PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your buns in place?

Tehillim408
July 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM
My hair is BSL and layered, so I have a hard time keeping a bun in place with just a hair elastic.

Is there a better/more secure way to keep a bun nice and neat?

I'm thinking of a regular cinnabun.

pepperminttea
July 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Hair sticks and forks work so much better for me than elastics. The only thing I use elastics for now is securing the end of my braid.

Speckla
July 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I anchor them in place with two or three well placed bobbypins and a scrunchie or use a flexi8.

Remyy
July 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I almost exclusively use hair sticks to hold buns in place. It's the most secure and neat looking way I think.

selderon
July 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Spin pins, my friend. Two spin pins does the trick for me.

Other options include small hair claws, bun cages, u shaped hair pins and options the other posters mentioned.

bunzfan
July 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Just this week i have gone back to using mini claws see

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_001-30.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=001-30.jpg)

My hair is a similar length to yours to.

slz
July 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM
One or two claw clips for shower buns = made just for the time of a shower, taken down right after. It doesn't hold well enough in time.
For an all-day bun : a hair stick. My scalp is too tender for pins, it hurts like hell after one hour at most.

whitestiletto
July 10th, 2011, 10:59 AM
My hair is only shoulder/armpit length, but I love using miniclaws as well..... They come in a variety of sizes. The octopus clips hold more hair and look cuter: http://www.hairflairboutique.com/images/hair-accessories/Scunci-Octopus-Jaw-Clips-Dark-2031C.jpg

RocketDog
July 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I use amish hairpins or spinpins for cinnabuns, or ficcare clips when I want something more decorative.

Anje
July 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I usually use a hairstick or a Ficcare-like device. Elastics don't hold buns well.

dulce
July 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I second ficcares and also a xl flexi-8 clip,if you use a mega flexi you can do a circular lazy wrap bun instead of an oval one.

Macaroni
July 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Just this week i have gone back to using mini claws see

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_001-30.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=001-30.jpg)

My hair is a similar length to yours to.

What a pretty idea! I may borrow your idea and do a deep treatment at the same time.

ddiana1979
July 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I usually use a Ficcarre or hair fork, supplemented with Goody Spin Pins to tuck away any stray ends.

I think my hair is too slippery or something for hair sticks. They fall out almost immediately.

Keller1128
July 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I've been using spin pins and a spider claw for buns lately. The spin pins are more comfortable for me though.

GRU
July 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hair sticks and forks work so much better for me than elastics. The only thing I use elastics for now is securing the end of my braid.

I almost exclusively use hair sticks to hold buns in place. It's the most secure and neat looking way I think.

Spin pins, my friend. Two spin pins does the trick for me.

What ^they^ said! :lol:

skyblue
July 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM
a couple of well placed claw clips hold a bun for me all day

Madora
July 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Depending how the bun is made, I use either 3 inch crimped hairpins (as many as 9) or 2 inch crimped hairpins mixed with 3 inch hairpins. I bought mine at Sally's and they're terrific!

Zesty
July 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I don't wear my hair in a cinnabun very often (because it looks funny, the center swirl is really thick and kind of eats the rest of it), but for my day-to-day buns I swear by hair sticks. I can get a nautilus or a pencil bun to stay with just a single stick, and it doesn't hurt or poke. When I do want to do a cinnabun, I use a Ficcare with Good Hair Days hair pins. I also sometimes use an elastic as a base with hair pins (not bobby pins... my hair brutalizes those, and they hurt my scalp) to hold up the style.

Copasetic
July 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Once you get the hang of them, sticks are great for keeping your hair in place. You can also try large hair clips. They tend to work better than elastics.

krissykins
July 10th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Most folks here try to avoid securing updos with an elastic since it can cause more damage than the alternatives that have been mentioned (spin pins, hair forks, hair sticks, Ficcares, Flexi-8's, mini jaw clips, other types of pins, etc)

These are the tools I prefer, starting with my favorite:

1.Ficcares
2. Hair forks
3. Spin pins
4. Hair sticks
5. Flexi-8's

I only use elastics for securing braids.

Seeshami
July 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM
The naughty mess laughs in the face of hair ties, clips and styling products. It only stays in buns when it feels like it, which is next to never.

The naughty mess does have a strange fondness for the Goody Bun Spiral and generally behaves after being redone 3 times.

And I did a very naughty thing to hopefully please the mess and I bought two flexi-8's to play with. I can't wait till they arrive!!

New2NH2012
July 10th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I think, either I don't know how to USE the spin pins correctly, or my hair is too fine, because I find that when I put them in to secure the end of my bun, the tail just slides right out. Its SOOOO irritating. I will have to look into the other things listed on this thread... thanks, ladies and maybe gents! :)

GRU
July 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I think, either I don't know how to USE the spin pins correctly, or my hair is too fine, because I find that when I put them in to secure the end of my bun, the tail just slides right out. Its SOOOO irritating. I will have to look into the other things listed on this thread... thanks, ladies and maybe gents! :)

I know that islandboo has super-fine, super-straight, thin hair that is so slippery she calls it Teflon hair.... and she uses spin-pins. She and I are hair-opposites, so that's as close as I can give to advice on fine / straight hair! :lol:

Sundial
July 10th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I use hair sticks, hair forks, Ficcares, Flexi-8s and spin pins. They are pretty sturdy but I use the Flexi-8s and spin pins when I need the bun to hold like a rock

Lishamatish
July 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
The naughty mess laughs in the face of hair ties, clips and styling products. It only stays in buns when it feels like it, which is next to never.

The naughty mess does have a strange fondness for the Goody Bun Spiral and generally behaves after being redone 3 times.

And I did a very naughty thing to hopefully please the mess and I bought two flexi-8's to play with. I can't wait till they arrive!!

Hehe, sometimes hair can have a mind of it's own! Shame it rarely uses this mind to decide to behave for a while eh :)

Unzadi
July 11th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I like beak clips as well as mini claws, but lately I've been gravitating to a single hairstick. Two sticks in an X if I want to get fancy.

Alaia
July 11th, 2011, 07:30 AM

I have extremely fine, straight and (now that I cut it) slippery hair and spin pins do work for me. It's all about catching the scalp hair (and even though it says not to cross the spin pins, I do anyway, just carefully so as not to break them). You must make sure to spin them around and through the end of the hair and the rest of the bun too. HTH.

Spin Pins are my favourites at the moment, but I also love Amish pins (I have a bunch) and hair sticks/forks. Ficcares do NOT hold buns for me. When I had layers hairsticks/spin pins were the absolute best.

In2wishin
July 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I have been using giant bobby pins for ages (the ones that are about 3" long). Recently discovered spin pins and love them too. Haven't tried Amish pins yet.

Seeshami
July 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hehe, sometimes hair can have a mind of it's own! Shame it rarely uses this mind to decide to behave for a while eh :)

It's very much like my cats. :D

Fethenwen
July 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Oh, I remember the days when I used elastics to keep my hair in a bun, I don't see the point really now that I have learned to use hairsticks. The elastic is just going to give mechanical damage to hair, while making a bun with the help of hairsticks - or hairpins is going to minimize damage. Keeping the hair up in a bun is a great way to protect it.
I also find hairsticks to hold buns better than elastics. Lately I have been keeping my hair in a nautilus bun, and it holds very well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y&feature=related

If you have hair that is a little shorter, like BSL, you might want to use only a few fingers while gripping your hair instead of the whole hand. That way you get your buns tighter.

ashke50
July 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I use spin pins for cinnabuns, and flexi8s or sticks for other buns. There are some really easy to follow tutorials on youtube if you don't know how to use sticks (and you can practice with just a pencil if you don't have any sticks yet!)

layla<33
July 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
scrunchies :eyebrows:

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Pin as you go, as you put your hair up, and interlock them building an interlocking network. Eventually you can get to a triangle network foundation of pins, but start with positioning north/south/east/west.....and then build on that.

Keep your pins in good shape. When the plastic ball tip nicks and begins to lift, toss the pin.

I liked the Goody brand of long or roller hair pins. I use all 3 hair pins, the roller pins, the hair pins (squiggly) and the bobby pins.

The weight of my hair demands the use of the long pins. But tucking traces of hair is bobby pins, or outward spirals of hair, bobby pins and hair pins.

I also use a hair fork which holds my hair better than a stick, and more comfortably too.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
There it no need to tie off a braid if bunning. Just tuck it and pin it.

heidi w.

Madora
July 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
@Heidi W...

Excellent! That's the way to do it!!! Hairpins forever!