PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in a lake, amazing hair.

adiapalic
July 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3584&pictureid=107482
Today at Lake Jocassee. Beautiful mountain view.

I wish I could swim in a sparkling clear lake every single day. We went to Lake Jocassee (Devil's Fork State Park in SC) today... and my hair feels absolutely amazing. The water was so clear, you could see straight to the bottom until it dropped off into the deep. It was a mosaic of teal, sky blue, moving into an emerald green in the deep. Gorgeous water. I was planning on washing my hair when I got home, but it felt so lovely, soft, moisturized and clean that I just left it. My hair hasn't been washed since last Sunday, and it feels like I did some glorious conditioner treatment. I swam with my hair in a french braid, by the way. Undoing it hours after, still damp, but very happily tangle free.

Compare this to to last Sunday when I went swimming in a chlorinated pool with my hair down. Big mistake. It was velcro knots, and took forever to undo the damage. Hair felt like burlap straps.

Anyone else notice their hair feeling magnificent after a swim in clean, cool fresh water?

abbatabba1137
July 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
My hair would feel like this every time I would go swimming in a local natural spring. Complete with mineral treatment and all! Enjoy it!

spidermom
July 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
My hair looks pretty after swimming in the local river (and it has it's share of murk, which must be good for hair).

MagicAndMayhem
July 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Ooo that's a fantastic looking lake. That's pretty neat that you got good hair from lake water, I live next to Lake Erie, but it's definitely not clean or clear. :P Last time I let my hair get soaked by the lake water, I was pulling green algae thiings out for ages!

Liss
July 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Yes!! My hair always feels lovely after swimming in fresh water.

And you have just reminded me that I was going to search for a purifyer to attach to my shower nozzle - cheers!

Sama
July 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes! I actually noticed the same thing about my hair when I took a swim in our local lake over 4th of July weekend. We should bottle the stuff - then we could spread the wealth to all our long-haired friends who don't have the luxury of taking a swim in a lake whenever they'd like. :thumbsup:

jujube
July 9th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I don't swim in lakes because I'm scared of fish (I am!), but chlorinated water does make my hair yuuuucky.

Monkey962
July 9th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I remember going swimming in a NH mountain lake everyday for a weekend at a friend's lakehouse. The water definitely made my hair different, but not entirely good or bad. It sort of developed a waxy feel, such that in the light it probably wouldn't have been as shiny. It also seemed to retain it's moisture a lot better, but as a result it was kinda frizzy as if it were really humid. My scalp felt really good though, but perhaps that's just because I'm used to swimming equating to nasty chlorinated pool water.

Sunny_side_up
July 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oh wow i'd love to do that! It looks so beautiful there. Great it made your hair wonderful too:)

New2NH2012
July 11th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I don't swim in lakes because I'm scared of fish (I am!), but chlorinated water does make my hair yuuuucky.

I thought for sure that I was the only person on the planet that was scared of fish! :disbelief: DH thinks I'm crazy... but I grew up in Phoenix, where I didn't really GO to lakes, I went to the pool. So i think this is where I acquired the phobia of going near lakes because of the fish... however, I just signed a lease to move to a condo on a lake and think after reading this, I may just go in and out really quick a couple times a week. :)

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I've never gone swimming in a freshwater body of water. Only saltwater 'round here. Guess that is what's next on my list! ;)

linnepinne
July 11th, 2011, 01:33 AM
This is my experience also. Both hair and skin feels amazing after swimming in lakes. Never tried rivers though, but I guess it should be the same thing. Now I know what I'm doing after work tonight :)

Signe
July 11th, 2011, 01:38 AM
ha! this thread is great!i have only washed my hair in fresh river water for the last few weeks....no shampoo or condish...and it is feeling and looking gorgeous. planning a trip down to another river today with dbf....hooray!

Alaia
July 11th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I went swimming in a river when I trekked in South America and my hair was soft, but it had a coated feel and loads of grit in it. :lol: It was a fast-flowing river and there was loads of sand being washed down it. But it was bliss, after a long, hot day.

Cania
July 11th, 2011, 03:27 AM
You're so lucky, our rivers here are a bit icky and I can't imagine they'd do my hair much good!

gretchen_hair
July 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
We have a lake that we go to, my hair always feels so nice afterwards, the last time we went I didn't wash it for 3 days. :o

My sister, her hubs and my BF say they feel itchy afterwards and shower quickly, for some reason it doesn't make me itchy at all, it makes my skin feel softer and my hair felt fabulous.

My hair looks pretty after swimming in the local river (and it has it's share of murk, which must be good for hair).

In2wishin
July 11th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I swim in lakes as much as possible. I grew up with a 20 minute bike ride to a wonderful lake and have never liked pools because of it. I haven't really noticed the water doing great things for my hair but it definitely hasn't done any damage.

wvgemini
July 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM
We used to go camping right along the Greenbrier River in WV quite often and we would always swim in the river. My hair would be so so soft after. Hmm ... I need to go camping again soon, lol.

racrane
July 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
My hair feels so nice after swimming in a local lake in Wisconsin. It's so wavy and soft.

In2wishin
July 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
My hair feels so nice after swimming in a local lake in Wisconsin. It's so wavy and soft.

Pewaukee, Nagawicka, or Oconomowoc ? ;)

jel
July 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I've never swum in a lake, and the last time I got into a river I was 10 years old! It's the sea for me, I'm afraid.

I would love to try a lake, but I can't find a convenient one - not far and not freezing!

mysticfishtales
July 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Twice a week I am in the river. My hair always has the best waves after fresh water soaks.

Kome
July 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Oh, that looks so lovely... almost enough for me to give up the beach and move somewhere like that instead.... almost...... :P

Keller1128
July 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I don't remember the last time I went swimming in a lake but after this post, I want to try it again! I must admit I was looking for lakes on my way home from work today :p

owlathena
July 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM
My hair loves weekends at my family's lake house! We dont have running water, so slopping conditioner on my hair between swims makes my hair very happy!