PDA

View Full Version : Is your hair lighter at the ends than the top?

monsterna
July 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Well, is it? Mine is definitely that way. I can tell even more when I take my ends and plop them on my scalp. The color difference is very noticeable then. Except it seems to be redder on the bottom, which doesn't make sense to me, really. I did have highlights when my hair was a LOT shorter, a year and a half ago, and I haven't trimmed since then. However, those were only on a few inches of hair. No more than around 5 inches at the longest hairs, I'd imagine. It's obviously grown quite a bit since then and even higher up than 5 inches is still lighter than my scalp hair. It's not very noticeable when it's down, I don't think.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has this without chemical aid. I know the highlights are still there somewhat in mine, but even virgin hair above them are lighter. Could it be sun? ACV?? :) Either way, I like it.

neko_kawaii
July 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Oh my yes. Probably the thing I like most about my hair. It is a rather dark brown at the roots but by the tips it is faded almost red. One of my favorite things to do with my hair is to do a partial bun and have the rest splayed sticking up on top. Just sun bleached from every day wear. Nothing applied to assist the change. I'm guessing it really depends on your hair if it will do this though.

MoonlightShadow
July 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
my hair isn't that way...i dont think, but i do have a few friends who hair was like that.. i think maye it was because of the sun, but she still had beautiful hair :)

DuckyDot
July 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Yep - my hair is extremely sun bleached. It goes from dark to light brown. It looks like i'm growing out dye - even though I have and have always had vrigin hair. I don't mind it, but I would like to have my hair all Dark.

Lostsoule77
July 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
My hair usually does this. It's definitely from the sun. When I was younger the top of my head was light brown and the bottom was bleach blonde from spending all summer, every summer, in the pool half the day!

Peter
July 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Yep. It's not normally noticeable, but if I put my ends against the top of my head, the fading is obvious. I think it's just sun-bleaching over time. I've never dyed my hair.

Also I think the colour difference is kinda pretty. :D

MissHair
July 8th, 2011, 04:50 PM
When I was younger my ends were always lighter than at the roots. I think that was due to sunbleaching. But recently my ends have been darker due to poor dying and dryness. Even after a cut my ends always end up darker for some reason.

soopahgrover
July 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Yup! It's one of the things that makes me delay trips to get a haircut. My hair always looks darker after a haircut, because what gets cut off is always lighter than what gets left behind.

hyettf16
July 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah and it looks very different in some lights, if it's really bright my ends look red while the rest looks dark brown.

adiapalic
July 8th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yep. It's dark brown at the roots, and noticeably redder at the tips... mainly because the base pigment of my hair is red. All natural sun bleaching. When I use updos that leave the ends a little loose, it's so different it almost looks like I'm wearing a hair piece. :bluebiggr

gthlvrmx
July 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yes yes, it's normal :p The obvious sign that your hair has been there for a while!

Though mine were extremely obvious sometimes, the band kids would always ask me if i got streaks/highlights or how often i dye my hair when we had a parade and they saw ends next to my top hair :) Made me laugh.

freckles
July 9th, 2011, 02:55 AM
yep. It's not a huge difference, but my hair is lighter and redder at the ends.

Krentje
July 9th, 2011, 06:05 AM
My avatar is the colour of my hair around chin length. You have to imagine the roots are dark brown... (not all though, some are blond all the way up). I did use honey lightning a couple of times, but even without i get the extreme ombre look, especially in autumn!

The ends are brushing-BSL length at the moment and they are blonde. It doesn't look or feel damaged.

Thinthondiel
July 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM
It's not lighter at the ends than at the roots, but that's because I'm growing out dye. It's lighter at the roots and the ends than the rest of my hair. :)

umbrellabones
July 9th, 2011, 07:18 AM
If I let my hair down all summer the ends turn goldish blond. the top stays dark brown. I'm not a fan:p

ArienEllariel
July 9th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Yep. :rolleyes: I wish all my hair was the color of my ends, which is more golden dark blonde. The roots are ashy and mousey colored.

lesbia
July 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Yes also mine! My roots are light brown and my ends are blonde! I think it is because of the sun because also the upper part of my hair (the part which is exposed at sun when I wear a bun or a ponytail) is lighter :) I like it!

Deborah
July 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My hair is like this too, but in my case IT IS NOT THE SUN. I wear my hair up and covered with a fabric covering (Christian) all day long, so the sun does not get to it. Yours may not be sun either. I assumed the same thing until I realized that my hair has been completely covered since 1995.:shrug:

spidermom
July 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Nope, mine is darker; I'm going from golden blonde to silver.

McFearless
July 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have three toned hair going on right now. My roots are black, mid length is reddish brown(its more like a thick ring of colour) and then it goes back to black from shoulder to waist. I tried to dye the red horizontal stripe but it didn't work. I'm just going to grow it out I guess.