PDA

View Full Version : Help! My hair is so dry!!

Irish Fae
July 8th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Dearest ladies of the long hair, I am in need of your expertise again! My hair is horribly dry, and I can't seem to fix it. I have tried SMT's, coconut oil (this seems to actually make it worse for some reason- has anyone else had this issue?), rich moisturizers and protein treatments. I am running out of ideas. I am growing out previous heat styling/colouring damage and the ends of my hair are definitely not in good shape. I trim a bit every month and also s&d the split ends. Even with all of the extra care, my hair just feels awful, mainly toward the ends and bottom half. My scalp has a tendency to get oily.

My hair is quite thick, and it only ever feels smooth and silky if I heat style it, which I have been avoiding as much as possible for the past few months.

I'm not sure if I need more protein or more moisture, although I am assuming it is the latter. When I do a strand breakage test, my hair stretches and then falls back into shape, unless I pull very hard, in which case it stretches and then breaks. Does this mean anything to the experts out there?

Does anyone have some suggestions for me? I am getting so frustrated! I really miss the nice, healthy hair I had a year ago, before all of this damage. :(

Also, is there any possibility that the coconut oil is making things worse?

Thank you!

Bene
July 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Have you tried clarifying before doing the moisture treatments?

Alvrodul
July 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Have you tried clarifying? When my hair desperately needs clarifying (I try not to let it get to that point) it feels rather peculiar, oddly sticky, or waxy at the roots, and the ends dry and extremely tangle prone!

lacefrost
July 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
It sounds like you need to clarify. Whenever oils make my hair really crunchy and dry, that's what it means. I usually just do a really diluted baking soda rinse and that works fine. Some people use a clarifying shampoo, it's up to do. But I would say clarify and then do something moisturizing.

Oh! Another thing it might be is something you're using that your hair hates. I was using the SheaMoisture line and it made my hair feel bad. But I only realized that after clarifying and enjoying how soft my hair was and then putting that on my hair, and my hair turning back to a rock.

Irish Fae
July 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Oh, I never would have thought to clarify! I was afraid that would make my hair worse. What do you recommend for clarifying? I would like to try something natural if possible.

Thank you so much!

Anje
July 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I second fourth clarifying.

I really prefer a clarifying shampoo. Suave Daily Clarifying is pretty good, but in a pinch any transparent shampoo with sulfates does pretty well. Some people like to use dissolved baking soda instead, or mix baking soda into their shampoo. That'll work, but it seems harsher for most people and tends to leave hair feeling pretty nasty.

So get your shampoo, and wash root to tip with plenty of it, full-strength. You might be wise to repeat the process even. Then condition the heck out of it, because clarifying can be quite drying, but it's necessary if you've got buildup blocking your hair from absorbing moisture.

RitaCeleste
July 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Since the coconut hasn't been too helpful, you might try EVOO and honey or SMT again to condition it. I'd avoid protein for a bit as it can be drying. Really, once you clarify the good stuff will be probably be able to soak in and do its thing.

Ferine
July 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
If you still find your hair dry after clarifying, and I was in the same boat, my hair ADORES Emu oil and Lanolin mixed. 3 drops Emu one Lanolin, starting at the ends and using a BB brush to work it through.

My hair sucks it right up!

I get the EO @ The Vitamin Shoppe, Lanolin, from sheared wool, @ the Health food store.

Ferine

braylin27cobain
July 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread! I was definitely having the same issue! I also hadn't thought of clarifying. I will be sure to try this out in the morning and hopefully this will be my solution!

Laylah
July 8th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Olive oil mixed with shea butter works very well for my ends. When my hair is particularly dry I use lekair hair cholesterol instead of regular conditioner. It's pretty cheap and not that natural so you might not like that, but it works well.

shockinglength
July 8th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Have you tried co?

krissykins
July 8th, 2011, 11:27 PM
*waits impatiently to find out how clarifying hair turned out*

I do hope it works out! :cheese:

LunaMoon
July 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM
My hair was like yours when I found LHC. A clarifying shampoo saved my hair. I did use a quelator as well because of my hard water. Worked great! After I started COing and my hair is very happy now.

alwayssmiling
July 9th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Also lay off the protein for a while, you could be like me and easily overload on it making it feel dry and stiff.

Irish Fae
July 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Thank you to everyone for the excellent advice. I did clarify my hair today with a mixture of shampoo, baking soda and water. I was worried at first, because my hair felt like straw after washing out the baking soda mixture, but after I applied a heavy conditioner and let it soak in for a few moments, it seemed silkier. Now my hair is dry with a bit of coconut oil on the ends and it feels much better and not as heavy and stiff. I will also stay away from protein treatments for a while!

What is the best sign that your hair needs protein? In other words, how will I know when I need another protein treatment?

Also, for those with damaged ends, what do you do to hide them between trims? At least the bottom 2 inches of my hair are fairly damaged with splits and white spots, and I don't want to cut off that much length at this point, so I am trying to baby it while waiting for a bit more growth. I don't have a lot of breakage, and my hair is still growing at a fairly decent rate, so is it okay for me to wait and let the damage grow out?

Thank you so much!

Irish Fae
July 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Have you tried co?

I haven't tried conditioner only, as my roots tend to get quite oily if I don't wash them at least every other day, but I do CWC, and that has helped my hair a bit. Still, the ends get quite dry. Should I try CO? What is the best method?

krissykins
July 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thank you to everyone for the excellent advice. I did clarify my hair today with a mixture of shampoo, baking soda and water. I was worried at first, because my hair felt like straw after washing out the baking soda mixture, but after I applied a heavy conditioner and let it soak in for a few moments, it seemed silkier. Now my hair is dry with a bit of coconut oil on the ends and it feels much better and not as heavy and stiff. I will also stay away from protein treatments for a while!

What is the best sign that your hair needs protein? In other words, how will I know when I need another protein treatment?

Also, for those with damaged ends, what do you do to hide them between trims? At least the bottom 2 inches of my hair are fairly damaged with splits and white spots, and I don't want to cut off that much length at this point, so I am trying to baby it while waiting for a bit more growth. I don't have a lot of breakage, and my hair is still growing at a fairly decent rate, so is it okay for me to wait and let the damage grow out?

Thank you so much!

Kirin's diagnostic tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) - whether your hair needs protein/moisture
Keeping split ends at bay (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) - preventing splits (and an explanation of S&D); I protect my ends by wearing protective updos like buns where the ends are tucked in to prevent more damage

I haven't tried conditioner only, as my roots tend to get quite oily if I don't wash them at least every other day, but I do CWC, and that has helped my hair a bit. Still, the ends get quite dry. Should I try CO? What is the best method?

Basic CO method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)
CO Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) - you don't have to read the entire thing, just the last few pages or so to get a few ideas. :)