PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
My hair is growing but my ends thinned out pretty much, should I sacrifice a few inches now and go back to monthly micro trims?? I really want to see if my hair will make it to classic and I'm stubbornly wanting to keep my length but not at the expense of having healthy nice ends..so should I leave it alone and hope that the thickness will travel down or trim it now and let it slowly get to classic????
heres the lastest length shot
well that didn't work lol....heres the link to the album pic
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7085&pictureid=107375

monsterna
July 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Maybe cut off an inch or so and see how that feels. You may not want to cut anymore off than that. Then proceed to doing microtrims? Hope you figure it out. :)

GlassWidow
July 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm nowhere near your length, but if I was determined to get to classic, I would probably let it grow and then trim often to help thicken up the hemline.

What would make you happiest, though?

MonaLisa
July 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I would probably do a trim somewhere in between that length and classic. classic might not feel like classic if you have ends too thin and you don't like them.
But do half inch trim or so. won't hurt and will be back there in a month and can only help the ends :)

Anje
July 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Mine looked like that a few years ago. I've been camping at tailbone for a long time as a result -- it's taken a long time, but my ends are definitely thicker than they were.

In the same position, I basically just trimmed to the same length until my ends were thick enough, and now I'm considering a run at classic. But whether you want to go that route is up to you.

BTW, are you really only a i in thickness? I'd say you look mid-ii to my eyes.

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
thanks for the replies! That was fast :)
my plan was to wait till I reached 41 inches then take off an inch I have 3 inches to go for that, at he rate my hair is growing that will take 6 months! My poor ends maybe nonexistent by then
maybe rethinking the plan is in order lol
the next good trim day is the 13th (by the moon chart) A 1/2 inch won't hurt....MUCH! hahaha!
that will bring me back to the top of TB, I guess I can live with that ;)

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Mine looked like that a few years ago. I've been camping at tailbone for a long time as a result -- it's taken a long time, but my ends are definitely thicker than they were.

In the same position, I basically just trimmed to the same length until my ends were thick enough, and now I'm considering a run at classic. But whether you want to go that route is up to you.

BTW, are you really only a i in thickness? I'd say you look mid-ii to my eyes.

lol yeah my hair is pretty thin, It's on the higher end of i but I have a lot of shorter hairs I'm waiting on so I may reach the lower end of ii someday

Anje
July 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I'm on the low end of ii, clinging tightly to the right to claim that thickness, so it frustrates me to see people with 3 inches of hair marking themselves as i/ii... Your picture looks a lot like my real-life thickness (rather than the perfect-hairday-quick-snap-a-pic state). You'll note I have a dark shirt in my sig pic for a reason.

SpinDance
July 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I've found that when length gets past waist that reality changes. :/ From hip to BCL to TB is quite different from above waist. Since I've found LHC and learned more to protect my ends I'm starting to more hairs growing longer than before. In the past it would start to thin out about BSL, and by the time it was hip or BCL, well, it was just too wispy for words, so I'd get it cut back to about waist. And the cycle continued.

Now the thinning is starting at around my waist, and it is not as thin as it used to get. I've been basically 'maintaining' for most of the time I've been here and for almost all of the last year I've been doing micro trims of about 5 mm every week or three, as it seems to need, as well as fairly regular S&D, but I've done S&D for years, so that's no change.

I credit updo's and regular micro trims for a slow but continual length gain. I've gone from about waist when I joined (having just cut back from BCL) to now I'm hovering at TB. Length has not been my goal, although I'm thrilled to continue to get length. My goal has been healthier hair and a thicker hemline. It is my belief that if I had not been doing the regular trims that the damage I've been cutting out would have eventually resulted in my having to cut back many inches due to additional damage caused by bad ends and I would be very unhappy with the thin ends during that whole time.

I find it hard to be patient but setting my goal as health over length has worked for me. What completely thrills me is that I'm getting length as well, so I consider that a free bonus.

I suggest thinking over what your real goals are, both long term and shorter term. There's no hurry deciding, either, since this is a Long Journey! Enjoy the trip.

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I'm on the low end of ii, clinging tightly to the right to claim that thickness, so it frustrates me to see people with 3 inches of hair marking themselves as i/ii... Your picture looks a lot like my real-life thickness (rather than the perfect-hairday-quick-snap-a-pic state). You'll note I have a dark shirt in my sig pic for a reason.

hahaha! yeah I know what you mean about the shirt thing!
Your hair actually looks a lot thicker then mine though!
Maybe maintaining is the way to go lol But I want it at least half way to classic
before that....ooooh so undecided, sighs

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I've found that when length gets past waist that reality changes. :/ From hip to BCL to TB is quite different from above waist. Since I've found LHC and learned more to protect my ends I'm starting to more hairs growing longer than before. In the past it would start to thin out about BSL, and by the time it was hip or BCL, well, it was just too wispy for words, so I'd get it cut back to about waist. And the cycle continued.

Now the thinning is starting at around my waist, and it is not as thin as it used to get. I've been basically 'maintaining' for most of the time I've been here and for almost all of the last year I've been doing micro trims of about 5 mm every week or three, as it seems to need, as well as fairly regular S&D, but I've done S&D for years, so that's no change.

I credit updo's and regular micro trims for a slow but continual length gain. I've gone from about waist when I joined (having just cut back from BCL) to now I'm hovering at TB. Length has not been my goal, although I'm thrilled to continue to get length. My goal has been healthier hair and a thicker hemline. It is my belief that if I had not been doing the regular trims that the damage I've been cutting out would have eventually resulted in my having to cut back many inches due to additional damage caused by bad ends and I would be very unhappy with the thin ends during that whole time.

I find it hard to be patient but setting my goal as health over length has worked for me. What completely thrills me is that I'm getting length as well, so I consider that a free bonus.

I suggest thinking over what your real goals are, both long term and shorter term. There's no hurry deciding, either, since this is a Long Journey! Enjoy the trip.

Yes! Very hard to be patient!!! my ends don't look bad right now as far as splits/dryness go's, just thin I'm leaning more and more to a nice trim then maintaining for the winter but I think I'll wait til October for the nice trim

silverjen
July 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Normally I'd say trim, but you've got some wonderful fairy tale ends going on in your avatar. If they were mine, and they were healthy, I'd be tempted to keep them. Your whirls are gorgeous.

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Normally I'd say trim, but you've got some wonderful fairy tale ends going on in your avatar. If they were mine, and they were healthy, I'd be tempted to keep them. Your whirls are gorgeous.

thank you, it's grown since then though, and while my ends are healthyish
it's those large gaps that are bothering me, I'm gonna do a tiny trim in a few days then let it go again til October and maintain maybe by next summer I'll have the thick ends I crave