PDA

View Full Version : Is all that yours?

mysticfishtales
July 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Yesterday my 10 yr old asked if all my hair was mine.
How many of you out there have gotten the same question?

Spring
July 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
That is an annoying question that I get even wearing my hair in a boring bun! :rollin:

QueenJoey
July 8th, 2011, 03:10 PM
That's my favorite hair comment! I started getting it when I reached BSL, and I love the shock on people's faces when I tell them "no extensions, this is all mine." :)

1953Diygal
July 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've had two people who have just assumed my hair was extensions. One was a teacher at my school. The other is a hairdresser at the salon where I get my hair cut.

I can always spot extensions or clip-in hair because it looks like they have all this length exploding from behind their ears.

Macaroni
July 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that question :)

RakelMusicbox
July 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Get asked this regularly by my family (don't know why my family is still asking me!) and strangers.
It's then usually followed by "Isn't it hard to have it so long?" / "How did you get it to grow that long?" which I always thought were weird questions.

archel
July 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Well I have clip in falls and hair pieces so it's a fair question :)

UltraBella
July 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I get asked that a lot.

An aunt I am not close to told everyone at my Uncle's funeral that I had hair extensions. My cousins told her that if she had ever spent any time with me, she would know I have had this much hair my whole life. I was so irritated.......

MoonlightShadow
July 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
my mom usually asks me this question when i take my hair down...i dont' really mind when strangers ask, but the random touching is kinda starting to get to me :(...i use to think it would be flattering when someone touches my hair and asks if it's real, but i guess i dont think that way anymore

kitschy
July 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Yesterday my 10 yr old asked if all my hair was mine.
How many of you out there have gotten the same question?

I just get asked if mine is natural...I assume they mean the curl, but I have a lot of hair, so who knows?

slz
July 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I've found the best comeback : "they don't make extensions that long". I swear, one day I'll be cranky enough to retort "and are thoose your boobs ?". Sheesh, I find this a very annoying question.

Lostsoule77
July 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I haven't gotten this yet and hope I never do. I think it would annoy me. Most people I come in contact with know that it's my hair. I'm kinda shy and introverted so I try to put a "stay away from me" air when I'm in unfamiliar surroundings so this kinda keeps people from talking to me. :)

Helix
July 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I've only gotten this one a few times and hair isn't even long yet. One broad even had the nerve to give it an nice tug just to make sure I wasn't lying to her...it took all the self-restraint in me not to tug at hers. I was keeping it classy that day.

I had a coworker ask me "so, is that your hair?" I replied "yes." "Really? Your hair-hair?" she says. I gave up trying to convince her verbally and just un-twisted one of my twists in front of her just so she could see I don't use extension hair to do them.

Just another reason why I want hair that's too long to be extensions.

pepperminttea
July 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I swear, one day I'll be cranky enough to retort "and are thoose your boobs ?".

:spitting:

St.Germain
July 9th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Back when I was a uni sophomore (circa 2007), I worked in the uni library, and one day I was wearing my hair in a french braid, just hanging down my back. It was waist-hip length braided, and some random guy asked, "Is your hair real?"

Well, being behind the times, fashion-wise, as is my usual state of being, I was unaware that hair extensions were a common sort of thing that regular people had. So the only response I could manage was to look perplexedly at my braid and say, "Yes?"

ilovelonghair
July 9th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I wish people asked! Must mean I don't have much hair I guess?

RitaCeleste
July 9th, 2011, 06:13 AM
People only comment on my hair when I dye it funny colors like burgundy, or different shades of red. I never have anyone think I didn't grow the hair. Makes me think they take one look at it and just know no one would buy that!:( That or they've seen me around enough to know I'm too busy coloring it to go for a weave. Small towns are kinda like that. Yep, its still long, its what color this time?

Madora
July 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Oh, yes, I was asked this question several times! Coupled sometimes with "Is it real?"

I was blessed with very, very thick hair back in the day and liked to wear intricate braided hairstyles (which were pretty rare back then). One day I wore my "Braids Galore" 9 multibraids, plus two extra on each side, to work and a pair of sweet nuns asked if my hair was real.

One time a young lady followed me and I became a little edgy and paused to watch HER. She apologized and said she only wanted to know how I had braided my hair and had been trying to study it as she walked behind me. (I had braided it in 6 mini braids, then had tied the braids together at my nape, then repeated the tieing (at intervals) down the length of the braid. Admitedly, it was far out, for me, but I was feeling adventurous that day and went for it!)

kellsouth
July 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I got this question a lot back when I wore my hair in one long braid on a regular basis. I wasn't aware how common extensions were, so the question always puzzled me. They usually followed that up with another inane question like "How do you wash it?" or "How do you brush it?" or worse... "What do you do with it when you go to the bathroom?" :confused::confused:

DaydreamGoddess
July 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I have recieved that question many, many times. It can be annoying, but it can also be fun. The last time i got asked that question, my hair was in a regular bun held up with a pencil at work. (my hair tie snapped!) One of my work aquaintences asked if i used hair extentions, and so i took the pencil out of my hair and let it unravel with a simple "nop."
The look on her face was priceless. The only downside to this was that i had random people from my office sneaking up behind me and pulling the pencil out of my hair for the rest of the day. lol. Aparently it was amusing.

janeytilllie
July 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I experinced something very simular yesterday.

I was on the bus and a couple of teenager girls were sat at the back.

I wore my hair up in a braided bun.

I heard one of the girls say " That's a big bun!"
The other girl said " I bet it's not even hers!.

I couldn't help but giggle to myself and think What!???:confused: lol :laugh:

kamikaze hair
July 9th, 2011, 08:35 AM
i always wonder why people ask this question, when most times you can tell when someone has extensions. I couldn't stop laughing when someone posted the smart retort of "are those your real boobs" funnily enough i get both questions often enough (REALLY ANNOYING BY THE WAY) but yeah i always think, well at least people are noticing the length and the niceness of it, i guess my hair cant be looking that bad if i keep getting comments on it.

:cheese:PARTY PARTY PARTY!!!!!! the cheese says PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lunnafindel
July 9th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I get it pretty often, and I vary my responses. Sometimes I say "yup." and smile.
But sometimes I say, "Nope. I stole it." :P
and sometimes I reply "No. It's a wig I wear to see how many people I can fool." just to see their faces.
The cool thing about people talking about my hair is that I can try out every response I want over and over again. :D

Lostsoule77
July 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Daydream goddess, That IS really funny! I would be beyond annoyed if it was happenning to me, but it made me laugh to read about it. Sorry. :(

Angeletti
July 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I get asked this all the time, it's usually right before someone will compliment me on my hair. I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me at all, I just figure that people assume most long hair is fake since extensions are a common thing now.