PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Thinning Hair Advice (stress related)

Doxie
July 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'm hoping some one can give me advice or maybe point me in the right direction.

I currently BSL(a bit longer almost waist) length hair. When a came to this site a while back and I measure the diameter of my pony it was about 2.5 inches almost 3. I didn't write this down, I wished I had.

Anyway, my problem is this... I feel that my hair is thinning all over. I really seem to notice it on the top of my head. My pony diamemter hasn't changed any and the part in my hair hasn't gotten wider but the hair it self seems finner. I've also noticed that I have lost some baby hairs. They are only 3-5 inches in length and taper at the ends. I find them after I shower or run my hand threw my hair.

I am almost 100% postive this is all stress related. I had some stress last year and had hair problems. Then at the start of this year I have noticed some new baby hair growth (yay!). But back in March I lost my grandmother, then a week later my cat died, and then on mother's day so did my dog. So I really haven't gotten a chance, until recently, to de-stress and I worry about the toll it has taken on my body.

I just started taking my MSM and botin again and I'm trying hard to change my diet. Any other stress-hair loss tips out there or even some healthy meals that would be extra friendly to my hair? I just don't want to add baldness to my pile of worries.

islandboo
July 10th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I am sorry to hear about all of your losses - and sorry also to know that they have added to your hair worry. Since your pony diameter and part haven't changed much, you should be okay. I suspect you will soon find a nice crop of baby hairs coming along. The big thing will be taking care of your physical and mental health, and it sounds like you are doing that.

DoubleCrowned
July 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I am sorry for your losses.

The entire B-complex should be taken in addition to the biotin because the B vitamins work synergistically. They and vitamin C are sometimes called the stress vitamins. I like to take any vitamins along with the foods they would normally be found in in case there are factors in the food that help them be utilized. Some rich sources of B vitamins are liver, brewer's yeast, wheat germ, and yogurt--you can do a search for others. Vitamin C is normally found in fruits and vegetables.

Calcium and magnesium are important nutrients for nerves, and therefore for a calm feeling. Sweets inhibit the absorption of calcium as well as destroy B vitamins, so, unfortunately, should be avoided now. However, warm milk with a little blackstrap molasses stirred into it would provide calcium and B vitamins and taste a little sweet--plus blackstrap molasses is good for hair growth and color.

My other thought for stress-related hair loss is to investigate the Bach Flower Remedies, which are available at most health food stores. Friends and I have been helped greatly by them during times similar to what you are experiencing.

heidi w.
July 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM
You're not going to go bald. Hair doesn't even grow that way, so it's pretty hard to go bald UNLESS you get a hormonal problem that men have when they go bald.

You do not share your age, so I wonder that some % of this is caused by a chronological age thing which triggers around this zonage a hormonal fluctuation, that occurs with all women around ages 17, 25, 45 and so on. These are times when our overall volume will change from say, teen years to Adult years, and prep into older years.

Stress can most certainly affect volume, as it did with me some years back now.

Besides the Biotin and such, think about Zinc and Hair Vitamins, which traditionally have high volumes of Vitamin A (precluding any concerns with too much Vitamin A such as if you are prone to kidney stones). I can't take these hair vitamins because Vit. A stores in fat cells, and too much builds up and I begin itching from the inside out. I got this diagnosis some time back when I was visiting a great dermatologist and began itching. She said, stop the Vitamin A; it stores the excess in fat cells, and it's building up and you're itching from the inside out (yeah thighs itched -- of all things).

B vitamin can help, especially if you take a B stress vitamin which will have extra B12.

The hair vitamins specifically help prevent excess shedding, mostly, so if you stop, then all this shedding may well occur.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Now if your hair is falling out in handfuls and in chunks or wads, it's time to visit the doctor and get a blood sample taken to check for the 2 forms of thyroid disease: hypo- and hyper-thyroid. Both are well documented on the internet if you want to learn more, and have specific lists of symptoms.

Among women, this is one of the most under-diagnosed medical conditions women experience, especially if younger, because it used to be assumed that women 30 and up got this. It does happen younger, though. And more often than people may realize.

Even a borderline case can cause this problem.

Also, if you have anemia, this means you have too little protein in your diet. Some can do well on vegetarian diets; some others may have issues. A not uncommon issue is to have a little bit too little of protein which can cause a chronic case of hair loss on a much lower scale such that it takes a while to notice the loss. This doesn't mean you can't be vegetarian or vegan: it just means you have to be SURE you're getting sufficient protein.

ETA: Please know that even if you eat meat, you can still have anemia. Blood test can verify. I had anemia in my youth, and a lot of young women experience anemia, vegans/vegetarians/carniverous alike. It's not that uncommon in younger women. END ETA

Also, little known is that in the ramp up to one's mensus, there's a period where the cycle includes, particularly for younger women, removing from bone marrow the necessary red blood cells, if memory is right (I no longer have that book with this tidbit in it, which I would otherwise quote), meaning you suffer a depletion of red blood cells for a short duration, every month, and can have a slight increase for that duration or a few weeks later, in hair loss. It's a peak thing.

For hair loss, usually the incident that causes the loss occurs, and it can take a little while (around 2-3 months) for it to show in the hair. It takes a little time for the hair to react to the situation.

Meanwhile, try to get enough sleep even if that means going to bed a little early, or planning for naps on weekends. Eat well. Generally, try not to schedule too much until things calm down more.....and see how it goes.

heidi w.