PDA

View Full Version : most important thing for growing hair long?

darkrose
July 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Is it silk wraps, oil, ?etc. I'm going on holiday abroad so I can't take a lot of things ( my parents insist on taking handluggage, and when I asked about taking ny hair stuff they said no, just take clothes :( ) so I can't take oils , silk wraps, hairtoys , all my brushs etc. So what really is the most important hair care thing for growing hair long I can smuggle in my case?

Rtzgrl
July 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Anything that let's you keep your hair up and out of the way would be a must, in my opinion. A hair tie for a braid or something to hold it up in a bun is really all you need. Anything that keeps it neat and tangle free. Don't forget a good hat, sun is your enemy!

RitaCeleste
July 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I'd smuggle my favorite conditioner and small bottle of oil. I stay with my ex husband in the summer and I tried to go without most of my hair stuff. What I couldn't live without was good conditioner one to wash with, one to condition with, and hair oil. Tape the bottle tops closed!

free_hug
July 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Planes don't allow liquid on board, only less than 10 ml (Idon't know if you need this non-metric, I know nothing of the non-metric system... a google search will probably help you out)

..and you might get your heart broken as you see the not-so-understanding security people throw your beloved hair oils in the garbage :( I know people who lost expensive perfumes and make up this way, so be prepared for airport security.

Although they will probably have nothing against a BBB or a silk cap :)

free_hug
July 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
PS for some reason they also hate creamy stuff, even jelly-ish deodorants

Crazycatlady
July 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Maybe a satin or silk pillow case for your pillow. Pack with your clothes but remember to take it with you from hotel to hotel if you're not traveling with you're own pillow. : )

darkrose
July 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Planes don't allow liquid on board, only less than 10 ml (Idon't know if you need this non-metric, I know nothing of the non-metric system... a google search will probably help you out)

..and you might get your heart broken as you see the not-so-understanding security people throw your beloved hair oils in the garbage :( I know people who lost expensive perfumes and make up this way, so be prepared for airport security.

Although they will probably have nothing against a BBB or a silk cap :)

oh yeah, I forgot about the liquid restrictions !!! Thanks for reminding me about that, I think you saved my precious hair oil.:)

Bene
July 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
About liquid restrictions, what about people who take generic toiletry bags? Shampoos and conditioners? Does airport security toss those out too?

free_hug
July 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
About liquid restrictions, what about people who take generic toiletry bags? Shampoos and conditioners? Does airport security toss those out too?

Yep, they do. You should bring those tiny travel amount (single serving?) versions, if you want them safely on the plane with you - or you should put it in your normal luggage instead of your hand luggage, where you have a lot more freedom. After all, the first and foremost aim of airport security is on borad security, and not giving us hell :) absurdly as they do it anyways.

free_hug
July 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
PS: the hyper expensive stuff you may buy in the tax free shops is, of course, completely okay on board O_O

Gulbahar
July 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
It's not 10ml, but 100! A small bottle of oil would be no problem at all. And several small containers up to 100ml are ok too.
How long are you gonna stay anyway?

Jing
July 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I think another thing is that your 100 ml bottles can't add up to more than 1000 ml alltogether. I just stick my toiletries in the checked-in luggage so I don't have to bother, but travel size containers are a lot more convenient anyway.

Anything bought in the tax free shops is "safe," while they can't know for sure what stuff you bring along from the outside is, that's why the big tax free bottles are OK.

spidermom
July 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
A wide-tooth comb.

Anje
July 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
For me, it's protection and containment. Wearing at a bun or at least a braid. Toss in a few elastics and a hairstick, a comb, and have fun. They won't take up any bulk.

I recommend braids on a plane anyway. You can lean your head back, don't have a bun to get searched by security, and don't have any scary-looking pointy sticks in your hair.

You can always buy washing substances (conditioner, shampoo, whatever) and a bit of olive oil when you get whereever you're going.

darkrose
July 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM
It's not 10ml, but 100! A small bottle of oil would be no problem at all. And several small containers up to 100ml are ok too.
How long are you gonna stay anyway?

actually its 3 holidays, first is two days, second is about a month, third is about a week.

krissykins
July 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't take anything that could be perceived as a "weapon" like hair forks or hair sticks. If you have some spin pins or Flexi-8's or something, I'd take those for securing buns. And hair ties as well for braids, you're definitely going to want to wear braids.

Bring something to detangle with!

Other than that, I think you'll be fine. Have fun!

Gulbahar
July 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hm, only handluggage for a one month trip? I sure wouldn't like that.
Well, for two days: comb, oil, hairtie, Flexie8 (or something similar).
For one week: all of the above plus shampoo or anything else for washing and a small amount of conditioner.
For one month: same as for one week and then you go and buy what you need there. May be take a few more hairtoys as well.

LunaMoon
July 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wow! I am a very light traveler, but just handluggage for 1 month I never did! When I am traveling just with handluggage I always take medicine (just in case), toothbrush/toothpaste travel kit, comb etc. I never travel with just clothes.
But well, What you are going to take depends where you go. I always like to have at least the "first wash" shampoo/CO with me to avoid walking around the city looking after a supermarket that have something that I know. If you can read the language the place you are going, Just buy stuff there, if no - bring your shampoo/CO or use something you are sure you know what is. I think if your parents can't allow a simple comb so you need to sit down and talk with them. :mad:Noboby can spend a month without a comb and toothbrush (and deodorant?) at least. Plastic/wood/bone combs are fine for airport security check. Also try to hide (from your parents, not plane security) some hair elastics on your arm.

Guenhwyvar
July 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
spin pins xD at least you can bun it safely and quickly. They are also small but less likely to get lost.

+ comb and/or tangle teezer (recommend tangle teezer - my hair didnt like a comb alone - takes too much time and pulls out more hair)

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 02:38 PM
For me, it's protection and containment. Wearing at a bun or at least a braid. Toss in a few elastics and a hairstick, a comb, and have fun. They won't take up any bulk.

I recommend braids on a plane anyway. You can lean your head back, don't have a bun to get searched by security, and don't have any scary-looking pointy sticks in your hair.

You can always buy washing substances (conditioner, shampoo, whatever) and a bit of olive oil when you get whereever you're going.
I agree, try going with the small bottles, those damn security guards took my expensive conditioner and shampoo when i went :( Broke my heart, until i found Suave ;)
Maybe you could put the sticks in a pencil case?

Let's see
if you cannot buy new conditioner, bring a small bottle of it and whatever oils you use.
hairstick in pencilcase
elastics
spin pins
comb

Sounds simple and perfect for your hair, it doesn't need too much to grow ;)

ravenreed
July 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
One decent brush or comb that you can tuck into a purse. Also, think creatively. A silk scarf could be worn to protect your hair and at night draped over a pillow to do the same while you sleep.

Blandine
July 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
It's 100 ml, not 10, for liquids.

clairenewcastle
July 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM
A scarf to cover your hair from UV rays.

Madora
July 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM
A wide tooth comb!

Off topic a bit..but if you're flying, be sure you have a TSA approved lock for your luggage!

Be sure and visit the TSA site and read ALL the restrictions so you know what you need to do BEFORE you fly!

pittsburgpam
July 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Don't know if it's been said yet but the most important thing I have ever done is to treat it gently. No yanking, scrubbing, heat, etc. Treat it better than the most delicate and expensive silk scarf.

torrilin
July 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Wow! I am a very light traveler, but just handluggage for 1 month I never did!

I have. It's not a big deal. It just means you plan to do laundry on the trip, either in the sink or at a laundromat.

Step one is to find out how often laundry is planned, because that determines how much underwear you pack. Underwear and socks will take up a big share of your packing space.

Then, pack a set of PJs, because you will want something easy on/easy off. Evacuating from a hotel fire drill while nekkid is not my idea of a good time. Especially not from the 17th floor...

Then count out enough outfits to last you through a laundry cycle. If you have things that can easily wash out in the sink, they'll make the trip easier. If you have things that can be worn two or three times without needing a wash, also a plus. It doesn't really matter exactly how you get the outfits, unless you know you'll need specific clothes. You really don't want to have to pack extra shoes if you can avoid it. Ballet flats or a pretty leather sandal are your friends if you need extra shoes since they tend to squish well and IME extra shoes are always for something silly like a formal wedding.

You should still have space in your bag for a biggish shawl or scarf, a comb, a couple bottles of shampoo or conditioner or hair gel, sunblock, some hair pins and some hair elastics. Plus a book or two, and (in my case) my laptop. Maybe even space for a folding hat. A mild shampoo also works as bodywash and it will let you wash clothes in the sink, so it is worth the space even if you don't use shampoo.

I've been packing like this for myself since I was about 12. It's a lot more fun to take a long trip and have just one or two bags to keep an eye on, and when things go wrong (as they always do), I am not miserable if I have to walk all over creation carrying all my stuff.

honeyblonde
July 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM
My hair has grown so fast this year... thanks to the following:

Heavy oiling, overnight
Avocado treatments at least one per month!!
No brushing
Wearing hair in braid 80% of time!!
Sulfate free shampoo....I love Jason biotin shampoo!!!
Taking vitamins, eating lots of protein!!!
Use cones for slip!! Pantene conditoner......I love it! :p

IanB
July 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Willpower, luck, audacity, nerve, support - and the right kind of genes! :)

darkrose
July 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
oh my gosh, i can't belive how many replies and tips i got! you guys are amazing and so kind! thank you :)

Othala
July 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Patience and gentle handling.

Lianna
July 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
If you are going to hotels with shampoo and conditioner, I'd say the minimum would be a comb and hair ties. If your hair "needs" leave-in conditioner and/or oil, I'd take them too. But it's just a little over a month, you can be on "survival mode" if you need to. You can also use normal conditioner as leave-in conditioner, if necessary.

elbow chic
July 10th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I say a good comb and some hair-ties. You can keep it combed and braided, and try some fun new conditioners/oils at your destination. :D

I like to travel ultra-light too. If you have a bit of money you can just pick up toiletries at the other end, sparing yourself the hassle of packing them and getting them out at the gate, etc/blah. If you are going overseas, buying toiletries at the corner market can actually turn out to be pretty amusing. :p

QueenJoey
July 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I just got home from a vacation. My mom and sister hate how much hair stuff I have, as well. I still managed to get a BBB and small hair stick in my bag. I also smuggled my little jar of castor oil into my bag.

Night_Kitten
July 11th, 2011, 06:34 AM
As the absolute nesessary I would recommend a good comb, at least one hairtye / scrunchee (to hold braids), and atleast one flexi-8 or hairstick (to hold buns). All of those are rather small and flat and light-weight, and don't take much space at all, I doubt your parents will mind those...
You could also bring a silk scarf (it's officially considered "clothing" even if you end up using it for your hair ;) )