PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take me?

tinywife
July 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I looked for a thread like this, and couldn't find one...

1. For those at tailbone - how long did it take?

2. Classics - how long did it take?

3. Knee-length goddesses - how long did it take?

Now that my biotin growth spurt is leaving me I'm trying to get a realistic picture of how long it'll take to reach each of my goals. I am a trimmer, btw.

bunzfan
July 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
From what starting length are you?

Rocket22
July 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Well you need to first figure out how fast does your hair grow per month. Then measure how many inches it takes to get to your goal point and then do the math. Everyones hair grows at different rates and of course we are all different heights so someone tall would take more inches to get to same point as someone shorter.

twilight_faerie
July 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well you need to first figure out how fast does your hair grow per month. Then measure how many inches it takes to get to your goal point and then do the math. Everyones hair grows at different rates and of course we are all different heights so someone tall would take more inches to get to same point as someone shorter.

This. Also, you need to factor in how much, and how often, you plan to trim.

kouran
July 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
1. For those at tailbone - how long did it take?

From waist to tailbone it took me 4 months (September to December 2010), with the help of MSM of course. If I hadn't trimmed my hair twice I would be at Classic already.

spidermom
July 10th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I can't tolerate dried out, snarling ends, so I've trimmed a lot. It took me 10 years from pixie to classic length (then I cut back; same old reason).

xoxophelia
July 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Well here is a rough ball park for you:

Let's say I was close to where you are right now at chin length. I will say 15" which is maybe about shoulder length? For me, solid tailbone (to the end of the spine) is about 39". My growth rate is slightly faster than average but considering I trim slightly more than I intend to usually let's suppose I have an average growth rate of .5" per month and over the course of the years, I trim an average of 2" a year. This leaves me with 4" of growth a year and approx. 24" that I need to grow to get to my goal length. 24"/4"=6 or about 6 years to get to goal at that rate.

However, let's suppose I have an average growth rate and I never trim, then 24/6= 4 years but with an uneven hemline.

BlazingHeart
July 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
The last time I let my hair get to tailbone, it took me 3 years from chin to tailbone. But I have unusually fast growth (average 1"/month) and unusually tough hair that doesn't require much trimming at all.

~Blaze

Carolyn
July 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
It's the number of inches you need to grow times your monthly growth rate minus how much you trim per year. The most I can gain in a year is 4". It's usually more like 3". I get a half inch per month which is average.

MissHair
July 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM
The last time I let my hair get to tailbone, it took me 3 years from chin to tailbone. But I have unusually fast growth (average 1"/month) and unusually tough hair that doesn't require much trimming at all.

~Blaze

Wow thats really fast. Im past shoulders so my current goal is tailbone and I suppose it wouldnt take that long for me as I would of imagined then! Im hoping I can get waistlenght in 2 years.

jojo
July 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM
From waist to tailbone it took me 4 months (September to December 2010), with the help of MSM of course. If I hadn't trimmed my hair twice I would be at Classic already.

How fast do you grow a month? theres like 11" difference between my waist and TB. The most id grow in 4 months is 2" which is the average 1/2" a month, even with supplements I don't see how this is possible? maybe others can prove me wrong! thats like phenomenal growth!

Mesmerise
July 10th, 2011, 06:34 PM
How fast do you grow a month? theres like 11" difference between my waist and TB. The most id grow in 4 months is 2" which is the average 1/2" a month, even with supplements I don't see how this is possible? maybe others can prove me wrong! thats like phenomenal growth!

Yes, that's insanely fast! For most people "fast" growth is about 1" a month... and while I'm not sure what waist to tailbone is for me... it would definitely be more than 4"! (It's probably 8-9" but that's just a guess).

For me...at an average of 1/2" a month... it will be about 14" from chin to waist, which, without trims would be 28 months, so two years and 4 months... and then to tailbone, with another 8" (guess), that would be another 16 months... so a total of 44 months, which is 3 years 8 months (if my math is correct!). But that's WITHOUT a single trim! Now, I'm probably going to trim about 1cm every three months (provided I have reasonably healthy hair) so that's about 15cm of trims (which is about 6") so it will take me another full year to reach my goal, even with moderate trimming! So yeah... chin to tailbone for me would be 4 years 8 months! Phew...

kouran
July 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM

I'm not sure how much I grow in a month, because I rarely measure, I only look at my hair. The diference between my waist and tailbone is of 11cm (4.3''), I have a small torso (I'm 5.4). If I hadn't trimmed my hair I would be at classic already, but with tapered ends. I don't think I have phenomenal growth, Squiggyflop's hair grows faster than mine, I think.

Alaia
July 11th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Without trims it took me 2 years to go from just above BSL to TB. That's true TB (the bottom of the Coccyx) rather than, say BCL ;) (it's about 9 inches for me). Through not trimming and layers my hair didn't look so hot from Waist down.

With trims I anticipate it taking a bit longer, but as I plan to have mostly dusting trims (a la George Michael method), hopefully not that much longer. Also I'm starting from longer this time (yeah I cut my hair).

WaitingSoLong
July 11th, 2011, 06:24 AM
It took me about about 16 months to grow from waist to TBL. It is a bout 12" difference between waist and TBL for me and I am 5'4", too. It was REALLY 24 months, but I had a 4" trim and I know I grow 1/2" a month so I did some math to come up with that 16 mos.

Also you may have to factor in a stall or two, just in case. I try to estimate very realistically. I barely made TBL when I estimated I would, it was "just grazing". Now I am solid TBL, actually on my way to Classic.

I have taken biotin, MSM, vitamins, DE, among other supplements and never gotten more that 1/2" per month. I think all those things increase your optimal health and I am already at my optimal health and 1/2" is max, I think, for me. I have never tried the monistat and I do plan to try it for 6 months. I am not in a hurry to gain length (TBL is ok for me) but I want to grow out my sun-in steaks and I am on a 6 year trek to do that...that is my estimate from 4" roots to TBL virgin hair with my 2 years of hair growth knowledge and observations.

tinywife
July 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! I don't know honestly know my real growth rate yet. I know it's grown this month, but according to the measuring tape it's an inch shorter (how? I didn't cut!) so I can't even take a guess at what it will eventually be. It's nice to see what everyone else's is, I'm sure mine will be right along with that.

jojo
July 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure how much I grow in a month, because I rarely measure, I only look at my hair. The diference between my waist and tailbone is of 11cm (4.3''), I have a small torso (I'm 5.4). If I hadn't trimmed my hair I would be at classic already, but with tapered ends. I don't think I have phenomenal growth, Squiggyflop's hair grows faster than mine, I think.

are you measuring from your waist, as in where your narrowest part of the torso is and not hip length? I could see it being that from hip length. Even squiggflop went from waist to hip in 6 months if i remember rightly. You must be tiny to have a 4.3" difference, wow wish i was shorter *sigh* its taking me forever to get to hip from waist!

October
July 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have about a 5 - 6 inch difference between the smallest part of my waist and my tailbone. I'm 5'1. Short torsos! :cheese:

Oh, and I would just try to figure it out myself if I were you. I tried to measure on myself - I should reach TBL in 2 years if I grow 1/2 inch a month. Figure out how many inches it is and double that and that is how many months is should be - with no trimming. But, I don't believe I will make it in 2 years, more likely 3. My hair seems to grow slow. I last bleached my hair 2 years ago and the bleach line is at my chin. So... rather slow for me.

Hairizona
July 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I had to factor in the amount of damage I had done to my hair prior to beginning this journey because it resulted in me to have to trim more hair more often. As well, the years I resisted trimming resulted in the ends continuing to break off and that resulted in what appeared to be a very slow growth.
The last time I grew my hair out to below fingertip length(47"), it took me 8 years from the time I started at the same length as listed for me here; and that was with much less damage.

kouran
July 19th, 2011, 01:52 PM
are you measuring from your waist, as in where your narrowest part of the torso is and not hip length? I could see it being that from hip length. Even squiggflop went from waist to hip in 6 months if i remember rightly. You must be tiny to have a 4.3" difference, wow wish i was shorter *sigh* its taking me forever to get to hip from waist!

Yes, I did measure from the narrowest part of the torso to the tailbone. I never trimmed my hair during those months, and I know it wouldn't be possible without the MSM. I ate 3-5 fruits a day, but very little protein and was underweight (46 kilos) so I don't think it was from my alimentation. Also, my sister grows at least one inch a month since she was just a child, so maybe it's genetic as well.

layla<33
July 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM
oh geez i never realized that some people trim only get 4 or 5 inches a year! i get 11 - 12 with no trims and a 1" a month.. so if were saying starting at 15' to 40' maybe about 2 years two years and a month maybe two. though im almost midback right now. i have 5 inches until waist so i guess that'll be my christmas present :D