the last couple of inches of your hair that are breaking, then maybe you can consider trimming back those inches??

Roscata
July 11th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm going to suggest finger combing because it is the most gentle way to detangle hair that I can think of and you don't have to buy anything!

I'm not sure if there's a technique to use, I just kind of run my fingers through my hair starting at the ends and working my way up (as I would with a comb) and if I hit a bump I take it apart slowly and gently then run my fingers through the spot after.

Also a drop or two of oil (like Extra Virgin Olive Oil) on your length or leave-in conditioner can help give your hair slip which will make it easier to detangle.

I hope that made sense and helped. Good luck! :D

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Finger combing is an ideal way to do a cursory once over of your hair.

But to be SURE all those snarls/mats have been removed, go over your hair - slowly - and working from the ends up to the roots - with a wide tooth comb.

Make sure you have gotten rid of all knots/snarls/tangles because if you don't, those gremlins will lure other strands to mix with them, and then you WILL have larger knots/ etc!

Get 'em while they're little!!! Believe me, after dealing with snarls for over 40 years, I know how the little devils work!

EdG
July 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I too notice really short (1/4 to 1/2 inch) strands after I comb. Some are broken, perhaps from where the ends would have split if they hadn't first broken off.

I'm not sure what to do about this. On the plus side, strands that short are only a month's worth of growth.
Ed

clairenewcastle
July 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
My hair used to break badly when it was dyed but now that I've cut most of the dye out it rarely breaks any more - it just sheds instead!

kitcatsmeow
July 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I wish I could cut my dye out! But I'd probably have to shave my head! :O I guess a lot of S&Ding and more trial and error will help. I know it's chemically damaged but I don't know yet what it needs. Protien, moisture, both? hmmmm

FB
July 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM
My hair breaks alot the longer it gets. I am assuming it is because I am still growing out some damage but now after reading all theses posts it may also have to do with how I brush and comb my hair. I will NOW always begin with finger combing first. Hopefully, the breakage will come to an end orr at least slow down.