PDA

View Full Version : Tips for dry ends?

elessard
July 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hi all :) My hair is growing out, it's just a smidge above bra length. My hair is very healthy, shiny and doing well but about 2 inches on the ends could use more shine/moisture. I am not chopping 2 inches off, nope, not happening lol I'd regret that. So I need advice please on what you think would help replenish the ends? At home I have mayo, oil, coconut oil, conditioners and just wondering what you have had the best/fastest experience with? What you used, how long to keep it in? Thank you all so much :D

Henrietta
July 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have same problem and I discovered olive oil helps. I mix it with castor oil. Sometimes I'm lazy but generally I keep a DROP or two, literally, of this mixture on my hair all the time. This is enough to work and still not too heavy:) I apply every night before going to bed and every morning before making an updo.
After two weeks I can see an improvement ;)

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM
It depends on what your hair really needs and wants. Mayo can easily overload your hair with protein :p Maybe clarify, do a mayo treatment and then do a deep conditioning treatment and seal the ends with some oil?

Siiri
July 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I apply leave-in conditioner after washing my hair and find that it helps with detangling and dry ends. You can use also regular conditioner as a leave-in conditioner, I think they are basically same stuff. You could try applying first a small amount of conditioner and then some oil on your ends to seal in the moisture. Many people have had luck with coconut oil and olive oil, you just need to try them out to see if they work for you.

RitaCeleste
July 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Well, today I used a mix of honey, olive oil and conditioner and left it on for over two hours. I ended up having to add some water to get it to cover all the hair. You could do just the ends and see if it helps. The longer I leave the mix on, the more flexible my hair is. Sometimes if the hair just isn't soaking up oils and conditioners you need to clarify it. I always think of suave daily clarifying for this but there are recipes with baking soda if I'm remembering right.

elessard
July 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
these tips are all so awesome (no pun on the 'tips') lol Thank you :D

krissykins
July 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
What exactly do your ends feel like right now? Some great tips have been provided, but maybe your ends want something in particular.

kidari
July 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I like to make sure I oil the ends with coconut oil before I wash asides from the deep conditioning treatments, protein treatments, heavy oilings, and clarifying. I would recommend you also take a look at the Fox's shea butter thread. I'm thinking of testing out a small batch this week.

Jenn of Pence
July 9th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I definitely caution the use of protein. For some people it's wonderful, but for a lot of people (like me!), it makes hair super dry and crunchy. What I suggest for dry ends is to clarify...remove anything that might be on your ends making them dry, if that's the problem. Then, I would first do moisture treatments with oils, butters, aloe, honey, stuff like that, to add moisture, if that's the problem (are you familiar with Snowymoon's moisture treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) (SMT)?). See how your ends feel after that. At that point, if you wanted to do a protein treatment to see how your hair likes them, go for it! Be sure to compare your hair before and after, and always be sure to super moisturize whenever using proteins. :)

ETA: For anyone curious about proteins, I'll also attach a link that someone was generous to share with me; it's a list of common proteins used in hair products, because I always forget and I really have to avoid pretty much all of them with my hair.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-used-in-hair-care-products-proteins

MissHair
July 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Sorry to bug in like this but I have a problem with really dry ends aswell... The only thing I got at home is coconut butter in my fridge and loads of jojoba oil.

Could I possibly melt the coconut butter to oil base and mix it with jojoba oil and leave it in?

joesgirl2011
July 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM
The fastest thing that worked for me..because i have/had dry blonde ends was coconut oil. i have used it just over a week and its turned my hair completely around..oh and I also started just Co'ing my hair (conditioning) no more shampoo at this point. I use white rain coconut and white rain energizing citrus (moisturizing). My hair lays down now and frizz from hair color is waaay better. Breakage is way down..I have a long way to go but thanks to everyone here i figured out how to save/grow my hair.

Jenn of Pence
July 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry to bug in like this but I have a problem with really dry ends aswell... The only thing I got at home is coconut butter in my fridge and loads of jojoba oil.

Could I possibly melt the coconut butter to oil base and mix it with jojoba oil and leave it in?

I think you could do just the coconut butter, just the jojoba, or the mixture of the two, any way you like it. :)

Seeshami
July 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I love Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz Serum Sleek and Shine. It has apricot and Avocado oil in it.

twilight_faerie
July 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I wanted to mention that it really helps to use a nice, thick, super moisturizing conditioner. I've always had a problem with dry ends, and I recently switched from using VO5 conditioner (a thin, light conditioner) to Sally Beauty's GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm (a much thicker conditioner), and the results have been amazing. Switching to CO also really helped my dry ends problem - I think shampoo was really drying out my hair.

SoulOfTheSea
July 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
When I'm in a rush and don't have time to do a deeper oil treatment on my ends, I just put some jojoba oil on my ends, and that softens my ends up big time :) Then I can just do my hair however and go on with my day :D oh and if it looks too greasy, I just brush my ends out a little with my BBB to spread out the oil :)

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I used Spectrum Naturals Coconut Oil for use on hair and skin for well over a decade to keep the length in shape: shiny, moist. That's what I'd recommend -- coconut oil on that portion of your length.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I wanted to mention that it really helps to use a nice, thick, super moisturizing conditioner. I've always had a problem with dry ends, and I recently switched from using VO5 conditioner (a thin, light conditioner) to Sally Beauty's GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm (a much thicker conditioner), and the results have been amazing. Switching to CO also really helped my dry ends problem - I think shampoo was really drying out my hair.

I've been using Biolage's Conditioning Balm for well over a decade. I still use it. I have vats of it in my supply cabinet. I buy big when it goes on sale. (Walmart carries it and more hair dressers are now carrying it too). I find that the look-alike version at Sally's is actually a little less thick than the real deal.

VO5 conditioner...you have to be careful because it has a lot of protein in it, I find. For some too much protein can be problematic.

heidi w.

layla<33
July 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
mine is the same way sometimes :rolleyes: to fix it all i used was Aussies three minute miracle (leave it in at least fifteen or twenty minutes instead of three :eyebrows:) and to prevent that from happening i use the 3MM once a week and use a leave in on the ends right after washing while my hair is wet ;) good luck:D

FB
July 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lots of good advice and tips. My ends recently have been getting dryer and breaking off. I've used oils but they leave my hair heavy and it gets dirty faster (my opinion). But I think I will try the Biolage balm, does it also smooth out frizz overall or do you use it just on the ends???

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Biolage Conditioning Balm is a conditioner to be applied to all the hair length while the hair is wet with warm water.

If your hair is breaking off, your protein balance in your products could be too much or too little. (Usually too much.)

Here's how.

A given product or brand designs their balance of protein via the shampoo and conditioner, combined, assuming you're going to use their line for both.

BUT you could, as occurred with me decades back now, apply say, oh a leave-in conditioner, and hair can suddenly and inexplicably break off in droves, because with this added product, it tipped my protein balance into the too much categroy. I ceased using the leave-in, and lo. Breakage stopped.

This is anothe reason you make one change at a time, giving it time to work (or not), so you can unequivocally then know the true culprit of a given problem.

IF you're mixing and matching products, you could be having too much protein that makes ends break off. You could be using a product line that in any given of its products has too much protein. This is why quite a few people have had troubles with VO5, especially its deep oil conditioner. It's filled with protein. Or bottles, such as some of the Burt's Bees line says...shampooo "With protein". Beware.

I, for decades, used Biolage Conditioning Balm alongside its Hydrating Shampoo, as a package. I don't use the hydrating shampoo on my top of head hair, only on the length. I use something different on my scalp hair because of my Seborrheic Dermatitus.

heidi w.

bunzfan
July 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I had this problem myself recently and thought the only solution was a trim and they took nearly 2 inches off:( but i've been trying different oils recently on just damp hair, a tiny drop of coconut or grape seed oil works wonders on my wavy hair i think it seals in the moisture.

BabyRay33
July 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
mine is the same way sometimes :rolleyes: to fix it all i used was Aussies three minute miracle (leave it in at least fifteen or twenty minutes instead of three :eyebrows:) and to prevent that from happening i use the 3MM once a week and use a leave in on the ends right after washing while my hair is wet ;) good luck:D

Me too! I was on a protein overload from heading to the salon for a trim...and I gave the stylist a chance with some more expensive Redken Extreme products. But my hair didn't like it at all! It was frizzy, particularly on my dyed ends.

But the Aussie stuff cleared it right up and I am back to no more expensive Redken stuff...:D

FB
July 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Heidi w. thanks for your insight and experience. I have been using many, many different products at once perhaps that is the problem on top of the protein.

Has anyone tried the Nexxus Pro-Mend line??? Is it laced with tons of protein too??