PDA

View Full Version : My hair is my safety blanket.

suraque
July 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I've always been one to take extremely good care of my hair.
(hence why when I found this forum I was like yay!)

I do this because, well.
I feel as if it's my best asset... and that in every other way I'm either up to par with everyone else or below.

So, I take incredibly good care of my hair because... it makes me feel special in a way, I suppose.

Now, I know there are many other reasons why people have long hair and choose to take care of it.
Be it religious. be it another personal reason. be it because, well, you just like your hair to look gorgeous.

I'm rather curious as to what your reason is. :3

MissHair
July 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Ive had tailbone long hair since I was 8.. My mom always let me and my siblings hair grow as long as possible.. My sister had hair below her bum.. You could imagine that others were jealous of our hair.. Its always been my comfort. I remember when I was cold outdoors I would literally wrap myself in my hair to keep my shoulders, neck and head warm.

But enough about childhood memories.. Im sad to say Ive neglected and abused my hair these past grown up years.. If it wasnt for illness and stress Im sure I'd still have luxuriously thick and wonderful looking hair. Because of this Ive cut my hair several times just to get the illusion of thick hair back.

But I must say... everytime Ive had waist-hip lenght hair has been the times Ive had the most self-esteem and felt the best about myself. Looking back at old photos Ive always wondered why I always felt so great about myself compared to when I look at pics of short hair.. Now I remember it was all down to the hair. Even my friends have noticed I was more outgoing when I had longer hair. Thats what Im trying to achieve now. It plays such huge role in my general mood and charisma, I shine like a star with long hair and I miss that!

Bene
July 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I had written up a long rambling "my hair doesn't mean squat" essay in response to another thread a million years ago, but found that it might not be the nicest thing to say, so I stuck it in my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=83415) for posterity or for anyone who might be interested in reading it.

Anyway, it ended like this:

It feels nice on my back when I tilt my head backwards and it goes swish swish swish.

That's pretty much the only reason why I'm growing it.

MissHair
July 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM
It feels nice on my back when I tilt my head backwards and it goes swish swish swish.

That's pretty much the only reason why I'm growing it.

Thanks for reminding me. The feeling is therapeutic!

suraque
July 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for reminding me. The feeling is therapeutic!

It does, doesn't it?
I just showered so my hair is currently at BSL (which won't be for long)

I CAN FEEL IT DOWN THERE.

we all are swoshing our hair now, aren't we?

Rtzgrl
July 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
My grandmother had very long hair. She wore it up in a bun during the day and braided it at night. My sister and I just loved to watch her brush it and do it up. It must have gone down to the back of her knees at least. I think she was my main inspiration for having long hair. That, and my love of medeival history and fantasy stories and such based in that general time frame. Having long hair helps me feel a part of that lovely fantasy world.

trillcat
July 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I like my long hair because it is me. Yea, yea, hair does not make you who you are but it does for some. Hi, have a sweeping statement! (oo a pun!) For me, my hair is part of who I am, has been since I was a child. I am the long haired Earth Mother tree hugger. My hair is part of my personality because I have had it for a very long time. Ooo the piixie, that happened as a result of a bad relationship gone worse, I am not alone in that hair cutting WTF?
y long hair is me, I was timid and shy with short hair. Sound like me, well it was.
ETA" so sad when good posts go bad ( about me)

neko_kawaii
July 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM

I love it!

A couple weeks ago my brother in law asked me if I was hiding something behind my back and I had to explain that no, I was tugging on the end of my braid because it had reached a length where I was constantly noticing it there.

I have found over many years of alternating short and long that long hair is easier for me to take care of than short (doesn't make any sense, I know), and when my hair is short I miss being able to play around with it up.

I'm not sure what my safety blanket is. Thumbs up that you were able to make the correlation!

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM
My reasons for growing my hair out is the fact I miss it. I have to admit I loved the looks it got when it was down and long. I did love the way it felt when I walked. I loved the glamour that is associated with long hair. I love the feel of people noticing your pride and joy. The owner ship of long hair. I love it and miss it.

rhosyn_du
July 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Partly out of curiosity, because my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all had past-classic length hair when they were younger, so I want to see how long mine gets. But, mostly, it's soft and insulating, and I like the way it feels on my skin.

C.H.
July 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Vanity aside, there's simply no good reason to cut it, it won't benefit my appearance, my comfort or my schedule in any way. So, it wanted to grow and I let it.

CurlAhead
July 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hmm, well let's see. I'm growing it out mainly to:
1. Save TIME and MONEY! If I have longer hair, (and I mean much much longer) I won't have to use 4 conditioners etc, and I can wear it in braids and such.
2. I feel more confident and a little prettier when it's long :o
3. If it's long, it will reach my nose and I will be able to SMELL it when I have used some really awesome smelling products, so irritating that I can't do that atm. :p:o

lapispimpernel
July 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I'm rather curious as to what your reason is. :3

A couple reasons...
First, I had long hair up through 5th grade, and I miss it. That one's easy enough.

The other... well, I'd like to have something to be vain about, even if my hair is nothing special thickness, color, or texture-wise. I can say (without too much sadness) that I am not very pretty, and what parts I could show off I don't care to. My job and hobbies take me out-of-doors often, and I dress to match, so long hair is the one thing that makes me feel prettier/more feminine, even though nobody else knows. Hooray updos! Hair is fairly safe as a vanity, thank goodness. :o

julliams
July 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I have come to realise that my hair is my bet physical asset so whilst I would love to sport a short funky style, it just doesn't suit my face. My long hair suits me, I identify with it and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Madora
July 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
V a n i t y! Pure and simple.

I never was blessed with pretty features and identify a great deal with Margaret Hamilton (famous as the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz).

But I had an outstanding head of hair. It wasn't until 1960 that my hair obsession really took off when I read a magazine article about Dr. George Michael and his long hair care regimen. Man, I was HOOKED! I followed many of his precepts and my hair reaped the rewards. My hair has always been my crowning glory and I've loved it!

C.H.
July 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
V a n i t y! Pure and simple.

Great to hear someone admit to this. People always want to list every other conceivable reason.

suraque
July 8th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Great to hear someone admit to this. People always want to list every other conceivable reason.

Well, I guess this is true.

I do it for vain reasons, because I don't feel like there's anything else I can be vain about..

that's a better way to say it.

It'd be like,
if I had nice legs I would want to wear shorts to show them off!