PDA

View Full Version : Dying pieces of hair or under layers with henna.

emeraldfaery
July 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have searched the boards some and haven't found a thread about hennaing just a piece or a few pieces of hair. If there is one I would love the link!

I have dark blonde/light brown hair with a reddish tint to it naturally and I would like to henna the underside or maybe just a strip or two of my hair. I'm too chicken to do my whole head, but I would like to see how it works on my hair and what the color would be. Any tips to just dying part of my hair or would it be a total loss and look stupid. Please be honest! :D Thanks!

LunaMoon
July 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
It is smart to think about "testing" in some smal portion of you hair.
Some under layers will be fine for sure, and you can see if you like the results for trying the whole head. I dyed my hair 2 days agor (for the first time) and did the same, but I liked so much that I dyed the whole head the other day.:D
Be sure that you measure well the timming and the proportions to be able to repeat if you like.
I didn't have this problem because I used commercial dye (DIY box).
Have fun and good luck! I hope you can get the results you are loking for!

spidermom
July 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
One method I've done is divide my hair into six horizontal panels from ear to ear. I securely braided and pinned the stuff I didn't want to dye out of the way (every other panel). Then I had my daughter's help to apply Punky dye to the other panels. I wanted my own color to mix with the red-violet color. (see fantasy color album)

I've also done braids and painted the dye onto the surface of the braids to get streaks and splotches.

Having help is always a bonus!

Good luck.