PDA

View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36]

clairenewcastle
March 16th, 2023, 06:42 PM
I use Faith in Nature shampoo bar and conditioner bar right now and love the shampoo, conditioner is fiiiiiine but am yet to find a conditioning bar I love.

I bought a lavender Faith in Nature shampoo bar a few months ago and love it, I am a huge fan of their products. It is my first time using a shampoo bar.

Nineteenbirds
March 17th, 2023, 11:42 AM
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use styling products if you are using a shampoo bar. There are so many different kinds of bars and conditioning methods available that it might take some experimenting to find one that works well with your hair and with the other things you use.

When I started using bars, I got a lot of sample sizes from Chagrin Valley and went through them all until I found the right one for my hair, and also experimented with different ways to rinse and condition it. I finally hit on a good combination, and I've been doing it the same way for a few years, now. I use styling gels occassionally and it's never a problem washing them out when I shampoo.

pumpkinsage
March 17th, 2023, 03:02 PM
I am pondering about trying shampoo bars again;)
I search for information how to handle styling. I know wavy and curly girls can use shampoo bar but I also read that styling products should be ditched with this method. So my main concern is how I define my texture?
My hair is terrible without gel or mousse :rolleyes:

I've used a few different shampoo bars and I'm still able to use my curly hair products :) You can always look for ones that are creamier or thicker to help with frizz - that usually means a bit more oil or butters to lock in moisture! From Ethique, I use the Frizz Wrangler Smoothing bar! I think it works very nicely and I follow up with either Ethique's Too Delicious Intensive conditioner bar or my Pattern conditioner for medium curlies. Then, I use my usual leave-in, cream, and oil!

I actually never knew they suggested to not use products cause it works fine for me with products, otherwise my hair would be really dry.

paulownia
March 18th, 2023, 01:48 AM
I've used a few different shampoo bars and I'm still able to use my curly hair products :) You can always look for ones that are creamier or thicker to help with frizz - that usually means a bit more oil or butters to lock in moisture! From Ethique, I use the Frizz Wrangler Smoothing bar! I think it works very nicely and I follow up with either Ethique's Too Delicious Intensive conditioner bar or my Pattern conditioner for medium curlies. Then, I use my usual leave-in, cream, and oil!

I actually never knew they suggested to not use products cause it works fine for me with products, otherwise my hair would be really dry.

I must have stumbled on some very restrictive site then :p
Thanks, that means I can still use my gel. I don't have frizz so extra oils and butters will be not necessary ;). I think I will try herbal shampoo bars.

pumpkinsage
March 18th, 2023, 07:46 PM
I must have stumbled on some very restrictive site then :p
Thanks, that means I can still use my gel. I don't have frizz so extra oils and butters will be not necessary ;). I think I will try herbal shampoo bars.

Oh wonderful! You'll have an easy time finding nice herbal shampoos then. Please do tell which one(s) you decide to get, I'd love to know about more options and how you like them :)

paulownia
March 19th, 2023, 03:44 AM
Oh wonderful! You'll have an easy time finding nice herbal shampoos then. Please do tell which one(s) you decide to get, I'd love to know about more options and how you like them :)
I bought two 18 gram samples of J.R Liggetts Old Fashioned Shampoo Bar, one with tea tree and hemp oil and one with jojoba and peppermint;)
Tests during the week:D

Neoma
March 19th, 2023, 04:46 PM
I bought two 18 gram samples of J.R Liggetts Old Fashioned Shampoo Bar, one with tea tree and hemp oil and one with jojoba and peppermint;)
Tests during the week:D

Liggetts makes lovely shampoo bars. The company has been around forever. Please let us know how you like them. The Jojoba and Peppermint sounds lovely!

Kat
March 19th, 2023, 07:10 PM
I always have one of their bars in my rotation. I think I have the plain one right now... the herbal one last time, which I think I slightly prefer.

Of the Fae
March 22nd, 2023, 11:34 AM
I'm also interested! I have a few which I got as a gift, and want to stop using bottle shampoos because plastic. But the last time I used one it left a horrible greasy residue on my head which I hated. I read some do a vinegar rinse, does that help?

paulownia
March 23rd, 2023, 12:30 AM
Liggetts makes lovely shampoo bars. The company has been around forever. Please let us know how you like them. The Jojoba and Peppermint sounds lovely!
I tried it yesterday :D
Since I have some regular shampoo left I thought I might ease into shampoo bars by adding it to my usual routine. I wash my hair with a method that you could call reversed CWC;) I shampoo once, condition and the wash my scalp second time. This prevents my hair from being weighed down.
So I used liquid shampo first, then conditioner, and washed with shampoo bar again. It was peppermint and jojoba one.
What a luxurious lather;). I rinsed my hair with marigold infusion with a dash of white vinegar and then styled as usual.
Clean and shiny hair, volume and lift on the roots. I will continue using it;)

Neoma
March 23rd, 2023, 11:18 AM
Since I have some regular shampoo left I thought I might ease into shampoo bars by adding it to my usual routine. I wash my hair with a method that you could call reversed CWC;) I shampoo once, condition and the wash my scalp second time. This prevents my hair from being weighed down.
So I used liquid shampo first, then conditioner, and washed with shampoo bar again. It was peppermint and jojoba one.
What a luxurious lather;). I rinsed my hair with marigold infusion with a dash of white vinegar and then styled as usual.
That sounds like a very successful cleansing routine! :cheer:

pumpkinsage
March 23rd, 2023, 02:01 PM

Ohhh love luxurious lathers!! Thank you for the update!! It does sound like a nice routine like Neoma said :)

Nineteenbirds
March 24th, 2023, 07:24 AM
I'm also interested! I have a few which I got as a gift, and want to stop using bottle shampoos because plastic. But the last time I used one it left a horrible greasy residue on my head which I hated. I read some do a vinegar rinse, does that help?

I rinse with 1/2 cup of unseasoned rice vinegar in a quart of warm water. It's definitely a necessary part of the routine! A lot of people use cider vinegar, but I didn't like the smell.

Kat
March 24th, 2023, 03:20 PM
Oh, rice vinegar, interesting! I've thought of switching to citric acid because I don't like the vinegar smell either (I don't mind it necessarily, just don't like how it comes back if my hair gets damp, like from rain or sweat). But I've heard of a few people's bad experiences, so I'm not sure if I want to take something I know works (vinegar) and try something that I might regret/not like...

Neoma
March 24th, 2023, 08:09 PM
Oh, rice vinegar, interesting! I've thought of switching to citric acid because I don't like the vinegar smell either (I don't mind it necessarily, just don't like how it comes back if my hair gets damp, like from rain or sweat). But I've heard of a few people's bad experiences, so I'm not sure if I want to take something I know works (vinegar) and try something that I might regret/not like...
Kat, citric acid leaves my hair too soft. White vinegar doesn't smell as bad as ACV, at least to me. And I add essential oils to it.

You may also want to try not using an acid rinse of any kind. I don't need them when I use certain shampoo bars. We have semi-soft water where I live. :flower:

Nineteenbirds
March 25th, 2023, 08:06 AM
Kat, citric acid leaves my hair too soft. White vinegar doesn't smell as bad as ACV, at least to me. And I add essential oils to it.

You may also want to try not using an acid rinse of any kind. I don't need them when I use certain shampoo bars. We have semi-soft water where I live. :flower:

I tried citric acid once or twice, and it made my hair feel like straw! But some people really like it. Just more proof that we each have to figure out our own way, right?

Neoma
March 25th, 2023, 04:43 PM
I tried citric acid once or twice, and it made my hair feel like straw! But some people really like it. Just more proof that we each have to figure out our own way, right?

Absolutely, Nineteenbirds!

What's more, I find that my hair responds to products differently when my hair is at different lengths!

Kat
March 25th, 2023, 07:28 PM

Oh no, I have to use acid. If I don't, my hair is like straw. There were a few times when I was younger when I washed my hair with soap (getting out of the pool and realizing I forgot my shampoo) and wondered why it was AWFUL after. Well, because at the time I didn't know about vinegar rinses. Now, I've not tried not doing it these days, but after I shampoo my hair is very "grabby" or "grippy" and feels terrible; it's back to smooth after the vinegar rinse. There's no way I'd even want to deal with my hair to try not using the vinegar.

I don't think my hair could be "too soft," though!

Neoma
March 26th, 2023, 08:20 PM
Oh no, I have to use acid. If I don't, my hair is like straw. There were a few times when I was younger when I washed my hair with soap (getting out of the pool and realizing I forgot my shampoo) and wondered why it was AWFUL after. Well, because at the time I didn't know about vinegar rinses. Now, I've not tried not doing it these days, but after I shampoo my hair is very "grabby" or "grippy" and feels terrible; it's back to smooth after the vinegar rinse. There's no way I'd even want to deal with my hair to try not using the vinegar.

I don't think my hair could be "too soft," though!

I hear you. So many things can make a different: hair type, water hardness, the type of shampoo bar... It's like you said in your siggy! :flower:

aloewurly
August 23rd, 2023, 01:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the shampoo bar I own is a soap based one, and that's why I couldn't get it to work before. I'm going to stick with it for two weeks (coupled with an ACV rinse) to see if I can make it work. My hair isn't even ear length yet, so I think if I figure it out early, I can actually stick to it when I have longer hair!

aloewurly
August 23rd, 2023, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the shampoo bar I own is a soap based one, and that's why I couldn't get it to work before. I'm going to stick with it for two weeks (coupled with an ACV rinse) to see if I can make it work. My hair isn't even ear length yet, so I think if I figure it out early, I can actually stick to it when I have longer hair!

Confirmed with manufacturer and yes, it's a soap bar! I'm excited to figure it out.

cadaverinna
August 23rd, 2023, 12:08 PM
Today, after 3 years since I gave up on them, I'm gonna try out one I made(oats and lavender) followed by an ACV rinse(or kombucha vinegar if it's ready). Wish me luck!

https://scontent.fsdu38-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/368296233_999239594741178_2481211837666168055_n.jp g?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=-ltmn8gu7XkAX8l8GDf&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdu38-1.fna&oh=00_AfCfTlm1CYWLeJ_kxIbdKvic0gBf1w-IdtRxqkqZGz0f4g&oe=64EBB87D

Kat
August 23rd, 2023, 07:41 PM
Ooh, that looks nice!

LydiaStauffer
August 25th, 2023, 03:51 PM
Confirmed with manufacturer and yes, it's a soap bar! I'm excited to figure it out.

if the one you have doesn't work out and you're comfortable with using sulfates on your hair(scandalous I know) I highly recommend the Ethique shampoo and conditioner bars! I have used several other shampoo bars that left my hair sticky and waxy and stringy no matter what I did. but the Ethique ones are my favorite shampoos ever! They're also quite affordable and the conditioner is non-silicone which I love! I will use sulfates but not silicones on my hair.

aloewurly
September 2nd, 2023, 07:48 PM

I had to give it up, since I got a bad flare on my scalp. That was a solid try though