PDA

View Full Version : What on Earth... (warning - icky)

Darscilla
March 13th, 2008, 12:17 PM
So, I just came across this (http://www.funpic.hu/en.picview.php?id=33879&c=-1&s=dd&p=1) and quite frankly I cannot imagine how this person's hair came to be like that. A 21st century 'polish plait'? But why is it blonde and rectangular at the bottom? It must have taken years for it to get in that state. Surely it must be a health hazard?

egg99
March 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
My goodness! That is hideous! It looks like it's been caked in something like oil or tar or something.

Feisty Redhead
March 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
:run:

I'm speechless... and that rarely happens to me...

Xandergrammy
March 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Looks to me like Dreads Gone Wrong! :scared:

On a serious level, though, I can't imagine this person's thought processes. I hope they get the help they need.

Neon Gloss
March 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
This actually made me gag!

I'd shave it all off... because that doesn't even look like hair! How can somebody live like that? Well I doubt that's intentional, but if it is, whoa!

Áine
March 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Goodness. That is horribly disconcerting. Thanks for the warning, though I plowed ahead anyway. I nearly lost my breakfast, curiosity got the best of me.

lora410
March 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
That is just scary :couch:

dancingbarefoot
March 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I've seen hair like that on a number of homeless people around town, actually. I'm sure they don't like it, but they don't have access to regular bathing and can't groom as they'd like. :twocents:

Kirin
March 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I was just going to say..... there's no telling who this person is, or how their lives are, it seems they've been without care for a long time. The "blonde ends" could be ends that have straggled into a dumpster (i'm serious) touching disposed of bleaches or god knows what.

I dont think this is an "average" person who just let their hair go, but someone with extenuating circumstances. I'm not disgusted.... I feel more pity than anything else.

Anje
March 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I've seen hair like that on a number of homeless people around town, actually. I'm sure they don't like it, but they don't have access to regular bathing and can't groom as they'd like. :twocents:
I think I'd give myself a haircut with my pocketknife long before it got to that point, though. Surely even a homeless person who won't go to a shelter in bad weather still has access to sharp objects...

az_sweetie01
March 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Oh. My. Stars.

That is something else!

Islandgrrl
March 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Oh, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Darscilla
March 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Oh, yes, I didn't believe this person intended their hair to get in that state. It just seems to me it must have taken a very long time to get like that, as in years. The person has clothes and must have eaten in that time, so you would think someone would have offered to help them out when it got to a condition where it was so unsanitary. I can quite believe it could have come about as a result of sleeping rough. I hope no-one thinks I was ridiculing this person, I was just absolutely shocked.

suicides_eve
last quote taken from that page:

"That is, absolutely, without a doubt, the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. "It" has probably NEVER taken a bath. Note the liquid stain on the bench; it probably pees in it's paints too. Yuuuuuuuuuck !!!!"

RMAO!!

SHELIAANN1969
I was homeless when I lived in California, and I always carried shampoo, soap etc, and I DID wash my hair in public restroom sinks, or used the beach showers, it was cold and uncomfortable but I WAS clean.

I think some homeless people have certain mental illness issues and dont take care of their hygeine properly.

Homeless or not....Y U C K - O - R A M A !!!!

mugglemomof3
March 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I find that photo horribly sad. And it makes me quite ill when I read some of the degrading, mean, and tacky things some people will say or post when they stumble across such a sight.

I know this is a hair site, and I understand how some of us will react when we think of the sad state of what could have been beautiful hair. I just hope we can keep our comments respectful (for lack of a better word).

I'm just sayin'

maskedrose
March 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
First off - that is disgusting!

Second - it may not have been unintentional or caused by lack of access to shampoo, scissors, etc. I sat behind a young man in a large lecture class last quarter who had hair that was very similiar - a complete greasy matt of hair all the way down to mid-thigh. It stank and was gross to look at, but he seemed to think it was super cool :/ To each his/her own, I suppose, but like someone else said - I would cut my hair with a pocket knife before it got that bad!!

alys
March 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I can't image how lonely or sad this person is. Can't imagine the things her/his eyes have seen, the places this person has had to lay her/his head....
It's plain to see that this person's hair is the farthest thing from his/her mind...Maybe a meal is more important...Someone to talk to.

A sarcastic 'cheers' to the captionist. I'm sure I can find something better to do with my time than dog a homeless person, whose path and fortune I know nothing about.

kwaniesiam
March 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
That looks like dreadlocks that formed together into one big mass and caked with mud. Very common in the middle ages in some countries since they didn't take care of their hair like we do now. Flowy medieval hair is mostly fairy tales or part of the upper-class. Seeing it today is a bit ick though...please keep in mind it could also be a religious thing, associated with Rastafarianism or Nazarites, but even still the mud is icky, at least rinse it out.

Lixie
March 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Oh my goodness, it must be so uncomfortable to carry the weight of weight around all the time. I can only imagine how low somebody must be feeling to let their hair become so horribly matted. :(

Catladyintown
March 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I find that photo horribly sad. And it makes me quite ill when I read some of the degrading, mean, and tacky things some people will say or post when they stumble across such a sight.

I know this is a hair site, and I understand how some of us will react when we think of the sad state of what could have been beautiful hair. I just hope we can keep our comments respectful (for lack of a better word).

I'm just sayin'

I totally agree with you mugglemomof3. It is sad that we don't have more compassion in this world. I don't care if this person hair is by choice or misfortune. But to make fun of this person is just wrong. I believe in not throwing stones.

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
There is a girl who shops at the store where I work who has hair like that but just shoulder length. She has it that way on purpose because she thinks it's cool, anti-consumerist, and counter-culture.

alys
March 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
on the flip side, this person's hair is MUCH longer than mine :)
I guess in that respect they are better off

MissHair
March 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Imagine how many bacterias and insects live in there.. Not to mention the SMELL of it.... Why do people hang on to "crap" like this? All I can think of is the hygiene..

Koala Kim
March 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I totally agree with you mugglemomof3. It is sad that we don't have more compassion in this world. I don't care if this person hair is by choice or misfortune. But to make fun of this person is just wrong. I believe in not throwing stones.
I couldn't agree more with you and Muggles. :flower:

We don't know the circumstances behind the hair and the person.
Does the sight of this person's hair shock me? Yes. Do I find it funny? Absolutely not. Who am I to judge? I have not walked in that person's shoes.

I hate those sites that post pictures obviously without the person's permission and then tear them apart.
One can only hope karma finds them.

Eboshi
March 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Thank you mugglemomof3.

People, can we find it in our hearts to be more compassionate to people in unfortunate circumstances and not "pile on" with sneers ?

FrannyG
March 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I too found this photo terribly sad. It hurts my heart to hear people being snide about it. Where is the compassion?

squiggyflop
March 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
oh my god is that person homeless! oh thats so sad.. i bet she/he cant afford scissors... sorry i didnt read the whole thread but the posts i did read were pretty mean.. what if the persons blind or mentally challanged or just doesnt have a place to bathe...

Silver & Gold
March 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Geez . . . I have ONE bad hair day and now the whole world knows!

FrannyG
March 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you, Silver & Gold, for lightening the mood. :flower: :cheese:

enfys
March 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
That person clearly needs help, and I hope since that picture was taken they received it. Regardless of if they realised they needed help.
An ungroomed person makes a sad sight, I always think it's a sign that they really have given up on themselves. It's natural to want to be clean and hygenic, very few people of sound mind (and living conditions) want to be any other way.

basak
March 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
It looks like they have been using their hair as a pillow.

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've seen homeless people who made good use of public restrooms to keep up with an adequate level of grooming. I've also seen some like the unfortunate soul pictured. I assume a level of mental health issues or drug/alcohol dependence that I wouldn't wish on an enemy.

GlassEyes
March 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
You guys act as if this is irrevocably real. It's quite possibly photoshopped to look like that.

However, that doesn't mean that I think it couldn't possibly be real, but I don't think it is. If it is though, it is horrifying because no one should live in a state (or have to, I should say) where their hair, their clothes and body aren't clean. Sure, some people forego the option, but for those who don't have the choice it's awful. I think so, at least.

Gemma
March 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I think I'd give myself a haircut with my pocketknife long before it got to that point, though. Surely even a homeless person who won't go to a shelter in bad weather still has access to sharp objects...

Maybe they do, but maybe their appearance isn't what concerns them?

If I ended up homeless, I doubt I'd care one bit about what I looked like or how others perceived me. I'd be so miserable.

Darscilla
March 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Let me say again, please don't think I was posting this as a freak show. I was shocked that someone was that way (for whatever reason) in what appears to be a western country in the 21st century. As was mentioned, it was the kind of sight more common in medieval times. It was the extreme nature of the hair I was in disbelief over, and I thought other hair fanatics may have found it of interest.
I also agree with some of the posters who have pointed out some people may have hair like that as a 'statement', and the person in the photo may not be too happy about being pitied.
And as for the quote... it is a prime example of the average mentality of the people who comment on the photos over at Funpic, I'm afraid. I visit to look at the animal pictures, but there's a good portion of the site that's NSW and it tends to attract the wrong crowd.

sweetkandi
March 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Eeewww how did this happen??? I think it just gave me a headache! :eek:

AquaViolet1973
March 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I haven't read through all the responses yet, but could the picture possibly have been photoshopped? The bottom half of the hair doesn't even look real... If it is real, then :scared: :puke: :bigeyes:

wintersun99
March 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
So, I just came across this (http://www.funpic.hu/en.picview.php?id=33879&c=-1&s=dd&p=1) and quite frankly I cannot imagine how this person's hair came to be like that. A 21st century 'polish plait'? But why is it blonde and rectangular at the bottom? It must have taken years for it to get in that state. Surely it must be a health hazard?

I would LOVE to hear what the cats on What Not To Wear would have to say about that! :)

ChloeDharma
March 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I would LOVE to hear what the cats on What Not To Wear would have to say about that! :)

LOL yes.

There seems to be something deliberate about it, like the way its shaped and i dunno, is that clay used to hold it in that shape? I wondered if its used to rest on maybe? But yes it's shocking to look at and does challenge peoples comfort zone so maybe it IS a political statement.

That **** on the page dehumanising the person and referring to them as "it" needs to grow up and get a life if they can be that bothered by somebody elses appearance.

kwaniesiam
March 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
The more I look at it the more it seems either photoshopped or else dreadlocks matted into one big beavertail.

Celebrian
March 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It's terrible if it's real (and it just might be).

I don't know anything about 'photoshopping' but someone here must do...

If you flick through some of the other photo's - they certainly do look as if they've been tampered with... Is it possible that this is one such 'photo?

honeybunch
March 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Whoa. Just whoa.

carloota
March 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
That's just not right. Can we say "mange" boys and girls?

dancingbarefoot
March 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Surely even a homeless person who won't go to a shelter in bad weather still has access to sharp objects...

Won't go? Often it's not a matter of choice. The shelters are overflowing and frequently turn people away. It would be one thing if there were plenty of room for anyone who wanted shelter, but they just don't have enough to meet demand.

Does the sight of this person's hair shock me? Yes. Do I find it funny? Absolutely not.

Agreed. It makes me sad because I think society is really failing some people who really need help.

I'm pretty sure it's not Photoshopped, because I've seen the same matted hair on many homeless people here in Houston. I bike through one of the largest city parks daily and there are many homeless people living in the park. They're there, day in and day out, and I really doubt they ever go to shelters. (First, because there aren't any nearby, and second, because even if I leave the office at midnight and bike home, they're still there.)

That **** on the page dehumanising the person and referring to them as "it" needs to grow up and get a life if they can be that bothered by somebody elses appearance.

Yes, I thought that was the worst part, too. :steam

Smokie
March 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Gaaaah... Reminds me of a video I found on youtube the other day...

Click. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYaYCPmFWKw)

I'm not sure which is worse...

manderly
March 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM
There is a homeless man who is very well known in my town, he's been around all of my life. Everyone knows him as "Mango Man". He has matted dreadlocks past floorlength and he walks with a stick holding the ends up. I am told he uses his matted hair to sleep with. He is mentally ill and homeless.

Locals routinely purchase food for him, he never goes hungry because he is such a regular facet of our society that even kids and teens will order an extra burger to give to him.

Every month or so the police will pick him up and clean him up and get him bathed and give him a warm meal and bed for a night or two.

My point is he is mentally ill and has no family to care for him.

I'm certain the man/woman in that photo is homeless as a result of mental illness, and while their hair is totally gross, it is probably not something that he is mentally capable of thinking of.

gretchen_hair
March 14th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Well where do i begin? What started out as a o my post turned into a debate.
Which is fine i guess. Anyway i hope that picture was photoshopped. If not i hope this person received help. It is kinda bad to say yuk or ew but we are just saying how we feel i dont think anyone is being malicious.

I too was homeless like sheliaann1969 and had a bird poo in my hair once and i had to wash it in cold water because i was grossed out.

If this is a real picture i would guess to say the person isnt/wasnt mentally all there and it happens. When you are on the streets of LA California you see some different things.

I wonder if any of us saw this is person would we offer help? Even if the person was mentally not all there? Sometimes you cant force help on people if they arent open to receive.

I had to edit because i did see the comment about "it" which was very uncalled for. Back to my previous question if us as human beings are so grossed out would we honestly offer to help this person or assist them if we had the opportunity?
When someone is mentally ill it may be frusterating but in all reality it is very sad.
Prayers for those who think differently.

fae
March 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Like Manderly, we have a man who lives on a corner of downtown Hilo. He has chosen to be homeless for some 30 years. He is such a fixture, that people routinely stop to give him cash and food. I have stopped a couple of times to give him a 20 or a sandwich from the Sack-N-Save across the street. Some people have the attitude of "well, he chooses to be homeless, so why do you help him?" I do it because even though it is his choice, I can't imagine looking down on him. I feel sad for him that he doesn't make a different choice. He, like most homeless people, is in need of a long shower, some scissors, and a change of clean clothes.
Bless his heart.

I really hope that people who saw this picture and knew who this person was reached out in compassion and this person was able to recieve some help.

wolf girl
March 14th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Can you imagine how heavy that must be?

harley mama
March 14th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Wow, I'm thinking some heavy conditioning is needed here! It does look as though the hair was used as a pillow. From the look of the clothing, etc I would guess the person is indeed homeless. As Dancingbarefoot said, people do not always have access to shelters. And some simply don't want to be in a shelter.

Not long ago I was eating at a fav local spot here in town. A lady was sitting in a booth and eating when I came in. Her hair looked very much like this persons. At first I thought it was a bad wig but after I looked closer (as I walked behind her) I realized that it was her real hair. Part of it was up in a bun and the rest was loose and matted. It looked like she had visited the hair dresser many years before and then just forgot she had hair. Was she poor? I doubt it. She was driving a very high end car and dressed in nice clothing. So, I assume she chose to wear her hair in this manor.

Let's face it folks... not everyone is as hair obsessed as we are! To each his/her own!

rhubarbarin
March 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I've seen people IRL with hair like that. A couple of them were obviously homeless/metally ill. A couple were just extreme hippies.

Hair like that SMELLS. Bad.

Laululintu
March 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Does the sight of this person's hair shock me? Yes. Do I find it funny? Absolutely not.

Well said Koala Kim!

homeschoolmama
March 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
This just makes me so utterly sad.

I'm reminded of an injury about two years ago, I had cracked my elbow, and was unable to raise my right hand above my shoulders. For six months I had to rely on my husband to brush, wash, and braid my hair. If it hadn't been for his VERY attentive care, my hair could have turned into something similar rather quickly!

I don't know what could have happened to cause this person to have their hair like this, but my heart goes out to them.
love,
mom

Patchouli
March 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
LOL yes.

There seems to be something deliberate about it, like the way its shaped and i dunno, is that clay used to hold it in that shape? I wondered if its used to rest on maybe? But yes it's shocking to look at and does challenge peoples comfort zone so maybe it IS a political statement.

My thoughts exactly. There is still a person under there and whether it looks attractive or not, nobody deserves to be called 'it'.
My DH and I don't go in for the groomed look either, and I'm sure if some shallow materialistic people saw us they'd be 'terribly offended'!
Live and let live I say!

jojo
March 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
aww i think its quite sad really, i hope who ever took the picture got his permission he is a human being after all.

We had a patient many years ago now, who lived on the streets and his hair was not as bad as that but not far off and infested with head lice. We ended up having to shave it all off, i suppose when your priorities are finding a warm shelter to sleep in and food for your belly, your hair just takes second best.

The picture makes me very grateful for what i have but we none of know what is round the corner "There for the grace of god go i".

itslex71
March 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Terribly, sad. Imagine having such low self-respect as to walk around like that. I feel bad for the person inside all of that hair.

PseudoScot
March 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
:twocents:

I'm just sayin'

I absolutely agree. I have regularly seen a man about town who has hair like this to at least classic length. I always wonder why he keeps it that way but I don't assume I know why he keeps it that way. Just because a person I see doesn't fall into my idea of good aesthetics [or hygeine] doesn't mean they are gross/uncaring/homeless or bad.

:twocents: :flower:

wintersun99
March 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
:twocents:

I absolutely agree. I have regularly seen a man about town who has hair like this to at least classic length. I always wonder why he keeps it that way but I don't assume I know why he keeps it that way. Just because a person I see doesn't fall into my idea of good aesthetics [or hygeine] doesn't mean they are gross/uncaring/homeless or bad.

:twocents: :flower:

I agree too. I also regularly saw persons who chose to do similiar things/styles to their hair at college (UofO) and it was by no means, because they were homeless, or didn't take care of themselves, it was expression, and whether said expression is to everyone's taste (or my taste), didn't matter. I would hesitate to jump to the conclusion that this photo reflects someone in dire straits...

Juanita
March 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My goodness it's that matted it's felted.
Juanita

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM
When I first looked, I wanted to cry. That is just sad, who ever took the picture should be ashamed if it was taken to make fun.

truepeacenik
March 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
didn't we have a rule about linking to sites featuring hair photos obviously taken in secret/without the subject's knowledge?
If so, why are we keeping this around?

is it because so many on this board have issues about dreadlocks and that dehumanizes the subject?

is it because this isn't "pretty" hair?

is it because we are afraid this could be us one day?

EvilPigeon
March 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Oh my! I'm horrified...I don't think I will ever look at dreads in the same way again!

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I really feel this thread should be closed.......it is non-productive

truepeacenik
March 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I've reported this.

zift
March 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I work in a hospital and once a pregnant young girl came with similar looking hair to that. Her hair was a big giant dreadlock knot kind of thing and reached her hips. I was shy to ask if she ever bathes but she looked quite clean:confused:
ETA: Maybe they do it purposely,I mean everyone has some kind of a beauty concept to themselves. The may like how it looks? I'm not talking about homeless people ofcourse, they don't have the luxury.

psvzum
March 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Wow....that's really neglectful. So sad....

Teacherbear
March 16th, 2008, 10:02 PM
This thread has served its purpose.

It is now closed.

Please continue posting on other threads to encourage each other and build friendships.