PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Nails Multivitamins

missoj
July 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Okay I know that I haven't been taking them long enough to see a difference in my hair. So two weeks ago I started taking multivitamins that are aimed at growing your hair and nails, and I've been trying really hard not to stress and measure whether it as given me growth, especially as it's only been two weeks (also my relationship with the tape measure is very strained at the moment due to its varying measurements). I have however noticed a difference in my nails, which gives me hope, that it has assisted my hair growth as well.

So I would really love to know if anybody has taken these and if they had seen a difference in their growth and how long did it take? I would appreciate it :) Thanks :cool:

KittyLost
July 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
The first time I started taking a hair, skin and nails supplement I gained 3inches in 2months. It settled down a bit after that and I stopped taking them everyday for a while during which time I didn't notice a lot of growth difference. It is something I have to take regularly to get a result and they only make a difference if you have a poor diet to begin with. Your hair and nails are the last places to get nutrients so they sometimes don't get as much as they need, this is why the pills can give you a growth spurt.

MomOf2Gremlins
July 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
The first time I started taking a hair, skin and nails supplement I gained 3inches in 2months. It settled down a bit after that and I stopped taking them everyday for a while during which time I didn't notice a lot of growth difference. It is something I have to take regularly to get a result and they only make a difference if you have a poor diet to begin with. Your hair and nails are the last places to get nutrients so they sometimes don't get as much as they need, this is why the pills can give you a growth spurt.
Wow! Would you mind sharing with us which supplement that was?
I'm terrible at remembering taking my vitamins actually but was thinking the other day that I really should try better as I thought it might help my nails & hair too..

thestookem
July 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I don't think Multivitamins are going to significantly effect the growth rate of your hair.

The only case that would effect hair growth would be if you lacked some specific vitamin or nutrient in your diet that was then made up for in the Supplement.

I did a quick google search and looked up what ingredients are in "Hair Specific" supplements. It's basically the same ingredients in a regular Multivitamin, but at a much higher cost.

If your diet was unhealthy, and you didn't ingest the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals someone your height and weight requires daily, your maximum genetic potential for hair growth will be stunted.

In this case a regular daily multivitamin will be just as effective as your "Hair Specific" supplements.

I've never taken "Hair Specific" vitamin supplements before but I have taken "mega men's sport by GNC" and noticed that my nails grew faster than usual. I didn't notice a huge change in hair growth.

If your nails are growing faster then your hair MIGHT grow faster as well, BUT the increase will be barely noticeable. There may be many other beneficial health effects you can't see.

KittyLost
July 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Wow! Would you mind sharing with us which supplement that was?
I'm terrible at remembering taking my vitamins actually but was thinking the other day that I really should try better as I thought it might help my nails & hair too..

I don't know what brand they are, I get them for £2 (the same price as a multivitamin plus I get discount) out of Wilkinsons. I think they are called Women's Health or Healthpoint? They're in a pill bottle that's mainly yellow. Like I said though, I have a poor diet so I think that's why they helped so much.

I've heard people mention on here that Natrol is a good brand? I could never find the ones that were named on here or they were all like £5+ so I just went for Wilkinsons own brand I guess.

MomOf2Gremlins
July 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I don't think Multivitamins are going to significantly effect the growth rate of your hair.

The only case that would effect hair growth would be if you lacked some specific vitamin or nutrient in your diet that was then made up for in the Supplement.

I did a quick google search and looked up what ingredients are in "Hair Specific" supplements. It's basically the same ingredients in a regular Multivitamin, but at a much higher cost.

If your diet was unhealthy, and you didn't ingest the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals someone your height and weight requires daily, your maximum genetic potential for hair growth will be stunted.

In this case a regular daily multivitamin will be just as effective as your "Hair Specific" supplements.

I've never taken "Hair Specific" vitamin supplements before but I have taken "mega men's sport by GNC" and noticed that my nails grew faster than usual. I didn't notice a huge change in hair growth.

If your nails are growing faster then your hair MIGHT grow faster as well, BUT the increase will be barely noticeable. There may be many other beneficial health effects you can't see.
Good point. I'm a vegetarian so I know and noticed (for my skin) that it's important for me to remember taking my vitamins and B's etc.

Out of curiosity I ordered a vitamin now for hair & nails from Vitacost.com [NSI Hair, Skin & Nails Formula ] and look forward to giving it a try. Lots of good reviews, so it can't hurt and it has biotin etc. in it which my multis don't.

I don't know what brand they are, I get them for £2 (the same price as a multivitamin plus I get discount) out of Wilkinsons. I think they are called Women's Health or Healthpoint? They're in a pill bottle that's mainly yellow. Like I said though, I have a poor diet so I think that's why they helped so much.

I've heard people mention on here that Natrol is a good brand? I could never find the ones that were named on here or they were all like £5+ so I just went for Wilkinsons own brand I guess.
Thanks for letting me know! I didn't even see before that you're in the UK! *duh* LOL

Maybe already the belief of it working will help my hair grow faster? ;)

missoj
July 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the input ladies. :) I try to eat as healthy as possible, and I'm also a vegetarian. Fortunately the pills I took aren't too costly, they're under 7$ (when I convert the price to US dollars). I'm not taking any other multivitamin pills but I guess if it's basically the same, I may as well use them, once these are done. Thanks for the advice.

Kristin
July 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
For the record, I have tried a couple different hair, skin, nails multivitamins as well as several supplements. I took Natrol for several months at the suggestion of some LHCers and my skin was broken out like crazy; I've always had near-perfect skin and it was atrocious. I quit those and went back to Maxi-Hair vitamins and mine skin is fine. Everyone reacts differently. My growth is better whenever I'm taking any multivitamin regularly, though.

BabyRay33
July 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I take a hair skin and nails vitamin and when I first started in Feb I ended up getting over an inch a month for several months.

Then I ran out of them and it slowed to about 3/4" a month, and I am back on them.

My diet isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I noticed a result in my nairs very quickly, within 2-3 weeks, and then the measurements started adding up too.

It convinced me to continue taking them. Mine are only $7 from Walmart

PinkyCat
July 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
For the record, I have tried a couple different hair, skin, nails multivitamins as well as several supplements. I took Natrol for several months at the suggestion of some LHCers and my skin was broken out like crazy; I've always had near-perfect skin and it was atrocious. I quit those and went back to Maxi-Hair vitamins and mine skin is fine. Everyone reacts differently. My growth is better whenever I'm taking any multivitamin regularly, though.

Yes I use these. Country-Life Maxi Hair. $8 at www.swansonvitamins.com (http://www.swansonvitamins.com).

I saw an amazing amount of growth - but you need to keep your protein intake up.

Elysium
July 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I take Boots own-brand multivit +ginseng, its about £5. I've noticed my nails growing faster and stronger, not sure about hair growth as I keep getting wildly varying measurements :p

MomOf2Gremlins
July 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I look really forward to getting my hair vitamins and hopefully soon I'll see a growth spurt! ;)

Ligeia_13
July 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I think I've noticed more growth with mine, but maybe its psychological. You know, I believe my hair will grow, so it does :p

MomOf2Gremlins
July 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Ok, my hair & nails vitamins arrived the other day, so I've started taking them. Now hopefully I'll see a 'growth spurt' in my hair real soon! ;) (If it works from simply believing, that's fine with me too! :p)

IanB
July 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Yes they do say B Vitamins and Biotin in particular are good for hair growth

RitaPG
July 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I take folic acid for my (mild case of) thalassemia/ anemia and a multivatamin. I don't know how much of that improved my hair health, since my routine changed a lot and my hair is already a million times better, but the supplements made awesome things for my skin and nails in less than a month.
The way people respond to supplements might depend on the nutrients your body needs and is not having. I obviously needed them but for some people it makes no difference.

Don't stress about new growth, set a date (for example, August 30) to measure and keep the tape hidden until that day.

goldenmoments
July 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM
oh, i have to find my flintstones!