PDA

View Full Version : Clumps RULE!!!

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Ha! We were talking this on the wurly/curly thread and how much we like clumps. I would love to hear your wurly/curly clumping ideas. I have got a pretty good clumping thing going on. I get great clumps with Kinky Curly Curling Custard and with some other gels (Jessicurl is great too)

Your secret to good clumping? Spill it! :cheese:

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
LOL, everyone with straight hair is going to be thinking "What do you mean? Strings?" :eyebrows:

I've been lucky that pretty much any old product seems to do it, but it's more of a technique thing. Like, I distribute products on wet hair, and if I try to use a comb to help distribute it, bye clumps. My fingers don't do that if I just rake it through. But even if I kind of screw it up like that somehow, re-scrunching seems to reform it somewhat.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
LOL, everyone with straight hair is going to be thinking "What do you mean? Strings?" :eyebrows:

I've been lucky that pretty much any old product seems to do it, but it's more of a technique thing. Like, I distribute products on wet hair, and if I try to use a comb to help distribute it, bye clumps. My fingers don't do that if I just rake it through. But even if I kind of screw it up like that somehow, re-scrunching seems to reform it somewhat.

LOL I thought of that! Yes technique does make all the difference. It's a combination I think for me. I can't comb when wet and get any clumps either. I flip my hair upside down when still very damp right out of the shower and only blotted a bit with a towel. Then I scrunch all my products in, flip it back over and arrange with my fingers sort of slightly finger coming and shake my head too.

If everyone could explain what products AND technique help the clumping that would be a big help too!

I guess this is for 2c's and 3's more than any type. Sorry should have said that! Anyone else can chime in too though! I thought it might help all of us wavy/curlies!:D

forgetmenotak
June 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
I was wondering about this today. I don't typically wear my hair curly because I don't like hair gel, but it seems like it is the only way I can get curl definition. I am curious about ideas too!
Hi Curlsgirl :waving: I love your hair! And your attitude about embracing your curls!

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
I was wondering about this today. I don't typically wear my hair curly because I don't like hair gel, but it seems like it is the only way I can get curl definition. I am curious about ideas too!
Hi Curlsgirl :waving: I love your hair! And your attitude about embracing your curls!

Hey! IThanks!!!!! :love: used to be like that until I discovered after you apply the gel, you let it dry ALL the way and THEN lightly scrunch the crunch out! WOW! If you apply the right amount, you won't get that producty feeling. I promise! The secret is pretty much finding the right amount to use. www.jessicurl.com (http://www.jessicurl.com) has a really good video on their website. Nice to meet you too!!!!

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I was the same way until I found that out too. I don't think they tell you so on the tube/bottle. I thought gel was just always supposed to be crispy the entire time.

darkwaves
June 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I discovered after you apply the gel, you let it dry ALL the way and THEN lightly scrunch the crunch out! And if it was possible to do this in the morning without a diffuser, I'd go to work curly every day! But my hair takes hours to air dry, and somehow wet, crunchy curls don't quite work most days. I wish there was a way to dry quickly without heat!

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
There is... if your evil hair dryer has a cool setting like mine does.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
And if it was possible to do this in the morning without a diffuser, I'd go to work curly every day! But my hair takes hours to air dry, and somehow wet, crunchy curls don't quite work most days. I wish there was a way to dry quickly without heat!Oh me too!!!! Mine is the same way!

There is... if your evil hair dryer has a cool setting like mine does.
Cool takes forever and STILL causes some frizz, just isn't the same. I have found I can sort of dry the roots under the hair and canopy a bit on warm and that helps a lot without causing a lot of frizz. But again, to dry COMPLETELY which is what I need to do before I scrunch out the crunch takes FOREVER! I hardly ever do it though unless it's in the afternoon or I am not going to work and want it to look espeically good for some reason.

I do like going out in the warm hair unless it's windy to let it dry faster. Speeds it up a LOT!

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Oh yes, I don't ever diffuse to 100% dry on any setting. That's pretty much a typed and signed formal request for frizz. Also, I can't explain this but for some reason the timing of diffusing for me is not linear, but hyperbolic. The closer it gets to dry, the longer each increment takes. Like I can diffuse to 70% dry in 5 minutes, but 80% takes 10 minutes, 90% takes 20 minutes, 95% takes 30 minutes... I think I could approach 100% but never quite get there as the curve flattens out to infinity.

So what I do (when wearing it down, which I don't do all of the time) is diffuse for a few minutes and then go. I have to be careful with it for an hour and a half or so as it dries the rest of the way, but then I can scrunch the crunch. And the diffusing that I did do not only shortens the rest of the drying time, but it takes away the "Hi, wet dog reporting for work" look.

This is helped even more with a half up, because I can just not worry about the top too much and just wait for the bottom to dry.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah I see what you are saying. My hair takes much longer though. If I diffuse for a few minutes, it would still take hours to dry enough to scrunch. It's just my hair I guess. It's always been that way but is getting moreso the longer it gets.

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
For some reason henna has made my hair dry much faster than it used to when I was blonde. I have no idea of the reason for that. Perhaps it is coated in resins lol.

Yours is several inches longer than mine but I think it is also thicker too.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
For some reason henna has made my hair dry much faster than it used to when I was blonde. I have no idea of the reason for that. Perhaps it is coated in resins lol.

Maybe since henna sort of smooths the cuticle it is not as porous? Or does it? I have no idea what I'm talking about LOL! I am on some prescriptions for a bad infection. That is also why I am still up :)

missy60
June 23rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
I pretty much do what RiotCrrl does I diffuse for about five mins or so after drying my bangs. Then get ready the maybe dry for a few more mins mostly the scalp. I can then go without wet hair, but it does take a long time for my hair to get completely dry.

I always hated gel and never used it. I think the most important thing I learned was to scrunch out the crunch. I had never seen any one do that before or it is never recommended. It should be standard instructions on each bottles of gel.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I pretty much do what RiotCrrl does I diffuse for about five mins or so after drying my bangs. Then get ready the maybe dry for a few more mins mostly the scalp. I can then go without wet hair, but it does take a long time for my hair to get completely dry.

I always hated gel and never used it. I think the most important thing I learned was to scrunch out the crunch. I had never seen any one do that before or it is never recommended. It should be standard instructions on each bottles of gel.

Yes!!!! I am so glad others are up in the middle of the night to talk to :D You're on the East coast too right?

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Maybe since henna sort of smooths the cuticle it is not as porous? Or does it? I have no idea what I'm talking about LOL! I am on some prescriptions for a bad infection. That is also why I am still up :)

Something got stuffed in my hair. Lawsone? Resins? Who can say? But I can now stick a hair in a cup of water and it will float forever, when it used to sink immediately. I don't think it would have smoothing action except inasmuch as it is acidic, but that should be temporary.

I am very sorry to hear of your illness and subsequent prescriptions, best wishes for fast recovery.

redcelticcurls
June 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Both Pink Boots and KCCC are good clumpers for me, although my curls are somewhat skinny be default.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Something got stuffed in my hair. Lawsone? Resins? Who can say? But I can now stick a hair in a cup of water and it will float forever, when it used to sink immediately. I don't think it would have smoothing action except inasmuch as it is acidic, but that should be temporary.

I am very sorry to hear of your illness and subsequent prescriptions, best wishes for fast recovery.

Awwwwwwwwww I really appreciate it. :love:

I do know curly hair naturally more porous and I do have chemical dye in mine too. That could make a difference too. But like I said it pretty much has always been that way. Hair stylists hate it when I ask them to blow dry my hair LOL

missy60
June 23rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yes!!!! I am so glad others are up in the middle of the night to talk to :D You're on the East coast too right?

Yes Im on the east coast to and Im not feeling to good I have had a pain in my chest all night. It bother me more when I lay down I think it phemonia (sp) or bronchitis so Im up to talking about hair all night :)

redcelticcurls
June 23rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
And if it was possible to do this in the morning without a diffuser, I'd go to work curly every day! But my hair takes hours to air dry, and somehow wet, crunchy curls don't quite work most days. I wish there was a way to dry quickly without heat!

Overnight plopping might be worth a try. It is still damp when I do this when waking up, but not super wet.

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hair stylists hate it when I ask them to blow dry my hair LOL

You know what they really hate? When I used to show up with it dry but not want a shampoo. After five minutes with the spray bottle they would wonder why it wasn't wet. Just as hard to wet porous hair as it is to dry it, lol.

ZaBasDa
June 23rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
So I basically found out about scrunching out the crunch just now. I used to just apply enough gel/oil combo that I didn't get crunch. And I seem to get pretty good results applying oil then my gel mix to dripping hair.

missy60
June 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
So I basically found out about scrunching out the crunch just now. I used to just apply enough gel/oil combo that I didn't get crunch. And I seem to get pretty good results applying oil then my gel mix to dripping hair.

Yes I have always found that applying gel to dripping hair help my hair to clump and does for me cut down on some of the frizz. I really dont get much crunch at all when I apply my gel to dripping wet hair. I also know now that a little crunch is a good thing for my hair.

Curlsgirl
June 24th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Too funny about the "Will her hair EVER get all the wet?" thing! You're right it does work that way too as well as drying! :D

forgetmenotak
June 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Isn't scrunching bad for the hair? I know this is a silly question, but it always seemed like when I have done it before my hair gets kinda-- ruffled looking. My hair has damage, so that could be part of it, but I thought my hair looked even worse after doing that. I was using avg at the time as a gel.

Curlsgirl
June 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Isn't scrunching bad for the hair? I know this is a silly question, but it always seemed like when I have done it before my hair gets kinda-- ruffled looking. My hair has damage, so that could be part of it, but I thought my hair looked even worse after doing that. I was using avg at the time as a gel.

I don't get anything with AVG never have. And NO it's not bad for your hair at all. I guess if you were really rough with it but that would be counter-effective. Look at the www.jessicurl.com (http://www.jessicurl.com) site and watch the video about scrunching out the crunch, it's excellent. And NOT a silly question!

Lamb
June 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I am not very fond of gels and stuff (some leave-in now and then is OK, though), but my greatest and simplest trick is to use my hair as a towel after washing my hands. I just scrunch the water on my hands into my hair. I know... not very classy.:o But it works, and my hair loves being wet in the summer!

Lamb
June 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Yes Im on the east coast to and Im not feeling to good I have had a pain in my chest all night. It bother me more when I lay down I think it phemonia (sp) or bronchitis so Im up to talking about hair all night :)

:( So sorry you're feeling ill, get well soon!

Curlsgirl
June 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I am not very fond of gels and stuff (some leave-in now and then is OK, though), but my greatest and simplest trick is to use my hair as a towel after washing my hands. I just scrunch the water on my hands into my hair. I know... not very classy.:o But it works, and my hair loves being wet in the summer!Yep I do that too. It's a quick pick-me-up for me and my hair!

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I never thought of that but I might now. If I ever wear my hair down again before October. LOL summer.

ajr
June 24th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I've read the whole thread, I swear, and I'm still confused. Curiosity drives me to ask the obvious, and probably stupid question. What exactly to you mean by clumps? And do they have to be created or can curly hair naturally form these mysterious clumps? =)

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I've read the whole thread, I swear, and I'm still confused. Curiosity drives me to ask the obvious, and probably stupid question. What exactly to you mean by clumps? And do they have to be created or can curly hair naturally form these mysterious clumps? =)

Curly hair can naturally form them, but it's very much helped along by product.

If it happened on straight hair, it would probably be referred to as strings. Which can be a problem of curly hair, cause Mom is like "Your hair is stringy go brush it!"

For a good dose of what happens when our hair is curly and we have brushed out our clumps or strings, check out the Curly Hair Brushed thread.

curly girl fla
June 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I'm always in search of clumping. I seem to get great spiral clumps underneath where nobody can see them or knows they exist! I've tried KCCC-best clumps, but inconsistent for me. Never was able to pinpoint the best practice with it. AVG alone just gives me dry frizz, and I canNOT put any water on my hair to "refresh" curls once it's dry. I really wish I could, but I get even more stringy frizz (doesn't stop me from trying, though). My hair is healthy, but parched after using henna. I'm doing alot of experimenting with oils and looking forward to trying new things that I've learned about on the recipe section to try to mix up some potions to add moisture underneath the oil for good clumping. My biggest problems are that even with diffusing ALOT my hair never seems to dry, and my two young girls are always messing with my hair before it dries so there's often no hope...that's when I pull out my flexi-8s and claw clips...

30isthenewblack
June 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I love krumping ... it's a great dance style :) ... seriously though, I have curly hair & I'm not even sure what you mean CG. Can you show us a picture?

Cichelle
June 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't use styling products. But I have found that a Denman brush makes a good clumping tool. If I use a Denman on wet hair (already well detangled) that has a liberal amount of conditioner in it, I get a lot of clumpage. :wink: It also gets me a lot of shrinkage. But that's another story....:)

Dulci
June 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Clumps are the same as ropes, right? I like ropey hair.

I tried the Skip Curl technique (http://www.glamortips.com/hair-guide/naturally-curly-hair-styles.php) once (without using the product) and got great results. :)

Madam Librarian
June 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Oh yay! I am working on clumping right now! I've said it a million times, but I had straight hair for such a long time. It's been interesting to learn how to care for a completely different head of hair than I used to have.

I've had the most success so far with a dollop of conditioner added to soaking wet, just out of the shower hair. I plop for a bit in a turbie, add my gel and diffuse.

I'm also finding that I need to use more product than I first thought. If something comes in a pump container, I've always used 1 pump for one application. I am finding I do better with 2-3 pumps of gel. Same for squeeze tubes. I was using 1 dime to nickel size dollop, now I use twice that amount.

I'll have to review Naturally Curly for the scrunch out the crunch instructions. I've not been too bothered by crunchy hair, but since increasing the product I use, it is easier to cross the line into crunchy land.

Euphony
June 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
hahaha this is so funny! I was just thinking the other day how much I hate it when my hair clumps! But I'm also the girl that was told as a child that there was something wrong with my hair and i needed to sit there and comb it until it was dry. I think at 37 I still haven't been able to shake the idea that there's something wrong with my hair. It's not straight, it's not curly it's wavy and it clumps if I'm not careful!

hurricane_gia
June 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I never thought of that but I might now. If I ever wear my hair down again before October. LOL summer.

Oh, even if my hair is up I just pat my wet hands around my updo and around my hairline. I'm glad I'm not the only one, tho. :)

hurricane_gia
June 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM

I think of them as "locks" of hair. Like in the novels where the hero asks the lady for a lock of her hair . . .

But clump is a good term. Instead of each individual hair curling in it's own way, fifty or more hairs band together in a gang called a "clump" and curl together . . .

I don't have a favorite product because I haven't found any yet that work the way I want them to. But, I may be scrunching too early (I'll have to re-watch that Jessicurl video).

Meanwhile, Gels, including AVG and Cocaloe, do fun things for my hair on the day I apply them, but on the second and third day, my hair gets dryer and dryer, and then starts to tangle and break and Aaaaargh! Other than washing my hair more often (not going to happen, I have better things to do with my life than wait for hair to dry in a humid climate), is there anything I can do about this gel fiasco?

hurricane_gia
June 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
But I'm also the girl that was told as a child that there was something wrong with my hair and i needed to sit there and comb it until it was dry. I think at 37 I still haven't been able to shake the idea that there's something wrong with my hair.

Well then, young lady, you need to just Sit There and watch "The Golden Compass" over and over again until you believe that clumpy hair is good.

Euphony
June 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well then, young lady, you need to just Sit There and watch "The Golden Compass" over and over again until you believe that clumpy hair is good.
<snork> I've been meaning to see that movie! Okay you gave me another excuse to sit and watch it.

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
<snork> I've been meaning to see that movie! Okay you gave me another excuse to sit and watch it.

Lyra's hair is usually sort of dark blonde/light brown but during the scenes on the snow it looks red for some reason. DH said she looked like me :)

darkwaves
June 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Meanwhile, Gels ... do fun things for my hair on the day I apply them, but on the second and third day, my hair gets dryer and dryer, and then starts to tangle and break and [B]Aaaaargh! I rarely use gel because this is exactly what happens to me. Now, it's mainly if I know I'll be prepared to wash it out the next day -- but I don't usually wash daily.

Siava
June 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I don't wash my hair daily either so I'm leery about putting any kind of product in my hair. My clumps are great with nothing on them in days that aren't humid. When it's humid I just put it up.

Niphredil
June 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I tried the Skip Curl technique (http://www.glamortips.com/hair-guide/naturally-curly-hair-styles.php) once (without using the product) and got great results. :)

Would you be able to explain the technique to me? I don't seem to understand the instructions as posted on the website you link to. They sound interesting though !

girlcat36
June 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Desperately seeking clumps!
My hair does not play nice together, it is horrible.

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Meanwhile, Gels ... do fun things for my hair on the day I apply them, but on the second and third day, my hair gets dryer and dryer, and then starts to tangle and break and [b]Aaaaargh!

Well my hair just does that whether there's gel in it or not, so I get it wet pretty much every day anyway.

Dulci
June 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Would you be able to explain the technique to me? I don't seem to understand the instructions as posted on the website you link to. They sound interesting though !

There's a How-To video (http://curlkeeper.com/HairGallery.aspx) on the curlkeeper site that demonstrates it better than I can describe it. The products look interesting too, I have thought about purchasing a Try Me kit.

jessie58
June 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
There's a How-To video (http://curlkeeper.com/HairGallery.aspx) on the curlkeeper site that demonstrates it better than I can describe it. The products look interesting too, I have thought about purchasing a Try Me kit.

I did purchase all 3 CHS products and they work fairly well in my hair. I also tried the skip curl technique and it too works well.

However, I am very no fuss, no muss with my hair and hated putting in all that styling stuff and hated the time and effort it took to get the skip curls to work properly. It does work though, both the products and the technique.

As for clumps. Last year I complained in my journal that I couldn't get my nice clumping curls any more and that my hair was getting all separated and flyaway. Morticia said in her journal how funny it was that the straighties wanted that separation and disliked the clumping and the curlies want the clumping and dread the separating. It's so true.

Dulci
June 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Oh I didn't know you had tried the products, cool! I wonder if it would work if you just combed them through, shook your head a bit to get the clumps/ropes started, and then let it airdry? :hmm:

Lately I've been fantasizing about cutting to midback and being able to wear my hair loose and curly :crush: instead of this eternal single braid. :rolleyes:

LOL and I guess it is true about grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Niphredil
June 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Ahhh, that makes more sense than the explanation on the website!

Hmm, might try that next wash (currently, my hair is in a towel, plopping :D )

KittyCat
June 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
What gives me the best clumpy curls are creamy stylers and raking with my hands. Raking forms the curls while the cream stylers /or conditioners keep the curls together really well ,even if I diffuse-dry my hair.

morgwn
June 30th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I actually found that my aloe gel really clumped together my curls last Thursday and they were very strongly curled and together all day! I got a good number of compliments. :)

It was also the first time that I'd worn my hair down in over seven months and my hair is now back up again for finishing out my year challenge. I just had it down that day because it was our day of finding out our final grades and the last day we'd see many of our classmates. It seemed worth it for having it down one day. ;)

MoonCreature
June 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I get major clumping from putting aloe-gel and shea butter in the ends of damp hair and then bunning the hair untill almost dry. The sad thing though is that I don't have curly hair so my hair mostly looks unattained (even if I like the clumping!).

Curlsgirl
June 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I am sorry I didn't get back here to answer the questions! Do you all know what I mean by clumping now? I love hearing all the suggestions. Like everything else, different things work for everyone it seems.

For me clumping means instead of curls with no form and going their own individual way thereby creating "frizz" for me, they stick together in strands of curls forming a nicer shinier prettier curl. I am off to see if I can find a good picture.

Good grief! I can't even find a good one right now. Basically if you look at the Jessicurl demo videos, that's what I mean. Frizzy with no curl definition is what I TRY to avoid. Sometimes to no avail!

shellblue1
July 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sometimes I won't use my hands to scrunch, but will use my microfiber towel to do it. I start scrunching with it while my hair is really wet. Makes my hair more clumpy.

(Lol, the funny thing is, none of the pics I have on this site is of my hair scrunched/curly. All of them are with my hair brushed or combed through. :rolleyes: )

Marchpane
July 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
after you apply the gel, you let it dry ALL the way and THEN lightly scrunch the crunch out! WOW! If you apply the right amount, you won't get that producty feeling. I promise!

I have to try that, because I was using Bumble & Bumble Curl Cream, which worked well, but was a little crunchy sometimes. I usually just flipped my hair upside down and worked it in and the look was good at least, if not the feel.

I just discovered how amazingly good that scrunchie-drying method is! I tried it after oiling and washing my hair last night, and it was kind of all messy how I did it, and the next day I woke up and thought, oh boy... my hair is going to be horrible, isn't it? But when I pulled it out, my hair was all in nice curls! And usually I only get them in the length, but drying with no weight pulling my hair down really worked, because all my hair was curly for once! So I really have to recommend that... weird how well it works hehe.

Riot Crrl
July 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Oh yeah, the first time someone told me I could scrunch gel when my hair was dry, it was like a whole new world. I always thought it was supposed to just be crispy until I washed it again.

Marchpane
July 3rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah, the first time someone told me I could scrunch gel when my hair was dry, it was like a whole new world. I always thought it was supposed to just be crispy until I washed it again.

Haha well I'm glad to learn this. I stopped using it actually, because I was getting sick of the yucky product-ness. So how does scrunching it when it's dry make that go away? How does that work?

Riot Crrl
July 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
I don't know exactly why... it just seems to uncrunch it so that the hair is flexible again. But it still has hold. It is mysterious and wondrous. But you have to wait until it's TOTALLY dry. Or else it sticks to your fingers and makes frizz.

I always just used dry hands to do it but I have heard of people using a slight amount of oily product of some sort to do it. I haven't tried that yet.

Marchpane
July 3rd, 2008, 12:43 AM
I don't know exactly why... it just seems to uncrunch it so that the hair is flexible again. But it still has hold. It is mysterious and wondrous. But you have to wait until it's TOTALLY dry. Or else it sticks to your fingers and makes frizz.

I always just used dry hands to do it but I have heard of people using a slight amount of oily product of some sort to do it. I haven't tried that yet.

Hmm, interesting. Well now I'm all excited to try it again haha. Too bad I'm trying to stretch out wash days... I feel like that's the only time I can do anything interesting with my hair. I just bought some SA oil so maybe I'll try with a bit of that sometime too. Lol the joys of hair-experimentation. ^_^ Thanks for the advice!!

DecafJane
July 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
I always hated gel because of the crunch after drying! I think I still have some in my cupboard, so I will have to try it the next time that I wash!

manderly
July 3rd, 2008, 01:50 AM
For good clumps:

Squeeze hair with towel
Apply 4 or so drops of coconut oil, scrunching my hair up in a bun behind my head

DO NOT TOUCH until dry

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
I just tried plopping for the first time this morning and I LOVE IT!!!! I've got clumps like I've never had in my life and have already received a remark. "When did you get a perm?" Tee hee!!!

curly girl fla
July 3rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
I think I get the best clumps hands down from KCKT and KCCC (with a teeny bit of BRHG on top). I always plop in a curlease or flour sak towel. This is working really well in the humidity (for 3 days now), but was very inconsistent in the winter, so I'm still experimenting since it seems to take away some volume. The harderst part for me no matter what is not touching my hair until it's fully dry-ain't ever gonna happen....

MoonCreature
July 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm not a curlie but this is what my 1c/2a looks like after aloe-vera gel, jojobaoil/sheabutter and drying in a bun. Still some frizz but I wasn't aming for clumps so I fiddled with the hair a bit while it dried.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x308/finblackonyx/erica/clumping.jpg

Jorchet
July 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I don't blow-dry my hair, I prefer air-dry. As for clumps, I apply leave-in cream and gel upside-down raking and scrunching, then with a paddle brush I brush the length only and with a comb I separate the clumps (I used to comb only, but it gives me thinner curls and more frizz and volume), plop for 30 mins and air-dry. I love the results I get from this.

KittyCat
July 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Holy Moly, I tried a Garnier Fructis Gel today and oooohh lala!
I divided my hair in half and combed the gel throuh with a widetoothed comb. I didn't even have to rake my hair because the gel clumped my hair into big curls. This is my new affair!:p

Curlsgirl
July 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Holy Moly, I tried a Garnier Fructis Gel today and oooohh lala!
I divided my hair in half and combed the gel throuh with a widetoothed comb. I didn't even have to rake my hair because the gel clumped my hair into big curls. This is my new affair!:p

I used to love the Garnier Fructis soft curl creme. But it built up very badly in my hair and even the day after I felt my hair getting icky. So I quit using it. It gave GREAT curl definition and hold though!

Tangles
July 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The line between clumpy and ropey is so fine, I dare not approach it.:rolleyes:

maja04
July 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I apply gel to dripping wet hair and leave it to air dry and when it's dry, I take a tiny drop of glycerin in my palms and scrunch the hair. This gives me lots of shiny clumps or beautiful locks as i prefer to say. ;)

orangeeyecrayon
July 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
i normaly put a little of the gell near the roots ont eh top than flip my head over and scrunch in the gel than i flip it back up and just scrunch again.

i get pretty good clumps, which look super good when scrunched again when my hair is dry

KittyCat
July 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I used to love the Garnier Fructis soft curl creme. But it built up very badly in my hair and even the day after I felt my hair getting icky. So I quit using it. It gave GREAT curl definition and hold though!

I stay away from Fructis Lotions/Waxes etc too.
The bad think about the Fructis Gels : 2nd day hair does not look as nice. Fresh hair is a dream ,but it doesn't hold the curls together like othe gels. Oh well!

Mangachan
July 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Leave-in conditioner and aloe vera gel. Those are the things I use and they give my curls pretty good definition. I either rake through it with my hands or use a denman brush like Cichelle posted back on page 4. My hair looks cute even if it's not defined so I don't do all that alot.

jessie58
July 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I am just making a happy anouncement! I did nothing any different to my hair today. I just rinsed with water and then combed through a bit of AG Megamoist conditioner, as a leave in, as usual. For some reason, I had perfect clumping curls and even ringlets. My hair was perfect today.

Just braggin' on myself, since it never happens otherwise. :silly:

curly girl fla
July 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I am just making a happy anouncement! I did nothing any different to my hair today. I just rinsed with water and then combed through a bit of AG Megamoist conditioner, as a leave in, as usual. For some reason, I had perfect clumping curls and even ringlets. My hair was perfect today.

Just braggin' on myself, since it never happens otherwise. :silly:

Yay! Surprise clumps and ringlets rule!!! Gotta love the unanticipated and unsolicited good hair days, but I always still wonder why they don't always happen under identical conditions...

Siava
July 11th, 2008, 06:23 AM
^ Because curls have attitude. *nod*

Curlsgirl
July 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Just braggin' on myself, since it never happens otherwise. :silly::cheese: Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

:D This is right on.

missy60
July 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM

I just love this post!

groque
July 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I flip my head over apply whatever product I am using at that time. then I flip back over. scruch with hair spray. I do my make up and rescrunch with hair spray. I do this about three more times making sure to wait for a bit before rescrunching with hair spray and my curls are soft and full and because I am scrunching it is not hard from the hairspray.

KittyCat
July 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
To all the Gel users:

Gel always has this slight dry feeling. Does it dry out the hair automatically? How often do you wash your hair when you use gel? Can you withstand the urge to wash more often?

Riot Crrl
July 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM
To all the Gel users:

Gel always has this slight dry feeling. Does it dry out the hair automatically? How often do you wash your hair when you use gel? Can you withstand the urge to wash more often?

I tend to think that whether it dries out hair depends on the gel, and what if anything is used underneath it.

I get my hair wet and condition it every day whether I use gel or not (I know, I know) and that removes the gel. Other people can get up in the morning and spray with a little water or something to reactivate the gel. I never mastered this.

KittyCat
July 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
It does depend on which gel I use, but even the "moisturizing" ones always have a slight dry, gel-like feel. I was just wondering how some curlies can use mousse or gel and rewet their hir after three days. When I use gel I have to cowash more often.
Reviving hair by spritzing is also not possible with my hair.

sexyjacksparrow
July 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Loving this thread. I am definitely goign to have to try out some of these suggestions as my hair hardly ever seems to get those nice shiny clumpy cirls.

Kerry xx

Siava
July 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
To all the Gel users:

I don't know if it automatically dries the hair out - depends on what's in it. I use a cone-free gel (only a little bit because my hair isn't all that long) and my hair isn't dried out. I do scrunch the crunch out when my hair is fully dry. That helps a lot I think. For now I go 2-3 days before washing. I could go 4 days, but then realizing how long its been since a wash traumatizes me. :lol: I finger comb or wide tooth comb and put my hair up, or spritz with water (with a little bit of shea butter oil in it) and scrunch it back into place. 'Course, it's not as great as a freshly washed head of curls, but it looks decent enough.

Curlsgirl
December 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Reviving this thread. I'm having problems with clumps this winter. The things that were working when I started this thread are not working as well now. :confused:

suicides_eve
December 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM
i am having a similar winter problem too. My hair is blah even with gel. the air maybe here is so dry. i've been gell'n ,misting then srunching and it help bring some moisture back to my curls

Honey39
December 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I find my hair clumps best when I let it air dry from sopping wet - I am getting fabulous curls!! I tend to co-wash my hair in the am, and then let it air dry for 2 hours in a very very warm room; I'm off work at the moment, so it's working beautifully, but not sure how practical it is. But my hair seems to adore a combo of leave in conditioner and being soaking wet to clump well....

Not very practical, sorry.

jessie58
December 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, the only way I get clumps lately is from soaking wet hair left to dry. It's nearly impossible to have soaking hair hanging there to dry in the freezing cold winter time though. I did get some semi decent clumps today when I spritzed my ends pretty heavily though.

Debra83
December 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I clicked on the mixed chicks add (ended up ordering) even though I'm caucasian I have very frizzy, kinky hair - starting at ears down. Well I did their technique (watched their videos) and used some conditioner straight out of the bottle (cream), never even combed just scrunched and I got my signature picture. Couldn't believe after all these years on the planet that I had curls like that.

jessie58
December 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Debra, thanks for the info, I'm going to look at their site now.

jessie58
December 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I just watched all the Mixed Chicks videos. Talk about hair perfection. I want my hair to look exactly like theirs. Gah, they have gorgeous heads of hair. One thing that I have been reluctant to do is to put so much leave in on my hair after washing/conditioning. I think I will stop being such a chicken and just do it their way and see what happens.

darkwaves
December 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM
jessie58 -- I agree! Awesome curls.

Now I am so tempted to order that Mixed chicks leave-in... and deep conditioner... and...

ETA -- And yikes! The cost plus shipping plus... I used to like naturally curly .com, but they are all about UPS now, and I will not use them because of their hidden, exorbitant fees.

girlcat36
December 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Do they list ingredients on the Mixed Chicks site? I couldn't find a list.

jessie58
December 14th, 2008, 09:34 PM
jessie58 -- I agree! Awesome curls.

Now I am so tempted to order that Mixed chicks leave-in... and deep conditioner... and...

ETA -- And yikes! The cost plus shipping plus... I used to like naturally curly .com, but they are all about UPS now, and I will not use them because of their hidden, exorbitant fees.

Darkwaves, I just got a shipment of something from the U.S. the other day from U.P.S. and they charged me $85 dollars on top of what the lady paid to ship it, which was $75.00. What a ridiculous rip off.

missy60
December 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wow I have never had to pay anything extra after the shipping has been paid. I had been noticing lately that things seems to ship cheaper from UPS. I will have to be careful, but so far I havent noticed any extra charges for shipping.

jessie58 you will be surprised how much conditioner curly hair can handle. I really was surprised and with my super fine hair and all it always gives me added curl.

jessie58
December 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Crikey!!! I just priced it out to order two items from Mixed Chicks and the shipping to Canada was $100.00. Forget it. Nonsense.

Debra83
December 15th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I got mine from a place in Toronto because the shipping costs were so high. Am I allowed to post the site here? It was from Honey fig in Toronto. You can look up the places on the mixed chicks site that are close to you that deal with the stuff. Sorry, I shoulda mentioned that part but I forgot. It cost me 13.53 for shipping because I ordered it to get here as fast as possible. But it was cheaper if you let it come in about 10-14 days. I wanted it before Christmas.

Debra83
December 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Do they list ingredients on the Mixed Chicks site? I couldn't find a list.

I emailed them for the ingredients before I ordered because I have to be careful as my son has a life-threatening peanut allergy and we have to stay away from all nuts and nut oils. They were quick to send a complete listing of all their products. Please note I haven't tried it yet (it hasn't arrived, but what I saw on their videos sold me on it.). This is what they sent.

MIXED CHICKS ingredients

shampoo
water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, tea lauryl sulfate, cocamide MEA, glycol disterate, panthenol, avocado oil, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed soy protein, ginger (zinglber officinale) extract, malvasylvestris (mallow) extract, borage (borago officinalis) seed oil, cinnmidopropyl trimonium chloride, polyqatermium 10, allantoin, citric acid, tetrasodium edtal, sodium chloride, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, fd&c yellow #5, fd&c yellow #6
deep conditioner
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Octamethylcyclotetraxiloxane, Safflower Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate and C 14-18 Perfluoroalkyethyl Thiohydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride and Benzoic Acid and Glycereth – 2 Cocoate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance

leave-in conditioner

Water, Glycerin, stearalkonium chloride, amodimethicone, emulsifying wax, hydrolyzed wheat protein/pvp crosspolymer, methylgluceth-20, hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, octyl methoxycinnamate, hydroxyethyl cellulose, jojoba oil, safflower oil, primrose oil, wheat amino acid, crosilk, hydrolyzed collagen (marine), phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, fd&cyellow#5, fragrance.

hair silk (shine serum)
CYCLOMETHICONE (AND) DIMETHICONOL, DIMETHICONE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, PANTHENOL (PRO VITAMIN B5) ETHYL ESTER OF HYDROLYZED SILK, PHENOXETHANOL, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM).

But email them as well for the list.

jessie58
December 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Debra, you are awesome, thanks for all the information. :cloud9:

Curlsgirl
December 15th, 2008, 06:03 AM
You enablers!!! Thank goodness these products have cones and I am pretty much cone-free. (wipes sweat off brow) :eyebrows:

Yes I like to use a lot of leave-in too and leave my hair as wet as possible to dry but in the winter months just cannot do it. Yesterday I washed my hair at 5 p.m. and it wasn't dry at 10 when I went to bed. And I had even diffused the roots a bit and use a microfiber towel to blot dry. :rolleyes: Wahhhhhhhh, I am ready for Spring!!!

Curlsgirl
December 15th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Crikey!!! I just priced it out to order two items from Mixed Chicks and the shipping to Canada was $100.00. Forget it. Nonsense.

:thud: Faints dead out..

Debra83
December 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Debra, you are awesome, thanks for all the information. :cloud9:

You are very welcome! :)

I won't know until it gets here if the product makes a huge difference or it is all in their technique of applying. I do know that they went to a lab and found out certain things about hair, etc. It's all in the videos...I can't imagine getting better results than what I got with my own conditioner using their technique (below). But as I'm so grateful for the info, I'll happily help them by purchasing a bottle of their stuff. (at the better shipping for me though, from Toronto!!!)

jessie58
December 16th, 2008, 01:05 AM
You are very welcome! :)

I won't know until it gets here if the product makes a huge difference or it is all in their technique of applying. I do know that they went to a lab and found out certain things about hair, etc. It's all in the videos...I can't imagine getting better results than what I got with my own conditioner using their technique (below). But as I'm so grateful for the info, I'll happily help them by purchasing a bottle of their stuff. (at the better shipping for me though, from Toronto!!!)

After listening to how they came up with their formula, I think I'd like to give it a try. They said that many of the products for black women contained too much oils and the other products made hair too dry. So they combined ingredients until they came up with the perfect combination. Also apparently there is no protein in their leave in and deep treatment. I'm glad you mentioned the shipping from Toronto. That I can handle. I really do want to try this stuff.

Curlsgirl
December 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM
If anyone tries this give us a review ASAP okay?? :cheese:

Debra83
December 17th, 2008, 12:33 AM
If anyone tries this give us a review ASAP okay?? :cheese:
I got my order today, so I'll try it in the morning and see how it works! I'll let you all know tomorrow night when I get back from my 2nd job. :D

darkwaves
December 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm interested in how this works, too -- and I'm also in shock over those $100 shipping charges!!! (Not to mention that 110&#37; markup jessie58 got from UPS! I can't imagine how they get away with it.)

girlcat36
December 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the ingredients list, Debra. Looks like I'm out--it has cones!

GlassEyes
December 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
Speaking as someone who HAS the mixed chicks leave in, I wouldn't recommend it too much, but if you do get it, it acts more as a gel than anything else, and there's a learning curve. If you don't use enough, you get fuzz, and if you use too much, you get sticky, stiff hair.

If you use the right amount and follow the website technique, you do get soft, defined hair. If you buy the entire system, it probably works better than what I did, since the conditioners and such are deigned to impart more moisture than the leave-in, I believe. I jsut added it into my previous curly routine.

I much prefer CO and oil.

PHOENIX MOON
December 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hey all,
I have the ultimate curl enhancer/protector/anti-fizz method for my hair. Get some leave in conditioner, get a spritzer bottle and put in the leave in conditioner and some water <a third of leave in conditioner to two thirds water, put a bit more water in if it is VO5 or if your hair is liable to go crunchy when products are added to it>. Then shake it until it is all mixed in together.
Spray the hair with it <mainly at the roots and middle bit of the hair whilst the hair is wet. Comb through with detangler comb <the double toothed comb used with styling products>. Then put fingers flat like a comb through hair at the roots, then fluff the hair slightly as if to make volume/body at the roots. This action will make your hair form natural curves/waves at the roots. DO NOT SCRUNCH HAIR! Lightly re-spray roots with mixture from spritzer bottle. Leave to air dry!
There you go protected gorgeous silky curls, without a crunch to be seen!

jessie58
December 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
Speaking as someone who HAS the mixed chicks leave in, I wouldn't recommend it too much, but if you do get it, it acts more as a gel than anything else, and there's a learning curve. If you don't use enough, you get fuzz, and if you use too much, you get sticky, stiff hair.

If you use the right amount and follow the website technique, you do get soft, defined hair. If you buy the entire system, it probably works better than what I did, since the conditioners and such are deigned to impart more moisture than the leave-in, I believe. I jsut added it into my previous curly routine.

I much prefer CO and oil.

Thanks for the review GlassEyes. I had that same problem with Curly Hair Solutions. There was definitely a learning curve and the products did not really work well individually.

Curlsgirl
December 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the review GlassEyes. I had that same problem with Curly Hair Solutions. There was definitely a learning curve and the products did not really work well individually.

That also sounds like the Kinky curly knot today leave-in and curling custard. I still have a hard time getting the right balance and correct amounts of each of these. When I do it's awesome but it's a hit or miss thing.

RedButterfly
December 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I get good clumps with the combination of jojoba oil, Suave Humectant and LA Look Mega Hold Gel.

Loreal Nutrigloss conditioner and Tresemme mega gel also gives me good clumps.

RocketDog
December 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM
I get good definition by fingercombing my soaking-wet hair, then not touching it AT ALL until it is fully dry. Once it's dry, I turn my head upside-down and fluff up JUST the roots, then spritz the length with a teensy bit of water, then go upside-down again for another root-fluff. The second fluffing makes the water-spritzed hair form nice curls, and viola! Product-free definition that lasts... as long as you keep your fingers out of your hair, that is ;)

Rini
December 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
HI Curlsgirl!!! :waving:

I've been having success lately with putting a generous amount of AVG gel in sopping wet hair and then air drying. Always turns out great!

Merry christmas!!!

jessie58
December 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
I get good clumps with the combination of jojoba oil, Suave Humectant and LA Look Mega Hold Gel.

Loreal Nutrigloss conditioner and Tresemme mega gel also gives me good clumps.

RedButterfly, I just saw your hair in your avatar and siggy. :thud:

snowbird
December 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hi all!

This may seem daft, or overly specific to my own hair, but the best way for me to get clumps is to....sleep on it. literally. The problem is that 'clumps' is an intermediary stage before 'dreads' so the number of days is limited.

Debra83
December 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hi All, Christmas Day...I know weird time to try something new!...but I wanted to see what the Mixed Chicks did if I was able to do it correctly...I only conditioner washed this morning...maybe I should of cond-shamp-cond then used the product...let's see if I can post the silly thing (I always have trouble with this part)

?????????????!!!!!!!

arrrggghh!! I don't understand...I copied the shortcut from my pic in my album...then I came here and clicked on the little mountain picture thingy...then I pasted my url...and all I got was a little box with an x in it? At the bottom left, it says I may not post attachments and that my html code is turned off...does that have anything to do with it? Sigh. Please go to my album and see my Dec 25 pic, which after all this, isn't that great anyway.

Oh well, I hope you all had a blessed and wonderful Christmas and I hope this New Year will be the gateway to bigger and better things than 2008. :D

RedButterfly
January 9th, 2009, 12:43 AM
RedButterfly, I just saw your hair in your avatar and siggy. :thud:

Jessie58,
Thank you for the compliment! Your hair looks beautiful in your siggy photo too. :)

darkwaves
January 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Hi all!

This may seem daft, or overly specific to my own hair, but the best way for me to get clumps is to....sleep on it. literally. The problem is that 'clumps' is an intermediary stage before 'dreads' so the number of days is limited. Agreed! My hair is great when I sleep on it wet, don't comb, sleep with it loose, etc.

But yes, it starts to dread in a few days, so time to start over.

rhubarbarin
January 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hi all!

This may seem daft, or overly specific to my own hair, but the best way for me to get clumps is to....sleep on it. literally. The problem is that 'clumps' is an intermediary stage before 'dreads' so the number of days is limited.

That worked great for me until my hair was a few inches past shoulder.. now it works great for all the hair above my shoulders, but my length and ends get seriously wonky (I think because my hair is very broken and thin farther down, there's no weight to straighten out the curls). Still it's my preferred method to dry my hair if I know I'm going to be wearing it up!

snowbird
January 10th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Agreed! My hair is great when I sleep on it wet, don't comb, sleep with it loose, etc.

But yes, it starts to dread in a few days, so time to start over.

Alas, this works too well for me if I fall asleep with my hair wet....I wake up with perfect compact sausage curls...that are about 3" long. Then I spend the day explain the relationship of curl shrinkage to gravity to everyone who asks if I cut my hair.

jessie58
January 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Snowbird, that is funny. Do you still have that awesome big hair or has it grown down now?

jessie58
January 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I am still on a quest to find clumpy curls. Besides Water Only, I'm not having that much luck. I am in the midst of trying a couple of new products and if I'm successful, I'll post about it here.

EmpressRi
January 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
After washing and deep conditioning, I use a leave in on each section, go through the section with my denman and then put on my styling product and smooth over it with the palms of my hands. That's it! It took long enough for me to figure out how to get them too.

jessie58
January 11th, 2009, 01:34 AM
After washing and deep conditioning, I use a leave in on each section, go through the section with my denman and then put on my styling product and smooth over it with the palms of my hands. That's it! It took long enough for me to figure out how to get them too.

EmpressRi, what products do you use?

deRosa
January 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hi all!

I have the same experience. I have 2C hair and it's spiraling. I have huge problems with dreads forming all the time. For some reason the best way for me to detangle is with a bit of oil and a boar bristle brush but this technique destroys the curl pattern to some degree even though I only do it before washing. How often do you all need to comb or brush the hair, with what, when and how??? I'm between bra strap and waist length and want it to be waist but it's getting harder and harder to take care of my hair. I even do updos and other protective styles most of the time. Please help me if you can.

Thank you :-)

jessie58
January 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
When I sleep on mine, I get flat, lifeless hair. Whether I sleep on it wet or dry. I'm jealous of all you guys.

SaveTheTapirs
January 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I loves me some clumps! Haha...Sleeping on wet hair usually does the trick, but I only do this about once a week. On the other days I oil from the ears down, which helps with frizz. And obviously no dry combing unless I really need it. I recently switched to no cones and CO. I guess I'm loosely following the Curly Girl method. We'll see if that gives me nice clumps!

boomygrrl
January 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
To me, it's more technique and type of product than actual product itself. What I mean is almost any ol' creamy leave-in conditioner will do for me. I have used Redken Fresh Curls leave-in and Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave-in...one is a salon one and the other is like $4 from the grocery store. I also have some other leave-ins but they aren't as creamy. When I use them, I use a curl cream on top, such as MOP C, Biotera curl creams.
My hair smoothes out and clumps real well with creamy.
I put it on wet hair (it has to be wet, not damp), then lightly finger comb, then scrunch with my fingers (I might add spirals with my fingers too).
I have fine textured hair, but a lot of it. Gels just make my hair sticky and frizzy and doesn't contribute to clumping at all.

jessie58
January 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
To me, it's more technique and type of product than actual product itself. What I mean is almost any ol' creamy leave-in conditioner will do for me. I have used Redken Fresh Curls leave-in and Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave-in...one is a salon one and the other is like $4 from the grocery store. I also have some other leave-ins but they aren't as creamy. When I use them, I use a curl cream on top, such as MOP C, Biotera curl creams.
My hair smoothes out and clumps real well with creamy.
I put it on wet hair (it has to be wet, not damp), then lightly finger comb, then scrunch with my fingers (I might add spirals with my fingers too).
I have fine textured hair, but a lot of it. Gels just make my hair sticky and frizzy and doesn't contribute to clumping at all.

I've just got some new cream to try now and I'll see how it stacks up against gel. I seldom use anything but am now convinced that I must have something on my canopy in order to tame it.

snowbird
January 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Snowbird, that is funny. Do you still have that awesome big hair or has it grown down now?

shoulder-width and still proud to defy gravity. Just added a new pic to my hair album too :)

snowbird
January 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have the same experience. I have 2C hair and it's spiraling. I have huge problems with dreads forming all the time. For some reason the best way for me to detangle is with a bit of oil and a boar bristle brush but this technique destroys the curl pattern to some degree even though I only do it before washing. How often do you all need to comb or brush the hair, with what, when and how??? I'm between bra strap and waist length and want it to be waist but it's getting harder and harder to take care of my hair. I even do updos and other protective styles most of the time. Please help me if you can.

Thank you :-)

We are different hair types, for instance I could never use a BBB on my hair :yikes!:

Bearing in mind that I have really wild hair and like it that way; I usually let it go for a few days before detangling, and then do it all at once in the shower with a very wide tooth comb.

Rohele
January 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm wondering how does one form bigger clumps as opposed to smaller clumps? When I try I get stringy waves and curls, and I would like to have nice fat juicy waves and curls.

I have to be careful as my son has a life-threatening peanut allergy and we have to stay away from all nuts and nut oils.

Sorry, off topic I know, but I just wanted to say my son is PA and TNA too.:(
I've been reading labels to find a heavier, moisturising, condish with no cones or nut oils - this combo is hard to find.

jessie58
January 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'm wondering how does one form bigger clumps as opposed to smaller clumps? When I try I get stringy waves and curls, and I would like to have nice fat juicy waves and curls.

This is exactly what I am in search of.

lapushka
January 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I love Jessicurl products, esp. the styling products (GS, RR & CCSS) but both shampoos as well. I don't buy the conditioners or anything else. I had been trying sl(e)s shampoos again without using any conditioner and recently saw myself in a picture with major frizz. The frizz ended by going Jessicurl again (no sl(e)s and alcohol free styling). Yay! It does make a difference!

missy60
January 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
lapushka you must try her conditioners they are great! They are more expensive but they really do last a long time.

lapushka
January 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
lapushka you must try her conditioners they are great! They are more expensive but they really do last a long time.

I know. :) Tried the Aloeba, tried the WDT (in a little test kit) and the TooShea. I have some great conditioners at home that do just as well and don't cost that much, so I'm sticking with those. I do still have half a jar of TooShea that I'm cherishing. :D

jessie58
January 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I always hear great things about Jessicurl. When I finish my current pile of stuff, I`ll have to try it too.

Today I used WO to rinse my hair and then didn`t comb. I just squeezed the water out and put on lots of Marc Anthony Curl Cream. So far, I have some pretty decent clumps happening.

Rohele
January 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
This is exactly what I am in search of.

If I figure anything out I'll post it (not holding my breath LOL). I see you're having some success this morning though. :)

I'm starting to wonder if my hair is not quite wavy enough for some of the curly methods. I get some loose ringlets around my face, but the wave really tapers off as you travel towards the back of my head. I had better luck last night combing it after it was dry ( a big no-no, I know), and then twirling chunks with a slight bit of oil.

jessie58
January 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
The Marc Anthony was too light for my hair and by the time it dried, the canopy was all separated and wavy and the underside was very curly.

Today I tried Marc Anthony Curl Cream and then put the AG re:coil on top but that was a no go as well. All I got was stringy, separated waves. *sigh*

Rohele
January 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Finally, some success! :D

I changed up my styling routine a bit.

I applied a light coating of jojoba oil UNDER some AG recoil (used to apply oil after drying), and modified how I scrunched it. First I combed it after product was applied (for some reason this reduces frizz for me). Then I twisted sections (I had read manderly's article on creating waves and did something similar, only in smaller sections), and gathered up the sections in my palm and pressed them to the side of my head to create waves (similar to how one would create waves with a diffuser). Let it dry and didn't touch it any more.

I got beautiful chunky separated waves. They even looked OK after sleeping on them. Ran some more oil over them in the morning and they defined themselves again.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm thrilled - after two months of hideous hair it looks good! Now I just hope this isn't a fluke and I can do it a second time, but for today I'm just going to enjoy the success. :D

jessie58
January 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Dang that sounds complicated but worth it Rohele. We should start posting pics of successes.

Rohele
January 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Yes.

I need to figure out how to use photobucket so I can post pics. I don't think I have enough posts yet to be allowed to do that yet though (but soon, soon...).