PDA

View Full Version : Is extending washes possible for everyone?

Guenhwyvar
July 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have started extending my washes for 2-3 days. I have been doing this for a month+. I washed my hair one night and the next night my mum said "If you let your hair get greasy like that it will make your spots worse". I really dont have many spots, but I was surpried she noticed my hair was greasy

(I started getting spots again because I started eating dairy/chocolate again after 3 years dairy free - dairy DOES cause spots, I had almost flawless white skin before dairy).

My hair was tied up. I used to wash my hair every night and I was constantly keeping up with it getting greasy. It often was less than 24 hours from a wash.

Now it still does the same quite often. Washed once every 3 days just means its greasy for 2 days. It doesnt seem to be improving.

Mum said she tried the same thing when she was my age, but some people just make too much oil. I like washing it less, but is it not going to get any better? Do I make to much natural oil?

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
You have to try and extend the washing days a little faster i suppose. If you go cold turkey into 1 wash a week, after the 3rd week, you'll be seeing less grease, and the greasies should be gone by the end of the month. Depends.
If you don't want to do that, start with baby steps by adding one more day of no wash and put up with the greasies. It should calm down after a few weeks.
When i used to wash my hair every other day or every 3 days, my hair was ultra greasy, besides the fact i didn't use conditioner. Now that i go once a week or more, it's really soft and not greasy.

krissykins
July 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
It's not possible for everyone, but I think it can work for you. I've been told that when your hormones stop raging, it gets easier. But right now, it sounds like you're going through an adjustment period. Stick it out! I'm sure you'll love washing your hair less :D

I'm on Day 3 already and it feels like what used to be the end of Day 1 before LHC. Woo hoo!

Red_Wednesday
July 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
You have to try and extend the washing days a little faster i suppose. If you go cold turkey into 1 wash a week, after the 3rd week, you'll be seeing less grease, and the greasies should be gone by the end of the month. Depends.
If you don't want to do that, start with baby steps by adding one more day of no wash and put up with the greasies. It should calm down after a few weeks.
When i used to wash my hair every other day or every 3 days, my hair was ultra greasy, besides the fact i didn't use conditioner. Now that i go once a week or more, it's really soft and not greasy.

Good advice:)!! It sure helped me:D:thumbsup:!!

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
It's not possible for everyone, but I think it can work for you. I've been told that when your hormones stop raging, it gets easier. But right now, it sounds like you're going through an adjustment period. Stick it out! I'm sure you'll love washing your hair less :D

I'm on Day 3 already and it feels like what used to be the end of Day 1 before LHC. Woo hoo!

Completely true...:o Oh those awkward days when puberty hit. My head was an oil pit, i could provide enough grease to fry food i swear. Very gross.

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Good advice:)!! It sure helped me:D:thumbsup:!!
Woot woot! Glad it helped!

But if stretching doesn't work at all, no worries, whatever your hair likes :)

teela1978
July 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Never worked for me. I wash every-other-dayish, my hair is fine. Some people do fine when stretching washes, a lot of people just can't do it unless they're willing to walk around with seriously oily hair.

ravenreed
July 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM
No. Not possible for me. I have tried everything but going WO or SO.

luthein
July 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
It wasn't possible for me until I tried dry shampoo. It extends me 1-2 more days.

ArienEllariel
July 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Well I've heard that it isn't possible for all but it seems to work for me. Granted by the end of day 2/beginning of day 3 my hair looks oily but that's ok. I put it up then. Not an issue. I wash my bangs daily if I'm not clipping them back and out of the way.

Eire
July 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I do WO wash with ACV rinse. But I still wash it nearly every day since I exercise daily and live in a really hot environment. My roots used to be greasy by the time I needed a shower by the next day when I used shampoo every day, though, so the WO definitely helped reduce that.

Chanterelle
July 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM
For me, it mostly depends on how clean the air is. When I'm living in a big city I was my hair every 3 days (I hate the look of greasy hair). When I lived in a small village once I went 2 weeks without washing and my hair was perfectly clean.

yukinohana
July 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I used to have to shampoo every day because of the greasies....I switched to WO, and never seem to have grease problems. However, I still wash every day because my hair is easier to detangle when wet:shrug:

spidermom
July 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I became accustomed to having slightly oily hair; that's the only adjustment that happened over here. I used to wash every other day, now every 3rd or 4th day (unless I get really dirty gardening or something like that).

Chiara
July 9th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I did WO for around a month, and after that my hair seemed to get a lot less greasy, so now I wash with shampoo weekly. However, in between, I might do a WO wash (or two in summer!).
I actually find that my canopy stays quite 'clean' looking, while the hair that comes in contact with my skin starts to look a bit stringy. So that is hidden better by wearing my hair down!

nocojojo
July 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I went without traditional shampoo for a year. Let's see - CO, BS/ACV, shampoo bars, WO. CO and BS for several months each. Absolutely no success. By midday of day two I am a greasy mess. I'm in my forties; my skin is super dry. I live in an area with humidity often in the single digits.

I would love to stretch but cannot. I've decided not to feel bad about it.

Raiscake
July 11th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Perhaps you can try a gradual change? Go for every other day at first, then when you've adjusted, push it to every 3 days, and so on.

I started with every other day. By the end of the second day, I was a greaseball and couldn't wait to wash it out. Eventually, my hair adjusted and I could go for two days without greasies. I upgraded to every three days and I'm back to that crazy adjustment period, but I know my hair will be back to normal again.

It also helps if you keep your hair up during the greasy day. It's a lot less bothersome.

Alaia
July 11th, 2011, 06:00 AM
If it helps, 19 is apparently one of the ages where you get a massive hormone adjustment.

I lost half my hair and was really greasy on my scalp and face.

Keep at it! It should settle down.

rheostaticsfan
July 11th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I'm trying to go from every day to every second. It's been 6 weeks so far and I my scalp hasn't adjusted at all.

I'm thinking of adding a CO wash on the day between shampoo washes. Or maybe at least a WO...Maybe I should try 36 hours instead of 48 between shampoo.

I used to wash every second day until about 10 years ago when my DH made me feel gross/like I had a hygiene problem. Now it's like I'm a hormonal teen again. Total greaseball.

Pumpkin
July 11th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Maybe every other day for me is possible, otherwise, I wash my hair everyday. Believe me, I have tried going for days, but the itching and oil are just too much for me to put up with. Every head of hair is different. Best of luck on your hair journey!! :)

Olafwa
July 11th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hmm I never really had a problem. When I went cold turkey and started to wash my hair once a week, my hair loved it. These days I go even longer sometimes. I noticed the thing that makes it greasy the most is pulling my hands through it. My hand oils and hair don't mix. If I don't touch it, I can go an almost two weeks without a wash. I also noticed, I can have my hair greasy and no one notices. I think the darker your hair the easier it is to hide. My blonde friend's hair gets greasy, and everyone notices the first day.

Anje
July 11th, 2011, 08:18 AM
It works beautifully for me, but I need to not use shampoo to do it. My scalp reacts to just about anything drying by greasing up faster. Actually, so does my face....

ETA: In keeping with that theme, my hair tends to be a lot oilier in the winter than the summer. I think the dryness triggers it to produce more oil.

Lianna
July 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Doesn't work for me. I think climate has a lot to do with it too, being in a tropical climate I rather wash my hair often and smell good and feel fresh all the time. Plus I'm overweight and I workout daily...so there you go. I'm doing the public a favor (kidding :D). Maybe.

LunaMoon
July 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Doesn't work for me. I think climate has a lot to do with it too, being in a tropical climate I rather wash my hair often and smell good and feel fresh all the time. Plus I'm overweight and I workout daily...so there you go. I'm doing the public a favor (kidding :D). Maybe.
:rollin:I was about to say that. I have a twin sister living in a very damp place and she washes her hair everyday (but she has a very good water over there). I can stay without washing my hair for almost 1 week if I wish, but I like to CO every other day just for the feeling of fresh, clean hair. I just shampoo twice a month now.

archel
July 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Definitely not working for me! I am in a hot, humid climate in the spring/summer and I'm finding I can't just conditioner wash, either. Sad!!

However, we have very cold, dry winters (love having 4 distinct seasons), so I am willing to bet those methods may work a little better when it's super dry and we're jamming the heat.

So yeah I have to switch hair and face products depending on the season. It's a little maddening when in transition because it's easy to accidentally wind up with oily hair and face and feeling embarrassed about it, heheh!

Laurenji
July 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I used to wash my hair every day. Now I wash it every other day. That's about as far as I've been able to stretch it without it feeling horribly greasy.

I will say, though, doing a WO wash in between helps, especially if you exercise or get sweaty. The other thing that helps, as someone mentioned, is not touching your hair. When I leave my hair down, I mindlessly run my fingers through it all day, and then it looks awful and greasy by the end of the day.

longcurlygirl<3
July 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I can go up to 5 days (I was sick, so mom would not let me wash my hair). And I used my first shampoo bar by Hennasooq and it felt good, now I am on day 3 and about to wash because I cut the grass yesterday, and it feels dirty. Since the curlier your hair is the more you have to wash less. I read that on a post before but it depends your skin [dry, combination, oily etc] but try just tie your hair back and spritz water from a water bottle, usually solves the greasy feeling :)

heidihug
July 11th, 2011, 09:56 AM
As others here have noted, it completely depends upon your body's chemistry, your type of hair and some other factors, like how much you handle it. Lots of people are able to stretch washings for weeks. My hair looks and feels best when I wash at least every three days. Do what you feel works best for you. Stretching washings is NOT a must-do for a long-haired person.