PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to make your hair grow faster? something not as thick as castor oil

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have cut my hair to pixie and the longest i have had it was bra stap length. So i have been growing my prixie to chin for 2 months and about 3 weeks now. and in this time I've gotten one trim but I have alot of damage of screwing up with bleach and gah 3/4 of my very short hair is completely straw like from bleach.

This growing my hair thing has escalated into kind of an obsession, and i would so badly like to grow it to my waist, and that would be the longest my hair has been in my life.

If you have short hair, how do you cope with the blues when you think about how long you would like your hair to be?

I started out with using castor oil, and it has turned into something i completely hate doing, it is so thick and a pain to wash out.

I do rub the very small ends with olive oil, sometimes argan oil.

Just recently this month i bought this F.A.S.T. shampoo that really is supposed to make your hair grow faster, and i dont mind using it because its a pleasure to u.

Anything i can put in my hair thats not as thick as castor oil but will help it grow? (dont say coconut oil either)

joesgirl2011
July 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Ok..I have bleached my hair and working on growing a layered bob out since March 2011,..i came here and found the "coconut" oil thing to fix the dry ruined hair i have on the ends..i can't believe it..but I also have seen something on youtube and here like using "cooter" cream..i mean monistat..yes yeast infection cream to grow hair. I only used it once this month and didnt stick with it due to lazyness. But you can search it here or google or you tube. I don't know of anything else really. I'm learning a lot of stuff by reading this forum.. thanks to everyone i'm on my way back to long hair. :)

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 9th, 2011, 08:21 PM
sigh.. i guess i will suck it up and try the coconut oil on the damaged parts. i just really hate using oil, especialy on really short hair cause its so close to ur scalp and i hate having it greasy.

Ok..I have bleached my hair and working on growing a layered bob out since March 2011,..i came here and found the "coconut" oil thing to fix the dry ruined hair i have on the ends..i can't believe it..but I also have seen something on youtube and here like using "cooter" cream..i mean monistat..yes yeast infection cream to grow hair. I only used it once this month and didnt stick with it due to lazyness. But you can search it here or google or you tube. I don't know of anything else really. I'm learning a lot of stuff by reading this forum.. thanks to everyone i'm on my way back to long hair. :)

Bene
July 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Getting from BSL to waist took me about 2 years.

You probably don't want to hear this but: patience is the only thing that makes hair grow.

Even if you manage to find success with a growth aid, it's still going to be YEARS before you get to waist. Check out the threads on Monistat and Mega-tak and vitamins, and even when people report a growth spurt, it's never anything significant that would make waist-length come any faster.

In the end, every bit useful hair growing advice can be summed up with "Eat well, take care of the hair you have, work on preventing further damage, and patience"

Ferine
July 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
If you search Monistat here you'll find lots of people have had great experiences with it. Also food grade Diatomaeous Earth, also called Fossil Flour.

Do you take vitamins/supplements? They can help, and increasing your protein intake, hair is protein.

Ferine

Ferine
July 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mega-Tek, not Mega-Tak, made by Eqyss.

Bene
July 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, Mega-tek :) Came in here to fix the typo, but some fingers are faster than mine.

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks ill try it but since i cut it into the pixie ive been taking biotin and regular vitamins, and its been almost 3 months and i feel like its barely grown.
but i wont let myself get upset and do something stupid like cut it off
because i heard it seems like ur hair just doesnt grow and then before u know it, it grew a whole bunch

Yes, Mega-tek :) Came in here to fix the typo, but some fingers are faster than mine.

Arianwen
July 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Pre-natal vitamins. That's it!

jujube
July 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Lately I've been taking prenatal vitamins and using Monistat on my scalp, and getting faster growth than my average. Lots of people also use Rooibos tea, biotin, MSM, vitamin supplements and castor oil. However the only thing that can really help your hair is patience and good care, and not cutting it too often.

Crazycatlady
July 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Getting from BSL to waist took me about 2 years.

You probably don't want to hear this but: patience is the only thing that makes hair grow.

Even if you manage to find success with a growth aid, it's still going to be YEARS before you get to waist. Check out the threads on Monistat and Mega-tak and vitamins, and even when people report a growth spurt, it's never anything significant that would make waist-length come any faster.

In the end, every bit useful hair growing advice can be summed up with "Eat well, take care of the hair you have, work on preventing further damage, and patience"

I second this. I've been growing out a super short pixie for two years now, and I'm only just below shoulder with lots of old layers. I can't bring myself to sacrifice the length to get rid of the layers. I agree that patience is a must. Also, about the oils---i find it super easy to remove oils, even heavy castor, with vo5 cond. I put it on my oily hair dry, really coat it, then jump in the shower to rinse. After I rinse well with warm water I apply more vo5 and rinse well again. It ALWAYS comes out clean, no oily residue. I'm sure any runny, cheap cond would work, but I like vo5 strawberries and cream. Good luck!

joesgirl2011
July 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I am taking pre-natals too..I get the blues and many days in the last few months..really pissed at the girl who cut all my hair off..it's just below my chin right now..what a mess but the coconut oil is saving it.

I should try the monistat and will probably start that again tomorrow..i just keep looking in the mirror and shaking my head. This part stinks ...i know.

Joliebaby
July 10th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I just cut my waist length hair to neck length, like an inch longer than chin.
The last time it took me 3 years to go from neck to waist, but the first year I cut off so much length.. the second year I didn't cut any and grew a lot, the third year I had small trims. I calculated that I probably cut away nearly third of my growth.
So now I'm not trimming at all!

Also, this last time growing I didn't do anything special, took some vitamins on and off.

Now I'm taking a bunch of vitamins I researched to specifically helpful for hair growth, including Shen Min and marine protein complex (similar to Viviscal) and biotin etc.

I also mixed up an applicator bottle where I put Jamaican black castor oil (it's supposed to be the best castor oil), nettle, rooibos and EO infused oil, and Mega-Tek. I'm also going to experiment in adding sulphur - a tip from another hair care site for women of color. They have some serious hair growing and tons of information going on there, so I lurk :D

I will use this or plain MegaTek every night. Mega Tek is great that it's not greasy at all. This mix is a little greasy, but I try to use just a little. I have a very thin nozzle applicator bottle.
I'll do a heavier pre-oiling before washing, I think.

Eating very healthy with lots of protein and drinking water goes without saying!

Now I only need to get some exercise in, that's the hardest part for me ;)

I need 13 inches to be back at my pre-chop length and my goal is to grow 12 inches in 12 months (though I'd be happy with 10 :D )

I know there are people who will jump in to say that it's not possible blaa blaa, but I know for sure my growth rate can increase a lot by taking specific supplements and doing scalp massages faithfully etc.

But I guess my job is to stick to this for a full year and then we'll see!

Mesmerise
July 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I have decided to try everything possible to get my hair to grow faster! I'm still working on a regimen I can use though... Thinking of supplementation, plus Daktarin (Monistat), Rooibos, and maybe some sort of conditioner/shampoo for hair growth too. Oh, as well as a healthy diet, plenty of water, and regular exercise to really get the blood pumping!

I don't really expect to get 1" a month... but if I could get 3/4" a month I'd be rapt (I think my av is probably about 1/2" a month...it grows okay but not particularly fast).

At the moment, I have length... but I really need to get my ends thickened up. I have a LOT of regrowth that's only a few inches long...and my hair won't really look great until that regrowth has filled in my hair. I'm also growing out hair damage... I don't get lots of split ends and stuff, but my overall hair texture is awful. I was looking at a couple of old pics of me at my parents' house today and my hair looked SOOOO MUCH BETTER...it was smooth and silky and not frizzy at all. I'm not sure my hair is going to look any good until all my old chemical/heat damage is gone... and we're talking several years worth of that.

Sometimes I'm tempted to just chop it off...other times I realise how much I hate my hair short and it will make me feel worse ;).

Nymph
July 10th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Things that have helped it in the past are vitamins, not too much stress, and exercise. I've had some months with one inch growths or more when I can get everything right. Scalp massages didn't seem to do much for me except feel really nice but I know some people say they help.

julliams
July 10th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I have tried a multitude of things in the time I have been on LHC and I can honestly tell you that the only thing you need is time. I have been monitoring my growth rate since September 2009 and whilst it is sometimes more and sometimes less, it averages out at half an inch a month and nothing I have done has made a lick of difference.

Remember your final goal but try to enjoy the stages along the way. Eat a good, healthy diet and be kind to your hair. That's it really. And it's one of those things where "it won't happen overnight, but it will happen" does apply.