View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Neoma
March 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
My name is Neoma and I am a shampoo bar addict. And, good addict that I am, I am suffering some serious withdrawal pangs from not being able to access the monster CV bar thread.

With that in mind, I am taking the liberty of starting a new shampoo bar thread. I deliberately entitled it this, rather than the CV Bar Thread or some variation thereof, so folks would feel free to talk about the shampoo bar of their choice.

For the uninitiated, a shampoo bar is soap based. There are two major makers that many LHC'ers use: Chagrin Valley (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm)(CV) and Prairieland Herbs (http://prairielandherbs.com/hair.htm) (PLH). There are many other fine soap makers who make good shampoo bars, of course. My favorite is C.O.P.A. soaps (http://copasoaps.com/).

Both the CV and PLH sites offer a good overview of what a shampoo bar is, how it works, issues that you're likely to experience with using a shampoo bar, vinegar rinses, etc. There's also an excellent article on the CV site by Claudia, one of our members: How to Enjoy a Shampoo Bar (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/enjoyshamp.htm).

The original CV bar thread was hundreds of entries long. Heck, I think that it was hundreds of pages long! It included questions and answers about shampoo bar usage and shampoo bar reviews.

I'm going to close this post as the intro to what I hope will become a long, strong, information-packed thread.

Neoma
March 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I thought that I'd kick this off by telling you a little about my experience with shampoo bars.

I first tried shampoo bars a couple of years ago, enabled by the above-referenced monster CV bar thread. My hair loved them the first day or so, then I ended up with a bad case of "the waxies." I tried them off and on for a few months, then threw in the towel.

A few months after I gave up on CV bars, a dear LHC friend and I had a mini-meet, and she gave me a bar of PLH. Long story short, my hair loved PLH shampoo bars, I didn't get the waxies, and a love affair with shampoo bars was born.

Just for the record, I have since gone back primarily to CV bars. I still order PLH bars from time to time. And I buy C.O.P.A. bars whenever I run across them at local street fairs.

Why do I love shampoo bars? Mainly because they give my baby fine hair body unlike any other haircare routine that I've followed. When I use shampoo bars, I can make big, fat updos that don't slip apart. The texture is indefinable.

I do have an issue with the hair on my crown sometimes when I use shampoo bars. But I'm beginning to think that has more to do with "thinning spot" at the front of my head and with changes in hair texture due to hormones than with shampoo bars.

I have a number of routines that I follow when I use shampoo bars. I'll post on them at length in another entry. But my old standby is:

Wet my hair thoroughly
Glide the shampoo bar over my head and the length of my hair
Massage well
Rinse well
Repeat steps 1 - 4
Pour a weak herbed white vinegar with essential oils rinse over my head (I usually don't rinse this out)That's it for now. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

chloeishere
March 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I use shampoo bars too! In fact, if you look under the "Reviews" tab, you'll see a nice little spot to review Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, if you so desire! :cough cough: I started that review, so I'd like to have a few more people on it. I'm afraid I missed something!

Anyway, I've been using CV lately, I recently tried Extra Honey, Beer and Egg, which I got like 4 months ago, and never tried. It works okay, no bad results, but I'm afraid to over-protein myself, so I'm spacing it out with my old favorite Chamomile and Citrus.
I haven't tried Prairieland Herb yet... keep intending to, but never do. I've never heard of C.O.P.A. before-- are ALL their bars appropriate for using on hair?
I did recently place an order with Serpentine Hair. (http://www.serpentinehair.com/products.html) Someone recommended them on TBB (Gemma?), and before I knew it, I had placed an order! I'm a sucker for a snazzy site, and they had the ingredients listed (though not the size). They haven't arrived yet, but I'll be sure to do a review as soon as I've tried them a few times.

My routine (with CV bars):
lather up reall well-- I generally only put the bar onto the areas near my scalp, lather up really well, then move the lather down my length.
Rinse thoroughly
Use citric acid rinse (1.5 teaspoons CA and 1/8 teaspoon ascorbic acid in 1.75 liters-- I don't use the whole bottle every time, obviously!)
Rinse again
Apply conditioner (right now, Trader Joe's nourish spa, mixed with a dab of VO5 pomegranate grapeseed conditioner)
Leave it a few minutes, then rinse with cold water.

I use Manor Hall Deep Conditioner as a leave-in.

Gives great hair, and yes, I've generally found my hair has more texture and body with shampoo bars!

Liluri
March 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
It seems that I am addicted as well. I have a bundle of Chagrin Valley bars. As well as a couple of bars of the shampoo bar from Corrynne's Natural Soap (http://www.soaps.net.au/).

I haven't tried them yet but I am looking forward to trying the shampoo bar that Moon Haven (http://www.moonhaven.com.au/hair.htm) offers as well.

I like the Chagrin Valley bars and will continue to buy them but I like to alternate with Australian shampoo bars as well, so I can support companies that are closer to me.

nowxisxforever
March 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty new to shampoo bars. Another LHCer [Chromis] let me buy some of her CV sample bars off her, and I love them! I've since bought more samples, waiting for a few of the full bars to be orderable.

Yummy, and so good to my hair!! I'm an instant convert. :D

Chromis
March 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty new to shampoo bars. Another LHCer [Chromis] let me buy some of her CV sample bars off her, and I love them! I've since bought more samples, waiting for a few of the full bars to be orderable.

Yummy, and so good to my hair!! I'm an instant convert. :D

Hey, I know you!

I *love* the CV bars. So far my favourites are the nettle, cafe moreno, and marshmallow bars. I just put in order for some more and I'll post up some reveiws when I'm more awake :-)

I use just the shampoo brs, lathering two or three times depending on how my hair is feeling, and follow up with either an ACV or citric acid rinse. For those of you put off by the ACV smell, I humbly suggest trying the organic stuff "with the mother", it smells a *lot* better!

Melisande
March 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I just finished washing my hair with a shampoo bar! It's the Lush Regenerate bar, and I use it only from time to time because it contains SLS. While I normally use gentler cleaning agents, from time to time a SLS wash is necessary, otherwise my hair is sticky.

The Regenerate contains henna and I like it on my hair. The smell is a bit spicey/henna/weird, but not unpleasant. It washes out with ease and foams enough for my taste.

I tried the Lush Godiva but didn't like the heavy jasmine smell. Although the results were pleasant enough. Again, loads of SLS and thus fit only for once-a-month use.

I read that Lush started producing shampoo bars without SLS but I dind't try any other yet.

It was easy to get used to a shampoo bar. I feel I have good control over the amount I use - I soap my hands first and then smooth it over my scalp. I always dilute my shampoo anyway.

We have very hard water here so I didn't try other hair soaps.

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I started to use Prairieland Herbs shampoo bars during our stay at TBB.It took me about a week to get over that initial reaction because I was so used to using commerical shampoo.I run the soap bar 10 times(yes I count lol)down to the nape of my neck,gently scrub and lift up my ends and gently scrub them as well.When my head is covered with the white foam,I rinse and repeat the whole process.Now,I use just plain jane ACV as my rinse and I do not let it stay in there.I let it sit for about 3 minutes while I do some other shower duties and I rinse out the vinegar.I want to try herbed vinegar as soon as I go raid my mom's herb garden.I might be the very few if not the only one that conditions after I do the ACV.I make sure I use a noncone,try my hardest to use Burts Bees or something on that line of natural.I'm getting to that point when I don't have to have the ACV just condition after the last poo rinse.I just might continue the vinegar though,it adds softness and volume.

Like I said,it was hard to begin with but now I can not imagine going back.I did cave in the last time I washed by using Sauve Vanilla Floral and doing my oldie CWC.My hair simply wasn't the same,and I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

Gemma
March 8th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I really like Serpentine Hair bars (http://www.serpentinehair.com). :)

I've tried Prairieland Herbs, CV, Lush, and Oyin bars, all of which were very nice but tended to make my hair a little dull after a few months. I also got a little tired with the same herbal scents. The Serpentine bars have more varied scents, and constant use only makes my hair increasingly happy.

I was going without conditioner the first months of using these bars because they're so conditioning, but my dry scalp has made me go back to conditioner for the time being.

I started with 'poo bars because they're the easiest way to avoid parabens, SLS, and cones.

BlndeInDisguise
March 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
ilovemycop: you aren't the only one to condition after using a shampoo bar. I do, too! Several years ago when I used them, I didn't use conditioner and I never liked how my hair felt.

Meezer
March 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I'm not a frequent shampoo bar user, but my husband loves the bars that I buy for him from LUSH. I know that all of them are SLS based (except the new sulfate free 'Squeeky Green' one), but honestly, I find them to be quite moisturizing. When I do use one of my LUSH bars, I usually reach for Karma b/c it smells so good, but it also feels quite moisturizing. I usually never have any tangles with it.

I love the fact that there is no packaging... environmentally friendly and that the bars are fun to use. Actually I would like to use my LUSH bars more often but I only wash my hair on days that I swim and for that I use a chelating shampoo.

truepeacenik
March 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I started using CV poo bars in October.
I was looking at Lush's vegan products, but the in-store customer service was just hideous. They'll not get my money, ever.

I really like the ease of use on the bars. I have a shipment of full size, but I was used to the samples, so i quartered them all.

I have had some waxies issues, I have hard water and I'm still tweaking the perfect acid rinse.
Despite this, I prefer the texture of my hair with poo bars over my Nature's Gate poo, or any of the liquids I had in rotation.

I have a PH bar sample on the way from a trade.

When I first read about poo bars on the aforementioned mega thread, I had serious concerns.
I'd used liquid castile soap to form dreads.
I wasn't wanting dreads at the time (It is always an option in my mind).
But reading lots of comments of softer hair made me drop Ida a line.
glad I did.

Katja
March 8th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Neoma: thanks for starting this thread -- I have missed the huge CV bar thread here.

I have been experimenting with CV bars since late January. I wash 1-2X per week, so experimenting with various bars and techniques takes a while. ;) Here is the routine that I have found to work for my hair:

1) The night before I wash, I do an SMT and leave it in overnight. I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk or Nutrafix, plus aloe and extra honey.

2) In my morning shower, I rinse out my hair, then rub the shampoo bar over my hair, working up a lather especially along the crown and nape of my neck, and a bit along the length. Rinse well. Lather up again, rinse well. I usually do a third time, but only on my roots. Rinse well.

3) I then apply AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner all over my hair, even a bit on my roots. Previously, I would never use conditioner on my roots, since I have fine, oily-prone hair, but this seems to help keep my roots from looking greasy after using the poo bar. I leave the conditioner on as I continue my shower.

4) At the end of my shower, I rinse out the the conditioner, followed by a citric acid rinse. I use about 1/4 teaspoon in 2-1/2 cups of water. I dip the ends first, then pour the rest over my hair. This makes my hair very silky.

CV bars that I have tried, and liked, in order of preference:
Nettle (my hair really loves this one)
Summer Sunshine
Herb Garden
Extra Honey Beer & Egg

Bars that didn't work for me (left my hair greasy looking):
Neem
Babassu & Marshmallow
Mud & Clay

I am eagerly awaiting a shipment of some of the CV bars that I have not tried yet. I love what the bars do for my hair, and it is fun to try new things! :D

Neoma
March 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I've never heard of C.O.P.A. before-- are ALL their bars appropriate for using on hair?Their Cocoa bar contains castor oil, and is therefore more "shampoo bar appropriate" than the others. The lady who makes C.O.P.A. soaps says that she uses all of her soaps as shampoo bars, but she has very short hair, so what works for her probably wouldn't work for some of us.

The Cocoa bar includes cocoa butter and smells like lemongrass and some other herbs. I really like the fragrance. Also, this bar lathers like no other shampoo bar that I've tried -- tons of tiny, fluffy bubbles.

I have a piece of the C.O.P.A. Triple Mint soap, which contains no castor oil, but is very minty and fresh smelling. I will try it as a shampoo and report back at some point.

Neoma: thanks for starting this thread -- I have missed the huge CV bar thread here.
You're welcome, Katja. I'm glad that so many people have replied to this thread. It makes me feel more at home, LHC-wise.

lora410
March 8th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I love shampoo bars as well. I did these as a new experience and I currently use soap lady of oregan shampoo bars.They are reasonable at 4$ for 5oz and they have no sulfates and are all natural. I was going to try CV bars , but they have SLS in them. My first time my hair felt waxy and still does till this day. I found it is from my hard water; so I use a white vinager rinse everytime. My hair smells great for days and they give my hair body.

Neoma
March 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I was going to try CV bars , but they have SLS in them..Lora, CV bars do not contain SLS. They are soap-based -- lye soap. :flower:

Neoma
March 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I did recently place an order with Serpentine Hair. (http://www.serpentinehair.com/products.html) Someone recommended them on TBB (Gemma?), and before I knew it, I had placed an order! I'm a sucker for a snazzy site, and they had the ingredients listed (though not the size). They haven't arrived yet, but I'll be sure to do a review as soon as I've tried them a few times.chloeishere and Gemma, you are both enablers! :silly: I had never heard of Serpentine Hair. I bookmarked the site. The Kahlua sounds divine. Do you know if she uses EO's or perfume?

Cricket
March 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Any time that I tried shampoo bars in the past, they didn't work well for me. I started helping my soap-making friend test some of her products, as my hair is completely opposite to hers...and I get free samples. She finally washed my hair for me (heaven) explaining the proper way to use a shampoo bar.

You are absolutely right, Neoma, the texture of my hair after using bars is amazing. My updo's don't slip as much, but they stay silky!!

Neoma
March 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Any time that I tried shampoo bars in the past, they didn't work well for me. I started helping my soap-making friend test some of her products, as my hair is completely opposite to hers...and I get free samples. She finally washed my hair for me (heaven) explaining the proper way to use a shampoo bar.

You are absolutely right, Neoma, the texture of my hair after using bars is amazing. My updo's don't slip as much, but they stay silky!!
Oh, cricket, one of the only things that I miss about going to a salon is having someone else wash my hair! I used to go to a Japanese salon. They would give you a scalp massage that was better than...well, you know... :D

Regina
March 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I started using CV bars several months ago and have tried all of their shampoo bars except carrot milk and honey, olive babassu, and lavender spice.

I fell in love with the Mud and Clay bar. The color of it is rich and attractive, the smell is refreshing and citrusy, it lathers well, and it gives my hair great curl, volume and softness. Also, I can go around four days without washing my hair again. It's a great bar, but lately I've been using Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner on my ends, and the two products work well together.

I tried them after browsing their site for awhile, and I was overwhelmed with curiosity, drawn in by the reasonable prices, and I love supporting small companies.

I plan on staying away from commercial shampoos forever.

I tried their soap bars on my face but so far they have all been too drying if I use them regularly. My body likes them though.

SweetPea88
March 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I recently got into using CV bars and absolutely love how they make my hair look and feel! However, I haven't used them in about a month because of lack of time and convenience. I decided to give them another go today (with CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg) and it's wonderful! Really worth it and better than ANYTHING else I have tried!

Calista
March 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Another CV addict here! :waving: I´ve been using CV bars exclusively since September 2006. My routine is pretty much like Neoma´s: Lather, massage, rinse, repeat, repeat, vinegar rinse, done.

By the way, does anyone know how I can submit my shampoo bar article to the articles´ section? It seems I don´t have permission to post there, so should I send it to a mod or what?

KatKeRo
March 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'm a PLHbar user.
I don't use VCbars because often there is sheabutter in the bars and I'm allergic to shea.
I use Naomes method only I do it once. Once is enough for me. From time to time I do a citricacid rinse as a last rinse.

lora410
March 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Lora, CV bars do not contain SLS. They are soap-based -- lye soap. :flower:

Ohhh dur im thinking of the Lush shampoo bars..lmao

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Ohhh dur im thinking of the Lush shampoo bars..lmaoNP, lora. I thought that you might be confusing them with Lush, but I wasn't sure. :flower:

Cricket
March 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
The Lush bars look amazing and smell wonderful, but I had to walk out after reading the ingredients. Its too bad that synthetic products and flashy packaging seem to do so well for the masses. In a perfect world, I'd be able to walk into a mall and buy a wonderful shampoo bar with no nasty ingredients.

Ah well. I can dream.

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
The Lush bars look amazing and smell wonderful, but I had to walk out after reading the ingredients. Its too bad that synthetic products and flashy packaging seem to do so well for the masses. In a perfect world, I'd be able to walk into a mall and buy a wonderful shampoo bar with no nasty ingredients.

Ah well. I can dream.I have a bar of Lush Karma Komber in the bathroom, and I have used it a couple of times. It truly is just a solid SLS shampoo. The reason I bought it is that is smells divine. I pick it up and sniff it from time to time, but I may end up using it as body soap -- I don't think I want to use it on my hair.

truepeacenik
March 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
chloeishere and Gemma, you are both enablers! :silly: I had never heard of Serpentine Hair. I bookmarked the site. The Kahlua sounds divine. Do you know if she uses EO's or perfume?

from the descriptions on the site, I think she's using both.
She mentions in the FAQ that some natural ingredients oxidize.

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
from the descriptions on the site, I think she's using both.
She mentions in the FAQ that some natural ingredients oxidize.Thank you, truepeacenik. :flower:

lora410
March 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
NP, lora. I thought that you might be confusing them with Lush, but I wasn't sure. :flower:

I went and ordered two of the CV bars. The summer sunshine and the clay one. Everything else was out of stock. I'm looking forward to trying them :D

AmandaPanda
March 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I love LUSH. Ultimate Shine is my favorite. I have Squeaky Green currently (no SLS or ALS), it's pretty good but I don't care for the scent too much. I want to try Trichomania next

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I went and ordered two of the CV bars. The summer sunshine and the clay one. Everything else was out of stock. I'm looking forward to trying them
__________________Summer Sunshine is one of my all-time favorites, both for the way it works, and for the fragrance, which is delightful.

I haven't tried the clay one.

I think that Summer Sunshine, Carrot, Milk & Honey and Cafe Moreno are my favs. I also love the Lemon Lavender soap, which leaves my hair feeling almost as if I've used cones -- soft and silky. I can't use it exclusively, because it does tend to build up and weigh my hair down.

Darn, now I want to order some Lemon Lavender soap...

brok3nwings
March 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
last week i tried a soap bar as a shampoo bar (as i had no way of getting one), i rinsed the soap very well then i did the white vinegar rinse (a strong one) and after a minute i rinsed again...well...my hair that inically looked smooth (when wet) started to dry and looked really greasy and my ends were all wierd and dry. Is it possible that i have done something wrong? Or is it possible that bars arent for all hair type?

helanek
March 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
i use CV bars which are wonderful for my hair and helped me with my scalp problems, and my hair seem to love them as well.
accidentally i bought on sale a shampoo bar from this company
http://www.themysticmasala.com/
and although the smell is quite strong i must say it is a quite good shampoo as well. thought somebody might want to try!

cheers.

hrimfaxi
March 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I really like the Cafe Moreno shampoo bar. While LHC was down, I realized that lathering twice is SO MUCH BETTER than lathering just once. Lathering the first time, I noticed that everything felt kind of sticky and not quite clean. When lathering up the second time, everything feels a lot more silky and so on, and my hair feels better at the end--a lot softer.

I have also learned that I do actually have to use a light conditioner and/or coconut oil after using shampoo bars; my hair gets a little sticky and crunchy otherwise.

hrimfaxi
March 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
[snip]

Oops, double post!

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM
last week i tried a soap bar as a shampoo bar (as i had no way of getting one), i rinsed the soap very well then i did the white vinegar rinse (a strong one) and after a minute i rinsed again...well...my hair that inically looked smooth (when wet) started to dry and looked really greasy and my ends were all wierd and dry. Is it possible that i have done something wrong? Or is it possible that bars arent for all hair type?brok3nwings, did you use a regular, commercial soap, like Dial or something? Or did you use lye soap such as those made by CV? Commerical soaps aren't in the same category at all, so, if that's what you used, then I wouldn't consider this a valid experiment.

brok3nwings
March 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Neoma, it isnt a commercial soap, it is a soap that i bought about 2 years ago in Spain and they are tradicionally made (and look like it) and i remember that the people who was selling explaided to me all about each one (i cant remember) but i trully believe that the soap was really made tradicionally, so maybe it is because it is a soap bar and not a shampoo bar? Or can it be because your hair takes a while to ajust? ... Or is it possible that my particular hair doesnt really like it? I dont want to take conclusions right now i just wanted some other experiences besides the ones that went great since the beginning...but i am a bit jealous for the description that you all make! eheh :)

chloeishere
March 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Neoma, it isnt a commercial soap, it is a soap that i bought about 2 years ago in Spain and they are tradicionally made (and look like it) and i remember that the people who was selling explaided to me all about each one (i cant remember) but i trully believe that the soap was really made tradicionally, so maybe it is because it is a soap bar and not a shampoo bar? Or can it be because your hair takes a while to ajust? ... Or is it possible that my particular hair doesnt really like it? I dont want to take conclusions right now i just wanted some other experiences besides the ones that went great since the beginning...but i am a bit jealous for the description that you all make! eheh :)

If it was a cold process soap, it may have been made more super-fatted than most shampoo bars. Shampoo bars should be super-fatted no more than 3-5%, or else it can cause build-up or make your hair feel greasy. Some CP soaps are made with much more super fatting, which is great for skin, but not so good for clean hair. I can't say for sure though, as I don't know anything about that particular soap. I've never had any luck using a normal CP soap bar as a shampoo bar, but maybe I'm different.

It also could be that the vinegar rinse was TOO strong-- sometimes, if it's too strong, your hair will also end up greasy looking. :o It's a delicate balance to figure out what will work really well for you.

If you are really interested in shampoo bars, you could order some samples from CV, or wait around for a while and watch the swap board like a hawk to see if you could snap up some samples for cheaper shipping...
Good luck!

brok3nwings
March 9th, 2008, 07:25 PM
chloeishere thank you for your answer. Probably that is the cause of the problem... ;) Actually when i was washing my hair with the shampoo bar it felt really really moisturizing so it can be from the extra oil...and i dont think my hair needs it as a frequent cleaning method. I will try to get some samples...i just dont know how. Anyway, i am going to Boston and New York two weeks from now...any of you know if its easy to buy good quality shampoo bars at any stores around there? I am expecting to buy products that i cant find here in Portugal

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
chloeishere thank you for your answer. Probably that is the cause of the problem... ;) Actually when i was washing my hair with the shampoo bar it felt really really moisturizing so it can be from the extra oil...and i dont think my hair needs it as a frequent cleaning method. I will try to get some samples...i just dont know how. Anyway, i am going to Boston and New York two weeks from now...any of you know if its easy to buy good quality shampoo bars at any stores around there? I am expecting to buy products that i cant find here in PortugalSpain is famous for making Castile soap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castile_soap). I'm not sure how that is different from shampoo bars. I suspect that chloeishere is right, and whatever you used may have been super-fatted.

I live in NY, and I don't know of any place where you can buy shampoo bars locally. I do buy C.O.P.A. soaps at street fairs, which happen in the summer, and at Christamas in Union Square. I don't know Boston very well, so I couldn't tell you about that.

sapphire-o
March 10th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I've been using shampoo bars on and off for over a year. Last few month is 90% shampoo bars for washing. I love them. I've tried mostly CV bars, a PLH bar, JR Liggett bar, a couple from Ebay and one from local soap shop. My favorite are CV bars and the one from local soap shop. I don't think I'll buy the other ones again.

My routine is simple. In the shower I rub the bar all over my hair, separating some to let it reach the scalp, then massage and lather up. I don't usually do length unless it's been oiled. Rinse and repeat twice (three lathering all together). Then I use a homemade herbal ACV rinse (formula varies). I let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse off. My hair is clean and very shiny. I wash every three days. I have medium, slightly thick hair with oily scalp.

ETA My husband lather up twice, use herbal rinse, then a conditioner. He washes his hair every other day. He has fine thin hair with normal scalp.

SweetPea88
March 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Has anyone noticed a slight lightening of hair color while using shampoo bars (I use CV)? I wonder if the bars or the ACV rinses may cause this. I am not positive, but it seems that my hair appears to look a tad lighter, although it may be due to the season change (or I'm going crazy :p).

Oh! And what effect (if any) would the Cafe Moreno bar have on black hair?

Delilah
March 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I absolutely love CV shampoo bars. My favorites are Olive and Babassu and Cafe Moreno.

I generally lather twice, the second time I get a good thick lather and clip it up with a plastic claw while I go to work with my body bar of choice, Neem and Tea Tree.

After I rinse, I have a conditioner/vinegar rinse I use. Basically what I did is put one ounce of Infusium 23 (my favorite conditioner) in a 16-oz bottle and fill the rest with vinegar. When it's time to rinse I dump about an ounce of that mix into another empty 16-oz bottle and fill it to the top with water. When I rinse with this my hair suddenly goes from icky stripped-with-soap feeling to lovely moist and slippy.

When I occasionally do not use this rinse my hair still feels strange and tangly until it dries (I cannot comb it!) but once dry is fine. However due to the fact that I can't even fingercomb it, it often dries in a funny shape or clumpy looking as my hair is very straight.

I plan to try and reduce the amount of conditioner I use in the rinse. If I use vinegar only I have very little slip. I think 1/16 of an ounce of a cone-containing conditioner is not much to worry about, especially on superfine snap-prone hair like mine.

Naomi Kim
March 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I like the fact that the shampoo bar doesn't make me break out, but I'm not very happy with my hair when it's down, the ends get kinda tangly. It's fine when it's up though. I do use a acv rinse with some tea to cut down on the smell and I lightly oil with evoo while it's still wet.

Ohio Sky
March 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I have tried a few CV bars (Xtra honey beer and egg, and marshmallow and babassu) and I get the "waxies". Im still trying to transition, but I dont like having to use S&C 2-3 times a week. It doesnt seem to matter how well I rinse or if I use a vinegar rinse. Maybe I should condition after? Just cant figure it out :/

Wikky Grrl
March 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I like the CV bars; my hair doesn't agree when they're used exclusively so I alternate use with other products. I've had best results with lather applied directly to scalp, twice. Cool water rinses.

Whoa Neoma - you may get your thread jones fixed with so many responses! :p

Neoma
March 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Has anyone noticed a slight lightening of hair color while using shampoo bars (I use CV)? I wonder if the bars or the ACV rinses may cause this. I am not positive, but it seems that my hair appears to look a tad lighter, although it may be due to the season change (or I'm going crazy :p).

Oh! And what effect (if any) would the Cafe Moreno bar have on black hair?SweetPea, my hair is dark brown with some natural reddish highlights. I have not noticed any lightening, though I certainly am not saying that it isn't possible. Are you using a shampoo bar that contains chamomile, by any chance?

I do, however, think that my hair looks darker when I use the Cafe Moreno. I don't know what effect it would have on black hair.

Whoa Neoma - you may get your thread jones fixed with so
many responses! :pHey, Wikky Grrl, I think my shampoo bar thread jones has been satisfied! Yay! So many posts! :D

lora410
March 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM

you poor thing you are having one heck of a time with these poo bars aren't you. I remember you were having probs on TBB as well. And yes the fact its not a poo bar is prob the problem. I think the skin tends to need more moisture then hair so there is just much more of it in a regular soap bar.

alligatorbaby23
March 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I have been using an olive oil soap from get a guru dot com, with great results. As a curly, my hair is so tempermental, just this soap and a 1/ 10 vinegar rinse is great for my scalp and hair (both dry ) Shine and body! i found my ticket, not "scalping" this one! And it smells good for a week + !
-alligator

ETA Sweetpea - I believe it is the sheen of the hair that makes it appear lighter, it reflects more sun, not only during the winter season, but more so, because your hair is not so much lightened by the sun.. I am having a hard time explaining this. .... Try again.. Your hair is not getting so much damage from the sun, therefore Not lightening, which causes the follicle to lay smoother, I.E. appear lighter on the crown and new growth, alas not the ends. I hope that makes sense, at least on my head it does!

brok3nwings
March 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
lora410 eheh i know i know... :P i am at the LHC since January this year so it is a very little time, i still have plenty of time to try a lot of things and to see what´s the best for my hair. It is a bit confusing for beginers..you have the oiling, looking for no cones (to see if you like it or not...), you have CO (i also tried it and i also dont know lol), you have those who doesnt wash...you have shampoo bars, you have rinses...you have ...oh! :) There is only one thing i know for sure...im really happy that im growing my hair! Ah! And also...i am completly in love with the honeysuck conditioner from Aubrey Organics!
lora410 you are really a very pleasent? person

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'd like to start off by saying you are all a bunch of enablers.

I bought a few (four or five) CV poo bar samples a couple months ago. Love them. Have been using them exclusively but have not yet tried them all.

And what did I do yesterday? I bought MORE samples. Samples of their soaps as well this time as someone recommended me trying them on the hair as they're superfatted and my hair and skin are superdry. But yes, I have another six or seven CV samples on the way. Some poo, some soap, etc.

Curse you all. I'm not supposed to be spending any money.

Oh, Neem and Tea Tree on the scalp only and only once. Marshmallow and Babbasu and/or Herb Garden on scalp and a bit on the length for at least one lather. I'm trying out this lather 2-3 times thing. Oh, then an ACV rinse, then conditioner. Occasionally a second ACV rinse with focus on the scalp at the end. Though my current condish (Cure Care though I'm not sure of it after looking up the ingredients on that blasted environmental welfare group website) has citric acid as the last ingredient... Hrm...

Goodness I'm long winded when I'm tired.

SweetPea88
March 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
SweetPea, my hair is dark brown with some natural reddish highlights. I have not noticed any lightening, though I certainly am not saying that it isn't possible. Are you using a shampoo bar that contains chamomile, by any chance?

I do, however, think that my hair looks darker when I use the Cafe Moreno. I don't know what effect it would have on black hair.

Thanks for your help Neoma. I've been alternating between CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg and Nettle, which do not have chamomile. I am wondering, could it be the honey? I am still not positive that my hair is actually getting lighter though. I think I will try Cafe Moreno, just to see how it goes.

Sweetpea - I believe it is the sheen of the hair that makes it appear lighter, it reflects more sun, not only during the winter season, but more so, because your hair is not so much lightened by the sun.. I am having a hard time explaining this. .... Try again.. Your hair is not getting so much damage from the sun, therefore Not lightening, which causes the follicle to lay smoother, I.E. appear lighter on the crown and new growth, alas not the ends. I hope that makes sense, at least on my head it does!Thanks for the response as well alligatorbaby! I think I understand what you are saying. So it could just appear to be lighter because of the way it is reflecting light?

Neoma
March 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'd like to start off by saying you are all a bunch of enablers.

I bought a few (four or five) CV poo bar samples a couple months ago. Love them. Have been using them exclusively but have not yet tried them all.

And what did I do yesterday? I bought MORE samples. Samples of their soaps as well this time as someone recommended me trying them on the hair as they're superfatted and my hair and skin are superdry. But yes, I have another six or seven CV samples on the way. Some poo, some soap, etc.

Curse you all. I'm not supposed to be spending any money.

Smokie, I live to enable. Since I joined LHC and people I don't even know started making me spend $$$ that I don't have on things that I don't technically need, I feel compelled to pass it on. :D

Thanks for your help Neoma. I've been alternating between CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg and Nettle, which do not have chamomile. I am wondering, could it be the honey? I am still not positive that my hair is actually getting lighter though. I think I will try Cafe Moreno, just to see how it goes.
You're very welcome, SweetPea. I have heard people say that honey lightens hair. I haven't had that experience, though. Let us know how you like the Cafe Moreno.:)

sapphire-o
March 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Does anybody like CV's nettle shampoo bar? I don't think I'm imagining it but every time I use that one, I lose about 50% more hair in the shower than usual. :( How is that possible? I've tried just about every kind of CV bar and no other made me shed any more. I've used the nettle bar at least 5 times now and I always shed more than usual. I know I'm not allergic to nettle. I drink nettle tea and use nettle in my herbal hair rinse.

JennQ
March 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I ordered my first 'poo bars (and soap) from CV over the weekend, and I've been looking outside for the mailman ever since I hit the "Submit Payment" button. Hurry! I'm so excited, I'm going nuts. I've been CO for nine months, and while I love the condition my hair is in, I still feel like I need a little more cleansing. Hopefully the bars will help me achieve hair nirvana.

chloeishere
March 11th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Does anybody like CV's nettle shampoo bar? I don't think I'm imagining it but every time I use that one, I lose about 50% more hair in the shower than usual. :( How is that possible? I've tried just about every kind of CV bar and no other made me shed any more. I've used the nettle bar at least 5 times now and I always shed more than usual. I know I'm not allergic to nettle. I drink nettle tea and use nettle in my herbal hair rinse.

I haven't experienced this with nettle at all, but I have a theory, maybe?
This is based on personal experience, so bear with me.

I've tried a lot of different things with shampoo bars. Most are based on board recommendations, honestly. I've washed one time, three times, scalp only, scalp and length, vinegar rinse, weak vinegar rinse, mixing EO's with my vinegar rinse, etc. etc.

I've learned that I only need to lather once, unless I've done a protein/ egg treatment recently, then it's 2 to 3 times. If I wash more than once, under normal circumstances (even after a heavy oiling left overnight), my hair feels stiff and dried out, which is not what I'm looking for.

I recently tried reducing the amount of lather I get per wash. This is kind of weird, because at first I needed to find out how to rub my bar to get max lather, so it would wash well! Now that I know how to work the bar on my hair, I'm trying to use the minimum amount of soaping up to get clean hair.

At first I thought it was a coincidence, but when I use a smaller amount of lather, I lose a LOT less hair. I'm talking 1/4 to 1/3 of my "normal" shed in the shower-- maybe less. This could just be my scalp, but it's definitely happening. And this is using the same products-- CV Chamomile & Citrus, my normal CA rinse, and Trader Joe's nourish spa conditioner.

So my thought is, maybe your nettle bar requires more "soap" to lather up properly (nettle does this for me, but I know some people consider it to be cleansing, I consider it moisturizing), and the extra lathering is causing the hair loss?

I know it's a pretty weird theory-- I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning a correlation like this, and it might just be me... but I thought I'd mention it. Since you are sure it's not allergies.
Maybe someone else has a better theory?
Good luck, I hope you figure it out (and tell us!)!

Katja
March 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM
At first I thought it was a coincidence, but when I use a smaller amount of lather, I lose a LOT less hair. I'm talking 1/4 to 1/3 of my "normal" shed in the shower-- maybe less. This could just be my scalp, but it's definitely happening. And this is using the same products-- CV Chamomile & Citrus, my normal CA rinse, and Trader Joe's nourish spa conditioner.

chloeishere, that is an interesting theory. I have to say, as much as I like using CV poo bars, I am experiencing noticeably increased shedding, which has worried me a lot. I will try lathering less/fewer times to see if that makes a difference for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your hypothesis.

chloeishere
March 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
My pleasure! I hope it helps your shedding, too!
Plus, that would mean I'm not imagining this...

Miss Murphy
March 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM
chloeishere, that is an interesting theory. I have to say, as much as I like using CV poo bars, I am experiencing noticeably increased shedding, which has worried me a lot. I will try lathering less/fewer times to see if that makes a difference for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your hypothesis.

Katja - a lot of people notice an increase in shedding when using poo bars. This is - and I believe that too - attributed that a poo bar needs more "scrubbing" of the hair than regular shampoo. Most people, and me too, however notice less shedding in between washes.

My personal experience is also that the more I use bars, the less I shed. In the beginning I had to clean out my tub sieve mid-wash because it was clogged. Now, it works just fine.

lora410
March 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
lora410 eheh i know i know... :P i am at the LHC since January this year so it is a very little time, i still have plenty of time to try a lot of things and to see what´s the best for my hair. It is a bit confusing for beginers..you have the oiling, looking for no cones (to see if you like it or not...), you have CO (i also tried it and i also dont know lol), you have those who doesnt wash...you have shampoo bars, you have rinses...you have ...oh! :) There is only one thing i know for sure...im really happy that im growing my hair! Ah! And also...i am completly in love with the honeysuck conditioner from Aubrey Organics!
lora410 you are really a very pleasent? person

Am i pleasant? not most of the time :lol: ok so my dbf says. Yeah i experimented liek crazy when i joined LHC and it took me a few months to know my hair hates cones, loves sweet almond oil and likes shampoo bars.:flowers:

2BThinAgain
March 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I decided to go on and purchase some CV shampoo bars today as well.

I got one each of: Mud and Clay, Olive Babassu, Summer Sunshine as well as Lavender and Spice.

Will let you know how they each work on my hair.

Deb

chloeishere
March 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Katja - a lot of people notice an increase in shedding when using poo bars. This is - and I believe that too - attributed that a poo bar needs more "scrubbing" of the hair than regular shampoo. Most people, and me too, however notice less shedding in between washes.

My personal experience is also that the more I use bars, the less I shed. In the beginning I had to clean out my tub sieve mid-wash because it was clogged. Now, it works just fine.

I'm actually not talking about "scrubbing" less, I just use less "lather/ soap rubbing", if that makes sense. Well, I know it doesn't, but it's been working for me! Maybe it has something to do with the lower pH on the scalp? Eh, I don't know.
It is true that generally, I shed less now than I did in the beginning, but it was several months before the shedding went from "high" to "average".
I don't know if only lathering once has really decreased my shower shedding, that's really just a personal hair thing. My hair isn't happy feeling if I lather several times, so I don't.

I also got my Serpentine Hair order today. (Link (http://www.serpentinehair.com/)) I haven't used any of the bars yet, but I posted an order review in my blog, here's the link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=912)-- for that specific entry. I don't want to include a long long thing like that in this thread, so if you are interested, you can check it out over there.

I'll try to get to trying them out soon, I promise! I can't decide which scent, though...

Neoma
March 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I ordered my first 'poo bars (and soap) from CV over the weekend, and I've been looking outside for the mailman ever since I hit the "Submit Payment" button. Hurry! I'm so excited, I'm going nuts. I've been CO for nine months, and while I love the condition my hair is in, I still feel like I need a little more cleansing. Hopefully the bars will help me achieve hair nirvana.Ahhhh, JennQ, welcome to the mad, mad world of CV bar addiction. I know that feeling well: Click the Submit Payment button and wonder why the heck your order hasn't arrived yet!:rolleyes:

I hope that you do achieve hair nirvana.

Chromis
March 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I adore the nettle bar! Sometimes things that work well in other forms might just not jive with own skin or hair though. For instance, I love yogurt and kefir, but the bars I have tried with yogurt leaving my skin very dry and tight. My face loves mud and clay masks, but the rather popular Mud and Clay shampoo bar leaves my hair waxy and lifeless.

Sam-I-Am
March 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Oh yes, I am loving CV bars too. I fear that I am allergic to the Babassu and Marshmallow shampoo bar, but other than that one, all the bars I have tried I have liked with varying degrees of enthusiasm. So far I have tried:

Nettle shampoo
Extra Honey Beer & Egg shampoo
Rosemary & Mint shampoo
Eggnog & spice soap
Orange Creamsicle soap
Honey Butter soap
Cucumber & Lime Yogurt soap

And I absolutely love Ida and Sam at CV. I paid with cash paypal and got a free sample from them - and not only that, it was a sample of a shampoo bar that Sam had recommended to me and that I couldn't buy at the time. I was SO IMPRESSED. And now I'm totally a loyal customer!

BrianaFineHair
March 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have tried one shampoo bar - Burt's Bees. I did not like it at all. I have baby fine hair and it felt like it left a film on my hair. It did not feel clean at all and looked dull. I use regular shampoo by Burt's Bees and follow with a half water half vinegar rinse. My hair LOVES vinegar rinses. I'll check out the links in this thread, because I would love to try a bar shampoo again; just not the BB one.

movie zombie
March 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM
in reading labels for shampoo bars, i note they are almost entirely composed of oils. is it really necessary to do oil treatments before washing one's hair?

movie zombie

lora410
March 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'm waiting for my first CV bars as well. I did priority shipping so they better get their bar butts here soon!!! I probably wont open one until i'm finished with my rose bar from the soap lady though, but I dunno..lol

SarieQ
March 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I've been using my own shampoo bars for four months now. I don't have to put oil on my hair at all anymore! Even just a drop or two on the ends is too much after washing. I am now doing SMT's after clarifying once a month to special treat my hair.

I also noticed a big shedding increase a couple weeks after starting poo bars. The shedding has slowed, but I find that I shed more after washing and less in between washes. The wonderful bennefits the poo bars give my hair far outweigh a little extra shedding. (I went from CO to poo bars, which CO users notice much less shedding on that routine). I had always shed more when using shampoo, baking soda, and herbal washing.

Poo bars have been the only thing that will give my hair nice body, shine, and silkiness with out making it frizzy and tangly! The main reason why I'd oil my hair so much after washing on other routines was to stave off the frizz and terrible tangling! I'm really happy that now I can have my hair full bodied and still get the comb through it pretty easily. I was skeptical when people talked about CV bars and such said that they didn't need to condition afterward. My hair and scalp are dry. The first time I tried a poo bar was just out of sheer laziness. I make them for DH because he likes using them on his hair and body. I wanted to take a quick shower and not have to leave CO on my hair for over a half hour. I went into this thinking I was going to be torturing my hair for this one washing cycle. NOPE, the results were wonderful and all I'd done was the normal one lather of poo and an ACV rinse!

I learned the hard way about the whole superfatting thing! My first bars for DH were 5% because he has oily hair. I figured more moisturizing would be good for my dry hair. I superfatted a few test batches at 10%. My superfatted wheat germ poo bar worked wonderful for a couple weeks, but then I ended up with a terrible buildup! These bars aren't waisted though because my four year old DD's hair loves them. Hers is curly and just drinks up anything I use on it! My older DD (13) loves the bars I make for DH. She doesn't even use the ACV rinse either, but her hair just looks amazing.

Poo bars have helped me to reach my goal of washing less! For almost two years now, I have been trying to slowly train my scalp for washing only once a week. I had only been able to go four days between washings until now. I do a full washing once a week and the front half of my scalp midweek. I have never seen my length so soft and shiny!

Also, I used to be plagued by scalp itchies! All the other routines I tried always left me with an irritated scalp and I'd itch like crazy in between washings. Last year, I had to make a mix of water and oil to wet my scalp and massage every morning just to help keep the dryness and itchies at bay. Now I have no flakes and hardly any itchies at all.

The bar I've been using now is a very simple recipe of coconut(25%), olive(50%), and castor(25%) oil with and eo blend of lavender, rosemary, and sage.

My routine:
I wet my hair and squeeze out excess water.
I wet the poo bar in my hand and glide it over my scalp from forehead to nape, being sure that I don't miss anywhere on my scalp. I also never rub it going against the cuticle.
I lather up gently. I don't scrub or use my nails as that always causes more hairloss. I just simple do a massage with the suds and then work it down my length.
I rinse and then use an ACV rinse.
I end the washing with a cool leave in of distilled water and a few drops of eo's.

I never lather up twice. I'd like to try it sometime, but the water heater we have in this house is the smallest one I've ever seen--especially for a four bedroom house! In fact, when wanting to take a hot bath, I have to fill the average sized tub half way (the water goes cold by then), wait for a half hour, and then fill it the rest of the way with more hot water. So, by the time I've washed my body and done all that to my hair, even turning the water off to conserve at key points, I'm usually finishing up with cold water! Renting sucks, or I'd replace that with a huge hot water heater!

So, needless to say, I have become a poo bar addict! I have designed twenty poo bar recipes to try out. I can't wait to get soaping! The suspence during the six week cure is gunna drive me insane!

Gemma
March 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
in reading labels for shampoo bars, i note they are almost entirely composed of oils. is it really necessary to do oil treatments before washing one's hair?

movie zombie

I wouldn't say it's 'necessary' but it really depends on your hair type, and what you're aiming for. :)

The Serpentine Hair bars are oils + fragrance, that's it, but I still oil my hair the night before a wash on occasion because it really helps keep my hair in good condition, and I've also noticed that it keeps split-ends at bay for longer.

My hair loves oil, though.

lora410
March 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Anyone else still habe scalp junk after a poo wash? also my hair seems drier the first day after the wash and then it softens up. My cv bars will be here today so maybe I wont wait until my other bar is used uo before trying a new one.

SweetPea88
March 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I just placed an order from CV! It's my first order of their full size bars. I got Nettle, Cafe Moreno, and Summer Sunshine. I'm so excited to try out the Cafe Moreno and Summer Sunshine! I won't be getting them until after spring break (prob. the 22/23rd) since I had them sent to my school mailbox, but I'll definitely fill everyone in!

lora410
March 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I just placed an order from CV! It's my first order of their full size bars. I got Nettle, Cafe Moreno, and Summer Sunshine. I'm so excited to try out the Cafe Moreno and Summer Sunshine! I won't be getting them until after spring break (prob. the 22/23rd) since I had them sent to my school mailbox, but I'll definitely fill everyone in!

I'm so envious!! i know they had cafe moreno and stuff curing, but most of the stuff was out last week :-(

SweetPea88
March 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'm so envious!! i know they had cafe moreno and stuff curing, but most of the stuff was out last week :-(

Aww, sorry Lora! Yeah, the Cafe Moreno and Nettle just became available. I won't be able to use it until the 20th still.

Neoma
March 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Good glory, I love the multi-quote feature!:D

I have tried one shampoo bar - Burt's Bees. I did not like it at all. I have baby fine hair and it felt like it left a film on my hair. It did not feel clean at all and looked dull. I use regular shampoo by Burt's Bees and follow with a half water half vinegar rinse. My hair LOVES vinegar rinses. I'll check out the links in this thread, because I would love to try a bar shampoo again; just not the BB one.
BrianaFineHair, I have not heard good things about the Burt's Bees shampoo bar. Not one positive review. I'm glad that you're willing to try another brand, such as CV or PLH.

movie zombiemovie zombie, I have heard differing opinions about this. Ida from CV says they're not necessary. I have baby fine hair, and it loves oils. I don't do as many heavy oilings when I use shampoo bars. But I frequently (almost every day) apply a small glob (how's that for a precise measurement?) of aloe gel mixed with a few drops of Moonchaser's Sweet Success Oil and leave it on overnight. (I shampoo every morning.) I also frequently use the same mixture with even less oil (3 drops) on the length and smooth the residue on the crown before I bun it for the day.

I'm waiting for my first CV bars as well. I did priority shipping so they better get their bar butts here soon!!! I probably wont open one until i'm finished with my rose bar from the soap lady though, but I dunno..lolWoot! Another CV bar junkie is born!

I just placed an order from CV! It's my first order of their full size bars. I got Nettle, Cafe Moreno, and Summer Sunshine. I'm so excited to try out the Cafe Moreno and Summer Sunshine! I won't be getting them until after spring break (prob. the 22/23rd) since I had them sent to my school mailbox, but I'll definitely fill everyone in!SweetPea, waiting is the hardest part. I think you'll love your CV bars. The latter two are probably my favorite "flavors."

2BThinAgain
March 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
how long does it usually take to get an order in from CV ?? I ordered from them on the 12th yesterday and shipping says deliver via standard priority mail options priority.

Question: I am going to Montana for 10 days come the 25th this month and the climate is like a northern desert...(I lived there). Which of my CVSB do you think I should take considering that I have bleached, box colored and henna'd hair ??

I ordered: Mud and Clay; Olive Babassu; Summer Sunshine; Lavender and Spice

TIA,

Deb in UpState NY:cheese:

Neoma
March 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
how long does it usually take to get an order in from CV ?? I ordered from them on the 12th yesterday and shipping says deliver via standard priority mail options priority.

Question: I am going to Montana for 10 days come the 25th this month and the climate is like a northern desert...(I lived there). Which of my CVSB do you think I should take considering that I have bleached, box colored and henna'd hair ??

I ordered: Mud and Clay; Olive Babassu; Summer Sunshine; Lavender and Spice

TIA,

Deb in UpState NY:cheese:Deb, I'm not sure how long they will take to get to you. I like in NY, and I usually get them in a few days; I'm always pleasantly surprised how fast they get here. OK, not totally happy, since they don't immediately appear in my apartment -- poof!:magic:-- when I order them. But surprised nonetheless.

I suspect that Olive Babassu would be a good first choice for you to try.

SweetPea88
March 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Neoma-You're just loving the multi-quote option! ;)

Yes, the bars will be a nice incentive for me to get back on campus once spring break ends! I WANT THEM NOW!

Neoma
March 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Neoma-You're just loving the multi-quote option! ;)

Yes, the bars will be a nice incentive for me to get back on campus once spring break ends! I WANT THEM NOW!
Yep, SweetPea, multi-quote rocks.

I have a nice supply of CV bars, but I'm seriously considering ordering some more -- and/or some PLH, which I'm out of.

I'm telling you...it's an addiction. But to paraphrase Amy Winehouse (sp?), I don't wanna go to rehab -- no, no, no.

SweetPea88
March 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I wonder how this will end...

"Hello my name is Maria and I am a CV bar addict."

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I use a shikakai shampoo bar and it is amazing. I will never use traditional shampoo again

Neoma
March 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM
This morning, I shampooed twice with a Cafe Moreno CV bar. I did not follow with a vinegar rinse. My hair looked and felt great, but, interestingly, bunning was more difficult than usual. I tried to make a wrapped bun and secure it with a stick, something that I can do with ease when I follow my shampoo bar/vinegar rinse routine, and it just fell apart. My hair wasn't exactly slippery, like when I use conventional shampoo and conditioner, but it definitely didn't have as when I follow my usual routine.

So there I have it... I need to use a vinegar rinse. Not to get shine, or to detangle, but to get body. Who knew?

chloeishere
March 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm waiting for my hair to dry after my second wash with Serpentine Hair bars (both times forbidden fruit)-- hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to post a short review. My first wash came out with good results that were also not-so-good, so I decided to give it another wash. It is a bit different from CV bars, so I'm still getting the hang of things.

Neoma
March 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm waiting for my hair to dry after my second wash with Serpentine Hair bars (both times forbidden fruit)-- hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to post a short review. My first wash came out with good results that were also not-so-good, so I decided to give it another wash. It is a bit different from CV bars, so I'm still getting the hang of things.chloeishere, I am curious to hear the details. Enquiring minds want to know!

ShadowSwallow
March 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Another 'poo bar fan here. :D

I use CV castile and calendula soap bars since I'm allergic to coconut/palm oils and always do a diluted ACV rinse. I'm now able to go without conditioner (unheard of before!) and my hair isn't horridly greasy by evening (I still have to wash every morning though :().

sweetkandi
March 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I think I want to try poo bars too now. They seem nice. I just hope they make my hair smell pretty. I love when my hair is not only soft, but smells great too.

Schanulleke
March 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I learned the hard way about the whole superfatting thing! My first bars for DH were 5% because he has oily hair. I figured more moisturizing would be good for my dry hair. I superfatted a few test batches at 10%. My superfatted wheat germ poo bar worked wonderful for a couple weeks, but then I ended up with a terrible buildup! These bars aren't waisted though because my four year old DD's hair loves them. Hers is curly and just drinks up anything I use on it! My older DD (13) loves the bars I make for DH. She doesn't even use the ACV rinse either, but her hair just looks amazing.
Hi SarieQ,
I also make my own soaps and want to try making a poo bar. I thought in a poo bar you use less superfat. Now I read your experience I might up the superfat %. I'll make a small batch so I'm not stuck with too many soap if it doesn't work.

I recently made my first liquid soap. :joy:I haven't tried it on my hair yet, but will certainly do so. I somehow thought I couldn't use it as shampoo because of the 6% superfat. :rolleyes:

Smokie
March 14th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Hi SarieQ,
I also make my own soaps and want to try making a poo bar. I thought in a poo bar you use less superfat. Now I read your experience I might up the superfat %. I'll make a small batch so I'm not stuck with too many soap if it doesn't work.

I recently made my first liquid soap. :joy:I haven't tried it on my hair yet, but will certainly do so. I somehow thought I couldn't use it as shampoo because of the 6% superfat. :rolleyes:

To what percentage are you planning to superfat your poo bar sample batch? Will you be adding things in the way of herbs and nummysmellythings? I'm curious and have a superdry scalp to match my superdry hair. Basically, what I'm trying to say here is if it proves to be too much moisture for you, I might be interested in buying the leftovers off you. ;)

Gemma
March 14th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I'm waiting for my hair to dry after my second wash with Serpentine Hair bars (both times forbidden fruit)-- hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to post a short review. My first wash came out with good results that were also not-so-good, so I decided to give it another wash. It is a bit different from CV bars, so I'm still getting the hang of things.

I absolutely adore these bars but I noticed on the BPAL forums that quite a few people didn't get along with them. I suspect my hair loves them so much because my hair just soaks up oil and doesn't get weighed down by it.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts!

Schanulleke
March 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
To what percentage are you planning to superfat your poo bar sample batch? Will you be adding things in the way of herbs and nummysmellythings? I'm curious and have a superdry scalp to match my superdry hair. Basically, what I'm trying to say here is if it proves to be too much moisture for you, I might be interested in buying the leftovers off you. ;)
I will keep that in mind Smokie. ;)

First I'll try my liquid soap since that is ready to use. After that I will decide what suferfat percentage I will try in my next testing batch. And maybe I will make the same recipe in poo bar and liquid to see what the difference will be. That will be a fun experiment. :smile:

Blueneko
March 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I use CV and Lush bars.

Love:

CV Rosemary, Lavendar, Aloe
Lush Squeaky Green

Not So Love:

CV Lavendar Spice
CV Olive Babassu

The Routine:

wet hair
run bar from hairline to length
lather
scalp scrub
rinse
repeat
condition ends
ACV rinse

chloeishere
March 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
chloeishere, I am curious to hear the details. Enquiring minds want to know!

Sorry for the delay till today; I was going over to my boyfriend's house and knew I wouldn't feel like updating as soon as my hair was dry.

I absolutely adore these bars but I noticed on the BPAL forums that quite a few people didn't get along with them. I suspect my hair loves them so much because my hair just soaks up oil and doesn't get weighed down by it.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts!

I can believe that!

Oh, here's an ingredients list (this is for the Forbidden Fruit bar):
Sunflower oil, coconut oil, castor oil, sodium hydroxide, jojoba oil, canola oil, fragrance, chromium hydroxide green.

My first thought is that Sunflower oil must be very heavy and moisturizing, because this is hands-down, the absolutely most moisturizing bar I've ever tried.

The first time I used it, I had done a medium oiling with coconut oil and avocado oil. So my hair was pretty decently oily. I tried the "nylon poof" method of lathering and applying, which didn't produce enough foam for me, so I also lathered a bit in my hands, and on my scalp. I stuck to one wash (even though I wasn't sure if my hair was really clean, did a dilute CA rinse, and put on conditioner and my normal leave in (respectively, Trader Joe's nourish spa, and Manor Hall deep conditioner).

My hair felt really, really good, soft, hydrated, silky, and moisturized all the way down, even the ends. But look-wise? Not so hot. It was really piecey and looked somewhat dirty to me, even after I combed. I have some waves that don't always come out, and they were going crazy. I liked that part!

I wasn't sure if my hair felt so good from the oiling or the shampoo bar, or whether the shampoo bar just wasn't strong enough to get out the oil, so I decided to wash again the next evening.

This time I went in with nothing on my hair (no treatments that is, just my normal leave-in from the day before), and I washed again, trying with a different nylon poof (which worked better, but still didn't produce enough lather for me), and then lathering a bit on my hair and hands.
After the first wash, I washed again, just doing my scalp region. I had forgotten to make a CA rinse, so I skipped that and put on my conditioner again, then did my normal leave-in.
Hair is better this time, but still a bit heavy/ piecey feeling. It's also still remarkably soft and shiny. Both times I've washed with these bars, my shed has been very minimal.

We're having a sunny day today, so I took a picture of my hair, today (cleaner) vs. yesterday (piecier). These are both right after I've combed:
Today:http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3027c.jpg
Yesterday:http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_2975c.jpg

All in all, I'm going to alter my routine to incorporate these bars-- right now, I'm planning on trying to wash more briskly, and try not using conditioner. I've never used a shampoo bar without conditioner, but I think this bar is just that moisturizing. I may have to stop, or minimize, my leave-in as well. I'm going to continue to do the citric acid rinse, as that helps get my hair a bit cleaner, IMO.
If I still find it too moisturizing, I'll probably try washing with a CV bar and then using this on the length instead of a conditioner. I REALLY like the way this bar makes my hair feel!
The Serpentine Hair bars are heavier and more moisturizing than I'm used to, but I think once I figure out an appropriate routine, my hair will be really happy!

Miscellaneous things I've noticed:
I don't get NEARLY as much lather with this bar (unless I use a poof, which I've never tried with a CV bar) as I do with a CV bar, or most cold processed soaps.
The scent lingers in my hair faintly (I can smell it when I take my hair down from a bun) which I LOVE!
The bar seems to melt rather fast. It gets some bead of water on it in the shower, even though I keep it out of the stream except when I'm wetting it, and the bar gets REALLY goopy, kind of a green, soapy layer on top. Don't touch it until it's dried completely!
When I cut it in half (which I did after the first shampoo), it was pretty moist and sticky on the inside. Maybe the bars could stand a bit more curing, which would improve the lather? However, I'm not sure, as I'd already gotten the bar wet once, it could be from that.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! Oh, the nylon poof thing is from the Serpentine Hair website, in the faqs. Here's the link (http://www.serpentinehair.com/faq.html), if you want to read up on it. It worked for Gemma, so I wanted to try it out, too.

I'll update again when I figure out a good routine for these bars, and let you know how we're getting on.
Sorry this is so long!

BlndeInDisguise
March 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Does anybody NOT use the shampoo bar on their length--at least, not all the time? I used mine on the length today for the first time, because I accidentally used too much oil (I very rarely use oil anyway). But it seems like most people use it all through their hair.

Neoma
March 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Thank you for the review of the Serpentine bars, chloeishere!

Your hair is really a pretty color, especially in the sun.

When I cut it in half (which I did after the first shampoo), it was pretty moist and sticky on the inside. Maybe the bars could stand a bit more curing, which would improve the lather? However, I'm not sure, as I'd already gotten the bar wet once, it could be from that.It's funny that you should say this today...

When I got home from work, I pulled a Carrot Milk & Honey bar out from my secret hiding place and cut off a slice so I can start using it tomorrow. It is darker in the middle, and it reminds me a little of a loaf of bread that's cooked on the outside, but a little raw in the middle. I remember thinking that it wasn't quite cured when I first used it several months ago. But now...?

This is the first time that I've ever had this happen with any shampoo bar. I'm sure that it will work just fine, but I'm curious as to why it doesn't look like it ever completely cured?

chloeishere
March 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Thank you Neoma, you are too kind.

I'm not sure why, myself. I'm thinking about the glycerin content... Or maybe some of the added ingredients?
I bet you could drop Ida a note and ask her, I've heard they are very nice (though I've never needed to contact them about an issue), maybe she knows why the bars haven't always cured after about 5-6 months (overall time) of curing.

I've cut open a few of the CV bars and found a bit of dampness (and a darker color) myself, but not to nearly the extent of this bar. And, to be fair, the bar was only freshly finished curing, I think it was Chamomile and Citrus. The "moist" center area touched another CP soap bar that I had in the same container, and left a line of green stuff on it. And it did feel sticky, when I touched it...

Neoma
March 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thank you Neoma, you are too kind.

I'm not sure why, myself. I'm thinking about the glycerin content... Or maybe some of the added ingredients?
I bet you could drop Ida a note and ask her, I've heard they are very nice (though I've never needed to contact them about an issue), maybe she knows why the bars haven't always cured after about 5-6 months (overall time) of curing.

I've cut open a few of the CV bars and found a bit of dampness (and a darker color) myself, but not to nearly the extent of this bar. And, to be fair, the bar was only freshly finished curing, I think it was Chamomile and Citrus. The "moist" center area touched another CP soap bar that I had in the same container, and left a line of green stuff on it. And it did feel sticky, when I touched it...You're welcome. :flower:

I'm sure you're right -- Ida would be glad to tell me. If it happens with another batch, I'll ask her.

I am in need of a little retail therapy, and I'm really sitting on my hands, trying not to place an order for more shampoo bars. I am in the mood to revisit PLH again -- I really love their Aloe Fresh (light fresh, green fragrance) and the Rosemary Nettle (very herby, smells divine).

Speaking of PLH, they don't make the shampoo bars on their site. You can also buy them directly from Karla (http://www.iasoaps.com/shampoo_bars.htm), the soap maker. I've never bought them directly from her, but I did exchange a couple of pleasant emails with her.

JennQ
March 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Whoo-hoo, they're here! :happydance: For those wondering about shipping time, I ordered mine last weekend, they shipped out on Tuesday, and I got them (in California) today. I think I would have gotten them yesterday, but the tracking info says USPS "missent" them at one point, which delayed them.
I'm off to the shower right now (can't wait until tonight!), and I will let you know the results when my hair dries (which will take a couple of days).

Neoma
March 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Whoo-hoo, they're here! :happydance: For those wondering about shipping time, I ordered mine last weekend, they shipped out on Tuesday, and I got them (in California) today. I think I would have gotten them yesterday, but the tracking info says USPS "missent" them at one point, which delayed them.
I'm off to the shower right now (can't wait until tonight!), and I will let you know the results when my hair dries (which will take a couple of days).I'm glad you got your order, Jenn!.

OMG, your hair takes two days to dry?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Alley Cat
March 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I have done my first shampoo bar was today after trialling WO for 2 months. I used PLH Hempchouli. Not sure what I am doing with my washing routine as yet, the WO didn't quite work out and for today I decided to do a shampoo bar wash. :)

SweetPea88
March 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I tried the Mud & Clay bar again last night and it was wonderful! My hair was very full and wavy after drying.

This bar was actually the first CV bar I ever tried and for awhile I thought I was allergic to it. During the first use, my face became very red and extremely irritated. I now have learned that when using the CV bars, never to touch my face! I still find this particular bar a little stronger (scent esp.) than the others I have tried, but it is wonderful for my hair. I am working on writing some short reviews of the bars I've tried so far.

MunchkinBubble
March 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE cv bars! I just recently got a new shipment and ordered a bunch of samples, but my usual ones I use are: Lavender Rosemary, Summer Sunshine and Mud and Clay. I'm also trying their facial soap bars as well and love them so far.

My hair is baby fine and fairly thin, but with shampoo bars my hair has so much body and always looks great.

pietri
March 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Enabled again!

I'm looking forward to a bar of CV Cafe Moreno (and another bar that sounded interesting, plus some samples) and I've ordered three bars of the Serpentine Medusa variety - might as well get a bunch of bars to make the shipping costs to Europe worth it (hey, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) I mean, a shampoo bar scenting of sandalwood, frankincence and myrrh? No way I can resist that :D
:disco::disco::disco:

Gemma
March 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Oh, the nylon poof thing is from the Serpentine Hair website, in the faqs. Here's the link (http://www.serpentinehair.com/faq.html), if you want to read up on it. It worked for Gemma, so I wanted to try it out, too.

I have to confess that I've abandoned using the nylon poof with these now. ^^;; I get a much better, richer lather if I just swipe the bars over my wet head a few times, and then use my fingertips to massage it into a lather.

BlndeInDisguise
March 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I have done my first shampoo bar was today after trialling WO for 2 months. I used PLH Hempchouli. Not sure what I am doing with my washing routine as yet, the WO didn't quite work out and for today I decided to do a shampoo bar wash. :)

Let me know how you like the Hempchouli--I have it, but haven't used it yet. It's been sitting around my room, and I'm starting to get VERY tired of the smell! :p

JennQ
March 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Neoma: It only takes that long to dry because I can't stand to have it down! After an hour or two I usually pop it into a bun, because it gets in my way and I can't do anything. I left it down all evening yesterday, so it's mostly dry now... But it's back in a bun (can't make coffee with it down!). Sometimes it takes three or four days. Hopefully I'll get it dry today and take some pictures.

What I did: I used the lavender-rosemary 'poo bar everywhere once, then used the honey-butter soup on the length. Finished up with an ACV rinse. No conditioner, because I wanted to see what the effects of just bars were.

First impressions: Maybe it's because I'm used to CO, but my hair seemed really dry after washing it. I was going to leave it as it was, but once the ends started drying (faster than usual, I think) they seemed very stiff and dry, so I put on a bit of coconut oil, which helped. It still seems dry to me, and a bit frizzy.

Conclusions: Next time I might just use a soap bar, and I'll definitely condition. This was the first time in my life that I've washed my hair without conditioning. My only concern is that the lovely, slippery texture my roots (new growth) have had since I started COing will go away if I start using 'poo again. My goal is to grow that new growth out to classic (five years, maybe).

Any thoughts/hints/tips/suggestions?

Neoma
March 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Let me know how you like the Hempchouli--I have it, but haven't used it yet. It's been sitting around my room, and I'm starting to get VERY tired of the smell! :pA dear LHC friend gave me a bar of PLH Hempchoui, and that's what started my love affair with shampoo bars. I had used shampoo bars before, with limited success. My hair loved the Hempchoui -- my nose, not so much. So I ordered a bunch of other fragrances from PLH, and my hair was happy. I eventually switched to CV, mainly because of the wide range of "flavors" Ida offers, and because I love her customer service, which is excellent.

Neoma: It only takes that long to dry because I can't stand to have it down! After an hour or two I usually pop it into a bun, because it gets in my way and I can't do anything. I left it down all evening yesterday, so it's mostly dry now... But it's back in a bun (can't make coffee with it down!). Sometimes it takes three or four days. Hopefully I'll get it dry today and take some pictures.

What I did: I used the lavender-rosemary 'poo bar everywhere once, then used the honey-butter soup on the length. Finished up with an ACV rinse. No conditioner, because I wanted to see what the effects of just bars were.

First impressions: Maybe it's because I'm used to CO, but my hair seemed really dry after washing it. I was going to leave it as it was, but once the ends started drying (faster than usual, I think) they seemed very stiff and dry, so I put on a bit of coconut oil, which helped. It still seems dry to me, and a bit frizzy.

Conclusions: Next time I might just use a soap bar, and I'll definitely condition. This was the first time in my life that I've washed my hair without conditioning. My only concern is that the lovely, slippery texture my roots (new growth) have had since I started COing will go away if I start using 'poo again. My goal is to grow that new growth out to classic (five years, maybe).

Any thoughts/hints/tips/suggestions?

Oh, yes, JennQ! We want pics!

My immediate thought regarding your first experience is that hair that has been cleansed with a shampoo bar feels totally different when it's wet than when it's dry. So, even though your hair may feel dried out now, it might feel better later.

Also, you've gotten used to CO'ing, which leaves one's hair very slippery and soft. It may simply be the contrast between the methods that you're experiencing.

Then again, perhaps your length is a bit dry. Lots of people apply a bit of oil to the length. I frequently apply a small dollop of aloe gel mixed with three drops of Moonchaser's SS Oil.

Please report back (with pics!) when your hair is dry.

Carina
March 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm gonna wash my hair tomorrow with summer sunshine.I usually make an acv rinse with some honey in it so it doesn't smell to bad.How many times do you lather up?

Neoma
March 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm gonna wash my hair tomorrow with summer sunshine.I usually make an acv rinse with some honey in it so it doesn't smell to bad.How many times do you lather up?Yum, I love Summer Sunshine! I usually lather up twice. Three times if I did a heavy oiling.

Carina
March 15th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you so much for your quick answer,Neoma:).I just love the smell from the bar even if I haven't used it yet.:cheese:

Neoma
March 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thank you so much for your quick answer,Neoma:).I just love the smell from the bar even if I haven't used it yet.:cheese:You're quite welcome, Carina. Please keep us posted on your results.

chloeishere
March 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have to confess that I've abandoned using the nylon poof with these now. ^^;; I get a much better, richer lather if I just swipe the bars over my wet head a few times, and then use my fingertips to massage it into a lather.

Ooooh, really? I might give up on the nylon poof idea then; I've always preferred lathering on my head with CV bars, too. It's much, much faster, and I think it cleans better. I just can't seem to get my scalp as soapy as I want with the nylon poof; but I couldn't do it when lathering my CV bars with my hands, either.

Enabled again!

I'm looking forward to a bar of CV Cafe Moreno (and another bar that sounded interesting, plus some samples) and I've ordered three bars of the Serpentine Medusa variety - might as well get a bunch of bars to make the shipping costs to Europe worth it (hey, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) I mean, a shampoo bar scenting of sandalwood, frankincence and myrrh? No way I can resist that :D
:disco::disco::disco:

Sorry to help enable (unless you don't mind too much!). I'll definitely try to help if you have any questions, if I can figure out my routine myself. I should have paid more attention to the first entry here where Gemma talked about how she didn't use conditioner with the Serpentine bars at first. It's just that a lot of people don't use conditioner with CV bars, but I definitely need to, so I figured it would be the same thing.
I thought about getting Medusa too, but I'm sensitive to strong scents (I get really bad headaches if I wear hardly any perfume anymore). I know I like sandalwood, but honestly have no idea what francincense and myrrh smell like... I figured it would be kind of incense-like, and most incense also gives me a headache. But I'd love to hear what you think of it!

I'm going to wash again tonight... scalp hair is definitely feeling oily, and I have to work early tomorrow, so I'm showering the night before.

Neoma
March 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Luna, my European starling, http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/nyneoma/MyBabies001-1-1.jpgis happily deconstructing my wrapped bun. No matter... I'll just make another one. I can't keep my hands off my hair today.

This morning, I shampooed twice with a Carrot Milk & Honey CV bar. This is one of my all-time favs, but I haven't used it in months. I followed with a mild herbed WV/EO rinse.

I gently detangled with my fingers as my hair dried; I had no major tangles.

My hair is super shiny and silky. It almost looks like what I call "Pantene hair," but it's not as slippery, so I'm able to make lasting updos.

I must have taken my hair down a dozen times so I could practice updos. Truth be told, I just wanted to play with my hair.

I think that I may have rediscovered my Holy Grail shampoo bar.:disco: if my hair lookes and feels this good consistently, shampoo after shampoo, I will be a happy camper.

Katja
March 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
This morning, I shampooed twice with a Carrot Milk & Honey CV bar. This is one of my all-time favs, but I haven't used it in months. I followed with a mild herbed WV/EO rinse.

I think that I may have rediscovered my Holy Grail shampoo bar. if my hair lookes and feels this good consistently, shampoo after shampoo, I will be a happy camper.

Neoma, that sounds wonderful! I can't wait until the new batch of Carrot Milk & Honey bars have cured long enough for purchase -- I've had my eye on it for a while.

I just received my latest shipment of CV bars on Wednesday. In addition to getting full size bars of samples I liked, I also got bars of Chamomile & Citrus, Rosemary Lavendar Aloe, and some new samples.

I tried the Chamomile & Citrus bar, and I love it. :D My hair turned out very soft and fluffy (surprising adjective for my straight, fine hair), and my hair even showed a little wave. I think it helped that I took chloeishere's suggestion and cut back a bit on the lathering.

I won't say that this is my holy grail bar until I try my other new bars, but it will be hard to top this one.

chloeishere
March 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I love chamomile and citrus too-- I also ADORE the way it smells, which is always nice.
Glad the suggestion was helpful for you! Even though this is a gentle method, I do feel like my hair is nicer if I don't "overwash" it.

scherzo
March 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone!

I used CV bars for quite a while: nettle, chamomile/citrus, and summer sunshine, I think. This last time I bought a bar of soap at the grocery store instead (I read the ingredients! It was just coconut soap.) and it works fine. I lather down to my shoulders because I'm lazy and my hair isn't really dirty below that, and then I rinse, apply ACV, and rinse. I like soap because it's non-itchy and seems better environmentally.

I have this Suave strawberry-scented conditioner that I've tried using sometimes, and I don't know if it is just a really non-functional conditioner or if for some reason it doesn't get along with soap, because when I've used it, it makes my hair kind of sticky and waxy, really unpleasant. This is not something you would expect of conditioner! It doesn't even have cones in it, I don't know what the deal is.

Neoma
March 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone!

I have this Suave strawberry-scented conditioner that I've tried using sometimes, and I don't know if it is just a really non-functional conditioner or if for some reason it doesn't get along with soap, because when I've used it, it makes my hair kind of sticky and waxy, really unpleasant. This is not something you would expect of conditioner! It doesn't even have cones in it, I don't know what the deal is.scherzo, I have used conditioner after shampoo bars, with and without a vinegar rinse, and they work just fine for me. But lots of people have reported that conditioning after using a shampoo bar makes their hair sticky and waxy. I don't know why that would be; perhaps we have a scientist among us who could tell us.

Calling all scientist...

pietri
March 16th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Sorry to help enable (unless you don't mind too much!). I'll definitely try to help if you have any questions, if I can figure out my routine myself. I should have paid more attention to the first entry here where Gemma talked about how she didn't use conditioner with the Serpentine bars at first. It's just that a lot of people don't use conditioner with CV bars, but I definitely need to, so I figured it would be the same thing.
I thought about getting Medusa too, but I'm sensitive to strong scents (I get really bad headaches if I wear hardly any perfume anymore). I know I like sandalwood, but honestly have no idea what francincense and myrrh smell like... I figured it would be kind of incense-like, and most incense also gives me a headache. But I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Thank you Chloe :) I'll definitely let you know what I think about the scent intensity, but I have to warn you - I like it when a scent stays in my hair and I suspect the scent needs to be somewhat intense for that.

I've used CV bars before, but my main problem is I'm too curious to actually stay with one of them (or any other shampoo) for long which means I usually end up with at least three bars lying next to my bathtub and because a lot of the bars don't have a distinct look I'm confused about which one is which after a while.

The Cafe Moreno one looks like I would recognize it even after a few weeks *grin*

I also have to use conditioner, mainly to untangle my hair or I'll end up with a tangled mess the morning after washing.

Alley Cat
March 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Let me know how you like the Hempchouli--I have it, but haven't used it yet. It's been sitting around my room, and I'm starting to get VERY tired of the smell! :p
I actually really like the smell . :) It's a nice bar that lathers like a charm [ actually all the PLH's lather up a storm] and works well. :smile:

Carina
March 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I just love the summer sunshinebar.I did lather up twice and followed up with acv/honey rinse.My hair just said thank you thank you:).But I managed to get to much oil when I was supposed to do a light oiling:o.So light suddenly became heavy:p.But my ends doesn't complain so I'll co it out tomorrow I think.:rolleyes:.

truepeacenik
March 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
i use CV bars which are wonderful for my hair and helped me with my scalp problems, and my hair seem to love them as well.
accidentally i bought on sale a shampoo bar from this company
http://www.themysticmasala.com/
and although the smell is quite strong i must say it is a quite good shampoo as well. thought somebody might want to try!

cheers.

ENABLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

I'm so bookmarking that....

Smokie
March 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Just tried the CV Scarborough Faire soap bar as shampoo. Is it just me, or does anyone else's hair seem to just DRINK the soap before you can make a lather? I swear, I have a better shot at lather if I rub the bar on my head (following the direction of growth so's not to ruffle my poor battered cuticles), so I did. And by the time I felt like I had enough on me to make a lather, I still couldn't. It felt almost like I hadn't had the soap near my head yet. So I rubbed some more and managed a meager lather. My hair felt much less "sticky/squeaky" with this bar even after the first lather. Definitely easier to fingercomb.

Then I used Nature's Gate (I think) Henna Conditioner and some Cure Care. Let that sit clipped up under a showercap while I washed my body with the SF soap. Holy cow did I get some crazy lather when I rubbed that bar on my shower puff. Not thick enough to have made it to my scalp, but still. I swear my hair eats CV bars.

It was at this point I realized I'd forgotten my ACV rinse, so I rinsed the conditioner out thoroughly and made with the ACV rinse. Let that sit a minute (rubbed into my scalp a bit). Then conditioned AGAIN with the NG Henna condish.

Hair's still drying but it feels and smells quite nice. I don't have time to wash like this every day, but I think I'll call it my WWCACVC (Wash, Wash, Condition, Apple Cider Vinegar, Condition). :silly:

Now that the family stuff is done, it's time to put a bit more oil on my ends and get to sleep.

This hair... It drinks anything close to liquid that comes near it....

Neoma
March 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I just love the summer sunshinebar.I did lather up twice and followed up with acv/honey rinse.My hair just said thank you thank you:).But I managed to get to much oil when I was supposed to do a light oiling:o.So light suddenly became heavy:p.But my ends doesn't complain so I'll co it out tomorrow I think.:rolleyes:.I'm glad that your hair enjoyed Summer Sunshine so much, Carina!

lora410
March 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Anyone notice the ACV rinse not working as well after awhile or is it just me?

Ohio Sky
March 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Im so frusterated with poo bars. I cant seem to get away from that waxy feeling, and I cant go more than 3 days max between washings. I only ordered 2 bars to start with, the marshmallow and babassu and the extra honey beer and egg, and I have the same problem with both of them. So I ordered some more samples (havent gotten here yet) and Im hoping theres at least one in there that will work for me.
I used the marshmallow and babassu on DD4 last night with an ACV rinse and then a light oiling with sweet almond oil and her hair is beautiful this morning. Im so jealous sometimes :/

2BThinAgain
March 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
My CV bars order came in today that I ordered a week ago :) I can't wait to use them tomorrow...
I'll report back how it goes:taz:

Deb in UpState NY:D

Miss Murphy
March 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Im so frusterated with poo bars. I cant seem to get away from that waxy feeling, and I cant go more than 3 days max between washings. I only ordered 2 bars to start with, the marshmallow and babassu and the extra honey beer and egg, and I have the same problem with both of them. So I ordered some more samples (havent gotten here yet) and Im hoping theres at least one in there that will work for me.
I used the marshmallow and babassu on DD4 last night with an ACV rinse and then a light oiling with sweet almond oil and her hair is beautiful this morning. Im so jealous sometimes :/

Ohio Sky - you might just have picked just the wrong ones to start out with. I know that the marshmallow and babassu is VERY moisturising, and the honey beer and egg is used by most LHCers as a protein treatment, not as a regular shampoo.

I am still transitioning, too - I can go for a week without washing if I use regular shampoo, but only 5 days with a CV bar (and the last day is really icky). I have slightly better results with the rosemary mint and the chamomile citrus.

If I were you, I wouldn't give up on the bars just yet :)

Starr
March 18th, 2008, 10:03 AM
All of you are horrible enablers! I just order a couple of samples from CV yesterday because of this thread.

kimberlily
March 18th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Ohio Sky, I agree with Miss Murphy. The Olive Babassu bar is extremely moisturizing. In fact, I have stopped using it because I was having gunk problems on my scalp. I don't like the honey beer & egg at all. It made my hair unhappy.

My favourite is the Summer Sunshine. DH uses that one as an all-over hair & body bar.

Lora410, I don't use ACV anymore. It worked well in the beginning, but I find that a white vinegar & citric acid rinse are amazing for me. I put 1 tbsp of vinegar and 1/2 tsp of powdered citric acid (I buy True Lemon from the spice aisle at the grocery store) in a pitcher of warm filtered water and dip my length in it, then pour it over my head. The vinegar smell goes away faster too.

sweetkandi
March 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I just ordered my first CV bar. Im so excited, I cant wait for it to get here. I ordered the Rosemary Lavander Aloe bar. I wanted to get the summer one, but all sold out. i think this one will work good. I will write back when I get my hands on it lol.

Carina
March 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I'm not the only one who loves my cv bars in my family anymore:mad:.Yesterday when I was going to take a shower I got a big shocker.My ss bar was half as big as when I left it.My dear son,11 years old, is crazy about them now:taz:.He wants to order more.Does your bars get used by another familymember?*still in chock*

helanek
March 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
truepeacenik - i have no idea how to enable people. they never do what i want them to anyways... :o but enjoy the link...

Advaya
March 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I love the idea of shampoo bars. When I had dreadlocks I used the Burt Bee's one but didn't have any luck with it. I found some goat milk shampoos at Whole Foods which were wonderful for my dreads.

However I have not had any luck with them in non-dreaded hair. I would love to give them another go though, as it just seems much easier to take a bar of soap with me than carrying shampoos, if I travel or am camping.

I'm going to be going through this post thoroughly for advice and.. enabling.

I am using homemade shampoo right now which is working better than anything I've tried before and I'm afraid to mess with a good thing. I love soap though!! Love Love Love soap. I want my hair to love soap as much as I do. *Sigh*

Calista
March 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Sweetkandi, that´s a very nice bar you picked there. Good choice! :cheer: I´m sure you´ll like it.

Carina, my BF uses shampoo bars as well (he´s growing out his hair). I even got him one just for himself.

almudena
March 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
My favourites are Cafe Moreno, Summer Sunshine and Chamomile and Citrus. The ones that didn't work were Mud&Clay and Carrot Milk&Honey (this one leaves my hair very coated and waxy). But I have los to try yet :)

I CWC and don't apply the soap on my length anymore. I only do my scalp while my length is covered by conditioner and the rinse both at the same time.

BTW, this site http://www.themysticmasala.com/index.html looks great!

Calista
March 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Great, but expensive, don´t you guys think? I think I get better value out of Ida´s bars.

sapphire-o
March 19th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I'm thinking about trying Prairieland Herbs shampoo bars. My hair is a bit oily so it doesn't need any of those super moisturizing stuff. Can anyone recommend some of their bars? :)

almudena
March 19th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Great, but expensive, don´t you guys think? I think I get better value out of Ida´s bars.

I have to admit that that was my first thought when I checked it.
I would love a shampoo bar with henna. Maybe Ida would accept a suggestion :)

Hypnotica
March 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Okey, you have convinced me...

I just ordered samples of CV, Chamomille/Lemon and the Cucumber/Youghurt.

carinkla
March 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I did a go of CV bars for a dutch/ belgian forum called Raponsje. I have already started trying some of my samples mud and clay, babbasu marshmellow, olive babbasu but since I am a person who does not want much work I washed only once and did not use acv rinse or conditioner. The mud clay felt reasonable but cause soapflocks in my hair. the babbasu marshmellon and olive babbasu did leave my hair dry. I now went 'crazy' and used a non shampoo bar (shea rose clay) since Ida tell the contain more fatts (somewhere on her site) and an acv. My hair is not dry (usually takes more then 24 hours) but I never had so much waves (will put a pic in my album soon).. the hair also feels soft (only seems to take longer to dry then usual??)

Gemma
March 19th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'm so relieved!

I started suffering from a seriously itchy scalp around January, and recently stopped using my usual products (hair oils, Serpentine Hair shampoo bars, etc), and instead just used a tea tree oil shampoo (SLS and cone-free, still) and Goth Rosary conditioner.

Once the itching settled down, I switched back onto my hair oils, introducing them one at a time to see if they'd been the culprit, and, finally, my Serpentine Hair bars.

I am very pleased to say that the awful itching has not returned. *phew* I'm so glad because I just love my shampoo bars. They're the best I've ever tried.

alys
March 19th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I scanned this thread, which is great, I think. Sorry to say I'm at work and cannot read its entirety right now. But, as a previous poo bar user with poor long-term results, I'm curious -
How many of you posters and would be posters are STILL using shampoo bars after 6 months? After 12? If not, why? What made you ultimately decide to stop?

For me, a lover of all things natural & the concept of poo bars, it was the lack of movement that finally curbed me. I used poo bars for about 6 months, perhaps a little longer. Loved everything but the fact that my hairs seemed to lose thier individuality, they no longer moved separately. It was like they clung to eachother and moved on one large mass.
For me, that defeats the purpose of everyday hair wear. I like my hair to move freely. BUT- I agree with another poster. Poo bars make for great updos, they hold and are thick!

Calista
March 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I have to admit that that was my first thought when I checked it.
I would love a shampoo bar with henna. Maybe Ida would accept a suggestion :)

Almudena, I think Ida once mentioned experimenting on a henna or cassia bar. I´m not sure how far she has come, though. I might ask her next time I order.

Hairstorm
March 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Does anybody NOT use the shampoo bar on their length--at least, not all the time? I used mine on the length today for the first time, because I accidentally used too much oil (I very rarely use oil anyway). But it seems like most people use it all through their hair.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until today.

I only use the CV bars on my scalp. I make a low bun, and cover it with a shower cap. I wash my scalp by bending forward and using a handheld showerhead.

kimberlily
March 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Alys, I've been using them for about a year, and have no desire to switch washing methods. My scalp isn't happy with any other method.

BlndeInDisguise, I don't use much lather on the length of my hair. I just let what is on my scalp run down the length, instead of rubbing it with the bar.

helanek
March 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
check here
http://sunrisesoapcompany.net/products.html
i have the henna bar - it is great - half size of cv but also half price. love them...

Chromis
March 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I scanned this thread, which is great, I think. Sorry to say I'm at work and cannot read its entirety right now. But, as a previous poo bar user with poor long-term results, I'm curious -
How many of you posters and would be posters are STILL using shampoo bars after 6 months? After 12? If not, why? What made you ultimately decide to stop?

For me, a lover of all things natural & the concept of poo bars, it was the lack of movement that finally curbed me. I used poo bars for about 6 months, perhaps a little longer. Loved everything but the fact that my hairs seemed to lose thier individuality, they no longer moved separately. It was like they clung to eachother and moved on one large mass.
For me, that defeats the purpose of everyday hair wear. I like my hair to move freely. BUT- I agree with another poster. Poo bars make for great updos, they hold and are thick!

I have used them for over a year and still love them. I've not had any trouble with losing any "movement" and they make my hair very shiny and soft. I do need to use an ACV or citric acid rinse however to get good results, and a much stronger one than most seem to use.

hrimfaxi
March 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I don't use much lather on the length of my hair. I just let what is on my scalp run down the length, instead of rubbing it with the bar.

I do this also.

lora410
March 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM
check here
http://sunrisesoapcompany.net/products.html
i have the henna bar - it is great - half size of cv but also half price. love them...

Omg you just had to post that :lol: I know what my next poo bar is gonna be.:cheese:

hrimfaxi
March 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not the only one who loves my cv bars in my family anymore:mad:.Yesterday when I was going to take a shower I got a big shocker.My ss bar was half as big as when I left it.My dear son,11 years old, is crazy about them now:taz:.He wants to order more.Does your bars get used by another familymember?*still in chock*

Not my 'poo bars... DBF uses my soap when he showers at my place, of course, and usually complains that it smells funny. :silly: I guess that's not the same as him liking it and therefore using it...

Ohio Sky
March 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Ohio Sky - you might just have picked just the wrong ones to start out with. I know that the marshmallow and babassu is VERY moisturising, and the honey beer and egg is used by most LHCers as a protein treatment, not as a regular shampoo.

I am still transitioning, too - I can go for a week without washing if I use regular shampoo, but only 5 days with a CV bar (and the last day is really icky). I have slightly better results with the rosemary mint and the chamomile citrus.

If I were you, I wouldn't give up on the bars just yet :)

Oh Im not giving up yet, Miss Murphy, Ive got 4 or 5 more samples coming :D Have to try a fair amount before i write them off. I ordered Cafe Moreno, Sunner Sunshine, Olive and Babassu, and Mud and Clay, along with a few more soaps :) Hopefully I will fall in love with one of them.

Neoma
March 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking about trying Prairieland Herbs shampoo bars. My hair is a bit oily so it doesn't need any of those super moisturizing stuff. Can anyone recommend some of their bars? :)sapphire-o, I love PLH shampoo bars. I'm thinking about placing an order, maybe even tonight. My favorite PLH bars are Aloe Fresh and Rosemary Nettle. I also like the Peppermint Teatree, but not as much. I think that it works as well, but it's not minty as I would like. And I'm crazy about the clean, fresh fragrance of the AF and RN.

For me, that defeats the purpose of everyday hair wear. I like my hair to move freely. BUT- I agree with another poster. Poo bars make for great updos, they hold and are thick!alys, I've been using them as my primary cleansing method for at least 2 years. I could tell you exactly, but LHC ate my old journal. :silly:

My hair doesn't turn into one large mass, but it usually doesn't look as pretty down as it does when I use other cleansing methods. But I wear my hair up 99.9% of the time, and poo bars give me the perfect "updo texture," so I keep using them.

I rebelled this a.m. and used a cone-laden shampoo and conditioner. My hair was so slippery that my updos slipped apart immediately; I watched them unravell before my eyes.

Tomorrow, I'll go back to my poo bars.

helanek
March 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
lora410 - you are welcome :D

Neoma
March 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
sapphire-o, it's all your fault. :silly: I just ordered two bars each of PLH aloe fresh and rosemary nettle. I also ordered a tin of their white chocolate whipped shea, which I absolutely adore. I use it on my face, hair, lips...whatever needs delicious smelling moisture.

natieya
March 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I have tried CV soaps and love them. I just ordered some CV shampoo bars and some PLH shampoo bars. Aloe Fresh, Pinion Leaf, and Rosemary. I am hoping the Pinion Leaf works well. I also really like the idea of the aloe bar. I pretty much ordered one of each of the CV poo bars. Here's hoping something works for this 4b relaxed, desert dry hair. :)

comicalcupcake
March 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Is there any reason an ACV rinse would work better than a lemon juice rinse? I much prefer the scent of fresh lemons in my hair :) I have been CO for 4 months, but have serious dandruff. I'm going to put coconut oil on my scalp, which will necessitate a stronger wash, and was going to use castile soap (with coconut and olive based fats). ACV rinses haven't done that well for me yet. I have hard water, but have recently put on an activated carbon filter, which should take care of some of it.

Melein
March 20th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I've just placed an order for some samples, for which I blame this thread. ;)

I hope my hair likes them now! I've got very hard water, but already do ACV rineses on occasion, so it won't hurt to make them more frequent.

Neoma
March 20th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I have tried CV soaps and love them. I just ordered some CV shampoo bars and some PLH shampoo bars. Aloe Fresh, Pinion Leaf, and Rosemary. I am hoping the Pinion Leaf works well. I also really like the idea of the aloe bar. I pretty much ordered one of each of the CV poo bars. Here's hoping something works for this 4b relaxed, desert dry hair. :)Oh boy! You went on a shampoo bar shopping spree, natieya! Lucky you! I hope that the PLH bars work for you. Aloe Fresh is my fav. My hair loves aloe. I use aloe gel on my hair regularly.

Is there any reason an ACV rinse would work better than a lemon juice rinse? I much prefer the scent of fresh lemons in my hair :) I have been CO for 4 months, but have serious dandruff. I'm going to put coconut oil on my scalp, which will necessitate a stronger wash, and was going to use castile soap (with coconut and olive based fats). ACV rinses haven't done that well for me yet. I have hard water, but have recently put on an activated carbon filter, which should take care of some of it.
There are folks who use lemon juice in their hair instead of vinegar rinses. Anything acidic (and diluted) serves the same purpose. I have used lemon juice from time to time. I basically stick with the white vinegar because it's dirt cheap. Also, by the time I add herbs and EO's, my WV smells really good (at least to me).

Sunshine69
March 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I love the CV bars, and the dog shampoo bars. My favorites are nettle and olive/babassu. I've also been making my own soap and shampoo bars, but I gave so much of it away, that now I'm out again and my latest batch still needs a week to cure. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with soft water. I only use a vinegar rinse occassionally, otherwise it seems to give a wierd texture to my hair.

My dog's coat and skin is so healthy since I"ve been washing her with real soap. she looks beautiful.

comicalcupcake
March 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks Neoma, that's what I suspected. I'll eventually test both under similar conditions and examine the results. Today I think I'll do vinegar as I haven't done it in a while. I have some aloe gel lying around. At what stage of the wash/rinse/style do you put it on your hair? Yours is so shiny and soft-looking, you must be doing something right!

Ohio Sky
March 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I tried my marshmallow and babassu again this morning using the less lather method, and only on my scalp, which I hadnt tried yet. I did a pretty strong ACV rinse and I still got the stringies, so I guess its from the ACV :shrug:

I guess next Ill have to try a scalp wash only with a mild white vinegar next.

Hairstorm
March 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have a question. Do any of you get scalp flakes from using these bars?

I like my hair better without using an acidic rinse, but my scalp gets flaky. Now, even with the white vinegar rinse, my scalp gets flaky. How can I stop the flakes?

Ohio Sky
March 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Prhapsoil your scalp with aloe or something the night before washing? Im not sure, I dont have this problem, just an idea. Hopefully someone else will be more help.

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I tried my marshmallow and babassu again this morning using the less lather method, and only on my scalp, which I hadnt tried yet. I did a pretty strong ACV rinse and I still got the stringies, so I guess its from the ACV :shrug:

I guess next Ill have to try a scalp wash only with a mild white vinegar next.

From what people have said the marshmallow and Bassau is ultra moisturizing and I think thats why your getting the stringys. Also I heard the been and honey was ultra mositurizing as well.

Celtic Queen
March 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Personally, the super-honey-beer-egg bar leaves my hair absolutely wonderful, while the babassu-marshmallow left them stringy...

I find it fascinating to see the individuality of each person's hair and the variety of reactions! Shows the "one-size-fits-all" approach of the beauty industry does not work.

Neoma
March 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with soft water. I only use a vinegar rinse occassionally, otherwise it seems to give a wierd texture to my hair.

My dog's coat and skin is so healthy since I"ve been washing her with real soap. she looks beautiful.It's funny... NYC has soft water and, in theory, I should be able to skip vinegar rinses. But when I do, my hair generally looks dull and lackluster.

Let's see a pic of your dog with her beautiful coat, Sunshine!

Thanks Neoma, that's what I suspected. I'll eventually test both under similar conditions and examine the results. Today I think I'll do vinegar as I haven't done it in a while. I have some aloe gel lying around. At what stage of the wash/rinse/style do you put it on your hair? Yours is so shiny and soft-looking, you must be doing something right!You're welcome.

comicalcupcake, I think your name is comical. It makes me smile! :D

Thank you for the lovely compliment. I usually shampoo 2X with a poo bar and rinse thoroughly. Then I apply my vinegar rinse and clip my hair on top of my head while I finish my showerly duties. I usually don't rinse it out.

I received a sweet note from Donna at Prairieland Herbs saying that she's shipping my order today. Yay!

I'm having a fabulous hair day. If it looked and felt as good every day as it does today, I'd be a happy camper. Last night, I smoothed a teeny bit of CV whipped shea through my hair. This morning, I shampooed twice with a Lavender Spice CV bar. I followed with an herbed WV/EO rinse that was twice as strong as I usually use. I did not rinse it out.

I've gotten away from combing my hair while it's wet. While it dries, I pick up pieces and shake them gently, and most of the tangles just fall out. If I have any any major tangles, which is rare, I gently finger comb them out.

SweetPea88
March 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Personally, the super-honey-beer-egg bar leaves my hair absolutely wonderful, while the babassu-marshmallow left them stringy...

I find it fascinating to see the individuality of each person's hair and the variety of reactions! Shows the "one-size-fits-all" approach of the beauty industry does not work.

This is exactly what happens to me as well.

I used the extra honey beer & egg today and infused some rosemary & sage into my ACV rinse, it was wonderful!

Is there any difference between using ACV and white vinegar?

Neoma
March 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Is there any difference between using ACV and white vinegar?SweetPea, I tried using ACV, the one with "the Mother in it," but it was so stinky that I couldn't finish the bottle. I've been using white vinegar for at least a couple of years, and I love it.

Sunshine69
March 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
This is my dog Chloe. She's about 1-1/2 years old and has been using CV dog shampoo bars for about 3 months. She loves the oatmeal one. It makes her coat so soft.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/Grizzabella23/chloe.jpg

Neoma
March 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
This is my dog Chloe. She's about 1-1/2 years old and has been using CV dog shampoo bars for about 3 months. She loves the oatmeal one. It makes her coat so soft.

Chloe is beautiful, Sunshine. What lovely locks she has!

chloeishere
March 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM

She's a beautiful dog! I love her face, she looks like such a sweetie! And she looks so soft-- I bet she smells great.

I'm also rather partial to that name of hers... ;)

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I am a soapmaker and I have not made a "shampoo bar" yet. I have used my soap as shampoo when traveling, but have not made the switch. What would you want in the soap? Do you like it better than liquid shampoo? I am in search of new products for my hair, unsatisfied with my current one (Avalon Organics Lavender). Help!

Neoma
March 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I am a soapmaker and I have not made a "shampoo bar" yet. I have used my soap as shampoo when traveling, but have not made the switch. What would you want in the soap? Do you like it better than liquid shampoo? I am in search of new products for my hair, unsatisfied with my current one (Avalon Organics Lavender). Help!
aprilmay, are you asking what makes a shampoo bar different from a soap bar? I'm a little unclear. If the answer is yes, then I would suggest that you read the CV and PLH websites, which have some good info on the differences between the two. There are also a few soapmakers on LHC who would be glad to tell you the differences, as well. In fact, I think there may already be a thread about that.

Yes, I like shampoo bars way better than liquid shampoo. My posts throughout this thread, especially the first two, explain why.

HTH

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
My understanding is castor oil is the main added ingredient to shampoo bars. I just find it interesting why people prefer them being frustrated with my current shampoo. Hair is a commitment, but I get distracted by everything else in my life!

Neoma
March 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
My understanding is castor oil is the main added ingredient to shampoo bars. I just find it interesting why people prefer them being frustrated with my current shampoo. Hair is a commitment, but I get distracted by everything else in my life!
I'm sorry, aprilmay, I had misunderstood your questions.

In a nutshell, I prefer shampoo bars because I believe:

They are more gentle than any liquid shampoo that I have ever used.
They give my baby fine hair more body than any other cleansing routine that I have ever used. (And body allows me to create lasting updos, which is something I can't do when I use conventional shampoo and conditioner.)
They routine that I use -- shampoo bar followed by a vinegar rinse -- is easy and inexpensive.
I like that shampoo bars have minimal packaging, are natural and, usually are made by small business owners.There are probably other reasons, but those are the ones that occur to me right now. :sleep:

Calista
March 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Talking of dog shampoos - once more I would like to encourage everyone to give Ida´s dog shampoos a try. I use the Cedarwood&Lavender myself, and it is one of my favourite bars! I haven´t tried the oatmeal one as I´m a little wary of having pieces of oatmeal clinging to my hair, but maybe chloeishere could give it a try. They are truly wonderful shampoos, not just for dogs! I know I said this before, but I really feel those shampoos shouldn´t be hidden in Ida´s pet section.

Celtic Queen
March 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM
Oooh, Chloe is a beautiful long hair girl, Sunshine69! give her a good pat on the head from me.

Miss Murphy
March 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM
I basically stick with the white vinegar because it's dirt cheap. Also, by the time I add herbs and EO's, my WV smells really good (at least to me).

Neoma, I'd love to hear what herbs and EOs you add to your vinegar rinse! I'm quite into herbs right now, so I'd love to get some input.

Hairstorm
March 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Thank you, Ohio Sky! :flowers: Yes, I love aloe and I use it as a leave-in on my scalp. I also mix it with lotion (must be non-cone) and apply that to my scalp, and that is a wonderful moisturizer. Still, the flakes return when I wash. Maybe shampoo bars are just not for me, which would be too bad. It seems no one else here has the flake problem.

I also use the Shampooch on my dog and it works great. I tried it on myself and I got itchy, but then I'm allergic to lavender. You can see Kumi in my photo album if you're interested.

Sunshine69
March 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hairstorm, which shampoo bars did you try? one of my favorites is the Olive/babassu bar. It's not scented with anything and is very mild. How often do you wash your hair? Are the flakes you describe actually skin and not some buildup from products or shampoos or soap curd from hard water?

Calista, I agree with you about the dog shampoos. My husband likes the cedarwood for himself. I've never had a problem rinsing out the little bits of oatmeal from the oatmeal bar. I have also tried many of Ida's regular shampoo bars and soaps on my dog. They're all pretty versatile. Some of the shampoo bars that I didn't love for my hair I really loved as regular soaps. For anyone considering these CV bars, I suggest that you just order a bunch of samples (of soaps and shampoo bars and even shampooch) that sound interesting and try them all on your hair, body and even dog.

Hairstorm
March 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hairstorm, which shampoo bars did you try? one of my favorites is the Olive/babassu bar. It's not scented with anything and is very mild. How often do you wash your hair? Are the flakes you describe actually skin and not some buildup from products or shampoos or soap curd from hard water?

Thanks Sunshine69! 8)

I've tried:
Olive & Babassu: This probably worked the best of all of them, but the sample got used so quickly I couldn't evaluate properly.
Babassu & Marshmallow: made me itchy and flaky.
Nettle: second best, but a bit drying/flaky.
Castile & Caledula soap: made my hair feel wonderful, but made me flakiest of all.
Cedarwood & Lavender Shampooch: itchy. I'm allergic to lavender.

I think what is happening is the soap gives me dry skin, which then turns into flakes. How can I tell the difference between skin flakes or product flakes? Mine seem adhered to the scalp, then come off in 2-3 mm flakes (sorry if TMI.) It also makes my forehead flaky.

My area does have hard water but I use a shower filter now. I wash about every 2-3 days.

wonderlywroughte
March 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I just got a sample of Cafe Moreno from CV. I can't wait to use it! Yay! :heart: I'm thinking a washing is due for tomorrow. (Um...my hair was already due for a washing. But maybe with a new bar to use, I won't make excuses and put it off like I usually do!)

ari810
March 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
I just got Nettle and Olive Oil and Babussu (?) is that how you spell it? It just reminds me of how you say 'they are kissing' in arabic. In any case, I was so thrilled with the Nettle that I didn't try the other one. You made me want to try it. I am really happy with CV bars and I don't feel an adjustment period though thanks for the hints about the acv rinse. Very appreciative of all the help.

Neoma
March 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Talking of dog shampoos - once more I would like to encourage everyone to give Ida´s dog shampoos a try. I use the Cedarwood&Lavender myself, and it is one of my favourite bars! I haven´t tried the oatmeal one as I´m a little wary of having pieces of oatmeal clinging to my hair, but maybe chloeishere could give it a try. They are truly wonderful shampoos, not just for dogs! I know I said this before, but I really feel those shampoos shouldn´t be hidden in Ida´s pet section.My goodness, I love the multi-quote feature!

I'm glad that you jumped into this conversation, Calista! I knew that one of our LHC members was extremely fond of Ida's dog shampoo bars. I've got to give them a try some time.

Neoma, I'd love to hear what herbs and EOs you add to your vinegar rinse! I'm quite into herbs right now, so I'd love to get some input.Miss Murphy! So nice to see you. :blossom:

When I make herbed vinegar, I add one or more of the following: hibiscus flowers, peppermint, nettles. Hibiscus provides a little slip. I find that when I use nettles in my rinses, detangling is easier. And peppermint stimulates the scalp.

I let them steep in a small jar of white vinegar for at least a week, preferrably a month. Then I strain the herbs out and mix the herbed vinegar into the gallon jug of white vinegar and add my EO's.

My three all-time favorite EO's are all good for the scalp. And I love the way that they smell, individually and together. I usually add equal parts of all three to my gallon jug of white vinegar.

I just got Nettle and Olive Oil and Babussu (?) is that how you spell it? It just reminds me of how you say 'they are kissing' in arabic. In any case, I was so thrilled with the Nettle that I didn't try the other one. You made me want to try it. I am really happy with CV bars and I don't feel an adjustment period though thanks for the hints about the acv rinse. Very appreciative of all the help.ari, I'm glad that you're enjoying your CV bars and didn't have to endure an adjustment period.

Now I'll think "they are kissing" every time I hear "babassu." :)

Mahars
March 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hello hello

Aww reading this thread is like coming home to the old LHC. I didn't post much back when I read because I lurked for a few months, but I loved reading all of your posts. Thanks for starting this up again Neoma!

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but do any of you know if shampoo bars strip out color? I did hendigo a couple months ago and noticed that my color seemed to fade more quickly when I was using CV bars. My theory is that the shampoo bars are alkaline and therefore open up the cuticle, letting some of the color escape. I'm not sure if this is why, but something made my color fade.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hope it's not the shampoo bars that make my color fade because I really liked what they did for my hair and I'd like to start using them again. What do you guys think?

Gwaihiril
March 22nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
I just finished reading through all 19 pages of this thread and I am fascinated. I definitely want to try shampoo bars! I mentioned it to my mom during dinner tonight and she asked me to send her the links - of which I have a multitude thanks to all of you! I think the hardest part will be trying to decide which bar(s?) I want to try first.

jstar
March 22nd, 2008, 05:00 AM
I can't seem to use pure soap regularly without buildup, and I have access to Lush in my town, so I'm experimenting with their bars now.

For those who don't know, Lush recently made a switch in their line; now Seanick, Soak and Float, Squeaky Green [I]and[I] New! are all SLS free. They still use a synthetic (It's in the "safe synthetic" category), called sodium coco-sulfate, however that is the only synthetic for some of the shampoos. (The main ingredient)

I'm not too thrilled by the "perfume" ingredient, because it is so unspecific, and I'd rather scent my own, but I'm going to experiment and let you all know how it goes. There are some people who simply cannot use lye-soap because of their water. I think it's mildly incredible that we can have a bar shampoo too!

I'm using Trichomenia alone right now, as a soap and shampoo. I think it may be too moisturizing, because I'm getting buildup from *it* too. Will do a clarifying wash next time, and see.

Enjoy your bars of soapy goodness!

2BThinAgain
March 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hey Everyone !! :)

I tried the Clay and Mud one first from cv and liked it.
Then the next day I tried the sunshine one and loved it.

Havent used them again as I love to rotate my many products so my hair doesnt get too used to anyone thing.

I still found that I need to use my all time fav Giovanni Direct leave in...GOT TO LOVE IT !!!!!

Will be using the Olive/B on my trip to Montana and yes taking my 50/50 and Direct from Giovanni with me. My hair and skin do not like it being so dry like it is in MT...just me,lol.

Have a Happy Easter everyone!!!

Deb in UpState NY

Miss Murphy
March 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Miss Murphy! So nice to see you. :blossom:
Good to see you too! :)
I've been reading this thread since the beginning, but so far haven't had much to say :shrug:

My three all-time favorite EO's are all good for the scalp. And I love the way that they smell, individually and together. I usually add equal parts of all three to my gallon jug of white vinegar.

Yes, but which ones are your three all-time faves? :shakesNeoma:
I added 2 drops of Rosemary to my rinse today (after lavender spice), so I don't know if that was too much/too little...
Help!

Neoma
March 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for starting this up again Neoma!
You're welcome, Mahars. I must admit, my motives were entirely selfish. :)

My three all-time favorite EO's are all good for the scalp. And I love the way that they smell, individually and together. I usually add equal parts of all three to my gallon jug of white vinegar. Yes, but which ones are your three all-time faves? :shakesNeoma:
I added 2 drops of Rosemary to my rinse today (after lavender spice), so I don't know if that was too much/too little...
Help! Oh, miss murphy! I forgot to say which EO's are my favs! They are peppermint, lavender and rosemary. Yummy!

Miss Murphy
March 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Oh, miss murphy! I forgot to say which EO's are my favs! They are peppermint, lavender and rosemary. Yummy!

Ah, now it makes more sense! :p I've got all these at hand, actually. How many drops do you use per rinse?

Neoma
March 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Ah, now it makes more sense! :p I've got all these at hand, actually. How many drops do you use per rinse?
I haven't got a clue. :confused:I add three capsful each (they're tiny caps) into the gallon jug of WV.

n3m3sis42
March 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I found out about the CV shampoo bars through the longhair community on LiveJournal last weekend, and I went a little crazy.

This is what I ordered:
Cafe Moreno Shampoo Bar
Mud and Clay Shampoo Bar
Lavender Spice Shampoo Bar
Summer Sunshine Shampoo Bar (sample)
Cucumber Lime Soap
Rhassoul Clay Soap

My items arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to try them! Unfortunately, I'm not due to wash my hair until probably Monday, but I'll post again with my results.

Incidentally, I've been no-poo'ing (the baking soda and ACV method) for about the past year. I was pretty happy with no-poo, I felt that I had to check out these bars. Yes, I am insane.

Has anyone here gone from a similar no-poo regimen to using the CV shampoo or soap bars? What did you think?

Miss Murphy
March 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
I found out about the CV shampoo bars through the longhair community on LiveJournal last weekend, and I went a little crazy.

This is what I ordered:
Cafe Moreno Shampoo Bar
Mud and Clay Shampoo Bar
Lavender Spice Shampoo Bar
Summer Sunshine Shampoo Bar (sample)
Cucumber Lime Soap
Rhassoul Clay Soap

My items arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to try them! Unfortunately, I'm not due to wash my hair until probably Monday, but I'll post again with my results.

Incidentally, I've been no-poo'ing (the baking soda and ACV method) for about the past year. I was pretty happy with no-poo, I felt that I had to check out these bars. Yes, I am insane.

Has anyone here gone from a similar no-poo regimen to using the CV shampoo or soap bars? What did you think?

Well, for one I think you're not insane ;) I have now ordered for the third time in as many months, so I'm just as insane :D
I went from a regular routine to the bars, and for me there still is a transitioning period. I love my bars though, and wouldn't trade them.
I just love going to my soap drawer (yes, I have one :rolleyes:) before every shower and picking out the soap or, if it's washing day, hair soap I'm going to use this time.

In my last order I ordered shampooch for my sister's dog, and my question to the dog owners here is: do you follow with a vinegar rinse on your pooch as well?

I haven't got a clue. :confused:I add three capsful each (they're tiny caps) into the gallon jug of WV.

Oh, I see. So far I've been using my vinegar out of the kitchen cupboard, but maybe I'll buy my own, so I can put the oils in ahead of use.

Neoma
March 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
So far I've been using my vinegar out of the kitchen cupboard, but maybe I'll buy my own, so I can put the oils in ahead of use.miss murphy, I pour some of the herbed WV/EO into an empty conditioner bottle. I keep that portion in the bathroom. Then, when I'm ready to use it, I squirt a couple of splashes into a tall plastic sports bottle, add a few cups of water and dump it over my head.

sweetkandi
March 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
HELP! Okay, I just got my CV poo bar order in, I tried it tonight, and it made my hair soooo waxy, I couldnt even comb through it, so then i washed w/ my reg shampoo and conditioner, and still waxy. Am I doing something wrong?

Neoma
March 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
HELP! Okay, I just got my CV poo bar order in, I tried it tonight, and it made my hair soooo waxy, I couldnt even comb through it, so then i washed w/ my reg shampoo and conditioner, and still waxy. Am I doing something wrong?sweetkandi, did you use a vinegar rinse after you shampooed with the CV bar?

I shampoo twice with the CV bar, rinsing really well under running water. Then I apply my vinegar rinse.

I'm sure that you know this by now, but the soap is alkaline and the vinegar is acid. The vinegar rinse closes the hair cuticle.

I'd like to suggest that next time, you keep it really simple. Follow the method outlined above. Do not use a rinse.

Your hair will feel different while it's wet. Do not panic. When it dries, it should feel soft. I find that I do better if I don't try to detangle while my hair is wet. Rather, I pick up pieces of hair and shake them gently to speed drying. As I do this, the tangles fall out. By the time my hair is dry, it is soft an virtually tangle-free.

Also, you probably know that many people experience an adjustment period.

Let us know how the next shampoo goes, sweetkandi

sweetkandi
March 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanx Neoma, I might try the vinegar rinse next time. Maybe I just didnt rinse my hair well enough. I hope it goes better next time. I know I have to be patient, so my hair adjusts. :)

Miss Murphy
March 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Sweetkandi, I think your culprit is most definitely the missing vinegar rinse. As Neoma so expertly laid out, you need the acid to close the hair cuticle. Then you shouldn't have any waxies :)

Ashley
March 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Miss Murphy directed me here, and I'm happy to see there's a new poo bar thread! :D

Last time I wrote here, I was disappointed because shampoo bars left my hair feeling coated, still half greasy and too voluminous to be comfortable with.

Well, today I'm here to report a great success with my CV Café Moreno bar! The only change I made was the dilution of the vinegar rinse. I used to add 1 tablespoon ACV to 1 litre water, which turned out to be way too weak!
Today I diluted the ACV 1/10 (75 to 100ml on one litre), and the minute I poured it over my head, even IN the shower, my hair became really soft!
I let it soak in for half a minute to a minute, then rinsed out well and finished with a cold water rinse.

The result: Lovely clean and shiny hair and no waxy feeling whatsoever! Wow. I'm not sure if it's this particular bar or the change in the ACV rinse, but I'm so satisfied. I didn't use conditioner or leave-in, and my hair feels great. Just like it does with normal shampoo. Yay!

I hope this dilution, 1/10, is a good one. Does anyone know if it's too strong, I suppose not? Also, I'm hoping the results, even with different bars, will continue to be like this. :)

My package from PLH is on its way, I can't wait. I ordered the Chamomile Citrus and Patchouli ones, and the neutral "herbal hair rinse"...
Anyone ever tried soaps from both of these makers, and noticed any differences? They're both 100% natural, right? :)

Neoma
March 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
My package from PLH is on its way, I can't wait. I ordered the Chamomile Citrus and Patchouli ones, and the neutral "herbal hair rinse"...
Anyone ever tried soaps from both of these makers, and noticed any differences? They're both 100% natural, right? :)Ashley, I'm glad that you found a shampoo bar and ACV ratio that work for you. When you find that combo, it's like magic.

Conventional LHC wisdom has it that PLH are more cleansing (without being stripping) and that CV bars are more moisturizing. I tend to agree with that. If my memory serves me correctly, PLH bars left my hair soft and clean without being the least bit weighted down. Several PLH bars are enroute to me right now; I'll let you know whether my memory is accurate.

SweetPea88
March 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I just washed today with the CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg bar and I think it may a little too moisturizing/protein heavy for regular use. It provides nice results for me most of the time but I think it is a bar I may just need to use one in a while. I again made my ACV with some rosemary and sage--just wonderful! It really cut down on the vinegar-y smell and makes my hair soo shiny. My hair is more wavy than usual today as well.

Neoma
March 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I just washed today with the CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg bar and I think it may a little too moisturizing/protein heavy for regular use. It provides nice results for me most of the time but I think it is a bar I may just need to use one in a while. I again made my ACV with some rosemary and sage--just wonderful! It really cut down on the vinegar-y smell and makes my hair soo shiny. My hair is more wavy than usual today as well.Ohhhhh, rosemary and sage. That sounds delightful. I haven't used sage in my vinegar rinses, yet, but I should, since it has darkening properties.

It sounds like you're getting good results overall. That's great, SweetPea!

truepeacenik
March 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I got two PLH bars in a sample trade (not through here), fragrant tresses and Patchouli (yeah, yeah stereotypes!)
Here I will say, I like both CV and PLH.
I do think PLH are more cleansing than CV, and I will be coming up with a rotation guideline for that.
I like the second-day feel much more than the CV (which backs up Neoma's more moisture theory) but the ends are a touch drier.

Chromis
March 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Miss Murphy directed me here, and I'm happy to see there's a new poo bar thread! :D

Last time I wrote here, I was disappointed because shampoo bars left my hair feeling coated, still half greasy and too voluminous to be comfortable with.

Well, today I'm here to report a great success with my CV Café Moreno bar! The only change I made was the dilution of the vinegar rinse. I used to add 1 tablespoon ACV to 1 litre water, which turned out to be way too weak!
Today I diluted the ACV 1/10 (75 to 100ml on one litre), and the minute I poured it over my head, even IN the shower, my hair became really soft!
I let it soak in for half a minute to a minute, then rinsed out well and finished with a cold water rinse.

The result: Lovely clean and shiny hair and no waxy feeling whatsoever! Wow. I'm not sure if it's this particular bar or the change in the ACV rinse, but I'm so satisfied. I didn't use conditioner or leave-in, and my hair feels great. Just like it does with normal shampoo. Yay!

I hope this dilution, 1/10, is a good one. Does anyone know if it's too strong, I suppose not? Also, I'm hoping the results, even with different bars, will continue to be like this. :)

Anyone ever tried soaps from both of these makers, and noticed any differences? They're both 100% natural, right? :)

That dilution should be fine. Mine is *much* stronger and my hair thrives on it! I think partly it depends n your hair and your water hardness.

I've tried PLH bars and had no luck, ditto with Soaplady bars, but others love em!

Katja
March 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
From Neoma:
Conventional LHC wisdom has it that PLH are more cleansing (without being stripping)

Darn you enablers! I have a small (and growing) collection of CV bars, but have just submitted an order for PLH bars:

Chamomile Citrus
Ginger Beer
Peppermint & Tea Tree
Sage, Sweetgrass, & Cedar

I am interested to see whether they may work better for my slightly oily hair. We'll see . . .

Neoma
March 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Darn you enablers! I have a small (and growing) collection of CV bars, but have just submitted an order for PLH bars:

Chamomile Citrus
Ginger Beer
Peppermint & Tea Tree
Sage, Sweetgrass, & Cedar

I am interested to see whether they may work better for my slightly oily hair. We'll see . . .
hehehe...I live to enable.

Katja, I have not tried the Ginger Beer or the Sage, Sweetgrass & Cedar. Please let us know what you think of those two. I'm especially curious about the fragrance of the latter, since it does have perfume oils in it. I couldn't stand the Fragrant Tresses PLH bar because it was really perfumy. (Some people here love it.) But the idea of the Sage, Sweetgrass and Cedar really appeals to me, fragrance-wise.

kimki
March 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hello, I'm gatecrashing! :D

I CO at the moment, but now I have read through this whole thread you have all got so curious. Does anyone have any experience ordering from CV or PLH to the UK?

Any suggestions what to go for? My hair is henna'd and is quite fine and dry, the ends are still recovering from bleach.
Thank you in advance. :)

SweetPea88
March 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Ohhhhh, rosemary and sage. That sounds delightful. I haven't used sage in my vinegar rinses, yet, but I should, since it has darkening properties.

It sounds like you're getting good results overall. That's great, SweetPea!

I really love the rosemary and sage together! It really helps with shine and cuts down on the vinegar smell pretty nicely. I initially chose them because of their darkening properties (...ok & because they are in my yard).

Neoma
March 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I really love the rosemary and sage together! It really helps with shine and cuts down on the vinegar smell pretty nicely. I initially chose them because of their darkening properties (...ok & because they are in my yard).Hehe... You made me think of Martha Stewart, who always "just happens" to have the perfect flower or herb in her backyard. :D Bill Geist did a spoof where he went in his backyard and found things like empty beer cans and ugly branches. He made a "wreath." Ha!

SweetPea88
March 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hehe... You made me think of Martha Stewart, who always "just happens" to have the perfect flower or herb in her backyard. :D Bill Geist did a spoof where he went in his backyard and found things like empty beer cans and ugly branches. He made a "wreath." Ha!

Haha, that's funny! Yeah I wouldn't exactly call myself Martha...:p

Ashley
March 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Today, the day after washing, I have a silly, way too greasy spot on the crown and lower; where all the hair comes together.

Anyone have a clue how it greased up so quickly?

n3m3sis42
March 24th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Here's an update on my last post about all those CV shampoo bars I bought (and thank you to Miss Murphy for saying you don't think I'm insane).

This morning, I washed my hair with my new Cafe Moreno shampoo bar. I oiled last night with coconut oil, because I've heard some people say that the bars make their hair kind of stripped. As far as the actual shampooing process goes, here's what I did. I bought one of the nylon pouches that CV sells and put the bar in there. I rubbed it between my hands to get a lather started, and then rubbed it gently in circles around the crown of my head. I then rubbed the lather in a little with my fingers, rinsed the top and then the length, and then repeated the process.

I followed my wash with an ACV rinse, which I left on while I washed the rest of me, and then I did a cold water final rinse before getting out of the shower. My hair was just as easy to comb out as with the BS/ACV regimen I've been using for the past year, and it feels good so far.

I'll keep you all posted on how my hair is for the next few days post-wash. :D

Miss Murphy
March 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hello, I'm gatecrashing! :D

I CO at the moment, but now I have read through this whole thread you have all got so curious. Does anyone have any experience ordering from CV or PLH to the UK?

Any suggestions what to go for? My hair is henna'd and is quite fine and dry, the ends are still recovering from bleach.
Thank you in advance. :)

I have ordered twice from CV to Austria (and I have a third order on the way). The first time it took almost 4 weeks, the second time not nearly two. Ida offers a very reasonably priced shipping option (the flat envelope). Plus, with the current USD-GBP exchange rate, shopping should be a steal for you anyhow.

Her bars are quite moisturizing, as has been mentioned before, so any should be fine, I guess. I would stay away from the honey beer and egg bars for a first order, but all others should be ok. Why not try an "all-time favourite", like summer sunshine? You can check out Claudia's article "How to enjoy a shampoo bar" on the CV website, she lists a couple of bars and how she liked them.

Oh, and on a personal note: I just sent out an order for PLH bars, you evil evil enablers! :D I ordered fragrant tresses and aloe fresh.

SweetPea88
March 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
My CV bars arrived! Cafe Moreno, Summer Sunshine, and Nettle full size bars. I'll probably try the Cafe Moreno tonight and write about how it goes.

Sam-I-Am
March 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Today, the day after washing, I have a silly, way too greasy spot on the crown and lower; where all the hair comes together.

Anyone have a clue how it greased up so quickly?

I haven't been keeping up on this thread and don't know your routine; however, when I use a too-strong vinegar rinse, my hair looks greasy a lot faster. I have no idea why vinegar makes hair look greasy, but there is my experience!

Sam-I-Am
March 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Yesterday I washed my scalp twice with my new full-size bar of Nettle shampoo, and conditioned the length with Honey Butter soap, followed by a very weak vinegar rinse and some conditioner. I had GREAT hair, although it was huge! I am still trying to find the best strength for the vinegar rinse - too much means greasy hair, but apparently too little makes for very fluffy hair.

But anyway, my length just loves the Honey Butter soap!

Ashley
March 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Sam-I-Am! The funny thing is, the rest of my hair looks absolutely fine, it's just that spot on my crown. Odd!

kimki
March 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have ordered twice from CV to Austria (and I have a third order on the way). The first time it took almost 4 weeks, the second time not nearly two. Ida offers a very reasonably priced shipping option (the flat envelope). Plus, with the current USD-GBP exchange rate, shopping should be a steal for you anyhow.

Her bars are quite moisturizing, as has been mentioned before, so any should be fine, I guess. I would stay away from the honey beer and egg bars for a first order, but all others should be ok. Why not try an "all-time favourite", like summer sunshine? You can check out Claudia's article "How to enjoy a shampoo bar" on the CV website, she lists a couple of bars and how she liked them.

Oh, and on a personal note: I just sent out an order for PLH bars, you evil evil enablers! :D I ordered fragrant tresses and aloe fresh.

Thank you very much for that. I will go and have another look. I'm glad you said the shipping is resonable and like you said the exchange rate helps! :D

I will be sure to post how I got on to all.

n3m3sis42
March 24th, 2008, 04:46 PM
This morning, I washed my hair with my new Cafe Moreno shampoo bar. I oiled last night with coconut oil, because I've heard some people say that the bars make their hair kind of stripped. As far as the actual shampooing process goes, here's what I did. I bought one of the nylon pouches that CV sells and put the bar in there. I rubbed it between my hands to get a lather started, and then rubbed it gently in circles around the crown of my head. I then rubbed the lather in a little with my fingers, rinsed the top and then the length, and then repeated the process.

I followed my wash with an ACV rinse, which I left on while I washed the rest of me, and then I did a cold water final rinse before getting out of the shower. My hair was just as easy to comb out as with the BS/ACV regimen I've been using for the past year, and it feels good so far.

I'll keep you all posted on how my hair is for the next few days post-wash. :D

I hope it doesn't violate some kind of forum etiquette for me to be quoting my own post! Anyway, here's the latest.

My hair is really soft and shiny, and it seems generally happy. There is absolutely no tangling or frizz. My only complaint is that it's a little flat. I'm thinking that it either didn't need the oiling I gave it last night, or that once again I've overdone it with the oil (I'm really bad about that).

Anyway, so far, so good!

Neoma
March 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I hope it doesn't violate some kind of forum etiquette for me to be quoting my own post! Anyway, here's the latest.

My hair is really soft and shiny, and it seems generally happy. There is absolutely no tangling or frizz. My only complaint is that it's a little flat. I'm thinking that it either didn't need the oiling I gave it last night, or that once again I've overdone it with the oil (I'm really bad about that).

Anyway, so far, so good!n3m3sis42, I find that my hair usually looks a "little flat" when I oil it and shampoo with poo bars. Ida says that oiling isn't necessary, since her bars are made of oils. I like to oil -- my hair loves it. I just remember that if my hair looks a little flat, that's why. Or, if I want to remove the excess oil, I chose one of two routes...

1. I CWWV -- apply a big handful of cheap conditioner, as if I were going to CO and massage in, then rinse. Then I shampoo twice with my shampoo bar, and follow with my usual vinegar rinse. Conditioner removes oil really effectively.

2. Shampoo three times, instead of two, with my shampoo bar.

HTH

n3m3sis42
March 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM
n3m3sis42, I find that my hair usually looks a "little flat" when I oil it and shampoo with poo bars. Ida says that oiling isn't necessary, since her bars are made of oils. I like to oil -- my hair loves it. I just remember that if my hair looks a little flat, that's why. Or, if I want to remove the excess oil, I chose one of two routes...

1. I CWWV -- apply a big handful of cheap conditioner, as if I were going to CO and massage in, then rinse. Then I shampoo twice with my shampoo bar, and follow with my usual vinegar rinse. Conditioner removes oil really effectively.

2. Shampoo three times, instead of two, with my shampoo bar.

HTH

Neoma, thanks so much for your response. I saw what Ida said on her site about how oiling wasn't necessary (and how for some people, conditioning wasn't either) when using her shampoo bars. I saw this before deciding to oil anyway, but for some reason, I guess I didn't quite believe her. ;-)

My hair *feels* really happy, so I'll most likely just deal with the flatness for now and skip the oiling the next time around. But I really appreciate your tips on removing the excess oil, because I'm sure that at some point I'll decide that my hair needs to be oiled again (my hair gets really dry on occasion, especially in the winter), and then I'll probably get carried away and use too much and need to remove it.

Neoma
March 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM
You're welcome, n3m3sis42. :)

sapphire-o
March 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Just adding a comment about the cafe moreno bar. I tried it and my hair didn't like it (too mild) so I gave it to DH to use, who has a completely different type of hair. He used it about 5 or 6 times in a row now and I noticed his hair really darkened. It's a dark blond/ash blond before and now it's looking golden brown. I myself love blond hair so I'm not sure what to think about it, but I have to say a true brown color looks very nice on him, kinda more interesting and smart looking. :) Does anybody know if this would eventually fade if he stops using it? On the other hand I think this bar might not do anything to dark hair at all since the color deposit isn't very much.

Miss Murphy
March 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I hope it doesn't violate some kind of forum etiquette for me to be quoting my own post!

Didn't your mother tell you that quoting yourself makes you go blind :D

Sorry for the hijack, back on topic :silly:

n3m3sis42
March 25th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Didn't your mother tell you that quoting yourself makes you go blind :D

Hehe, silly. :D

Does anybody know if this would eventually fade if he stops using it? On the other hand I think this bar might not do anything to dark hair at all since the color deposit isn't very much.

I noticed when I used this bar yesterday (I have dark brown hair that's been henna'ed and has a few whites at the top) that my whites seemed a little less obvious. However, I wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking, so I didn't mention it in my post. As for whether the effects on your DH will fade, I'm not sure--but the CV website has a link to instructions for coffee rinses on the page where you can order the Cafe Moreno bar. The coffee-rinse page says not to use on very light or bleached hair since coffee can stain light or porous hair. Not sure if this applies to the bars as well, though.

kimki
March 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Well I ordered Cafe Moreno and Nettle. :D (They were all out of Summer Sunshine) Ida was extrememly quick to respond and she was very helpful. The shipping was alot cheaper than I expected too.

Now I just have to wait patiently...:D

SweetPea88
March 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Well I ordered Cafe Moreno and Nettle. :D (They were all out of Summer Sunshine) Ida was extrememly quick to respond and she was very helpful. The shipping was alot cheaper than I expected too.

Now I just have to wait patiently...:D

I may have stolen your Summer Sunshine! :rolleyes: I just received my order yesterday which included all three that you mentioned.

Chromis
March 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Just adding a comment about the cafe moreno bar. I tried it and my hair didn't like it (too mild) so I gave it to DH to use, who has a completely different type of hair. He used it about 5 or 6 times in a row now and I noticed his hair really darkened. It's a dark blond/ash blond before and now it's looking golden brown. I myself love blond hair so I'm not sure what to think about it, but I have to say a true brown color looks very nice on him, kinda more interesting and smart looking. :) Does anybody know if this would eventually fade if he stops using it? On the other hand I think this bar might not do anything to dark hair at all since the color deposit isn't very much.

I notice a slight difference using it and have dark brown hair. That's actually the reason I got it even though I'm not a fan of coffee and was pretty wary of the patchiolli (sp)! The smell is actually quite nice, doesn't smell much like either, just kind of masculine and my hair really likes it.

kimki
March 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I may have stolen your Summer Sunshine! :rolleyes: I just received my order yesterday which included all three that you mentioned.

Doh...I knew it...you!! :) Tell me if it's good and then next batch your not allowed to get it until I get some! :D

kimberlily
March 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
See, I'm not nuts about the Cafe Moreno. Neither is DH. Neither of us is nuts about the scent (even though I adore Patchouli) and the lather was disappointing. I bought it for him in hopes that it would darken his greys, but it didn't have any effect.

Ashley
March 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I just washed with Café Moreno again... As soon as you apply the vinegar rinse, your hair just immediately softens like crazy!

I have some questions though...

1) With poo bars, it's completely okay to lather up big time, right? How does a 100% natural bar create lather in the first place?
2) How "safe" for skin are vinegar rinses? Are there no negative sides to this? It scares me to put an acidic something on my head without knowing a thing or two about it.
3) For those familiar with the ingredients of this particular bar; what is it in the Café Moreno bar that made my facial skin so pure? My skin was not completely spot free, but I just used this bar on my face too and it is so soft. It's like it calmed my skin down.

Neoma
March 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I notice a slight difference using it and have dark brown hair. That's actually the reason I got it even though I'm not a fan of coffee and was pretty wary of the patchiolli (sp)! The smell is actually quite nice, doesn't smell much like either, just kind of masculine and my hair really likes it.

I love the fragrance of coffee. I dislike patchouli on its own, but I seem to like it when it's combined with certain other fragrances. (One of my favorite fragrances is Lush's Karma, which includes patchouli.) I agree with Chromis that Cafe Moreno doesn't smell like coffee or patchouli -- it smells like something else entirely. I don't necessarily think of it as a masculine scent, but it is certainly a "strong" scent. For the record, it doesn't linger in my hair, which is a pity, since I do love the fragrance.

Cafe Moreno is one of my favorite CV bars.

I do believe that it makes my hair look a bit darker, though I'm not sure whether the results are very temporary (one wash) or a bit longer lasting.

kimberlily
March 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Ashley, I can't answer all your questions, but vinegar rinses are totally safe for your skin. In fact, it has helped clear up my acne on my upper back :)

And yes, you can totally lather up with shampoo bars. Just don't rub up your hair. Down only, or you'll lift the cuticle and that is hard on your hair.

The lather comes from the saponification of the oils the soap is made from. When lye is mixed with the oils, it changes the properites of the oils.

Neoma
March 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
And yes, you can totally lather up with shampoo bars. Just don't rub up your hair. Down only, or you'll lift the cuticle and that is hard on your hair.

Ashley, I second what kimberlily said.

I like to describe the process as "gliding" the bar over my wet hair rather than "rubbing" it.

Ashley
March 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks, kimberlily and Neoma!

I wasn't sure what to think of vinegar on its own, it seemed kinda scary at first to put it on my scalp. Like some strange reaction would occur or something, LOL.

Also, anyone a clue what causes the amount of volume I get from these bars? My bun was quite a bit bigger and better to style because of the texture.

Calista
March 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM
The stuff the Café Moreno bar smells so strongly of is cloves.

And actually the vinegar rinse should be beneficial to the skin, as the skin is naturally protected by an acid mantle. It has a pH of about 5.5. The (alkaline) soap destroys that acid mantle, and the vinegar rinse helps rebuild it.

swan
March 26th, 2008, 07:28 AM
kimberlily, --you mentioned vinegar clearing up acnes on your back. i'm actually looking for a natural product to fight those nasty acnes on upper back and shoulders. i just don't want to go back to chemical bodywashes. could you tell me how you use it? i use ACV on my scalp as my last rinse after poo bars but i always rinse my body -not the hair- afterwards to get rid of any possible smell. do you leave it on? thanks for any tips :)

lilla
March 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I am interested in trying a shampoo bar, but I have a couple questions before ordering. I swim almost daily, and will be using a cocout oil treatment for this. How effective are the bars at removing oil? What is the best bar for fine hair that would still remove all the oil?

Miss Murphy
March 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I am interested in trying a shampoo bar, but I have a couple questions before ordering. I swim almost daily, and will be using a cocout oil treatment for this. How effective are the bars at removing oil? What is the best bar for fine hair that would still remove all the oil?

Lilla, most members have good experiences with poo bars removing oil. You will probaly have to lather more often than with regular shampoo, though.
I would recommend Prairieland Herbs, as their bars are usually less moisturizing and more cleansing than CV bars.

Calista
March 26th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Lilla, I do heavy coconut oilings as well, and I have never had any problems removing oil with shampoo bars, even CV ones. You do need to shampoo several times, though, as Miss Murphy mentioned.

kimberlily
March 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM
kimberlily, --you mentioned vinegar clearing up acnes on your back. i'm actually looking for a natural product to fight those nasty acnes on upper back and shoulders. i just don't want to go back to chemical bodywashes. could you tell me how you use it? i use ACV on my scalp as my last rinse after poo bars but i always rinse my body -not the hair- afterwards to get rid of any possible smell. do you leave it on? thanks for any tips :)

The last thing I do before getting out of the shower is my vinegar rinse. I turn off the water, dip my length in the rinse, then pour the whole thing over my head. I don't rinse afterward.

I don't specifically target my back - it just runs down my back and I noticed that my back acne has cleared up. The only thing that changed about my routine was adding the vinegar rinse (for the record, I use 2 tbsp of white vinegar and 1/2 tsp of citric acid in a pitcher of filtered water. ACV doesn't seem to work as well for me).

I find that I can get a heavy oiling out very easily with shampoo bars. My hair type is different from yours, but I find the Summer Sunshine works very well at getting a heavy oiling out. I lather twice.

Hedera
March 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I've been using the CV bars since December, and I LOVE them!!!
I can't see myself using a different washing method any time soon, and dog knows I've tried a few... :rolleyes:

Most bars worked at least ok for me, some of them (Nettle, Herb Garden) good, but my absolute, hands-down favourite is the Rosemary-Lavender-Aloe; perfect hair! :cheese:
And it stays perfect for at least three days, too. :inlove:

To everyone who is suffering from build-up, waxy hair, greasy spots on the scalp etc: do remember that it's very important not only to work up a good lather at least once or twice, but also to work that lather through your hair (gently) very well, for quite a while! The soaps needs some time to do their work, and you also need to put in more 'mechanical' work than with methods like shampoo, CO etc.

Rinsing out well is important, but working the suds through your hair before that is important, too. :)

Because the CV bars are so gentle, I use them on my ends as well, the second time I lather.
I do use a conditioner afterwards (Lavera deep treatment, or repair treatment or something like that), but I've found that I have to be very careful with leave-ins; even a tiny bit can make my hair look stringy.

The first month or two, my hair was still a bit weird on DD1 (and looked much better on DD2), but now it seems it's already good on the first day.

Unlike for some other people, it's not only made my hair more bunn-able, but also much more wear-downable! It has nice body, is hardly stringy (only the dye-damaged ends a little bit), and it's just a nice, soft, big, shiny head of hair!
I can wear it down at least 2 or 3 days after washing, and I can go comfortably at least 5 days before washing again (I actually wash once a week now, but the last couple of days it's still rather greasy - which doesn't really show unless it's down).

lilla
March 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Ok I just ordered the cafe moreno, olive babbasau, and nettle. They were out of quite a few! I also ordered a solid lotion. I was so glad I didn't check out the shea and cocoa butter before I ordered, or I would've gotten those too!

Melein
March 27th, 2008, 01:00 AM
My bars arrived!

I'm now regretting that I washed my hair yesterday as I'm impatient to try them out. I have Nettle, Cafe Moreno and Lavender Spice - they smell lovely!

This is probably answered elsewhere in the thread, but it's a long thread - is it a good idea to wash with baking soda before using the CV bars? Does that prevent the initial gunkiness that can occur due to product buildup?

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 02:11 AM
My bars arrived!

I'm now regretting that I washed my hair yesterday as I'm impatient to try them out. I have Nettle, Cafe Moreno and Lavender Spice - they smell lovely!

This is probably answered elsewhere in the thread, but it's a long thread - is it a good idea to wash with baking soda before using the CV bars? Does that prevent the initial gunkiness that can occur due to product buildup?

Melein, a lot of members recommend to do a clarifying BS-wash. That way you can start with a clean slate.
Check this post out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=34941&postcount=post#23

Great that your stuff has arrived! I got a package from them today too - some new samples (I think I now have all I wanted to try out), plus 2 tins of shea. My skin just looooves shea :)

SweetPea88
March 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I've now tried my new Cafe Moreno and Summer Sunshine CV bars!

The Cafe Moreno felt so rich and creamy as it lathered and has a wonderful clove smell. It made my hair very soft and shiny. I can't give the best review right now because when I used it I went to bed with wet/damp hair, which never turns out nice for me! I'll have to use it again and let my hair fully air dry to give a better review.

I tried Summer Sunshine last night and I really think it's one of the best I've tried so far! It lathered very well and my hair felt nice and clean, not stripped in any way. This was especially good because when I washed my hair, it was quite oily/greasy. I let my hair dry fully, swung it over my pillow for the night, and woke up with beautiful hair!! It has wave, so much body, and feels very soft and light...just perfect! It really makes it hard for me to wear it up today!

SweetPea88
March 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Ok I just ordered the cafe moreno, olive babbasau, and nettle. They were out of quite a few! I also ordered a solid lotion. I was so glad I didn't check out the shea and cocoa butter before I ordered, or I would've gotten those too!

I know! I just happened to look at their site just now...5 out of the 15 are only available now!

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Calista, I got some baking soda, yay! My drugstore chain didn't have any, but the pharmacy did. 100g (which is enough for at least 2, maybe 3 washings) for 75 cents. That's probably the cheapest thing I ever bought for my hair :D

sapphire-o
March 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Ya I just emailed CV about a soap bar. They said they're very behind in making the soap because they just moved. They hope to catch up with everything before summer. I know I'm not ordering until my favorite soap become available.