PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle hair

MasCat
July 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hia longhairs!

I ride a motorbike (a Kawasaki Ninja EX250 for all those interested ;)) and because of that I encounter some hair problems, and I was thinking maybe some of you might help me out?

I wear a helmet (of course), so I can't have any sort of updo. Only a simple french braid or no braid at all will do.
I notice some things that tear against my hair: the helmet, the collar of my jacket (the protective jacket has a high collar, so my neck is protected.

I know that I can reduce hair problems by wearing a balaclava, but the real problem is: when my hair is under the jacket - I don't feel comfortable, and I am worried about the pressure of the backpack and the jacket... When my hair is pulled out it tangles against my collar, and it if is not braided it angles in the wind...

Any tips?
(PS. sorry moderators, but all the other helmet threads didn't seem like a place to post my message ;))

Ella Menneau P.
July 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hia longhairs!

I ride a motorbike (a Kawasaki Ninja EX250 for all those interested ;)) and because of that I encounter some hair problems, and I was thinking maybe some of you might help me out?

I wear a helmet (of course), so I can't have any sort of updo. Only a simple french braid or no braid at all will do.
I notice some things that tear against my hair: the helmet, the collar of my jacket (the protective jacket has a high collar, so my neck is protected.

I know that I can reduce hair problems by wearing a balaclava, but the real problem is: when my hair is under the jacket - I don't feel comfortable, and I am worried about the pressure of the backpack and the jacket... When my hair is pulled out it tangles against my collar, and it if is not braided it angles in the wind...

Any tips?
(PS. sorry moderators, but all the other helmet threads didn't seem like a place to post my message ;))

My sister rides, and she found a leather braid wrap to tie up the hair outside the helmet.

pixi_stix
July 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I wore a hair glove when I was on a bike/trike. http://www.hairglove.com/catalog/hair-gloves

I would put my hair in an English braid first. so the ends didn't fly about and tangle.

peacecat3
July 9th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I love tucking my hair into my snood, securing the snood at my temples with those snappy V-shaped barrettes, and donning my full-faced helmet when I ride with the old man. He's not a fan of the way the snood looks, but it keeps my hair safe, and I can even have it loose whenever we reach our desination. :thumbsup:

pepperminttea
July 10th, 2011, 04:59 AM
What about Torrin's Harley braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnBEVd0gOg)? :)

kyandii
July 10th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Nothing really useful to add, I second Torrins Harley braid though.
Kawasaki ninja :cool: nice bikes.

MasCat
July 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM

ArienEllariel
July 10th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Oooh. Just looked up the bike. Nice. Very nice.:thumbsup:

I second/third/whatever the leather braid wrap things and/or Torrin's Harley braid.

luthein
July 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
What year? Is it the old styling or the new redesign? :)

I lovelovelove my motorcycle helmet liner. http://www.2uptouring.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx It keeps my hair completely contained outside my helmet and protected from the wind. also, I got a charmuse liner, so the helmet slides on easier. I wish I found it sooner. I do a lot of long-distance riding and my hair was wrecked in a braid.

Pantha
July 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
This seems to be a really common problem.

Personally I loosley plait my mid thigh straight hair so as it isnt a hard lump and were it down the back of my top, it only works if I plait it loose so it isnt uncomfortable with the pressure of my bag.

My brother refuses to do such things and instead leaves his waist length very curly ponytail outside his jacket and then has to spend like an hour brushing the knots out. Personally I havent got the pacience to spend that long attempting a detangle and obviously care too much about my hair to do that.

I have considered one of the leather hair wraps but seeing as I've always tucked my hair I'm not sure I would find it comfortable having my hair out.

BelleBot
July 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I usually do two braids and keep the braids down the front of my jacket instead of at the back as it's far comfier. Plus having braided pigtails looks cute when I take my helmet off.
@ luthein Those helmet liners look really good, I'll look into them. :)

Nice little bike you've got btw, I considered one when I first got my license but couldn't afford it at the time, they're such a nice size. How long have you been riding? I've got a Suzuki SV650S in candy copper at the moment. I love motorbikes :D

kdaniels8811
July 10th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have a Triumph America nd wear a snood on occasionbut swear by a style saver scarf. No, I have no affiliation, it is just a great satin scarf that keeps my hair where it belongs and does as it is advertised. At about $15 they are an inexpensive way to keep you hair from being flattened.

www.stylesaverscarf.com

Keller1128
July 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I wear a 'do rag and braid my hair. If your hair is long enough you could pull your braid to the front so it doesn't get stuck in your backpack.