PDA

View Full Version : Braid Serendipity

Madora
July 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The weather is great today so I thought I'd get my "Braid Serendipity" workin' with a variation on my multibraid "Braids Galore" style.

Here's the result:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=107508

Spring
July 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I love the braid in your avi and the braid of braids :)!

yukinohana
July 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Wow, that's beautiful!

Macaroni
July 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
So pretty!

lacefrost
July 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
That's gorgeous, Madora!

SheaLynne
July 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Very pretty!!

Toiréasa
July 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
very cool, I can't wait till me hair is long enough to do such a beautiful braid.

Angela_Rose
July 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Oh my goodness! Inspiring and lovely. Thank you for sharing.

xoerincolleen
July 10th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Ooh, that is so pretty!

Fairlight63
July 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
So PRETTY!!

ArienEllariel
July 10th, 2011, 06:43 PM
beautiful! I want to try this when I have a bit more length.

Gumball
July 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Nice job, Madora! Your serendipity sure paid dividends. :thumbsup: I think it looks great!

spidermom
July 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I like it a lot.

Arya
July 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wow!! Looks amazing! You're so original with your braided buns!

Helix
July 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
That is stunning! You've got skills.

Madora
July 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words! I love braiding!

Slinks
July 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM
what they all said .. amazing hair talent :-)

Lunnafindel
July 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Fantastic! I've got to try that...someday when I have a LOT of time :)

Lostsoule77
July 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
That is beautiful! I think my arms would get tired. :)

Sundial
July 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
That sounds easy yet it looks complicated :thumbsup: did you use any elastics to tie off the braids and how many did you use?

Kosmos
July 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I can't wait till my hair is long enough that I can try something like this. (Not to mention my braiding skills...)

HairStickler
July 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM
That is really beautiful!

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM
@Sundial...

Yes, I used 9 tiny black elastics at the end of each mini braid.

darklion
July 11th, 2011, 01:11 AM
It looks quite elegant.
A lovely hairstyle!

skraprchik
July 11th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Very pretty!

Ishje
July 11th, 2011, 05:47 AM
that is gorgeous!

Alaia
July 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM
:bigeyes:

That's Braiding Skills!! Lovely.

Pumpkin
July 11th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I love it!! Very pretty!

MissCoco
July 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Oh wow Madora, you never cease to amaze me with your braiding skills! My arms would fall off before I could finish this!!

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Thank you, Slinks, Lunnafindel, Lostsoule77, Sundial, Kosmos, Hairstickler, darklion, skraprchik, Ishje, Alaia, and Pumpkin!

@MissCoco...the hardest part is the center French Dutch braid. Getting the sections "just so" and then picking them up (I have issues with feeling in my fingers at times so French braiding is sometimes a "catch as catch can" proposition).

What you do is simple French "Dutch" braid down the center until you hit the nape.

Then you band all the hair with a soft scrunchie (to temporarily hold it in place.

Next you detangle the loose hair, then divide it into 9 sections. Each section is braided BUT for each mini braid I only need to really exert my arm/shoulder muscles when doing the first 2 or 3 crossovers. After those are done, I then bring the braid over my shoulder where it is much easier to braid.

The entire style took about 45 minutes (I have to "take breaks" when doing each braid (my pinkies cramp because of my connective tissue disorder) and my ocupational therapy doctor warned me not to do too much braiding w/o taking "breathers" and really stretching my hands...consequently, braiding something as time consuming as those 9 braids takes a lot longer!)

Once all the braids have been fastened off, I removed the scrunchie holding the braids at the nape. Then I gently twisted all the braids in the same direction, then brought them up and around the French 'Dutch' braid, pinning them with 3 inch crimped hairpins, then tucking in the ends.

The secret to pulling this style off is to braid each mini braid as loosely as possible. You want a LOT of flexibility in each mini braid so that when you twist the braids up and around, they have plenty of "give" and you don't have to battle against tightness.

Sundial
July 11th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Yay! Thanks for the breakdown Madora! I like how you gave tips like securing with a scrunchie temporarily, I was confused that's why I asked about the number ot elastics you used!

I was inspired by you and actually took the time to do 2 lace braids along the sides of my head ending in a regular English braid but it was wash day today so my hair was too slippery - the elastic fell off after half the day without me noticing so i couldnt get a picture of it. I'm always procrastinating when it comes to braiding and I keep telling myself to rely less on hair toys and more on braiding, so I'm glad this thread of yours got me out of the rut.

I will want to try this since it sounds like I may have enough length for it

khan
July 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Oooooooh; pretty, pretty, pretty. I'm going to have to start a list so I can remember different styles. Tomorrow the Braid Serendipity!

ttverdy
July 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Very lovely!

MissCoco
July 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Thank you, Slinks, Lunnafindel, Lostsoule77, Sundial, Kosmos, Hairstickler, darklion, skraprchik, Ishje, Alaia, and Pumpkin!

@MissCoco...the hardest part is the center French Dutch braid. Getting the sections "just so" and then picking them up (I have issues with feeling in my fingers at times so French braiding is sometimes a "catch as catch can" proposition).

What you do is simple French "Dutch" braid down the center until you hit the nape.

Then you band all the hair with a soft scrunchie (to temporarily hold it in place.

Next you detangle the loose hair, then divide it into 9 sections. Each section is braided BUT for each mini braid I only need to really exert my arm/shoulder muscles when doing the first 2 or 3 crossovers. After those are done, I then bring the braid over my shoulder where it is much easier to braid.

The entire style took about 45 minutes (I have to "take breaks" when doing each braid (my pinkies cramp because of my connective tissue disorder) and my ocupational therapy doctor warned me not to do too much braiding w/o taking "breathers" and really stretching my hands...consequently, braiding something as time consuming as those 9 braids takes a lot longer!)

Once all the braids have been fastened off, I removed the scrunchie holding the braids at the nape. Then I gently twisted all the braids in the same direction, then brought them up and around the French 'Dutch' braid, pinning them with 3 inch crimped hairpins, then tucking in the ends.

The secret to pulling this style off is to braid each mini braid as loosely as possible. You want a LOT of flexibility in each mini braid so that when you twist the braids up and around, they have plenty of "give" and you don't have to battle against tightness.

Thank you for the lengthy, clearly written explanation, Madora! I'll have to make an attempt at this once my hair has reached a longer length...

hypersensitive
December 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
^ I think that explanation will help me. This is a really gorgeous style, Madora! I will try it tomorrow! (And hoping I have enough length for it!)