PDA

View Full Version : TSA Search Woman's Hair

Mely
July 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Lady Accuses TSA Of Racism For Extended Inspection Of, Laughter At Her ‘Poofy’ Hair

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/lady-accuses-tsa-of-racism-for-extended-inspection-of-laughter-at-her-poofy-hair/

Kaelee
July 10th, 2011, 08:07 PM
If she was wearing her hair the way she was in that shot, I think they were being ridiculous (I got an- admittedly half hearted- pat down search simply because I was wearing a skirt). The laughter was COMPLETELY inapropriate.

If, however, she went through security with a Foxxy Cleopatra style afro well... I kinda gotta side with the TSA on this one (except for the laughter which, even if her hair was utterly ridiculous, was unprofessional.)

Toadstool
July 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM
The comments under the article are seriously horrible.

Elph
July 10th, 2011, 09:39 PM
But if she was subjected to a full body scan wouldn't that bring up any issues?

RoseRed27
July 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I heard about this too. Ive heard of and seen many different people get patted down. My mind doesn't automatically scream "racist!" when these things happen. But, if I hear rude giggling and unkind comments, it makes me uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure the women here know when an agent pats your thighs during a routine search, they are just doing their job, but if their hands lingered a bit too long, it would make us uncomfortable. Just the way some things are done can convey a person's true intentions. Sometimes I think a pat down is unnecessary. What exactly are those x ray machines and metal detectors for? They can see through clothes but not hair? :p

And Kaelee, why should her hairstyle matter? If someone can get a knife in their 'fro through the metal detector, I'm sure they can sneak in some explosives in a bun. ;)

Vani1902
July 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Ugh...I know. Some people are just horrible. I don't know what makes them think that it is ok to say, or write, those types of things. I will never understand why people feel the need to troll.

RoseRed27
July 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM

So true. Apparently a black president means there is no longer racism. I guess the people who refused to vote for a black candidate and vocal militant racists all evaporated when he was inaugurated. That's great news! Those aunt Jamima comments must have meant she makes a darn good pancake. :D

I hate when people play the race card for no good reason, because it makes it difficult for real issues to be taken seriously. But I really hate it when an issue that could be racially insensitive is dismissed because people think it's no big deal, so why take it seriously? "It's just hair, it's not like they beat her". At first I thought, "Come on, they patted her bun? Big deal, just because you're black doesn't mean it's racist." But I was unaware of the comments. Not all racism comes in the form of flaming crosses just like not all instances of homophobia come in the form of a bashing.

McFearless
July 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Asking to look at her hair wasn't racism, I don't think. The reasons behind the laughter though, we won't know. They very well could be racist, or they could be laughing at her hairstyle, or the fact that they were making her uncomfortable. I think she jumped the gun out of life-long frustration. I can't be 100% sure but I know the folks who work at airports annoy pretty much everyone. And we all know the type of people who get it the worst at airports, ahem.

teela1978
July 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I think we have another thread on this... I'm pretty lilly white and have had my bun poked and prodded by the TSA though, so probably not a racism issue.

ETA: the laughing could potentially be though...

swetiepeti
July 11th, 2011, 02:08 AM
But if she was subjected to a full body scan wouldn't that bring up any issues?

no, it does not scan that deeply

Kaelee
July 11th, 2011, 03:11 AM
To the poster who asked about my comment (sorry, I'm on my phone): a giant 'fro is a lot bigger and easier to hide things in than a tiny bun. ;) of course you can still hide things in a bun, but it's less likely.

Bast
July 11th, 2011, 06:27 AM
http://www.king5.com/home/TSA-to-woman-Were-going-to-have-to-examine-your-hair-125112189.html

Another article. In this one, earlier than the MSNBC interview, she says nothing about people laughing at her at the airport. The comments on that article are much more...hrm...polite, too, with a few other folks saying that they have had their buns patted down as well.

RoseRed27
July 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I don't know Kaelee, some of the buns I've seen on many of our longhairs aren't that tiny to me! :p I get your point, I just imagine a bun being more sturdy, and anything placed in a 'fro, or any fluffy hairstyle, would just fall out, unless it's a pick. :afro:

McFearless, I don't see how patting a bun is automatically racist either. She may have assumed they were racist, when they merely could have just been jerks. ^__^ I have witnessed and been on the receiving end of horrible comments regarding my hair texture and have heard of people fired for not straightening their hair, etc. and this didn't jump out at me as one of those times. I think she felt violated though and I wasn't there to observe exactly how she was treated. But you're right about who gets the most discrimination at airports. ;)

BabyRay33
July 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Those comments are seriously crazy at the bottom of that article.

I just dont think that having someone check your hair would be as intrusive as opening your bag and going though that...so bring it on.

Not to mention that I might be flattered that my bun was big enough to inspire suspicion! LOL:eyebrows:

Kaelee
July 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I wonder what would happen if I wore a claw clip in my hair? I'm tempted to find out next time I fly lol.

You guys are right about being able to hide things in a bun but I don't think what I saw in the pic of her was a bun - it looked like a little poofball to me. Like what happens if you would put African American hair in a ponytail without straightening first. Doesn't look able to conceal anything really. I could be wrong but I don't think she had enough hair for a bun. (Unless I'm not seeing it correctly as I don't have cable atm so have to use my phone for internet access.)

ttverdy
July 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I almost always get my hair patted down in the airport, especially if I'm wearing braids across the top of my head.

SarahKayfa
July 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I've worked in the airline industry for the last several years, going through security with and without luggage, sometimes several times a day. I could tell you hundreds of stories. I'm not thinking racism in this case, but there do seem to be a lot of jerks working for airport security. And a lot time I've been searched I know I've felt unfairly singled out. I think it goes with the territory of having your privacy invaded.

SarahKayfa
July 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
On another note, I had a friend in middle school who wore the coolest 'fro. He always kept stuff in it. If I needed a pen or something, he always seemed to have one stashed in there.

RoseRed27
July 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Kaelee, it was actually a bun. :) Remember curly hair, mostly type 3b to 4b, will look much shorter because the curls and coils obscure the length. There are many women who are hip or waist length when their hair is straight, but only apl or even shoulder length when curly, so her hair is longer than it looks. It looks like a basic ponytail type bun. You know, you make a ponytail but don't pull all the hair through. Or it could have been a puff (fluffy ponytail) that was pinned into a bun. You're right, from far away, it doesn't look like a LHC bun, (polished secretary donut type bun), more of a messy, on-the-go ballet-style knot. A simple bun like that is a pretty easy go-to style for natural (unstraightened) hair, because the fluffiness of the hair makes the bun look substantial. So as long as she can make a ponytail, she can make a bun. It's kind of a perk. :p

hazelnut
July 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM
That is exactly why I try to avoid reading the comments people put up under Youtube videos or internet articles. Some people are just way too ignorant for my liking.:rolleyes:

racrane
July 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM
On the article: sometimes the workers are just jerks, but I don't think they were intentionally racist, as other people have mentioned. On the coments below articles: It makes me sad and wonder how often I run into people in real life who like to whip up trouble online because they feel anonymous.

Kaelee
July 12th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Rosered:
Oh, see the screen on my phone is only about two inches wide so I could not see that with any real detail. :) (on a side note, my cable gets installed today! Yeah!)

I also have naturally 'what you mean you didn't flat iron that??' hair. *Lol* so I don't know much at all about curled hair and buns. Or buns in general because I've never in my life had hair long enough to do one.

paintedhorse
August 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
the TSA are on everyone’s bad list lately, i haven’t flown in a long time and i dont like the idea of the body scan bc of radiation iv had a lot of x-rays more than the average person so i dont need anymore (you can call me granola if you want lol) so if i was to fly i would opt for the pat down but iv been hearing that they are getting inappropriate .... makes me want to just drive.. as for them checking her hair as a racial thing im not sure on but the fact that they were laughing at her that would upset me!

Keepitgrowing29
August 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
As an African American myself with curly thick hair, I can sympathize with her. I personally am very sensitive about my curly big hair...always have been. My mother had long silky barely wavy hair...I was not as fortunate. :) If I were asked to step aside to have my hair pated down I would be very embarrassed...it would put a damper on my trip. No one likes to be singled out.