PDA

View Full Version : Henna, Amla & Indigo gloss: Does anyone have a yummy recipe :)

Nightdragon
July 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I have been trying to craft a first time gloss recipe together. I ordered some Rajasthani henna, Yemen henna, cassia, amla and indigo online and they are en route (yay!!) But I don't have a solid recipe as of yet.

I found out that cassia is a no go for people that used color oops (thank you to this forum for saving me the black streaking mess!!) So I can't use that in my gloss mix :(

My hair is a chemical dyed medium/dark blonde color right now. My natural color is a medium brownish color.

As I have never done henna before, I thought a gloss would be a good place to start as I really want a little color and root covereage but not alot of the henna extreme red. I want a browner result over all, but not dark, so I wasn't going to overdo it on the indigo and henna. But I don't know what I'm doing and need help!

Does anyone know what preportions should be used in a gloss like this?? What sort of conditioner has worked well for glossing?? I live in a small town and don't have easy access to much of the conditioner that I have read other forum people have used in glosses. Thanks guys!! :D

Nightdragon
July 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Oh!! And how much conditioner should be used in preportion to the powders. And what to use for dye release? Lemon juice doesn"t like my hair very much

MauiAngel
July 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hi, I've been hennaing for a few years now. I've also hendigo'd hoping to a rich brown and it came our purply black. So I don't have a good recipe for you, but I suggest that you take a look on the hennaforhair forum through mehandi.com. I'm sure someone over there can suggest something for you :)

pink.sara
July 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I found out that cassia is a no go for people that used color oops (thank you to this forum for saving me the black streaking mess!!) So I can't use that in my gloss mix :(
:D

Threadjack! Sorry as I can't help with your gloss recipe (haven't done one yet) but I was really curious what you meant by this comment?! I've been through most of the cassia threads an can't find anything and I'm curious as I've just used colour remover twice and was about to cassia on top!

Nightdragon
July 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I was reading on a thread somewhere here on this forum about someone that had ussues with using the color remover and then had remnants of sulfer remaining in her hair and those parts turned streaky black!! I'll try to find the thread and post a link to it!

I was sad because I wanted to use cassia in my gloss but now I think it's better to maybe not just in case! Darn!! :(

Nightdragon
July 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-21250.html

Here's the thread that I read

Nightdragon
July 12th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Oh and thank you Maui, I will check out the hennaforhair forum. I looked on their site for all the color mixed and ordered through them for supplies, but I didn't check out the gloss ideas on there. Thanks!! :D

pink.sara
July 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Wow, that's a horror story! Thanks for finding that. I've just used remover to go from black to light auburn, then I Hennaed and straightened and didn't realise henna would darken it to brown. :(
Lots of things seem to interfere with henna and cassia! I think I'm safer with the old box dye!
Good luck with your gloss :)

Nightdragon
July 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I have also read that heat makes the henna hair darker and oxidize to brown, like straightening irons. That scares me a little too but I'm hoping if I stilck to glosses maybe I can keep the hair lighter and then if it darkens slightly with heat it wont be so bad